So what is the reboot?

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: Matthew, neps, Michael Pajaro

User avatar
madmanmalk
Recruit
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:52 pm

So what is the reboot?

Post by madmanmalk » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:17 pm

its it a collection of all the "perfect" ideas on this forum or is it another weird twist we would never have seen. Also i aspect that they will have had and improvement in the CGI given that they have about 4 weeks to do it. I hope they can add more things in like the airdynamics (showing air going along KITT really fast), that seem to look good in the pilot and worked well. :good:

User avatar
DJGM
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 540
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Manchester, England, UK.
Contact:

Re: So what is the reboot?

Post by DJGM » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:33 pm

Strictly speaking, it isn't a reboot, but more of a re-tooling. A reboot would perhaps
suggest a complete reworking of the entire franchise, effectively going back to the
drawing board and starting over again, maybe with a new cast and a new KITT.

User avatar
PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops
Posts: 2363
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:20 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: MI

Re: So what is the reboot?

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:28 am

All the retooling in the world isn't going to help if the writers still write and direct how they did in the first eight (with a few exceptions) that we've seen.=/ Hopefully those first nine episodes aren't an indication on how they view the original series.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

User avatar
NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed May 19, 2004 2:36 pm

Re: So what is the reboot?

Post by NeoRanger » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:45 am

^^ Because they should view it like... Shakespeare? Why does the original series even have an effect on the new show? Why should it have any effect on the new show? I'll concede that there's a thing or two it could pick from there, sure, but they neither have the duty or a reason to go anywhere near the original show. The series needed to get rid of the overly big cast and find a balance on its focus.

I'm sure the fact that the retooling gets rid of the government connections is a plus for those of you guys who never liked that angle and good for you and all, but I'd settle if that angle stayed and the show just found solid ground to put its feet on.

Then again, with the boatload of people who are still crying over the new show not featuring a semi, maybe I'm just talking about a new show in the wrong place.

User avatar
Kaine
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 314
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: So what is the reboot?

Post by Kaine » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:51 am

if they just wanted to produce a show with no legacy behind it they could have easily done that.
but with this show being called 'Knight Rider' and the production crew repeating the phrase "this is a continuation, not a reboot" like a mantra, the audience has expectations... and those weren't matched, yet.
in fact, they haven't done a lot from what they promised in various interviews!

User avatar
PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops
Posts: 2363
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:20 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: MI

Re: So what is the reboot?

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:26 am

NeoRanger wrote:^^ Because they should view it like... Shakespeare? Why does the original series even have an effect on the new show? Why should it have any effect on the new show? I'll concede that there's a thing or two it could pick from there, sure, but they neither have the duty or a reason to go anywhere near the original show. The series needed to get rid of the overly big cast and find a balance on its focus.

I'm sure the fact that the retooling gets rid of the government connections is a plus for those of you guys who never liked that angle and good for you and all, but I'd settle if that angle stayed and the show just found solid ground to put its feet on.

Then again, with the boatload of people who are still crying over the new show not featuring a semi, maybe I'm just talking about a new show in the wrong place.


:roll: Here you go with your assumptions again, are you going to ignore the responses to it like you did last time? Of course it shouldn't be viewed as Shakespeare but they should have enough respect for the original since this, as they've been on record of calling several times, a continuation. The writing and direction so for the most part has been beyond stupid. The original series wasn't Emmy worthy but this show in comparison makes even the worst episodes look so. When say "how they view it" I'm talking about the way it's being written and the stupidity of it. The original show had plenty of corny/cheesiness but it wasn't stuff that was generally intended, unlike here where they're purposefully doing it, the most recent example of that was the meeting and subsequent "party" at the Zodiac group's hide out, it was unfitting and stupid. It's almost like if they made a new MacGyver series and instead of focusing on what worked in that show went and turned it into MacGruber (MACGRUBER!). Okay, maybe not that bad.

I haven't really seen anyone about the lack of semi at all lately, not using that is the least of this show's problems (if you want to call that a problem) but they have gone on record numerous times that this is a CONTINUATION of the original series then they should start treating it as such. It has a legacy to live up to and so far it hasn't come anywhere close to doing that. After witnessing three steaming piles of fecal matter that came before it, I don't want this to end up being another one.

Far be it for us to actually want this show to not only be something well written and not just on par, but better than the original show, it hasn't even come close to that. I want it maintain the ideals and some of the elements and feel of the original series that kept it alive almost 23 years after the final episode aired but it hasn't really done that either. It's not about sticking this show deep into the original series mythology, but being in the same universe and maintaining the things that have kept it live for so long.

I mostly defended and stood up for this show, the pilot and the choices made for roughly a year now but I can no longer ignore and stand by the terrible choices that have been made in these first nine episodes. They say they've changed things and now we're getting the third retooling of Knight Rider in the last year. I hope the third time is the charm and not strike three.

I hope reducing the cast is going to help the remaining characters, especially with the Mike/KITT dynamic. I hope the writers and GST have learned from the first nine episodes and bringing the show more inline with the ideals of the original series is a result of that their learning what worked and what didn't. I hope these changes are going to not just be superficial but will significantly improve the show and the quality of it on all levels. I want Justin to be Michael Knight for a new generation with his being the original's son but taking on the mantle and making it his own. I this show to be successful enough that it gets great ratings and last as long if not longer than the original series. I want it to be a launching pad for all those involved to be able to do bigger and better things. Not just having a role on a short lived show that agents suggest removing from the resume. I don't want to see yet another failed attempt at bringing back Knight Rider that turns into an embarrassment to all those involved as well as fans..
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

User avatar
cloudkitt
FLAG Operative
Posts: 1125
Joined: Sun May 18, 2003 11:34 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Contact:

Re: So what is the reboot?

Post by cloudkitt » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:54 pm

NeoRanger wrote:Then again, with the boatload of people who are still crying over the new show not featuring a semi, maybe I'm just talking about a new show in the wrong place.


Since PhoenixZero effectively covered most of your assumptions, I'd just like to point out that mention of the semi, at least for me, has very little do with the original series. It has more to do with the fact that there are SEVERAL kinds of terrain where you simply cannot land a C-130. It's not exactly stealthy either.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

User avatar
NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed May 19, 2004 2:36 pm

Re: So what is the reboot?

Post by NeoRanger » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:59 pm

are you going to ignore the responses to it like you did last time

... Are you sure you have the right person? I don't recall ignoring any responses about... anything.

Of course it shouldn't be viewed as Shakespeare but they should have enough respect for the original since this, as they've been on record of calling several times, a continuation.

A continuation of the story, not a continuation of the show.

The writing and direction so for the most part has been beyond stupid.

And how is that in any way connected to the original series?

The original show had plenty of corny/cheesiness but it wasn't stuff that was generally intended, unlike here where they're purposefully doing it

That's exactly what's giving them points. A show that wants to be stupid, knows exactly where it aims. It's clear from the start and you are free to decide whether you go along with it or you change the channel. A show that falls unintentionally into bad writing is a show that truly needs a slap in the face and then improving.

the most recent example of that was the meeting and subsequent "party" at the Zodiac group's hide out, it was unfitting and stupid.

How so?

I haven't really seen anyone about the lack of semi at all lately, not using that is the least of this show's problems (if you want to call that a problem) but they have gone on record numerous times that this is a CONTINUATION of the original series then they should start treating it as such.

I'm pretty sure complaints about the semi (and hell, somewhere my eye caught the mansion too) are fairly recent. And, again, the show is a continuation of the original story two decades later. That means they go with the base that twenty years ago there was a KITT and a Michael Knight and build from there on. It's not a continuation of the original series and they sure as hell don't have to include anything from the original show- as long as they are careful enough not to fall into direct contradictions.

Far be it for us to actually want this show to not only be something well written and not just on par, but better than the original show, it hasn't even come close to that. I want it maintain the ideals and some of the elements and feel of the original series that kept it alive almost 23 years after the final episode aired but it hasn't really done that either. It's not about sticking this show deep into the original series mythology, but being in the same universe and maintaining the things that have kept it live for so long.

Here exactly is my problem with half the criticism in here. It doesn't come with valid complaints about the problems of the show as a show; it falls back into putting TOS on a pedestal and judge everything in comparison, not so much of the actual show, but people's love for it. Knight Rider, the chest-haired guy who worked with playmates on red swimsuits and the modified Trans Am died in 1986. What was kept alive was either the marketing opportunity that made things like KR2000 or the nostalgia factor that even maintain the possibility of every attempting a jab at it -be it with a show in the '90s, a show in 2008 or two videogames a few years ago. It wasn't any particular flavor that TOS carried, it wasn't a special scent that stuck with people. It was their childhood memories of a talking car. And that attitude isn't doing the show any favors either; people want to convince me they care about a good show, sit down and start presenting actual solutions. How the writing can be improved, how the directing can be improved, how the acting can be improved. Not in regards to the original show, not even in regards to what we want to see, but actual solutions one would give for any show on TV right now.

It has more to do with the fact that there are SEVERAL kinds of terrain where you simply cannot land a C-130. It's not exactly stealthy either.

1) I don't recall the semi being all that useful in diverse kinds of terrains. It served as a base of operations that was gimmicky, because it was constantly on the road.
2) Isn't the plane a leftover from the pilot that's rarely ever used? I recall it in the KOTLD, but the actual base of operations is the SSC.
3) There is no need for a semi, a plane or a boat in the show. For any reason.
Last edited by NeoRanger on Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
madmanmalk
Recruit
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:52 pm

Re: So what is the reboot?

Post by madmanmalk » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:01 pm

I'm just hoping that they will kinda improve on both storyline and the CGI, those show first and foremost the direction of the show, I think characters should come second on the list. I like watching shows like heroes witch admittedly is not as good as season 1 but then again its still good. When I watch that I feel Im watching a person fire an electric bolt however in knight rider i can pick out when a clear example of CGI was used and not well. Also i think the editing could be improved slightly. Overall its a good show but not one I'm gearing up to watch every week like I do with heroes.
:good:

User avatar
MARKK
Volunteer
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:47 pm

Re: So what is the reboot?

Post by MARKK » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:08 pm

Hi there,

This is my first post so please forgive any errors.

I live in England so haven't been able to watch any of the first eight new episodes but have seen the original pilot from February several times and loved it ! So I obviously can't pass any sort of judgement on how the series is going. I have though been getting worried as to the way it seems to be disliked or picked to pieces by a number of people but I will look forward to seeing it when I'm able. Is it really bad ? or speaking from my own experience do we just expect too much ? after all look at the original with the camera shots that accidently showed kitt with missing doors or boot or the occasional change of outfit by Michael whilst driving ! but we accept those errors don't we ?

I've got an issue with Neo Ranger's comments regarding the Original KR and the way that you refer to it as nothing more now than a marketing tool when some one or company wants to try and make a bit of money or it's nothing but nostalgia from when we were kids. Also the talk about putting the original on a "pedestal" !!!! of course the original is on a "pedestal", none of us would be here checking this site or constantly watching the original episodes even though we've seen them all hundreds of times, the good ones and yes the bad ones too ! If we didn't love the original. or have I got the wrong end of the stick ?

I don't know what it is, I just can't put my finger on it but there's something about Knight Rider, not just one thing but a combination of things that worked at that time that makes the original a true great even with the swimsuits and the dancing and the gags with Kitt and some unfortunate person walking by with a dog or jogging etc. Will any remake/reboot/continuation ever get close to that combination.

Yes KR is the sort of legacy that means that every few years someone thinks they can resurrect in some form or another because there are people out there that love KR and want to see more whether it be on tv or computer games but come on ! I mean I'm just chuffed and really thrilled that other people, tv companies, game makers etc even bother to try and meet our expectations and give us more.

I suppose my point is perhaps it just needs time for us to grow to love it ?

Hope no one takes offence :good: thank you for reading, god I'm sssoooo desperate to see the new series !

Mark GB. :kitt:

User avatar
NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed May 19, 2004 2:36 pm

Re: So what is the reboot?

Post by NeoRanger » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:01 pm

I've got an issue with Neo Ranger's comments regarding the Original KR and the way that you refer to it as nothing more now than a marketing tool when some one or company wants to try and make a bit of money or it's nothing but nostalgia from when we were kids. Also the talk about putting the original on a "pedestal" !!!! of course the original is on a "pedestal", none of us would be here checking this site or constantly watching the original episodes even though we've seen them all hundreds of times, the good ones and yes the bad ones too ! If we didn't love the original. or have I got the wrong end of the stick ?

My point was that it's both unfair and irrational to judge the new show based on our emotions for the original. It's Knight Rider and should work on a thing or two, but at the same time, it's a whole different show two decades later. It needs to cut down on the sex and try to work on its consistency, absolutely; but semi trucks, mansions, real-life turbo boosts and old guys for mentors aren't essential for the show's quality.

User avatar
PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops
Posts: 2363
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:20 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: MI

Re: So what is the reboot?

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:58 am

NeoRanger wrote:... Are you sure you have the right person? I don't recall ignoring any responses about... anything.


viewtopic.php?f=1047&t=12967&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=100#p154425

A continuation of the story, not a continuation of the show.


A continuation of what story? What true continuations of the original series has there been besides loose references or Mike mentioning his father? There has been next to nothing connecting the story of this show to the original series and I've been fine with that up until the KARR(E) thing because this show needs to find its own footing, its own place.

And how is that in any way connected to the original series?


That had nothing to do with the connection to the original series, just the fact that the show has been handled horribly for the most part and taken in a direction that was clearly wrong. Even they have seen that with the change of focus and direction that is apparently going to start with episode ten.

That's exactly what's giving them points. A show that wants to be stupid, knows exactly where it aims. It's clear from the start and you are free to decide whether you go along with it or you change the channel. A show that falls unintentionally into bad writing is a show that truly needs a slap in the face and then improving.


That's not giving them points, a show shouldn't strive to be stupid or purposefully written badly or try to appeal to the lowest common denominator but that's what they're doing, if I wanted to see something devoid of a single drop of intelligence I'd watch a movie starring Larry the Cable Guy or one of the awful spoof movies from the last several years all that's missing is some dick and fart jokes along with some other toilet "humor". Knight Rider should be, fun and yes something you can with with your brain firmly in the off position with or without friends or family around but even in that state it shouldn't make you say to yourself, well this is stupid. If that's truly what they're working toward then they should be fired.

There's a difference between the characters being self aware and the writers writing poorly scripts. I like the few self aware moments there have been, but I don't like stupidity of the stories and poorly written characters with dialog to match, there's nothing saying that the show can't smarten up and still having some moments of self awareness and silliness with the absurdity of it all but it shouldn't be pushed to the forefront or forced with bad writing, which is again a big problem with the show with certain things coming off completely unnatural. Maybe they'll find a balance a between the serious and silly aspects and the writing will improve as well as smarten up some, at least I hope so. They should not strive for mediocrity.

One of the few scenes I liked in I Wanna Rock & Roll All Knight was where Mike was commenting on not actually ever being alone and Sarah mocking him in saying that no one has anything better to do than to spy on Michael Knight, while Zoe and Billy were watching stating how they don't have anything better to do, that's what I see as being self aware, I like that.. Mike at the very least so mostly be played straight like that while aware of the silly things around him and in some ways the only generally sane member of the team but it shouldn't be over done. Even with my general dislike of A Knight in Shining Armor, one of the things I liked was Mike's commenting on how stupid it was for "the Package" to use his DNA as a key to unlocking a code.


How so?


You have this band of low rent Ocean's 11 wannabes from an age range of their early 30s to late 40s and apparently no one in said gang have never seen each others faces of until now, partying to music that at least in my opinion is totally unfitting and getting their "groove" on to it, especially the multiple shots of the Scorpio character acting like a total goof behind the bar. It didn't look natural and it was very out of place. That doesn't even cover the awful dialog during the introduction of the "team".

I'm pretty sure complaints about the semi (and hell, somewhere my eye caught the mansion too) are fairly recent. And, again, the show is a continuation of the original story two decades later. That means they go with the base that twenty years ago there was a KITT and a Michael Knight and build from there on. It's not a continuation of the original series and they sure as hell don't have to include anything from the original show- as long as they are careful enough not to fall into direct contradictions.


I've never complained about the lack of Semi, nor have I complained about the mansion not being used nor did anyone in this topic complain about it so bringing that up is moot. Of course it's a continuation, what do you think the point is of Mike being the son of Michael Knight? Or his changing his name to also be Michael Knight? Or this new KITT being the Knight Industries Three Thousand or Charles Graiman's supposedly inventing the original KITT as well as apparently KARR? I don't care all that much if we ever see the original KITT as a 25 year old Trans-Am or Hasselhoff back but that doesn't mean they, the writers should ignore what came before it. They should be studying, learning from and improving upon what came before or just ignore it completely and not have any connection to the original series and officially call this a remake. This show is pretty much on the exact opposite end of the spectrum as Bionic Woman which shows at least to me that NBC still doesn't get it or at least didn't with the initial nine episodes. Hopefully they've found a happy medium now.


Here exactly is my problem with half the criticism in here. It doesn't come with valid complaints about the problems of the show as a show; it falls back into putting TOS on a pedestal and judge everything in comparison, not so much of the actual show, but people's love for it. Knight Rider, the chest-haired guy who worked with playmates on red swimsuits and the modified Trans Am died in 1986. What was kept alive was either the marketing opportunity that made things like KR2000 or the nostalgia factor that even maintain the possibility of every attempting a jab at it -be it with a show in the '90s, a show in 2008 or two videogames a few years ago. It wasn't any particular flavor that TOS carried, it wasn't a special scent that stuck with people. It was their childhood memories of a talking car. And that attitude isn't doing the show any favors either; people want to convince me they care about a good show, sit down and start presenting actual solutions. How the writing can be improved, how the directing can be improved, how the acting can be improved. Not in regards to the original show, not even in regards to what we want to see, but actual solutions one would give for any show on TV right now.


Ahh, the good old "if you don't like it then tell me how you would do better and if you can't then don't bother complaining" defense. We shouldn't have to write a small novel, detailing the problems with the show and how to fix them. Of course these issues have to do with THIS SHOW, the comparisons are only there because the original should still be the set standard that they should either meet or exceed and that's not something that should be hard to do. This is a sequel to the original series where they have gone on record as saying as such as well as a continuation. This is not a continuation in the sense of how The Next Generation was to the original Star Trek.

Referring back to the original series has nothing to do with putting it on some sort of pedestal. Are you saying no one's complaints are valid if we mention the original? Because then all we're all just comparing it to the original series? That we're not breaking down and going into detail as to why we don't like something? The original series has absol****inglutly nothing to do with it. There is a sheer difference between complaining about the lack of Hasselhoff, William Daniels and the Trans-Am, use of the semi, the mansion or a dozen other things that aren't really what make Knight Rider, Knight Rider. Saying that the writing of this new show is not up to the standards of the original series, standards that like I've said a number of times, aren't very hard to meet, yet they largely still haven't met them.

If this was Knight Rider and the original series never existed, this one was still presented in the exact same way as it has then the problems with the immature, sophomoric writing that's been way too reliant on T&A and sex to make up for their inane stories, the failed and forced romantic/sexual tension between Mike and Sarah, the flat, uninspired plots that barrow to flat out rip off popular movies while throwing in more cliches than should be allowed by law, the over reliance on CGI which on a TV budget and schedule is not feasible much of the time, especially when practical effects would still work better, the awful green screen that while better than the first couple episode still make it exceedingly obvious that they aren't outside actually driving, the quick cuts during the totally uninspired chase scenes that are used to try and make it seem more exciting then it actually is because they don't have the guts or budget to risk going over the speed limit or denting the GT500KR, that is if they even make it to the speed limit because so far they've looked very slow, the only spot that really showed any sort of speed was near the end of Knight of the Hunter and even then it didn't look all that fast when they showed the car.

Then there's the cast which has been bloated to the point that they couldn't fit in everyone and with the ones left, they've had to try and justify their pay checks by putting more focus on them than they should while leaving any real time for just KITT and Mike outside of a few scenes, but that's one thing that's been taken care of, unfortunately at the expense of the three authority figures, so now who is going to be in charge? Is that going to be Sarah now? Which then makes her pretty much fill every role on the team, the only thing missing is the ability to speak nine languages, I bet she can actually speak ten. Mike needs to be the only driver of KITT at least most of the time and if someone else is driving then they shouldn't be as good or a driver as him or it should be KITT in control, same goes for fighting, Sarah or Zoe shouldn't be damsels in distress but they shouldn't be able to kick anyone's ass either or get out of every situation on their own, Mike should be the tank of the team where he and KITT ultimately save the day. They have only four, well five characters now and they should be more clearly defined with as little crossing over as possible and if they do then there should be clear differences in talent between them so while they might be able to do some similar things they shouldn't all be on the same level in ability, Sarah also needs some actual, defined weaknesses which she doesn't seem to have right now where as Mike and Billy do, I'm not sure if Zoe has any either at this point.

I didn't mind the big brother aspect they've had going on due to the government involvement as well as the sudden popping up of characters on the HUD without warning, but with the direction change and the government getting the boot I hope that changes also where either Mike has to tell KITT to put them through or at least give Mike some warning, KITT needs to be more in control with that aspect. But Mike needs to be in more control with driving and action in a way voice commands fail, right now there's no real way Mike can even override KITT if he needs to unless he's going to argue and try and threaten/convince him to do something. Aside from it just being more visually exciting, actual buttons would serve this purpose and it has nothing to do with comparing this KITT to the original. Some of the control of the car's functions need to be solely put into the driver's hands because KITT does not have intuition or human judgment or instinct, he's too logical and is ruled by his programming. If he wasn't then there's no reason to have a driver other than to be a passenger, Mike is still a glorified passenger.

Now I'm going to do it after saying it isn't like this but oh well, look at the original Star Trek and then, roughly 20 years later at The Next Generation. Okay, actually that might not be a good example since the first season was terrible, but they fixed the problems and the show ended up lasting for seven seasons which is more than twice as long as the original and was arguably superior to the original series. The only difference is that we're getting the retooling before the first season ends, perhaps the improvements will have a similar impact, at least I hope so.

But anyway, I guess we shouldn't expect anything better since it's our nostalgia and emotions for the original series that clouds our judgment over this one. Our not liking certain things is completely unfounded unless we go into minute detail as to why exactly we don't like something. We should just bend over and accept it if we can't come up with something better.

My nostalgia for the original series is not clouding anything and it never has, I can go back and watch movies and shows that I enjoyed as a young child and see just how bad they were, a few examples would be the original He-Man/She-Ra cartoon/toy commercial, the Greatest American Hero, the 60s Batman, Punky Brewster (yeah I watched it, so what? Bite me) and so on, there are plenty of things that I use to love that I find nearly unwatchable now. I can freely admit the original series was anywhere from perfect but at least they put some effort into the stories (at least until the fourth season) but if you're fine with having your intelligence insulted (though to be fair, KR is now not the worst offender of this on NBC, that would go to Heroes) that then that's your problem, then again you went into this not expecting or wanting anything smart or well written in the first place so it's obvious why this isn't affecting you. The series isn't going to make it past a first season if it continues on with how it has in the first eight, nine if you count Knight Fever which is certain to be a train wreck, I'm sure you'll love it.

Oh and good work on basically belittling and dismissing every fan who has stuck with Knight Rider long after it ended by saying that it's the marketing that's kept it alive or living off nostalgia with putting KR on a pedestal and not completely seeing the show the same way you do as stupid show from the 80s you watched strictly in syndication, that's kitsch, campy and should be mocked and laughed at with your general acceptance of the new series's shortcomings, we clearly watched and liked Knight Rider for two different reasons. There wouldn't be any marketing if there wasn't a solid fan base out there. You don't see Airwolf making a come back anytime so do you?
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

User avatar
JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 741
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:12 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Yonkers, NY
Contact:

Re: So what is the reboot?

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:37 am

I am just really hoping for more references to the original and some stupid little spoofs like the Bonnie & Devon codename. Where is the talk about the original MK & KITT? How come Graiman never speaks about the original KITT and what happened exactly? Episode 13 we have to wait for? Wow, I really hope more is referenced.

Joe

User avatar
Tony P Knight Driver
Operative
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:59 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: East Coast

Re: So what is the reboot?

Post by Tony P Knight Driver » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:22 pm

I have been a fan of Knight Rider since it originally aired.

I watched Knight Rider 2000 which I really saw as a pilot or sorry attempt for a new series with the girl being the operative, Maddock Devon’s Role and the new shiny Red KIFT.

I watched Team Knight Rider.. Hey they tried.

I watched the Knight Rider Movie—It was very good.

The new Knight Rider series has not been a continuation of the original Knight Rider, nor has it even been a continuation of the Knight Rider Movie.

In the movie Mike, went to military school and dumped Sarah. With no memory loss.
In series he asked her to marry him while serving in the military and forgot her. The whole memory loss thing reeks of the original Bionic Woman and the Six Million Dollar Man story.. I love you but I don’t remember loving you so lets be friends..

KITT was decently portrayed in the Knight Rider movie.. In the series. I don’t know somethings missing . If you watch the original series episode “lost knight” you see KITT’s character. A bit of humor some vunerability.
The new KITT doesn’t seem to have that kind of character or charm or..I’m not sure what it is.

You know Super Pursuit mode was a bit of a transformation for KITT.. But he never turned into a truck, van or different body style.. that’s really far fetched. The need to stop pushing FORD products on us, and they should have stuck with the nano-tech stuff from the movie, color change or holographic overlays whatever it was, it worked. The transformation in the movie were very well done. In the series the transformations are TRANSFORMERS overkill.

NBC’s giving it one more shot so let’s hope the make it more appealing to the classic fans and interesting enough for the new fan

As for the references to Larry the Cable guys and mindless remakes;
I agree.. Knight Rider was a show you would sit down and watch with your family, mom,dad or even your kids. I wouldn't want my kids watching the new show.. would you?

The classic Knight Rider entertained everyone.The new Knight Rider ..ehhh not so much.
Tony P.
The Knight Driver
Keep Knight Rider Rolling
One Person Can Make a Difference.
SUPPORT KNIGHT RIDER!
http://www.gopetition.com/online/23816.html

User avatar
Stuntman Lee
Rookie
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:48 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: London/Essex

Re: So what is the reboot?

Post by Stuntman Lee » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:06 pm

MARKK wrote:Hi there,

This is my first post so please forgive any errors.

I live in England so haven't been able to watch any of the first eight new episodes but have seen the original pilot from February several times and loved it ! So I obviously can't pass any sort of judgement on how the series is going. I have though been getting worried as to the way it seems to be disliked or picked to pieces by a number of people but I will look forward to seeing it when I'm able. Is it really bad ?


I've seen the first 5 episodes now and I would say it is not as bad as some people are making out. Whilst it's not perfect (Turbo Boost is shocking much like the CGI changes when KITT goes into Attackmode), it still has great potential. :good:
Love child of The Hoff.

99 Trans am
Volunteer
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:22 pm

Re: So what is the reboot?

Post by 99 Trans am » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:01 pm

Kaine wrote:if they just wanted to produce a show with no legacy behind it they could have easily done that.
but with this show being called 'Knight Rider' and the production crew repeating the phrase "this is a continuation, not a reboot" like a mantra, the audience has expectations... and those weren't matched, yet.
in fact, they haven't done a lot from what they promised in various interviews!


This is the correct view..Like the game that just came out,Farcry 2..It has nothing in common with the original.Its more like they said,Hey..Grand theft auto is super popular,so lets make a grand theft auto game,throw a few things in there that remind you of Farcry and it will be a hit..Its pretty disappointing if you ask me..Same principle for Knight Rider..At least the original KR had some believability to it. They exchanged the futuristic dash for morphing the car,which is totally ridiculous..! Keep the car the way it is..Screw the morphing,get the designer of the car out of there..Get rid of the women and the constant flirting..Leave Sarah in the cave to do the things Bonnie used to do.Keep the guy in charge in his place..Keep Billy and dump Zoe! Enough with all the eye candy..Its like installing drivers for creatives sound blaster cards..Bloatware! I hate mustangs,but KITT does look cool in his original form,leave it alone for the love of god! More Mike and KITT,less everyone else..More turbo boost..Loose the transformation due to making KITT vulnerable..Its an easy out guys..They could make it back to the winners circle so easy,but liberal hollywood always has to push sex or politics down our throats..Ahh the good ol' days of the 80's! Knight Rider,Battlestar Galactica,Airwolf,Magnum Pi,The A-team ect..

99 Trans am
Volunteer
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:22 pm

Re: So what is the reboot?

Post by 99 Trans am » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:34 pm

I agree with Phoenixzero in just about every argument he made..But..Its nostalgia that has even brought this show to life..Or simply call it Action Ford or something,cause that's all it is at the present moment..If you want to make a worthy Knight Rider then quit screwing around and do it..Hell,I bet most of us on here could probably make people happy.To the studios,quit acting like 100 yrs have passed,its only 20,quit morphing KITT into active Ford commercials and make a damn show! In fact,Use my black 99 Ram Air Trans Am and it will already be 98% closer.. :mrgreen: I do like the Cobra tho..

User avatar
My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:59 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Here...always here.

Re: So what is the reboot?

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:45 pm

PHOENIXZERO
Punky Brewster (yeah I watched it, so what? Bite me)

This comment made me choke on my coffee, it was soo funny :D

Kaine
the production crew repeating the phrase "this is a continuation, not a reboot" like a mantra

Made me think of another mantra
"Head On-Apply Directly to the forehead."
That is a computer not a sofa.......Knight of the Drones

A firsthand viewer of Knight Rider '08!
And I LOVED it!

User avatar
NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed May 19, 2004 2:36 pm

Re: So what is the reboot?

Post by NeoRanger » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:38 pm


.....

That was a question. You answered it. Why exactly should I come back to it?

A continuation of what story? What true continuations of the original series has there been besides loose references or Mike mentioning his father? There has been next to nothing connecting the story of this show to the original series and I've been fine with that up until the KARR(E) thing because this show needs to find its own footing, its own place.


Like I said, they go with the base that there was Michael Knight and a KITT twenty years ago and they build up from there. We've seen only nine episodes and what did you guys expect? A few hundred nods and storylines that are a throwback to TOS, because it'd facilitate people's nostalgia?

If the show has to find its own place, it needs to do show with its own strengths and weaknesses.

That had nothing to do with the connection to the original series, just the fact that the show has been handled horribly for the most part and taken in a direction that was clearly wrong.

And why do you deem their views on TOS so important, if it's just an issue with the show itself? No, really, that's what I've been asking all along.

That's not giving them points, a show shouldn't strive to be stupid or purposefully written badly or try to appeal to the lowest common denominator

Why not? TV is business and entertainment. And it's diverse; that's the good thing about it. There's good TV, there's fun TV, there's stupid TV. And there's a boatload of shows to pick from. You stick with KR, because you're a fan of the franchise, but that hardly makes it an obligation for them to make the show good drama.

You have this band of low rent Ocean's 11 wannabes from an age range of their early 30s to late 40s and apparently no one in said gang have never seen each others faces of until now, partying to music that at least in my opinion is totally unfitting and getting their "groove" on to it, especially the multiple shots of the Scorpio character acting like a total goof behind the bar. It didn't look natural and it was very out of place.

It was possibly unnecessary, but it was not out of place. You are familiar neither with the characters that were involved, sans Mike, nor with the concept behind the team, even if it was half-ripped from "Ocean's 11". The show never goes into lengths of covering any of that, therefore none of us is in a position to know how fitting or unfitting the scene was. It just was what it was. Take it for that.

I've never complained about the lack of Semi, nor have I complained about the mansion not being used nor did anyone in this topic complain about it so bringing that up is moot.

It's hardly moot. You seem to thrive on personal arguments, but unlike you, I generalize. My issue doesn't stand with you, personally, it stands with the philosophy that this show MUST be better, because we were in love with the original when we were five.

Of course it's a continuation, what do you think the point is of Mike being the son of Michael Knight? Or his changing his name to also be Michael Knight? Or this new KITT being the Knight Industries Three Thousand or Charles Graiman's supposedly inventing the original KITT as well as apparently KARR?

Third time, this is? It builds up on that, without having to go into specifics about how the entire thing started all those years ago; it assumes you know. It's not a continuation of the show. It doesn't employ the same characters. It doesn't employ the same cast. The same ideas. The same anything. There are two things it needs to have based on that story; a talking car, which it has and a sole focus on the driver and the car, which it has yet to develop.

I don't care all that much if we ever see the original KITT as a 25 year old Trans-Am or Hasselhoff back but that doesn't mean they, the writers should ignore what came before it. They should be studying, learning from and improving upon what came before

Considering that the original Knight Rider was never anywhere near setting a golden standard of television, they don't need to improve on the original. They need to make it their own show. Hell, a good deal of the bad that's been going on is because it's not Thompson's show completely. It started off differently with the pilot, it continued with bastardizing the premise of the pilot and hopefully, it will finally become it's own show with the 12th episode.

or just ignore it completely and not have any connection to the original series and officially call this a remake.

I remembered I bitched about that to no end back in February. I thought it was ridiculous to pick up where a show left off twenty-something years ago; I still think so. But people seemed to love the idea, back then, drooling over customized black cars in Graiman's garage and Hasselhoff's brief cameo.

Now that we have a show with baggage, let's see how we'll deal without throwing even more on its lap.

Ahh, the good old "if you don't like it then tell me how you would do better and if you can't then don't bother complaining" defense.

What? No, no, no, that's not what I meant. I meant, pitch in actual solutions, not solutions that satisfy nostalgic and/or fanboy needs. I don't particularly care if you'll start proposing solutions; you're not a writer, I don't expect you -or anyone- to do so. But on the flipside, don't pitch in solutions that merely reference (or are referenced to) the original show, as if that's going to improve the show.

Referring back to the original series has nothing to do with putting it on some sort of pedestal. Are you saying no one's complaints are valid if we mention the original?

When they are presented as sole solutions that must and not could happen, then I'd say yes, the complaints are pretty much invalidated.

Saying that the writing of this new show is not up to the standards of the original series, standards that like I've said a number of times, aren't very hard to meet, yet they largely still haven't met them.

Think about it, for a second. Do you think this is all that different from asking about Hasselhoff and KI2T in the new show? A show, any show, is responsible for its own standards. TKR sucked, because it sucked. (if) The new show sucks, it sucks. Not because they're not up-to-par with TOS, but because they're just bad.

If this was Knight Rider and the original series never existed, this one was still presented in the exact same way as it has then the problems with the immature, sophomoric writing that's been way too reliant on T&A and sex to make up for their inane stories, the failed and forced romantic/sexual tension between Mike and Sarah, the flat, uninspired plots that barrow to flat out rip off popular movies while throwing in more cliches than should be allowed by law

These are valid complaints. They're also complaints that shouldn't have anything to do with how the production "views the original show".

the over reliance on CGI which on a TV budget and schedule is not feasible much of the time, especially when practical effects would still work better, the awful green screen that while better than the first couple episode still make it exceedingly obvious that they aren't outside actually driving, the quick cuts during the totally uninspired chase scenes that are used to try and make it seem more exciting then it actually is because they don't have the guts or budget to risk going over the speed limit or denting the GT500KR, that is if they even make it to the speed limit because so far they've looked very slow, the only spot that really showed any sort of speed was near the end of Knight of the Hunter and even then it didn't look all that fast when they showed the car.

Riiiiight. You might want to call Thompson and say you can provide the financial basis for ditching CGI, wrecking stunt cars, closing down streets, hiring stunt drivers for traffic and so on and so forth.

Or we can all hope that with the removal of three salaries, they can finally redistribute their budget.

Then there's the cast which has been bloated to the point that they couldn't fit in everyone and with the ones left, they've had to try and justify their pay checks by putting more focus on them than they should while leaving any real time for just KITT and Mike outside of a few scenes, but that's one thing that's been taken care of, unfortunately at the expense of the three authority figures, so now who is going to be in charge? Is that going to be Sarah now? Which then makes her pretty much fill every role on the team, the only thing missing is the ability to speak nine languages, I bet she can actually speak ten.

How can I not complain about your complaints involving the original Knight Rider, when you bring this up? We have absolutely NO idea how the series is going to progress. ALL we know is that three cast members are leaving and the focus shifts to regular folk instead of terrorists. We don't know how the structure of the team is going to be, if they'll need ANYONE in charge or WHAT they're going to do. They stuffed the cast at first, which they shouldn't have, for whatever reason (I assume there had to be some legal clause carrying from the pilot, regarding some of the original characters back in February), now they're lightening it up. And while we're only one episode away -not counting the transitional ones- we are well into burying the show, because Davidson won't be "Devon 2008".

right now there's no real way Mike can even override KITT if he needs to unless he's going to argue and try and threaten/convince him to do something.

I'm pretty sure the entire windshield's all a touchscreen console. I'm not in favor of adding actual buttons on the dashboard; it looks horrific in the current age. I *am* in favor of having Mike use that touchscreen console to issue commands though.

The series isn't going to make it past a first season if it continues on with how it has in the first eight

Possibly, but quality won't really be a reason. Smallville has been on-air for 8 seasons and I've seen gerbils that committed mass suicides in front of a camera, after sitting through a single episode of it.

nine if you count Knight Fever which is certain to be a train wreck, I'm sure you'll love it.

Yeah, I'm sure I will.

Oh and good work on basically belittling and dismissing every fan who has stuck with Knight Rider long after it ended by saying that it's the marketing that's kept it alive or living off nostalgia with putting KR on a pedestal and not completely seeing the show the same way you do as stupid show from the 80s you watched strictly in syndication, that's kitsch, campy and should be mocked and laughed at with your general acceptance of the new series's shortcomings, we clearly watched and liked Knight Rider for two different reasons. There wouldn't be any marketing if there wasn't a solid fan base out there.


My point was that it's both unfair and irrational to judge the new show based on our emotions for the original. It's Knight Rider and should work on a thing or two, but at the same time, it's a whole different show two decades later. It needs to cut down on the sex and try to work on its consistency, absolutely; but semi trucks, mansions, real-life turbo boosts and old guys for mentors aren't essential for the show's quality.


I agree.. Knight Rider was a show you would sit down and watch with your family, mom,dad or even your kids. I wouldn't want my kids watching the new show.. would you?

I would. Boobs never killed anyone.

I distinctly recall a fair deal of '80s Tn'A in the original show. I didn't notice it back then, of course, because all I cared about was the talking car. I doubt 8-year-olds of today are sitting in the corner, waiting for the final straw that will turn them into sexual predators in grade school.

User avatar
Tony P Knight Driver
Operative
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:59 pm
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: East Coast

Re: So what is the reboot?

Post by Tony P Knight Driver » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:23 pm

Here is my thought, for what its worth.
It is a good show for some an not others. I can deal with that cause you can't please everyone.

Honestly the only characters I dont like are Alex Torres and Agent Rivi.

The sexyness I could get used to, I would not want kids to watch but hey, these are new times.

Lets face it Deanna Russo is "the HOT CHICK" and she plays one so well.
Justin Burening as MK Jr. He is tryting and I like where he is going.

What I dont like is the long FORD commercial and the fact that there are at least 5 incarnations of KITT.
If KITT's a Trans Am then KITT is a Trans Am.. If he's a Mustang--then he's a Mustang.

In my opinion until they reboot the series this should be the new logo.

TFR.gif
TFR.gif (118.85 KiB) Viewed 12087 times
Tony P.
The Knight Driver
Keep Knight Rider Rolling
One Person Can Make a Difference.
SUPPORT KNIGHT RIDER!
http://www.gopetition.com/online/23816.html

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:25 pm

Re: So what is the reboot?

Post by Kram061-1 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:15 am

PhoenixZero: I agree with pretty much EVERYTHING you said, however, I seriously doubt that this 'reboot' or 'retool' will stop any of the nonsensible garbage that we've seen thus far. It will only occur with less characters involved. This show is like watching some Dawson's Creek crap with a talking Mustang that don't do stunts. But it is more than just the lack of stunts. I could take the love/flirting scenes if they meant anything at all towards the storyline, but the NEVER do. They just waste 15 minutes of programming, EVERY time. It is pointless. Or like, i think you, said, what the hell was that stupid party in the Zodiac episode all about? POINTLESS. They could have put in the place of this garbage a scene where KITT explains some of MK's Father's abandoning him, for one thing.

And what little action there has been has been pointless too. The first ten minutes of the series had KITT catch fire. Fine, but why???? One reason, and ONE reason only: MK & Sarah take there clothes off! That is the one and only reason that scene occurred, or otherwise wouldn't they have explained more about that missile and KITT catching fire? The first scene aired was pointless. The Turbo Boost scenes were just thrown in there to keep us happy, quiet, so they didn't have to listen to us. The only 2 Turbo Boost scenes, that's right ONLY TWO (**SEE BELOW), were pointless, where as there was about five or six more times it WOULD have been appropriate. If the story lines weren't so freakin' poitnless, I may not be so critical of the car jumps and stunts, or near complete lack thereof.
**TURBO BOOST continue here: Is it me, am I the only person who heard GST say during the Comic-Con interview that Turbo Boost would 'make the car jump' and it would jump so much we would 'get tired' of seeing it jump?? Does anyone else remember this? Have I been watching the wrong show?

And why the HELL is EVERYONE driving KITT???????????????? Sarah, Billy, Sarah, and Sarah driving KITT is BAD enough, but what the hell, ever Valet in the neighborhood? ABSOLUTELY COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE.

This show is like one of those movies where it hasn't been that great but you keep expecting the awesome unexpected scene where the movie gets good suddenly, but it never happens. I think they'd get better ratings if they re-aired the original show weekly.

Speaking of TOS, if Hasselhoff was going to have any involvement in this show whatsoever, wouldn't it be safe to say we would have hear something about this by now, I mean they have to be in filming for like their 17th episode by now? So IF he ends up getting involved (which I TRULY doubt) it might be a microscopic part at the end of the season(series). If I were him, I would go canceling plans for next year to make Season 2.

( Although a good plot line for the rest of this season is after the kill off Graiman [Yes kill: At least that way Bruce Davidson can leave the show with some dignity] they could be on a quest to find the REAL MK b/c he is the only man that can help them or something)

Well, enough about this. All I can say here is that this retool better knock our socks off or they're wasting everyone's time, including their own.

User avatar
madmanmalk
Recruit
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:52 pm

Re: So what is the reboot?

Post by madmanmalk » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:26 pm

TOO MUCH ROFLLMAOLOLHAHA
Tony P Knight Driver wrote:In my opinion until they reboot the series this should be the new logo.
TFR.gif


first of all what have started in this thread between phoniex zero and neoranger, i think there like garthe and michael (excuse the pun :) )

Anyway i just wanted to know what was expected in the new "reboot", but it seem only Tony P Knight Driver has told me somewhat of information(good job :good: ).

I just hope the completly change the CGI because i looks unbelievable wrong. No variables have been put in and when the CGI goes on it obvious because everything goes badly out of foucus

ghidorah15
Rookie
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:02 pm

Re: So what is the reboot?

Post by ghidorah15 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:30 pm

madmanmalk wrote:I just hope the completly change the CGI because i looks unbelievable wrong. No variables have been put in and when the CGI goes on it obvious because everything goes badly out of foucus


You seem to have a pretty sound technical grasp of the situation. Have you studied stuff like this?

User avatar
madmanmalk
Recruit
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:52 pm

Re: So what is the reboot?

Post by madmanmalk » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:59 pm

ghidorah15 wrote:
madmanmalk wrote:I just hope the completly change the CGI because i looks unbelievable wrong. No variables have been put in and when the CGI goes on it obvious because everything goes badly out of foucus


You seem to have a pretty sound technical grasp of the situation. Have you studied stuff like this?


My cousin knows a little but i can tell from comparing it, like for example the obvious comaprison is heroes since it is both an hour long and a they are both supposed to be hit shows.

If you look again at the CGI you can clearly see that bits of it aren't that clear so for example again in the pilot I found the nano CGI brilliant as you can see that they had spent ages making practically each pixel move independently.

That didn't look real because, we weren't made to believe it was real, they took a singular side shot. They should have shown it in 3 angles as it would have build suspense and made the viewer actually think oh WOW he gonna go real fast now. An extra bit could have been that they could have added a some airflow over the car. :D That would have looked awesome

Admittedly Heroes doesn't use as much CGI per week than knight rider so it would be a lot easier for them however knight rider should be able to keep up with demands.

I personally think they dont have enough time to create a "perfect shot" or they aren't trying. I'm sounding a little harsh however overall for there current demands they have done well to keep up but it just doesn't fit with the show too well. :good:

I still love the show as a whole on acting, personalities and the whole new concept is brilliant they just need to clea up the car and CGI a little

User avatar
Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant
Posts: 821
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:01 am
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0
Location: Cyber Space
Contact:

Re: So what is the reboot?

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:18 am

Has a TV show ever re-booted and survived?

Or is a re-boot the lowering of the life-rafts on the sinking ship?
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com

Locked