just very curious!

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

ronni3
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

just very curious!

Post by ronni3 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:46 pm

hi... I am a new member but have been coming to this site daily for news and forum posts. so today i decided to write a post. i am a viewer in pakistan, and am very very supportive of the KR franchise, i know there have been ups and downs...sum bad and very good episodes, like the last one "Knight Fever". anyway i want to ask you people a simple question.....what are the realistic chances of knight rider going into the second season? how many of you really think there will be a second season.....i really want it to go into the seecond season especially wen they are coming close to TOS and have a lot of room to experiment and have sum really good story lines...so answer up!
"If I may attempt a colloquialism of my own, Thanks Brosef" K.I.T.T

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Re: just very curious!

Post by Mr.Marcus » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:57 pm

I doubt it'll get a second season. They cut back episodes and fired the higher paid cast members which is not a good sign at all. I know there are people clinging to hope that it'll be renewed. But its like a girl who has your number. If she's interested she'll definitely call no matter how busy her life is. If she doesn't call it means she's not interested. Not that her phone got lost, she lost your number, she's busy, etc.

If this show was getting renewed then NBC would never have cut back episodes. That was the writing on the wall. The only chance I see it coming back is if there's a massive ratings spike for the remaining episodes. I don't believe this will happen since it was beat out by Shrek 2 this week. Hopefully, the remaining episodes will be a good send off.

ghidorah15
Rookie

Post by ghidorah15 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:04 pm

Mr.Marcus wrote:I doubt it'll get a second season. They cut back episodes and fired the higher paid cast members which is not a good sign at all. I know there are people clinging to hope that it'll be renewed. But its like a girl who has your number. If she's interested she'll definitely call no matter how busy her life is. If she doesn't call it means she's not interested. Not that her phone got lost, she lost your number, she's busy, etc.

If this show was getting renewed then NBC would never have cut back episodes. That was the writing on the wall. The only chance I see it coming back is if there's a massive ratings spike for the remaining episodes. I don't believe this will happen since it was beat out by Shrek 2 this week. Hopefully, the remaining episodes will be a good send off.
Don't listen to him, he's misrepresenting the situation. NBC's been doing a LOT of cutbacks for financial reasons, what with the ailing economy. They've outright canceled some other shows, but Knight Rider is not one of them. It should be okay.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:14 pm

ghidorah15 wrote:
Mr.Marcus wrote:I doubt it'll get a second season. They cut back episodes and fired the higher paid cast members which is not a good sign at all. I know there are people clinging to hope that it'll be renewed. But its like a girl who has your number. If she's interested she'll definitely call no matter how busy her life is. If she doesn't call it means she's not interested. Not that her phone got lost, she lost your number, she's busy, etc.

Don't listen to him, he's misrepresenting the situation. NBC's been doing a LOT of cutbacks for financial reasons, what with the ailing economy. They've outright canceled some other shows, but Knight Rider is not one of them. It should be okay.
I agree that as ussual we just have a hater misrepresenting the situation and that thw show will both be renewed and improved and thar financial reasons ared indeed the reason for the cutbacks in the cast. To be honest the only one I'd want to see leave is Torres. I hate that Dr Grayman bites it....

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:39 pm

There is no misrepresentation of the situation. Just a lot of false hopes based on producer optimism which should be taken as a grain of salt since they want their show to succeed. If you look at things objectively you'll see that Knight Rider is almost surely not coming back. NBC orders a full season then as soon as ratings start going down they cut back their order and trim down the cast. The regular performing shows are getting full season orders and have not had cast reductions due to the ailing economy. Office, 30 Rock, Heroes, Chuck. They've given Leno a daily primetime show next fall. When you combine this with the usual NBC reality tv programming and the projected returning shows there are less slots available for prime time shows. Doing the math means its highly unlikely that KR will be back to secure one of these few open slots.

Other shows this season have been outright cancelled which is typical network practice that's done every season for low ratings performers and has nothing to do with the ailing economy. The economy is just a convenient excuse being used by the producers who are trying to save face. One need only look at the other shows on the NBC prime time lineup which have not gotten reduced episode orders or cast cutbacks to see the invalidity of the claim that its the ailing economy. My guess as to why this show hasn't been cancelled already like Lipstick Jungle, is that the NBC/Ford contract stipulates that a certain number of episodes be produced and aired by the network to fulfill their duty under the contract and avoid damages. NBC has trimmed things down and is riding out the remaining few episodes rather than pull the plug early and pay damages.

Amir
Operative

Post by Amir » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:42 pm

Mr.Marcus wrote:There is no misrepresentation of the situation. Just a lot of false hopes based on producer optimism which should be taken as a grain of salt since they want their show to succeed. If you look at things objectively you'll see that Knight Rider is almost surely not coming back. NBC orders a full season then as soon as ratings start going down they cut back their order and trim down the cast.
We know full well the cast cuts was decided and announced before the episode number was trimmed.

arhskr81
Rookie

Post by arhskr81 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:02 pm

Again this is just a hater that is a moron. You are right the cast was cut before the episodes were trimmed, and I know for a fact that NBC did not want KR goes against American Idol, as stupid as that show is, because they know how the ratings will go. KR will be back for at least a second season becasue it's the only thing they got for wes. knights (couldn't help myself).

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:15 pm

OK, enough. There are no haters here, no morons. This TV season is less than 4 months old. It is VERY early to be discussing a renewal. Yes, the economy had a big impact on the cutback in episodes. And yes, if Knight Rider was a hit they probably would have stuck with the original number of episodes. We can spin it both ways, but please keep the personal attacks out of it. Thank you.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

wez
Operative

Post by wez » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:25 pm

i for one really hopes they gofor a 2nd season and more.. as im really lovin this show and yes i did see most of the old KR but this KR is gr8 for this time.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:23 am

arhskr81 wrote:Again this is just a hater that is a moron. You are right the cast was cut before the episodes were trimmed, and I know for a fact that NBC did not want KR goes against American Idol, as stupid as that show is, because they know how the ratings will go. KR will be back for at least a second season becasue it's the only thing they got for wes. knights (couldn't help myself).
The timing of the cast cutbacks and trimmed episodes is irrelevant. Its the fact that they are eliminating facets of the series rather than expanding them that should be alarming to anyone with an objective eye. Also, you have not taken into account the new series that will show up on the NBC fall lineup. With Leno's show, the returning veteran series, the reality shows, and brand new series do you really think KR will have an easy claim to a time slot? This is especially true for KR which is a poor to mediocre performing show. There is a greater likelihood that NBC will either move a returning veteran show to that time slot or fill it with a brand new series. You guys are talking like Knight Rider is doing well when its clearly not. Not only has the press completely written it off but the ratings just aren't there. Any hope of KR returning was gone the minute NBC said they cut the cast and reduced the episode order. If this was a winner why on earth would NBC cut the episode order? Oh right the ailing economy. Apparently that only seems to be affecting KR and not the other shows which got full season orders and their casts remained intact. LOL.

ronni3
Operative

Post by ronni3 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:49 am

thank you all for ur replies and thaughts....there seems to be a rift of thaughts. economy and ratings are a major issue. but doesnt knight rider average 7 million viewers per episode? isnt tht good enuff? also the cutbacks are done cse it takes a lot of cash to produce KR as the special effects etc donot come cheap...i mean just imagine how much they wouldve paid for the K.A.R.R episode alone. anyway as michael Pajero said its early days and ppl are getting used to the change of it from one man to fbi/Cia arc. hopefully ppl will relate more to the new show as it warms to the TOS? all is very speculative at the moment and i know that. i hope things will be clear by the K.A.R.R episode and the actual reboot.
"If I may attempt a colloquialism of my own, Thanks Brosef" K.I.T.T

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:00 am

Mr.Marcus wrote:
arhskr81 wrote:Again this is just a hater that is a moron. You are right the cast was cut before the episodes were trimmed, and I know for a fact that NBC did not want KR goes against American Idol, as stupid as that show is, because they know how the ratings will go. KR will be back for at least a second season becasue it's the only thing they got for wes. knights (couldn't help myself).
The timing of the cast cutbacks and trimmed episodes is irrelevant. Its the fact that they are eliminating facets of the series rather than expanding them that should be alarming to anyone with an objective eye. Also, you have not taken into account the new series that will show up on the NBC fall lineup. With Leno's show, the returning veteran series, the reality shows, and brand new series do you really think KR will have an easy claim to a time slot? This is especially true for KR which is a poor to mediocre performing show. There is a greater likelihood that NBC will either move a returning veteran show to that time slot or fill it with a brand new series. You guys are talking like Knight Rider is doing well when its clearly not. Not only has the press completely written it off but the ratings just aren't there. Any hope of KR returning was gone the minute NBC said they cut the cast and reduced the episode order. If this was a winner why on earth would NBC cut the episode order? Oh right the ailing economy. Apparently that only seems to be affecting KR and not the other shows which got full season orders and their casts remained intact. LOL.
Most of your claims are sadly not based on fact rather than your own opinion.
The truth is, all TV is struggling. Especially scripted-shows and news networks
The current state of everything has put a damper on NBC and they had to decide what was their best interest.
NBC has been either 3rd or 4th in the ratings for the past couple of years. Even their most-watched shows are struggling in the ratings. Infact, almost every season premier that NBC had for the fall was 3rd in the ratings. This includes the Office, My Name Is Earl, Heroes, Chuck and others.
This is a cost cutting measure.
More or less, the ratings may not have been that good, but as of NBC's standards right now, they're not incredibly crappy. If they were, the show would have been axed such as My Own Worst Enemy, Lipstick Jungle and that horrible Crusoe.
If the show were truely in trouble such as those others, then Knight Rider would have been killed off after episode 4.
Instead, they were given their back-nine. And although because of budgetary reasons, the trim to 17 was to more or less keep one of NBC's most expensive shows going. Yep, KR probably blows through more money than any other show. But now with the big-paid three going, and the cutback in monetary involvement, the show isnt costing NBC as much money as it would to have given the series the last 5 episodes.
I'd rather have a reduced first season and then a pretty big second one, rather than have a big first season and no second one.
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:40 am

The three cast members that were written was something planned before it was even announced that the show was picked up for a full season. The announcement came in late October which by then they were working on probably episode 11 if not 12 already.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:26 pm

Faithful Car KRO wrote:
Mr.Marcus wrote:
Most of your claims are sadly not based on fact rather than your own opinion.
The truth is, all TV is struggling. Especially scripted-shows and news networks
The current state of everything has put a damper on NBC and they had to decide what was their best interest.
NBC has been either 3rd or 4th in the ratings for the past couple of years. Even their most-watched shows are struggling in the ratings. Infact, almost every season premier that NBC had for the fall was 3rd in the ratings. This includes the Office, My Name Is Earl, Heroes, Chuck and others.
This is a cost cutting measure.
More or less, the ratings may not have been that good, but as of NBC's standards right now, they're not incredibly crappy. If they were, the show would have been axed such as My Own Worst Enemy, Lipstick Jungle and that horrible Crusoe.
If the show were truely in trouble such as those others, then Knight Rider would have been killed off after episode 4.
Instead, they were given their back-nine. And although because of budgetary reasons, the trim to 17 was to more or less keep one of NBC's most expensive shows going. Yep, KR probably blows through more money than any other show. But now with the big-paid three going, and the cutback in monetary involvement, the show isnt costing NBC as much money as it would to have given the series the last 5 episodes.
I'd rather have a reduced first season and then a pretty big second one, rather than have a big first season and no second one.
The logic doesn't add up. Why is KR the only show getting an episode and cast cutback? If the ailing economy is affecting all the shows then why aren't Law and Order, Chuck, Heroes, etc. getting the same treatment? Do you really think its b/c KR is more expensive to produce? Since when does a network start cutbacks for shows they have faith in? Wouldn't the exact opposite be true, they would dump more money into the show? Remember when the cast of Friends asked for a million per member per episode just after 9/11 when the economy tanked? That's 6 million just on cast salary alone. NBC paid it without a second thought. Like I said, the logic isn't there. Just a whole lot of empty dreams and wishful thinking. I'm gonna let this point of discussion die until the fall 09 slate is announced. I'll be back to say I told you so.

DeeKnight
Operative

Post by DeeKnight » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:22 pm

^^ And you would just love that.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:37 pm

Friends was also their number one show at that point and aside from cast salaries the show probably wasn't all that expensive to produce being a sitcom and all. Again, the cast reduction was something in the works before the the announcement of the show getting the back nine episodes.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar: