The new turbo boosts

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: The new turbo boosts

Post by Lynda414 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:29 pm

That covering on the bottom was something that was actually carried over from TOS. KI2T had it as well, though without the logo. He was completely covere by the molecular-bonded shell, even the tires. That's how he could drive over a bomb and absorb the impact.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:01 pm

Only time I remember ever seeing anything shielding the underside of the original KITT is when they moved to models for things. But when they did stunts with real cars you could regularly see the terrible looking, rusty, dirty undercarriage.

But, real cars do have them, the car in the show has it as well, not just the CGI. I'd rather see that than crappy looking parts under the car.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:09 pm

Same here. I think it offers a bit more protection too, you know?

vertigo778
Knight Rider 2008 Creative

Post by vertigo778 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:56 pm

I would agree with many of the statements so far, turbo boost is one of those particular effects that is pretty hard to get looking any good in CG.

You are quite correct that there was a goof, the logo is back on when the car goes back over. That shot was a last minute addition, we just missed it.

The sequence in general was a bit odd because the plates that were shot were a bit limited, hence no takeoff, and it made the whole thing feel really choppy. As a rule the VFX team is limited to what the director's envisions and then how they shoot it. We have a representative with the shoot, but a lot of things affect what actually gets in the shows.

That said, in the upcoming episode there is a boost with a better launch *and* landing, it's pretty sweet actually :) and you see the real underside of the car too, so you can see what it actually looks like.

peace
-vert

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:18 pm

and it makes sense too.

You don't' just put armour plating on the top part of a car, you cover the bottom as well. especially if the car's gonna park over exploding bombs :lol:
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:07 am

vertigo778 wrote:You are quite correct that there was a goof, the logo is back on when the car goes back over. That shot was a last minute addition, we just missed it.
If that's what you call a "goof" then I'd say we're in fantastic shape. Nobody is going to look at this scene and complain "geez, why'd they have put those giant letters KR on the bottom of KITT?"
turbo-kr-blur.jpg
turbo-kr-blur.jpg (44.22 KiB) Viewed 18759 times
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:26 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:
vertigo778 wrote:You are quite correct that there was a goof, the logo is back on when the car goes back over. That shot was a last minute addition, we just missed it.
If that's what you call a "goof" then I'd say we're in fantastic shape. Nobody is going to look at this scene and complain "geez, why'd they have put those giant letters KR on the bottom of KITT?"
turbo-kr-blur.jpg
I agree, heck I only noticed it because it was mentioned in the chatroom that the logo is gone from now on, so I looked closer at the jump to see what it looked like minus logo.

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:51 am

it wasn't perfect, but i'm happy to see turbo boost is back because i love turbo boost. also i'm glad they didn't show the inner workings of turbo boost like in the first two episodes.
in glen larson we trust.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:04 am

vertigo778 wrote:I would agree with many of the statements so far, turbo boost is one of those particular effects that is pretty hard to get looking any good in CG.

You are quite correct that there was a goof, the logo is back on when the car goes back over. That shot was a last minute addition, we just missed it.

The sequence in general was a bit odd because the plates that were shot were a bit limited, hence no takeoff, and it made the whole thing feel really choppy. As a rule the VFX team is limited to what the director's envisions and then how they shoot it. We have a representative with the shoot, but a lot of things affect what actually gets in the shows.
I cant even begin to imagine how hard it must be to get a car jumping to look right in CG, personally I ike the Turbo Boosts so props to all you VFX guys for your work :good: Can I just say you guys are doing a stellar job with all the VFX in general they're going from strength to strength, it was also great to get an insight into the inner workings at Masterkey from Sue's video, I love seeing just how the effects get put together.
vertigo778 wrote:That said, in the upcoming episode there is a boost with a better launch *and* landing, it's pretty sweet actually :) and you see the real underside of the car too, so you can see what it actually looks like. [/b]

peace
-vert
Nice, cant wait to see it. :good:

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:18 am

Please keep the plate covering the underside of KITT. I do not care if it has the KR or not when it comes to having the plate or not. One of the things I truly enjoyed about the TOS was the guessing game when it came to what was really inside KITT.

It's sometimes better to postulate a what if than to actually know the REAL truth.
That is a computer not a sofa.......Knight of the Drones

A firsthand viewer of Knight Rider '08!
And I LOVED it!

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:21 pm

Yeah the plating on the bottom actually makes a lot of sense. The old KITT frequently bottomed out on landings. MBS or not, it couldn't have been good for it. As long as there's no logo, the plating makes a lot of sense. Definitely a triumphant return of Turbo Boost and I'm eager for the upcoming one vertigo mentioned.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

K.A.C.I.
Operative

Post by K.A.C.I. » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:39 pm

Yeah, my take on it was always that the underplating looked that way because KITT's armored shell (in this case, the nanoskin) extended to cover the underside as well for protection, which explained how he could drive over landmines, which exploded underneath him, or drive over a bomb, without taking damage.
I do seem to recall that blue glow effect extending to the undercarriage in the Ep1 Turbo Boost, and I'm REALLY glad that's gone.
Knight Autonomous Cyber-Automotive Interceptor

dag268
Rookie

Post by dag268 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:57 pm

I dont remember which episode but I think it was drones or goliath I think they showed the undercarriage of a rear car that had the plateing. Im pretyy sure its an episode where KITT is destroyed

dag268
Rookie

Post by dag268 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:02 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaciiCB0C1w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

watch the area where MK runs up to KITT about 25 sec in :kitt:

and again at 50 sec in

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:27 pm

Guess they didn't have the kickplate there. Nice video BTW

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:03 pm

Damn that video really brings back old memories, and reminds me of the very deep relationship between Michael and KITT. A thing we haven't really been able to see yet in the new series (apart from Knight of the Hunter, but still, it isn't as deep as in TOS, just look at the Hoff's expression here, it's kinda touching).

Hopefully in the KARR episode or another we will see KI3T being beaten up badly enough to get Mike (Bruening) really worried about him. Then we'll see how the relationship can go deeper from there.
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:15 am

Why do people always use that song for music videos. No matter what sort of medium I'm looking for on youtube there's unfailing at least one my immortal music video.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

adamtrek
Recruit

Post by adamtrek » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:03 pm

Since they jump one of the actual actual cars for filming landings, then I propose an idea.

The old show jumped some cars from a ramp to a bare ground. This destroyed the cars in most cases, especially the high and fast jumps. They also used a take-off ramp and a landing ramp for some smaller jumps so they could show a continuous shot behind an object/objects hiding the ramps as well as reuse the stunt car.

What is stopping the new show from using a takeoff and return ramp for a small turbo boost over another car using a jump car meant for the abuse? Also, since this is the 21st century, the ramps don't have to be hidden. Paint them green to remove them in post. That way you can see KITT take off and land in one continuous camera move. In fact, you could still have multiple cameras for multiple angles shown for the jump. For the big jumps, use the same method, but show the car leaving the ground with a green screen ramp, cut to a CGI KITT flying through the air, then show the landing as they have been doing of the real car. So you get a real takeoff, CGI-creamy center, and real landing. It would be a giant turbo-boost cookie.

Maybe they've tried it and it just doesn't work.
Watching KITT turbo boost since 1982.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:04 am

When the original Trans Am jumped you could see the real undercarriage all rusted out. Obviously for a car that's almost indestructible the undercarriage shouldn't look like that but it should have a mechanical look to it. Not the smooth machined look and stupid KR logo on it.

Luis
Rookie

Post by Luis » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:37 am

I have to say, I really liked the turbo boost in this episode. They left it to the imagination... and it worked. I really like the landing as well.

It's almost there... Now give us the continuous shot. Bring the ramps back :)

billmcc1280
Stranger

Post by billmcc1280 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:39 pm

We only saw a piece of the turbo boost shot last night. I thought something was missing. On the MKV video we see a longer takeoff shot. In the episode last night it was a tad shorter.

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:20 pm

Luis wrote:Yeah, we can't forget that the logo + blue flames + engine shot were MAIN problems in KR2008 turbo boosts. I'm happy those are gone.
I'd say that last night's episode showed how these elements can actually work in the shot. When KITT took off, we saw the engine effect, the blue flame and then the lift then the landing. This was the most satisfying turbo boost to date in the show. :)
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

Jorge
Volunteer

Post by Jorge » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:01 pm

The landing was really great. I enjoyed it a lot.

I could do without the CG engine effect before the launch, but that's me being nitpicky. It's not a showstopper for me.

Great sequence. One of the best. I especially think so considering I'm currently rewatching the original series, and it's so apparent to me now when I see a model or stunt car to the jumps. I believe the undercarriage covering we saw in TOS was more of a function of using a model or stunt chassis and not having the time to put in the detail of a true undercarriage rather than having a script or character based reason for it (i.e. it was there to provide extra protection for KITT)

Anyway, I'm rambling. Great boost last night.

Luis
Rookie

Post by Luis » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:09 pm

They started using models in Season 2. For the most part, they *did* jump real cars. They had about 30 cars that could not be sold to paying customers due to a train/truck accident. They made some of them super light, reinforced the suspension and added a high-powered engine -- using props to hide the ramp. The biggest problem now is that the car is way too low and too expensive to jump.

ken3000
Volunteer

Post by ken3000 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:20 am

I hear some strange music before kitt jump on the prison.I remember original series have similiar music too.But I'm not sure about this.Anyone know this?