Locations ?

This forum contains discussions about the locations used for the 1982 series.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro, Joe Huth

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Locations ?

Post by Sue » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:39 pm

Joe Huth wrote:Boy, there's a NUMBER of buildings on that street that look like they could be Comtron! Time to get out the screengrabs and compare....

Thanks Sue!
Joe
Based on the open space around it, it felt like it could be the Sonic Electronics building, but I had no luck finding the distinctive pillar or slanted windows.

Don't thank me, thank Steve! :oops: He is an amazing resource of KR information.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

stevefawcett
Operative

Post by stevefawcett » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:08 pm

yes hes amazing thanks like i say to all i love it:)

one_man
Operative

Post by one_man » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:57 am

Season 2, Goliath

The scene at Caesars has been posted in page 14:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11725&start=325#p156122" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are more photos of my trip to Las Vegas last Dec. Things have changed a lot since 1983.
I've tried my best to shoot at the same perspective.

The statues (left: Venus; Right: Hebe) remain the same today!
-- I am one man who does not exist.

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:29 am

What do you guys say to creating a map for all of this stuff? We're nearing 30 pages of locations here. I've worked with Google Maps making custom maps before, and it's super easy. Anybody else use it? I think it would be really cool to create a map that we could all collaborate on and see all of the locations in one place.

Thoughts?

tedpro
Volunteer

Post by tedpro » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:58 pm

A Custom Google Map for Knight Rider Locations...sounds great to me too.

Sort locations by series, then by episode and time in episode.

Example:
Knight Rider 1982-1986
-Beginning Theme Locations: El Mirage Lake (dry or wet)
-Epilogue Location: "One man can make a difference Michael. Michael Knight, a lone crusader in a dangerous world, the world of the Knight Rider."

-Season 1: Episode 1: Knight of the Phoenix (Pilot): Vegas montage Greystone Mansion, House of the Rising Sun, Comtron, Airport

-Season 2: Episode 1: Goliath: Certainteed Gypsum, Caesar's Palace, Red Rock Canyon, Valley of Fire
See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11725&p=168455#p168455

-Season 3:

-Season 4:

Knight Rider 2000
-Locations: San Antonio, TX, etc...

Team Knight Rider
-Season 1 Episodes

Knight Rider 2008
-Season 1 Episodes

You get the idea.

I think you can have multiple tours on a map either by episode, city or a combination.

Can't wait to see it.

=======
Ted Pro

David
Rookie

Post by David » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:54 pm

Sue wrote:
Joe Huth wrote:Boy, there's a NUMBER of buildings on that street that look like they could be Comtron! Time to get out the screengrabs and compare....

Thanks Sue!
Joe
Based on the open space around it, it felt like it could be the Sonic Electronics building, but I had no luck finding the distinctive pillar or slanted windows.

Don't thank me, thank Steve! :oops: He is an amazing resource of KR information.
Check out the Sunkist Employees FCU building on Riverside, wasn't that used for the daytime shots of Comtron?

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:18 pm

Nope David, that's not the "main" Comtron building...I would like to figure out what shots were filmed at Sunkist, though.

Joe
Knight Rider Historian - visit my website: http://www.KnightRiderHistorians.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Co-author of Knight Rider Legacy

AusKnight2K
Operative

Post by AusKnight2K » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:03 am

Hi everyone,

I have two locations which I'm not sure if they've been found as yet ... both are from Knight of the Phoenix ...

The first one is where KITT does the tyre frying donuts 8) :

And the second (which I think is quite significant considering it's the first time and place where KITT talks to Michael).

There appears to be a freeway in the background as there is a constant line of traffic passing in both directions:

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:12 pm

That first one is in Santa Clarita and I think posted earlier in this thread - maybe Lyons Ave? Can't recall without searching again.

The second one is, what, the Old Road up in Canyon Country? I'm only guessing because I don't feel like looking through the whole thread.

AusKnight2K
Operative

Post by AusKnight2K » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:47 am

The spin you're referring to is the first single spin that car thief Jackson (played by Michael D. Roberts) does as he's in control of KITT at the intersection of Wiley Canyon Road and Tournament Road certainly looks like where that happened :

but I'm referring to the second spin, when KITT has taken over the driving and KITT fries the tyres doing several donuts ... there is a large shopping centre / mall in the background, so it's somewhere else :

I tried to read the signs on the buildings in the background :

- (Conrad?) Ice Cream (on the corner)
- some sort of clothing store
- (Homber, Holbes ?) market

Do the logos / fonts / colours of those shops look familiar to anyone ?

I couldn't find your reference to Old Road in Canyon County ... is that the exact name of the road ?

I will keep looking on my end too ...

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:47 pm

Yeah I think it's literally called "The Old Road"...

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:05 pm

I don't have time to look into it, but if it helps at all, the Old Road can be found parallel to interstate 5. I'm quite sure there were things that were filmed there if not the one you are looking for.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:13 pm

Ok. I've decided to go with Bing Maps and not Google. Personally, Bing is on the upswing if you ask me due to the edge it has over Google thanks to its Silverlight experience. The Birds Eye and Streetside views are hands down better than Google. I don't know yet if Streetside is less prevalent than Google's Street view.

I haven't put a whole lot of time into this yet, but I've entered a few locations. Still not perfect, I figured those of us who are interested in doing this can. Just PM and I'll give you the login creds to add and edit stuff.

Here's what we have so far: http://www.bing.com/maps/explore/#/oxy1r8hdbyqnf0lf

EDIT - I don't have a ton of experience creating maps with Bing, so let me know if you run into any issues with that link above.

AusKnight2K
Operative

Post by AusKnight2K » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:40 am

I'm wondering, that if The Old Road and Interstate 5 run parallel to each other, then that scene couldn't have been filmed there, as the traffic in the background is nowhere near the road that Michael and KITT are on ? :?

AusKnight2K
Operative

Post by AusKnight2K » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:57 am

OK, peoples, I think I found the location where that awesome burnout that KITT did ... :dance:

The shopping centre in the background is Granary Square on the corner of McBean Parkway and Arroyo Park Drive in Santa Clarita.

It looks like they've built a smaller building right in front on the corner obstructing the same view at street level, but the roof line of the front of the large buildings are the same ...

I think the other location where KITT first spoke to Michael is going to be a bit tricky compared to this one ... :shock:

Rookie

Post by 1982 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:42 pm

Sue wrote: OK, here's what I found out. The main Comtron building was in Santa Clarita off Ave Crocker
The shot of the Comtron Building (I will call it Comtron Building #2) where the girls are supposedly walking across to the House of the Rising Sun was taken on Ave Crocker.
Joe Huth wrote: I just did a complete scan of Riverside Drive and couldn't find it. So, that means either:

A) The building was there, but is now gone
B) Steve was not remembering the location correctly
C) The building is still there, but renovations have disguised it.
D) I am getting old and just plain missed it.

My money is on (unfortunately) option A (or D, which is also unfortunate)

Joe
The shots of Comtron Building #1 were not on Riverside Dr.
COMTRON ENTRANCE.jpg
COMTRON ENTRANCE.jpg (108.29 KiB) Viewed 39304 times
The building itself is off of Stanford Ave (set of three buildings NW of Rye Canyon Rd on the north side - upper right) across the lot from the entrance. What you see in the pilot is the rear of the center building at that location. The entrance (picture above) is on the lower left on Ave Crocker
Attachments
COMTRON SITE.jpg
COMTRON SITE.jpg (235.73 KiB) Viewed 39304 times

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:35 pm

1982 wrote:
Sue wrote: OK, here's what I found out. The main Comtron building was in Santa Clarita off Ave Crocker
The shot of the Comtron Building (I will call it Comtron Building #2) where the girls are supposedly walking across to the House of the Rising Sun was taken on Ave Crocker.
Joe Huth wrote: I just did a complete scan of Riverside Drive and couldn't find it. So, that means either:

A) The building was there, but is now gone
B) Steve was not remembering the location correctly
C) The building is still there, but renovations have disguised it.
D) I am getting old and just plain missed it.

My money is on (unfortunately) option A (or D, which is also unfortunate)

Joe
The shots of Comtron Building #1 were not on Riverside Dr.
COMTRON ENTRANCE.jpg
The building itself is off of Stanford Ave (set of three buildings NW of Rye Canyon Rd on the north side - upper right) across the lot from the entrance. What you see in the pilot is the rear of the center building at that location. The entrance (picture above) is on the lower left on Ave Crocker
That first shot I recognize anywhere, the top of the buildings and the mountains in the background - good job (and about time I might add!). Didn't you say you knew where the Rising Sun was?

Well, this pretty much confirms another location in Santa Clarita for KOTP. Based on all of this, it WOULD make sense that the Rising Sun was in Santa Clarita somewhere. All of the locals I've talked to via various forums say they have NEVER seen a place like the Rising Sun though - and that's a pretty distinctive place for them not to recall it.

kitt1
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt1 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:44 pm

I would love to see some ground level photos shot from the same angles as screencaps from the pilot for comparison.

Mark Puette
SOUTHERN KNIGHTS

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:04 am

For us slower people (me)...can you point an arrow to the Comtron building? I'm just not seeing it...

Joe
Knight Rider Historian - visit my website: http://www.KnightRiderHistorians.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Co-author of Knight Rider Legacy

David
Rookie

Post by David » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:38 pm

Joe Huth wrote:For us slower people (me)...can you point an arrow to the Comtron building? I'm just not seeing it...

Joe
As far as I understand it, there is no Comtron "building" as such in the shot 1982 is referencing - in the Pilot universe, Comtron was supposed to be located across the street from The House of The Rising Sun. We see Lonnie and her minions making this short trip as Michael and KITT pull into THOTRS's parking lot:

Am I right? Hard to tell from those two shots if it's a perfect match...

David
Rookie

Post by David » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:58 pm

Actually, ignore the above (i'd delete it if it were allowed!) - the second pic there is supposed to be the entrance to the actual location used for the Comtron building. Can't say I've been able to find anything that looks familiar on Google Earth though!

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:24 pm

David wrote:
Joe Huth wrote:For us slower people (me)...can you point an arrow to the Comtron building? I'm just not seeing it...

Joe
As far as I understand it, there is no Comtron "building" as such in the shot 1982 is referencing - in the Pilot universe, Comtron was supposed to be located across the street from The House of The Rising Sun. We see Lonnie and her minions making this short trip as Michael and KITT pull into THOTRS's parking lot:

Am I right? Hard to tell from those two shots if it's a perfect match...
Yeah those are the two shots I think is a match. There isn't much to go on but it feels right to me. Compare the curb on the lefthand side of each shot. I know it isn't much, but they look very similar.

That being said - logistically, it makes sense that the Rising Sun would be in Santa Clarita as these ladies are in both shots back to back. Just makes more sense to have the two shots, even if filmed across town, BE in the same town.

BTW - that chick in the pink is pretty hot IMHO.

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by simon_a6 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:04 pm

Hello everyone.
I have just joined this forum, having read all 27 pages of this particular thread.
I am an absolute original Knight Rider series nut. Was lucky enough to meet David back when he was doing Baywatch next to the original lifeguard tower in Malibu.

Anyway, I've been so addicted to this thread. Joe, you have found some amazing places and matched them up a treat. I loved the one of the house in San Fran from The Drones; Margo's house. Amazing find and such hard work to get it.

Sue - luv your car and the positions of it where KITT once stood.

I live in the UK so have absolutely no way of finding any of these places to stand, except for one - what I think was the ultimate location for some of your guys early on - the original Wilton Knight estate that you only ever saw either from a aerial shot, or that other location shot at night: Beaulieu Palace. Sadly I live a good 2-3 hours from it, and not easy roads like you generally find in the Mojavie Desert!

If I do get to go there one day, I'll take some photos.

Did you find the main building for Comtron?
Is there a conclusion that THOTRS really does not stand anymore?

Keep it going guys and gals.

simon_a6
FLAG Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by simon_a6 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:48 pm

Ok.... so here I am watching KOTP again, and spotted the Beaulieu (pronounced Buuuley), but after the first time you see the building, there is a second shot from 'down a hill' up to a building. It's not Beaulieu in that second shot though - different chimneys.

Anyone got any ideas?

Wish I knew that night time shot location.

Handzus' Stupid Fro
Operative

Post by Handzus' Stupid Fro » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:57 pm

simon_a6 wrote:Ok.... so here I am watching KOTP again, and spotted the Beaulieu (pronounced Buuuley), but after the first time you see the building, there is a second shot from 'down a hill' up to a building. It's not Beaulieu in that second shot though - different chimneys.

Anyone got any ideas?

Wish I knew that night time shot location.
Greystone Mansion in LA I believe.

BTW - Welcome aboard!