KR08 vs Viper

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

_K3000_
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: KR08 vs Viper

Post by _K3000_ » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:38 pm

I liked Viper but it kinda got sooo boring after a while no offense to any fans of the show! :good:.
Point is KR08 does pawn over Viper although there are similaraties.
"We Can Make A Difference" Help Support The Show

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:29 pm

KnightRiderKR wrote:Bottom line who cares, Viper is dead Knight Rider isn't.
The argument to that statement is that Viper actually had a longer run, last half a season more than our beloved KR TOS

Although, in terms of reinventions/incarnations and spin offs KR has been a more successful franchise...

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:22 pm

KnightRiderKR wrote:Viper is dead Knight Rider isn't.
Vipers just started a new series, except the car's now a mustang and talks.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:21 pm

pheonix_knight wrote:
The argument to that statement is that Viper actually had a longer run, last half a season more than our beloved KR TOS

Although, in terms of reinventions/incarnations and spin offs KR has been a more successful franchise...
You mean a half a season less. :P 12 episodes less because of it.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:28 pm

Rockatteer wrote:
Knight Rider 2008 is not Viper.

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:10 am

KnightRiderKR wrote:
Rockatteer wrote:
Knight Rider 2008 is not Viper.
Viper's headquarters didn't have the facilities that the SSC have, in Viper they used an abandoned Subway station. There are a few similarities but that's all. So far the only similarities are the transformation and the team. In the first season of Viper the car didn't have any offensive weapons, in season two it had machine guns missiles a holographic generator and an 4x4 mode on the wheels only no seperate truck. The Defender also could not do 300mph or repair itself. KITT is way more advanced than the Defender ever could hope to be.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:37 am

wow you came back 2 hours later to carry on the rant. Impressive.

I'll respond to your comments about viper couldn't repair itself and their headquarters not being as advanced as KR 08 by saying neither could the original Kitt, and neither was the original FLAG headquarters.

have you read the first post of this thread?

Stealthwalker
Operative

Post by Stealthwalker » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:37 pm

ViperFan wrote:
PunkMaister wrote:Viper as a car had awesome features but it did not have an AI like KITT does but other than that without an AI both would be more or less equally matched.
It didn't have an AI, no. But...face-to-face, KI2T vs. The Viper Defender; The Defender would come out on top any day.

KI3T vs. The Defender, hmm...The Defender "could" win, and might...but I think KI3T would have the upper hand. It would be hard for either one of them to destroy the other though. Very hard.

8)

It would definitely make one hell of crossover, if it could happen, if it were up to me the episode would be a huge two parter called "Knight of the Viper".
Stealthwalker aka "Tha Lone Crusader"

"We Meet Again". As quoted by Garthe Knight in "Goliath & Goliath Returns"

Stealthwalker
Operative

Post by Stealthwalker » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:43 pm

Rockatteer wrote:Did anyone else notice that this new knight Rider has more in common with the Viper TV show than the old Knight Rider?

Here's a quick list of some of the things both the new KR and the Viper show have in common...

Both cars have to distinctively different "modes" and need to change into the "attack" or "defender" mode in order to use any of the "cool" options.

Both vehicles morph

Both shows have a "secret" high tech command center.

Both shows command centers are in abandoned buildings (KR - the hanger. Viper - old power station)

Both shows have a team of people they work with and are mostly located in the command center.

Both shows work with the FBI as a "secret project" (KR isn't as secret as Viper, but the FBI still don't want anyone knowing about the connection)

Both shows have a male driver (main character) with a female co-character who get involved in the assignments.

Both shows Driver carries a gun

If one of the original ideas about the new Kitt having some kind of weapon system plays out then that too will be like the Viper.

I watched a couple of viper episodes tonight, and the layout of the show is the same as Viper, the only real difference is that KR has an AI car, Viper is just a high-tech crime fighting car.

Both characters are named "Mike" except on "Viper", Mike Payton became Joe Astor & on "KR'08" Mike Traceur has become Micheal Knight, II & both men have suffered from some sort of memory loss & have had their past lives erased.

Stealthwalker
Operative

Post by Stealthwalker » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:31 pm

Stealthwalker wrote:
ViperFan wrote:
PunkMaister wrote:Viper as a car had awesome features but it did not have an AI like KITT does but other than that without an AI both would be more or less equally matched.
It didn't have an AI, no. But...face-to-face, KI2T vs. The Viper Defender; The Defender would come out on top any day.

KI3T vs. The Defender, hmm...The Defender "could" win, and might...but I think KI3T would have the upper hand. It would be hard for either one of them to destroy the other though. Very hard.

8)

It would definitely make one hell of crossover, if it could happen, if it were up to me the episode would be a huge two parter called "Knight of the Viper".

Or another title "The Defender Of The Knight" :good:

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:39 pm

Rockatteer wrote:wow you came back 2 hours later to carry on the rant. Impressive.

I'll respond to your comments about viper couldn't repair itself and their headquarters not being as advanced as KR 08 by saying neither could the original Kitt, and neither was the original FLAG headquarters.

have you read the first post of this thread?
I don't care. You misinterpreted a post for a rant though. Hopefully the future KR episodes will convince you few that the new show has nothing to do with Viper. If not, who gives a rat's ass.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:10 pm

KnightRiderKR wrote:Hopefully the future KR episodes will convince you few that the new show has nothing to do with Viper. If not, who gives a rat's ass.
Wow. Such politeness to fellow members who are only trying to create conversation and discussion from all angles of viewership.

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:03 pm

Rockatteer wrote:
KnightRiderKR wrote:Hopefully the future KR episodes will convince you few that the new show has nothing to do with Viper. If not, who gives a rat's ass.
Wow. Such politeness to fellow members who are only trying to create conversation and discussion from all angles of viewership.
:lol: :mrgreen:

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:53 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:
pheonix_knight wrote:

You mean a half a season less. :P 12 episodes less because of it.
Just think of this...what if...Hasselhoff would have had the pull in the day to get KR syndicated with fresh episodes...then KR probably would have gone on for a few more seasons...and then Babewatch would have never happened...

nah... :P

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:52 am

Actually Viper season 1 only lasted 11 episodes.

HisNameisGarth
Operative

Post by HisNameisGarth » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:13 pm

11 episodes was a full order back in 1994 for a mid-season show.
Now its typically 13.

Most shows run 22 to 24 episodes for a full season.
There ain't no E in Garth, damn it.

nbcviper
Rookie

Post by nbcviper » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:54 am

I find this new series very similar to Viper. It has some similarities to other things but, mostly Viper. I actually call the show Knight Viperider because thats basically what it is. I hope Viper ends on DVD though. It been a while and there hasn't been anything new about Viper so we just have to hope for the best I guess? This new knight rider series is falling apart though, and I actually sort-of like it. Its the only thing we have for a super car show thats on TV. Sadly the actors are getting tired of it and some people are calling it "The fall from the writers strike". I say they can kiss my middle finger, its a decent show. Can't wait till tonight for KARRs appearance though!!!
the day after tomorrow, NBCVIPER

K.A.C.I.
Operative

Post by K.A.C.I. » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:47 pm

I LOVED Viper as a kid, and the fact that KR08 combines elements of both my favorite childhood TV shows makes me extremely happy.
That said, I think that KI3T narrowly beats out the Viper Defender in all but one category IMO: Coolness of the car, because the Dodge Viper is still more badass than any Ford Mustang (Though a Shelby Mustang has a cooler logo)
Knight Autonomous Cyber-Automotive Interceptor

BlackKitt
Rookie

Post by BlackKitt » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:07 pm

You have to admit that the GT500KR is more practical than an RT/10 Viper. Now the Viper is chrysler's orphaned child since it's not such a hot car anymore and the brand Viper is up for sale possibly. They ruined the car by making it too powerful and too expensive.

K.A.C.I.
Operative

Post by K.A.C.I. » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:11 pm

True - the Viper is currently the single most expenisve vehicle to maintain and insure on the American market.
But it's still a badass ride.
Knight Autonomous Cyber-Automotive Interceptor

BlackKitt
Rookie

Post by BlackKitt » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:15 pm

K.A.C.I. wrote:True - the Viper is currently the single most expenisve vehicle to maintain and insure on the American market.
But it's still a badass ride.
And it's also 600+ horsepower too. At least Ford offers less powerfull versions of the Mustang. I still like the 1996 GTS Viper, it's better looking than the current car. If I had to pick either the GT500KR or Viper I would easily pick the KR.

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

Post by krfan1 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:57 pm

In my life, I've tended to like any show <gasp> that uses a car, motorcycle, helicopter, or boat to fight crime. I just like action crime shows like KR, Street Hawk, Viper, etc.

I really wish Viper would be released on DVD. I never was able to see all of the eps from S1, but have most of S2-4 on tape.

I've never kept tabs on who copied who. Sure, bench racing the vehicles & their features can be fun, but there are only so many elements for a show to have. You could pick apart any show if one was nitpicky enough, whether it be features of a device/vehicle, character personalities, or plot lines.

krfan1

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:24 am

Viper is a notch below TOS and definitely above KR08. While I didn't like the NBC version of Viper much, it was a lot better in syndication. Probably b/c they spent more time just letting the Viper do its thing than on exposition and conspiracies. KR08 is best compared to TKR.

Lexicon
Operative

Post by Lexicon » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:07 am

I want all of Viper on DVD. I don't care if the first season or fourth season sucked or not.

WIBoomer1
FLAG Recruit

Post by WIBoomer1 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:59 am

The other main difference is that Viper was owned by Paramount, while KR is owned by Universal.

Mr. Marcus, I respectfully submit that KR 08 will be remembered as a show that had little to do with TOS' legacy. Only if there is a 2nd Season, and they continue to rebuild FLAG, with or without The Hoff, then it might pull ahead.

Viper is more forgotten, simply because it never took off the way that KR TOS did. And the lack of the show's release on DVD confirms that. But I enjoyed Viper, and have seen that KR 08 is WAYYYYYYYYYYY closer to Viper than TOS.

If KR 08 would have been a retcon of Viper, it would have failed like that series, because it would be too much of a rehash (there's not much difference between the 2 to differentiate it). Try and dig up a few episodes of Viper, and watch them with KR 08 eps inbetween, and you'll see the closeness of the 2. There was less humor and T&A on Viper, because it was a darker show. I'm not saying per say that either show was a family show, but Viper is firmly a 90's show, whereas KR 08 is rooted in our more adulterated culture.