The new turbo boosts

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: The new turbo boosts

Post by weeezl » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:56 am

goldbug wrote: I'd say that last night's episode showed how these elements can actually work in the shot. When KITT took off, we saw the engine effect, the blue flame and then the lift then the landing. This was the most satisfying turbo boost to date in the show. :)
Yeah, I loved this TB, for a second I thought Kitt was gonna come flying out of the screen! :good:

Most like the original TB so far, of course I could'nt resist playing about with it in my vid editing software to see what it was like with TOS boost sound added. "BIG GRIN" :D

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:19 am

weeezl wrote:
goldbug wrote: I'd say that last night's episode showed how these elements can actually work in the shot. When KITT took off, we saw the engine effect, the blue flame and then the lift then the landing. This was the most satisfying turbo boost to date in the show. :)
Yeah, I loved this TB, for a second I thought Kitt was gonna come flying out of the screen! :good:

Most like the original TB so far, of course I could'nt resist playing about with it in my vid editing software to see what it was like with TOS boost sound added. "BIG GRIN" :D
You must share.
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:02 pm

I've got a question- how come KI3T only "Turbo Boosts" in attack mode?" why can't he do it in Normal mode?
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:34 am

KRAvengerII wrote:I've got a question- how come KI3T only "Turbo Boosts" in attack mode?" why can't he do it in Normal mode?
No Turbo Boost side-exhausts in normal mode (see first episode for details).
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:57 am

that brings up another question- how would you describe all of KI3T's accessories in attack mode?

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:36 am

It was never said KITT couldn't Turbo Boost in Normal Mode, it just hasn't thus far.

BobbyYoung82
Volunteer

Post by BobbyYoung82 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:52 am

I missed this thread before, and yay.. normal mode turbo boost happened. anyway

I couldn't believe how watching that video, the youtube with the different episodes where KITT was fubar'd made me feel lol.. I have loved this show since I was a kid, but wow. Especially at the 3:02 mark, KITT's starting sequence really seemed to flow with the music and I got tingly shivers haha. Anyway. I love Knight Rider and the new show is getting better and better.

Every time I see a KITT replica on Ebay or a early 3rd Gen TA for sale... I have to fight off the urge to beg my wife to let me buy it.
Congratulations. You have successfully signed the petition: Save Knight Rider Signer # 2237

K.A.C.I.
Operative

Post by K.A.C.I. » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:58 am

Kram061-1 wrote:It was never said KITT couldn't Turbo Boost in Normal Mode, it just hasn't thus far.
Well, he has now, in "Knight to King's Pawn" when he T-Boosted a giant hole in KARR's robot mode :good:
Knight Autonomous Cyber-Automotive Interceptor

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:33 am

Strangest thing was, when KITT initiated Ski Mode we could see a burst of blue flame from the left side of the car. Now, KITT doesn't have the side exhausts in normal mode so where did those blue flame came out from? Surely it didn't come out of nowhere - or was this an overlook by the writers?
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:53 am

We did? I must've missed that one. I thought the Ski mode sequence was kind of weak. I would've preferred a front shot.

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:33 pm

KRAvengerII wrote:We did? I must've missed that one. I thought the Ski mode sequence was kind of weak. I would've preferred a front shot.
a few reasons why they didnt show it from the front, obvious one being they would have had to show Mike behind the wheel which would have made the CGI look more fake plus they wanted to keep KARR in shot and they would have had to map out an entirely new background in order to show the reverse angle...

short answer it was probably less time consuming...

BobbyYoung82
Volunteer

Post by BobbyYoung82 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:38 pm

The ski mode sequence was pretty short, kinda like KARR's screen time. It almost seemed like more of a ski mode hop cause it was up and down quick, but since they were driving around in the dirt, I can accept that.

Maybe there are cutouts in the exaust centered on the car and KITT can open them as the turbo boost flows and creates a jet blast that lifts the car. the JET blast could explain the blue? I dunno just how i interpret it, not as a magical blue force wave. I also remember in "TOS" that TB didn't always mean a jump either. It was also used to just go fast.

Just dumb nitpicking but the mustang gt500 "KR" is supercharged not turbocharged... maybe they should call it "superboost" .. Just kidding.
Congratulations. You have successfully signed the petition: Save Knight Rider Signer # 2237

K.A.C.I.
Operative

Post by K.A.C.I. » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:21 pm

Maybe KI3T is a turbocharged KR? "Superboost" sounds kinda silly when you think about it - For some reason it brings to my mind images of baby-Superman in a blue-red-yellow booster seat :D
I figured on something like that, where KITT had a set of strategically positioned, dedicated thrusters tied into the whole "Turbo-Boost" setup but specifically used for "Ski Mode"...I wonder about it T-Boosting in normal mode though, as the T-Boost thrusters aren't deployed except in Attack Mode.
Then again, KI2T could turbo-boost loooong before Super-Pursuit Mode came along and IIRC never had externally visible thrusters, so it makes sense for KI3T to be somehow able to do it regardless of whether in Attack Mode or not.

While I'm pondering, why call it "Ski Mode"? I don't get that... :?
Knight Autonomous Cyber-Automotive Interceptor

the original KITT
Operative

Post by the original KITT » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:36 pm

While I'm pondering, why call it "Ski Mode"? I don't get that... :?[/quote]

I think in stunt driving lingo SKIING menas on two wheels. Hasselhoff always says it... "lets go skiing" also refernce on episode 3 season 1 (Slammin Sam's stunt show spectacular) - ( sam is suppose to be acting as a stunt driver he also says "SKI")

Therefore must mean driving on two wheels.

:kitt:
Michael:“KITT I NEED YAH!”
Kitt:“ON MY WAY MICHAEL!”

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:07 pm

I can't imagine the Ski Mode sequence as a front shot in the KARR episode. I actually thought that it was really great the way they actually did it - that entire shot was pretty great for me.

It looks as though KI3T uses thrusters to achieve a lot of his mobility. I always figured that they're the equivalent of the "retro rockets" we always hear about in the original - only now, there's an effect for it. So yeah, I figure that KI3T has tiny boosters under each wheel that can raise the car into Ski Mode - I think that these are also used under the front wheels during Turbo Boost in a few episodes (but I'd have to go check).

As for turbo-boosting in Normal Mode, it'd be cool to see it done, but I think that they should differentiate between a Normal Mode turbo boost and an Attack Mode turbo boost. It seems as though the turbo in Attack Mode is assisted by the blue-flame exhaust thrusters, and from what we saw in the police chase scene and the prison break scene, KI3T can get some serious hangtime and clear very large obstacles. Normal Mode turbo boost, from what we've seen in the KARR episode, is more limited and seems more like a TOS Season 1 Turbo Boost. Differentiating between the two would avoid conflicting plot devices and it might provide for some interesting writing.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

Ontario Knight
Operative

Post by Ontario Knight » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:56 pm

I love the turbo boosts now they have progressed especially in episode 11 that popping sound from the exhaust and the flash of light from the back of the car looks somewhat realistic. Don't get me wrong I loved the TOS TB's but this is growing on me.

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:42 pm

I once joked with a friend before the series started that maybe KI3T should use "jumpers" like the one in the Speed Racer car. That way he can jump straight up, to the front, roll sideways etc. What a surprise it is to see KI3T having those thrusters that somehow act like those jumpers, especially when I saw KI3T doing Ski Mode, I was actually half expecting the car to roll sideways to avoid the missiles...

... and well, the car DID roll sideways during the grappling hook scene, though without thrusters. Heh.

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:05 pm

You know, I tried to watch the Speed Racer movie, because of the cool stunts they might have in it, but I couldn't sit through it; it was a technicolor mess. :roll:

the original KITT
Operative

Post by the original KITT » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:50 am

Ontario Knight wrote:I love the turbo boosts now they have progressed especially in episode 11 that popping sound from the exhaust and the flash of light from the back of the car looks somewhat realistic. Don't get me wrong I loved the TOS TB's but this is growing on me.
No i prefere the turbo boost in TOS, the kind of explosion sound as soon as it KI2T hits the ramp and then that echo. The best sound. New series don't like how it gets too scientific kind of ruins the run up to turbo boost. if u know what i mean.

cuz in TOS it was like 1-speed 2-then it would be hovering over the turbo boost button 3-press it and in an instant airborn. Also liked all the camera shots and angles they used. Especially in the middle of the 1st season and then all of the turbo boosts after that. (series got much better overall from that point)

:kitt:
Michael:“KITT I NEED YAH!”
Kitt:“ON MY WAY MICHAEL!”

BobbyYoung82
Volunteer

Post by BobbyYoung82 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:36 am

K.A.C.I. wrote:Maybe KI3T is a turbocharged KR? "Superboost" sounds kinda silly when you think about it - For some reason it brings to my mind images of baby-Superman in a blue-red-yellow booster seat :D
:) I did say just kidding and not that it matters but there is no turbocharged KR :D ... not that they couldn't have changed him, but I appologize, and I know superboost sounds rediculous and it was just me being a car nut that I even metioned the fact that he's supercharged, which you can clearly hear everytime they give us an acceleration sound clip. any way ! Turbo Boosts from new to old either way I like them. As long as they're in normal mode LOL

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:27 am

I like the turbo boost in the KR08. We get to let go of comparing TOS with KR08. Its new point of view and new vision. Yes we have to keep the old theme and spirit in a way, but there is not hard and fast rule that every small section has to be compared with TOS.
Think about different versions you have of the animated BATMAN. They are all good but different from one another. what say you??? :kitt: :karr:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:34 pm

What do I say? I say you completely and utterly missed the point of the Turbo Boost complaints. Let go of the original show? That's just silly to say, if it weren't for the original show and the fans that have supported it for over 26 years there would be no KR08. Not to mention, even if the original show never existed and this was brand new, it wouldn't change the fact that the CGI Turbo Boosts aren't working and even MKF knows that. I can't fault them because doing the effect in a way to make it look completely real is a monstrous pain in the backside due to all the variables involved.

The turbo boosts done in the show so far haven't come close to what was done in the original series, with real cars or at least practical effects. Even with the ones that obviously bad car landings that magically straightened out with a camera cut and became perfect landings, at least we you didn't have the jarring effect that all but one of the CGI turbo boosts have had. Turbo Boost is a stunt, its sole purpose is to look cool and provide excitement. Out of the four episodes, the last one had the best looking Turbo Boost but it probably helped with how it was done

All the animated Batman shows were good, that's your opinion. I haven't seen the new one but up until the last couple seasons of The Batman, it was downright terrible for a host of reasons (especially character designs and how EVERYONE could hold their own with Batman in a fight) that have nothing to do with comparing it to Batman: The Animated Series which still IMO is the definitive Batman outside the comics. Besides, design, voice actor, writer and direction changes aside something remains true in all of them (not counting Batman Beyond) and that's the basic story and characters. It's not exactly something hard to screw up unless you go the route of changing things that don't need to be changed. It's the old saying "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" unfortunately Hollywood has a problem adhering to that which is why we get all the bad movies adapted from TV shows, books, video games and so on that completely miss the mark.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:58 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:What do I say? I say you completely and utterly missed the point of the Turbo Boost complaints. Let go of the original show? That's just silly to say, if it weren't for the original show and the fans that have supported it for over 26 years there would be no KR08. The turbo boosts done in the show so far haven't come close to what was done in the original series, with real cars or at least practical effects. Even with the ones that obviously bad car landings that magically straightened out with a camera cut and became perfect landings, at least we you didn't have the jarring effect that all but one of the CGI turbo boosts have had. Turbo Boost is a stunt, its sole purpose is to look cool and provide excitement. Out of the four episodes, the last one had the best looking Turbo Boost but it probably helped with how it was done.
Give it time. We've seen things getting better; we've been in touch with the guys at Masterkey and we've seen the reboot. Things are improving and I feel compelled to remind everyone that many TV shows have a rough or rocky first season, because that's the preliminary stage where everything is established. I, for one, have liked seeing the turbo boosts and I have liked seeing the progress that they've made with the recent ones. I think that Turbo Boosts will continue to get better and better, especially once the KR editors and the guys at Masterkey get into a groove. Further, the show will likely accumulate a wealth of stock Kitt footage, greenscreen effects, and CGI effects that can be reused (the old show did this, so no complaints) making workflow a little easier.

The complaints were valid when the show first started, but as it continues, they're losing their weight. We know the limitations of the stunt crew and the budget. I, for one, will make the best of what stunts I get to see in Knight Rider - and if recent episodes are any indication of what's to come, I won't even have to try.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:08 pm

If you were going to pick that then you could have picked the part above where I said I understood the issues with the CGI Turbo Boost (it should really only be used to enhance it, not do the stunt) and yeah, it will improve if the show gets a second season and they'll likely have a jump car then as well. You don't have to point anything out to me, I've probably gone over this and other issues more times than you have posts over the last year.

You also apparently missed what I was saying in that response was directed more toward the "let go of the original show" line.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

gromia77
Rookie

Post by gromia77 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:07 am

I watched "Soul Survivor" yesterday and there's a very nice turbo boost scene there when the remote controlled car jumps over Michael's car. Now that's what I'd call a Turbo Boost :good:

Why can't Ford just allow some wrecking of their cars so we'd see a real turbo boost instead of CGI? I mean, it would be a bit cheaper, wouldn't it?
Zoe: Burn rubber Kitt!
Kitt: Burning rubber.