Knight Rider on Blu-Ray?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

MrPayner
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider on Blu-Ray?

Post by MrPayner » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:43 pm

Hey All..

Does anyone forsee that the new Knight Rider will receive the Blu-Ray treatment when the series boxset is released? I would like to see the Pilot released on BR:DVD as well..

Adz

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Re: Knight Rider on Blu-Ray?

Post by cloudkitt » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:49 pm

I hope they start releasing shows on Blu-Ray soon in general. And I'm not going to be buying any more seasons until they do, because an entire season of a show can fit on 1 Blu-Ray disc which will save a lot of room :)

Anyway, I'm sure they'll start doing it soon, and it is how I hope to own KR one of these days.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:02 pm

For the benefit of those of us that haven't invested in HDTV equipment, Blu-Ray players
and/or prefer the XBox360 over the casket lid-alike PS3, I'd like to see new KR on DVD
first and foremost, before any Blu-Ray disc releases are even considered.

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:39 pm

I might get a Blu-Ray player soon, and it would be great to get the first season of KR08 on Blu-Ray!
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Lexicon
Operative

Post by Lexicon » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:56 pm

If the show goes on to a second season, there will be a Blu-Ray release and if the ratings are popular enough at the "end", there might be a Blu-Ray release, though it's pretty iffy in that case.

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:05 pm

I'd love the original show on Blu-Ray. If KR08 doesn't get BR treatment then it should hit dvd at the very least, heck even Bionic Woman garnered a dvd release and it had it's plug pulled early.

KRShelby
Rookie

Post by KRShelby » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:56 pm

I'd like the original KR series to hit BR... but hey I can't complain. i just bought hte box set...honestly I want to let it sit there as a collection.. should i whip them out and watch it guys? haha :mrgreen:

I'm hoping first and foremost that the new KR series even hits DVDs..not hoping for BR yet. hitting DVDs and having good sales may mean that they can see the popularity of the show.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:16 am

I'm still not 100% sold on Blu Ray. It could be the laser disc of this decade. We shall see. As far as Knight Rider and Blu Ray goes I doubt it. The cancelled series Moonlight from last season on CBS is out on DVD in January with no special features at all. So that's a frame of reference for what to expect on a KR DVD.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:52 am

I'm sure it'll get a Blu-Ray release at the same time as the DVD set. As long as people keep buying HDTVs and home theater systems I'd imagine Blu-Ray is here to stay as more and more people notice the difference in visual and audio quality between it (with releases that are done properly) and DVD (and you don't need to rebuy movies/TV shows if you don't want to since BR players are backward compatible) and no amount of digital distribution will change that in the foreseeable future. It isn't at all like Laser Disc, trust me. ;)
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

honnziva
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by honnziva » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:16 am

the new series will be released on blue ray im sure... but the original... no way, the only way would be if its a direct burn as it stands now onto the blue ray platform... the show hasnt even been released in the 16x9 format... there is no need for the blue ray on any series like this... it wont add anything believe me.
"To our future. No matter who it may take us up against or where"

Lexicon
Operative

Post by Lexicon » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:56 am

honnziva wrote:the new series will be released on blue ray im sure... but the original... no way, the only way would be if its a direct burn as it stands now onto the blue ray platform... the show hasnt even been released in the 16x9 format... there is no need for the blue ray on any series like this... it wont add anything believe me.
Actually the original show did get remastered for broadcast on Universal HD in 16:9.

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:05 am

Ok this may be a dumb quetion, but would it improve TOS if that was relased on blu Ray?

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:18 am

I have a BR player myself with a few films and even I cannot see much difference between DVD and BR in terms of picture quality.

I think it and HD itself is massively overrated.

The only reason why I collect them is because of the audio quality which is a big difference.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shadowy Flight
Rookie
Location: Deadman's Curve (between Silicon Valley and Millston)

Post by Shadowy Flight » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:03 am

I have Knight Rider on Laserdisc with Japanese subtitles! Picture looks better than DVD!
Nothing gold can stay. The Sun sets and it becomes a purple desert...then you get run over by a black car!!!

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:07 am

Skav wrote:I have a BR player myself with a few films and even I cannot see much difference between DVD and BR in terms of picture quality.

The only reason why I collect them is because of the audio quality which is a big difference.
One needs a hi-def TV of at least 50 inches to see a big difference with BR. I've got a home theater with a 100 inch projector, and believe me, the difference is huge. I can't stand to watch a standard DVD in my HT; they look blurry and washed-out by comparison. BR is my choice for the forseeable future.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:11 pm

Shapeshifter wrote:
One needs a hi-def TV of at least 50 inches to see a big difference with BR.
Youre right about that, I had my PS3 on a 37" LCD and a 42" Plasma before my 50" and could hardly notice the difference, ok maybe a slight jump in sharpness of the picture but not enough to warrant changing over from DVD's to Blu Ray. The 50" made a big difference not just because of size but also going from 720p to 1080p and now theres no turning back, every DVD I watch now looks like it was filmed on a cloudy day, not to mention the the huge jump in audio quality you get on BR. BR is the way forward if you ask me, superb picture, true-HD audio, BD live, there really is no comparison. Any future movies I get will be on BR and only anything really awesome that I have on DVD I might get again on Blu Ray, of course that is fully dependant on the transfer quality (picture/audio) & extras to make it a worthwhile purchase.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:02 pm

I am planning on picking up a 52-inch or possibly even 57-inch in the near future, and I also was one who did not notice such a major difference in terms of picture quality, but that could have been due to the size of the screen as others have pointed out. I do, however, notice a difference in movement with the 60 and 120MHz technologies.

The only question for me is if buying some of the more older films such as Terminator 2: Judgement Day or GoodFellas would be worth it on Blu-Ray. The thought of replacing my entire DVD collection with Blu-Ray is nauseating and overwhelming to say the least. At this point, I think I'll just focus on some of the newer films like The Dark Knight, Transformers, 300, and other blockbusters to get the most bang for my buck.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:33 pm

I still have my VHS and just last year started buying a dvd player and some dvds. I cannot imagine already having to move on to Blu-Ray.

If what I have read here is true, then my 27" screen wouldn't show much difference anyway.

So release the dvds in both formats (or 3 for my VHS) and let us choose which one we want.
That is a computer not a sofa.......Knight of the Drones

A firsthand viewer of Knight Rider '08!
And I LOVED it!

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:39 pm

You don't have to, but yeah if the movie was transferred properly, it will since 35mm film has a equivalent resolution that's significantly higher than 1080p resolution. There are old black and white movies from 50 years ago that, if treated properly (transfer, restoration, masters in good condition, ect) can have a huge difference, maybe maybe seem like a bigger difference than newer films. The only problem is that they weren't intended to be shown at such a high of resolution so a lot of older movies it can be really exposed due to the dated effects and camera tricks. Movies are still being compressed to fit, but of course much less than on DVD. If you see a movie in HD and it looks barely better than the DVD version on the same TV then it's most likely because of a poor/sloppy/lazy transfer.

If you need an "aid" to just see how much bigger 1920×1080 (1080i/p) is then open your favorite image editing program and make a new file with those dimensions. Then make a second new image that's 720 x 480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL) then either cut the DVD one out and paste it into the other or scale them so they're the same size and compare to just how much area (bigger) it is.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:02 pm

Shapeshifter wrote:
Skav wrote:I have a BR player myself with a few films and even I cannot see much difference between DVD and BR in terms of picture quality.

One needs a hi-def TV of at least 50 inches to see a big difference with BR. I've got a home theater with a 100 inch projector, and believe me, the difference is huge. I can't stand to watch a standard DVD in my HT; they look blurry and washed-out by comparison. BR is my choice for the forseeable future.
I have a 46" 1080p HDTV and I can see the difference in colour but not much in sharpness. The image, on the whole, is a bit clearer but nothing to shout about, IMO.

I only bought my 46" last year so it's not time for me to upgrade in size yet but I will keep collecting BR seeing as it's the next big thing.

I don't collect movies that I already own though, just new ones. I have to confess that The Dark Knight did look good in BR though.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MrPayner
Operative

Post by MrPayner » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:02 pm

ah it's good to see that people are keen to see it released on BR:DVD.. It still hasn't been shown down in Australia yet, only the 2 hour pilot movie has been shown.

Adz

probe2006
Volunteer

Post by probe2006 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:26 pm

i bought a ps3 to play blue ray was less expensive at the time and i could still play my ps2 games

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:37 pm

probe2006 wrote:i bought a ps3 to play blue ray was less expensive at the time and i could still play my ps2 games
Unfortunately PlayStation 3 game consoles are no longer backward compatible due to the ridiculous amount of revisions Sony has implemented since the release. If you want a backward compatible system, I would look for the discontinued 60GB version which will cost you anywhere from $500-$1,000 due to its limited availability. I waited to purchase the system until the library of games increased, but I mainly want it for the Blu-Ray player. It may be worth it in the long run to purchase a discontinued PS3 if your PS2 ever stops working. At least that way all your old games won't be useless.

I'm sure Knight Rider will eventually make it to Blu-Ray as I'm sure every movie eventually will. But I do hope that Season 4 will finally get a decent release that's better than the rushed set currently available. Universal needs to take the time to add the episode synopses, upgrade the sound, clean up the picture with decent transfers, fix the overcropping problem on the opening title sequences, add the few missing sound effects to "Knight Of the Juggernaut," and finally add the teasers for "Knight Song" and "The Scent Of Roses."
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Drake
Operative

Post by Drake » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:55 pm

I've only tried the first season dvd with my new setup but it looks great on my BluRay player upscaled to 1080p on my 52 LCD. I was quite shocked.
The Kenner Knight 2000 Voice Car. One toy can make a difference.........

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:54 pm

And as I said, when it comes to seasons of TV shows, my biggest draw for Blu-Ray is that a whole season would fit on one disc. (Probably more, but they'll still split it up by seasons still.) The entire series of Knight Rider would be fewer discs than one season on DVD.

My TV isn't over 50" (though only a little less) and I still really like it. Having a PS3 probably helps though.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"