Why was Micheal Knight kept in the dark?

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

whet
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Why was Micheal Knight kept in the dark?

Post by whet » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:16 am

Thinking about TOS, it seems to me that Micheal Knight was kept in the dark about a lot of things.
When Karr first surfaced even Bonnie seemed to know all about Karr and yet Micheal didn't.
Aprial also seemed to know about Elizebeth Knight and Garth where Micheal didn't.
And Bonnie also know about CJ Jackson before Micheal did.

A little odd that Miclheal wasn't told about such things and others knew bout them.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Re: Why was Micheal Knight kept in the dark?

Post by Knight-Armen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:07 am

Perhaps they were waiting for the right moment to tell him, I don't know. Some things are better experienced than told. Perhaps Devon and April didn't want him to know the details about his past until he crossed that bridge. I guess it's very difficult and complex to develop an understanding of your past when having a memory loss.
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:05 am

Hmm? Michael didn't have any memory loss (aside from Knightmares) or past other than being Michael Long which he fully remembered. I think you got a bit of a mix up there with Michael Payton/Joe Astor in Viper or just Mike in KR08 there. :P

It's just how it was written and they had to have someone who found out about these things during the episode itself. It'd been kind of lame if everyone knew about KARR, Garthe and all that but the viewers didn't. Bonnie probably would have known about KARR from her involvement with KITT, I'm sure she would have been privy to that info. Plus there's the issue of the writers not having much mapped out so these things just came about when they were looking for ideas. Like which Devon making no mention of Garthe in the pilot because the character having not existed yet and Michael supposedly having a new face that resembled Wilton when he was younger. Though I guess that could mean Garthe also looked like a younger version of his old man too which would be fitting, if not for Devon not making any mention of Garthe which again is due to his not existing at the time. :D
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:15 am

But Michael wasn't aware of Garth or Elizabeth after he was shot in the desert. Surely he knew about them prior to the accident. Isn't that an indicaton of memory loss? I might be wrong...
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:24 am

Just thought of another one guys.
Cameran Zachrey(Please forgive me attempt to spell that LOL) agian April seemed to know about it but Micheal did not.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:06 am

Well, with Cameron Zachary I think that's just another case of there being someone who was created later and fit into having some kind of relationship, specifically Tanya with the events of KotP. Could be he was a silent partner or easily enough someone Michael didn't know about. Remember, Tanya turned on him so he was being played all along and probably wouldn't have been given much in his investigation. Then it could easily have been something that was kept quiet from Michael since there wasn't a reason to say anything unless the situation called for it. As the main character, he was meant to find out these things along with the viewer so uhh, we could share the ride or something like that. I haven't seen A Good Knight's Work in awhile so I should probably go watch it. :D
Knight-Armen wrote:But Michael wasn't aware of Garth or Elizabeth after he was shot in the desert. Surely he knew about them prior to the accident. Isn't that an indicaton of memory loss? I might be wrong...

There's no indication that Michael knew Wilton Knight prior to the events of Knight of the Phoenix other than possibly he was one of the guys Wilton was looking to drive the Knight 2000 or just that they shared a common interest at the time in taking down the bad guys in the pilot and then shared the interest of revenge for what was done to them. Michael Long wasn't related to Wilton Knight or anyone else if that's what you're getting at, at least that I'm aware of.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:10 pm

Michael Long wasn't related to Wilton Knight or anyone else if that's what you're getting at, at least that I'm aware of.
You see, here is what I don't understand: Wilton Knight found Michael Long in the desert. He saved Long's life and gave him a new face along with a new identity, Michael Knight.
Suddenly Michael, has one sister and one brother, Elizabeth and Garth Knight, are we good so far?

Who then is Michael's father and how come he's related to Elizabeth and Garth when he was named Knight after the accident? Wilton Knight is clearly not his father but who is?

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:40 pm

Well who ever Micheal's father is we know that he died.
In "Knight and Knerd he tells Allie Raymond "When my dad died, I went out and shot baskets for 5 hours straight, after that I was to tired to think to feel or anything, at least for a little while"

But I don't remeber a refrence to his mother.. unless any of you know diffrent?

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:51 pm

They aren't related at all. Michael Knight is just Michael Long's new identity since he couldn't obviously go by that name anymore, even with a new face. Elizabeth was Wilton's wife, Garthe his estranged son and Jennifer his daughter. If anything, Michael could be considered an adopted son to Wilton in some way hence Garthe calling him "brother" at one point while Jennifer was bugged until near the end of Knight of the Juggernaut that Michael looked exactly like Garthe. Apparently both characters are not only the same age but born only a day apart if the Wiki entry is right. O_o

They never really explored if Michael Long had any family as far as I remember. The only people we found out about was Stevie and his old partner. I'd assume he was an only child and his parents had passed away since it's weird that he'd accept so willingly that he could never see any of his family again. I think it's just a part of the times where they kept the drama stuff mostly at a minimum.

EDIT: Oh yeah, he did mention his dad at one point didn't he? So yeah, that just supports the idea that he had no family. Besides, it's not like any of this was mapped out from the start. They pretty much made it up as they went along.

arhskr81
Rookie

Post by arhskr81 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:02 pm

At the end of juggernut Jenifer does call Mike Sr. her brother, like he was adopted by the Wilton.
I always thought the "real" reason Wilton made Mike look like Garth is because Mike was always the son he wished he had, my opion only.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:11 pm

The behind-the-scenes reason why Michael didn't know a lot of things is that it's not a serialized show; the writers made stuff up as they went along and just made things fit.

But within the character, you can always just say that Michael was never really interested in all of the politics of FLAG. He wanted to go out and help people in the here-and-now. So he probably wouldn't have gone to a lot of trouble on his own to look into all of the things FLAG had been involved with.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

ianruk
Rookie

Post by ianruk » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:22 pm

you know in the first night rider episode when he was shot,,if i remember correctly when they say MK running devon said something along the lines of
'is it coinsidence (spelt wrong) that he looks just like....' then wilton knight cut him off

maybe he was going to say 'your son garth'

theres something to think about

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:45 pm

Nah, he finished that sentence with remaking on how his new face resembled that of a younger Wilton.