KARR continuity

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: KARR continuity

Post by KnightRiderKR » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:52 pm

CJaguar442 wrote:When Will Arnett becomes available they should fire Val Kilmer. For example, when Universal fired Eric Stoltz soon as Michael J. Fox became available to make Back to the Future. The best decision they ever made.
F that, Val Kilmer is cooler than Will Arnett. He was Iceman in Top Gun and Simon Templar in The Saint.

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:58 pm

Truthfully, I don't know what Will Arnett sounds like, so I can't "picture" him as the voice of KITT. Val Kilmer is growing on me, but if there is a second season of KR, and he does decide to run for governor of new mexico, who will they get to replace him?
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:02 pm

I'm sure KRO still has the promos up on Youtube... Actually I'm going to look for them now.

EDIT: Here's one of only promos that featured Arnett, I think another one did but not sure which and not going to look through all of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJzqZiiM1BE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's the voice actor with the KARRish voice that we all loved... Or I think we did.... IMO they should use this guy's voice if they can for KARR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPL2AXD53eI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice stupid comment by whomever that flick guy is that seems to have a thing for women wrestling men. O_o
KnightRiderKR wrote:
CJaguar442 wrote:When Will Arnett becomes available they should fire Val Kilmer. For example, when Universal fired Eric Stoltz soon as Michael J. Fox became available to make Back to the Future. The best decision they ever made.
F that, Val Kilmer is cooler than Will Arnett. He was Iceman in Top Gun and Simon Templar in The Saint.
Not to mention Madmartigan!
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

ghidorah15
Rookie

Post by ghidorah15 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:18 pm

Daaaang...that DOES sound like Peter Cullen as KARR! Whoever that guy is, they'd better use him! :)

Lexicon
Operative

Post by Lexicon » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:13 pm

Must be Corey Burton. Very interesting. I shall have to look into this.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:50 pm

I'd like to elaborate on this whole KARR situation.

For starters, the ONLY new information about KARR that I've shared is that I saw a very brief clip of a rendering and I thought it looked cool. I liked the level of detail in the model. I liked the quality of the render. I liked the composition and the atmosphere of the scene. It just looked cool to me.

Whether or not this is the old KARR's CPU is old news in my mind: I saw the same episode "Knight of the Living Dead" that you all did. I heard KITT say that KARR was the Knight Auto-cybernetic Roving Robotic exo-skeleton. I heard him say KARR was the prototype of the Knight 3000. That KARR was some kind of cyborg. I saw the same sketches on the screen that you did. Nothing that KITT or Graiman or Torres told us about KARR suggests that there is any connection to the original KARR. And everything they DO tell us suggests this is something new I'm saying this is a brand new entity not because I have any insider information, but because I watched Knight of the Living Dead.

Regarding the timeline, I'll soften my words but my opinion has not changed: I believe that the KARR episode(s)* will be written as if the Trans Am car never existed. By that I am talking strictly about what the writers are thinking. I believe that the new episode will do absolutely nothing to confirm NOR DENY the existence of an earlier vehicle named KARR. I don't think they'll mention finding an abandoned CPU someplace, nor do I think they'll say anything along the lines of "there have only been 3 talking cars; the Knight 2000, the Knight 3000, and KARR." The timeline is easily kept intact by assuming that there are 2 cars that have the same acronym but different names.

I do not believe in the slightest that there is any kind of diabolical plot on the part of writers or GST to try to "trick" us by calling the car "KARR" and then switching it with a brand new character. At Comic-Con, when GST mention KARR, he was referring to the new KARR, not the old one. The same way NBC advertised "KITT is back" when the new series came back, even though we all knew it was not the same character. The same way they brought back The Enterprise for Star Trek as a new ship.

Now then, how do I personally feel about all this? I think it's a bad idea. If the new series is supposed to be a continuation, then they shouldn't be duplicating character names. That's a no-brainer. They should call the new vehicle "KURT", the Knight Universal Robotic Transport. Or whatever. They didn't, but it's not something I'm going to freak out about. And this may be surprising, but in some ways I am more of a Classic KR purist than most of you: I don't WANT the new KARR to be the same character. In my opinion, this car/robot/cyborg/transformer thingee is such a radically different concept from what "our" KARR is, that it could dishonor the memory of the original character. (I'm overstating things a bit.) It would be like Michael Knight coming back as a high-powered lawyer, or a surgeon. Regardless of how many years have gone by, that just isn't what Michael IS. This new KARR may be an amazing car/robot/cyborg/transformer thingee in its own right, but it isn't KARR.

This is what I am choosing to focus on in my mind: when I first saw those sketches in Knight of the Living Dead, they made me very nervous. But now that I'm seen a small taste of what they're doing with it I'm very excited to see the episode(s)*. And if they pull this off, I think people will be at least a little more forgiving about them using the name KARR.

*I don't have a clear grasp of how this all comes together, but my understanding is that the reboot will take place as part of a multi-episode story arc and that KARR is a part of that. I don't know if KARR will appear in only one of those episodes or more.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:29 pm

Whether they call it KARR or not is irrelevant to me. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't. It looks like the only continuity is the name and this KARR exists in its own universe. They are picking and choosing what they want to acknowledge from the original series. I don't particularly mind that so long as it works.

Its similar to the Batman franchise. Could Burton's batmobile work in Nolan's version of Batman? Nope. But the each is a variation of the batmobile that works in its respective film.

Just make it work. That's all I ask.

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:49 pm

I hate spoilers and never read them, but now i wish I asked more lol!
*Sue roams around set with her eyes closed and her fingers in her ears* la la la :mrgreen:
I guess we'll all have to wait for the answer to that one.
I did see a short previs from the KARR episode and trust me it's awesome, it works. :good:
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:52 pm

at least its not a datsun. :lol: its a stang
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:13 pm

Wow, Pheonixzero if I closed my eyes while listening to that video, I would have sworn that was KARR. He really sold me on that one when he said "negative".
That is a computer not a sofa.......Knight of the Drones

A firsthand viewer of Knight Rider '08!
And I LOVED it!

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:36 pm

Sue wrote:I hate spoilers and never read them, but now i wish I asked more lol!
*Sue roams around set with her eyes closed and her fingers in her ears* la la la :mrgreen:
I guess we'll all have to wait for the answer to that one.
I did see a short previs from the KARR episode and trust me it's awesome, it works. :good:
Gee, I hope you didn't bump into the furniture- walking around a TV series set with your eyes closed, humming a merry tune? :D
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

triran
Rookie

Post by triran » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:54 am

My_Friend_KITT wrote:
Wow, Pheonixzero if I closed my eyes while listening to that video, I would have sworn that was KARR. He really sold me on that one when he said "negative".
Ditto! That guy for KARR would be cool. I must say I do prefer VK for KI3T tho

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:48 am

Mr.Marcus wrote:Whether they call it KARR or not is irrelevant to me. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't. It looks like the only continuity is the name and this KARR exists in its own universe. They are picking and choosing what they want to acknowledge from the original series. I don't particularly mind that so long as it works.

Its similar to the Batman franchise. Could Burton's batmobile work in Nolan's version of Batman? Nope. But the each is a variation of the batmobile that works in its respective film.

Here's the thing, Burton's Batmobile certainly wouldn't work in Nolan's Batman but then it wouldn't have to since it's firmly established that Nolan's Batman is a completely separate universe, not a continuation and there's no picking and choosing of this history of the previous movies due to that fact and Nolan hasn't acknowledged Burton's Batman, at all.

It's a lot different for a series that's been sold as a continuation from back in the pilot was in production and onward. No where did they say it was a pseudo continuation or anything like that where they'd cherry pick what they wanted to keep and what they wanted to change. I can live with Graiman and Mike being Micheal Knight's long lost son as well as a new KARR, even with no references to the original, as long as it doesn't mean they're removing the original from history because there's not a single good reason to do that. If they wanted to do that then they might as well as called this show a remake and not at all connected it with the history contained in the original series in any way. It's not like the show picks up right after the original series ended either and they're completely trapped by it, they have 22 years to work with of information that could be filled in so there's plenty of uhh "space" to move around without writing a major villain from the original series out of existence.. There's enough time there that this apparently new KARR(E) could fit without such a lazy tactic.

If the new KARR works, fine but like I said, there's absolutely zero reason to retcon the original or that he was the original KITT's doppelganger and prototype..
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:06 am

@PhoenixZero - I agree that the second video, that sounded more like the voice would work for KARR! I am a big fan of Peter Cullen reprising his role but if he's not able to, then I agree this guy should be it!

As for KARR, I'm just glad to hear he's going to be in the show! I can't wait to see him in the episodes. From what we're being told and all, it sounds fantastic! Look at Sue's video in the news section on her interview with Paul Campbell. He and also Justin Bruening (another video interview she did) both are going on like KARR is going to be amazing! I can't wait! Being a big fan of KARR and all.

Even if there is no reference to the original, I wouldn't mind much. I just would be more delighted if they did have a reference though. But if it works and is entertaining, then I'll enjoy it. I love the show anyway. :) That's the thing with any of the "new" versions of shows. If I'm entertained, then I kinda of can keep the old and new separate if needed.

I remember when the new Battlestar Galactica came out and I didn't see it for 4 seasons (because I don't have cable) and also because I didn't like how they changed everything. Thanks to Netflix and Amazon.com I did get caught up with the 4 seasons of it and actually liked it! So it just goes to show you, even if you're used to the original (and I still love the original BSG as well), if a show is entertaining enough, give it a chance and you might like the new too! :)

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:05 am

PHOENIXZERO wrote:
Mr.Marcus wrote:Whether they call it KARR or not is irrelevant to me. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't. It looks like the only continuity is the name and this KARR exists in its own universe. They are picking and choosing what they want to acknowledge from the original series. I don't particularly mind that so long as it works.

Here's the thing, Burton's Batmobile certainly wouldn't work in Nolan's Batman but then it wouldn't have to since it's firmly established that Nolan's Batman is a completely separate universe, not a continuation and there's no picking and choosing of this history of the previous movies due to that fact and Nolan hasn't acknowledged Burton's Batman, at all.

It's a lot different for a series that's been sold as a continuation from back in the pilot was in production and onward. No where did they say it was a pseudo continuation or anything like that where they'd cherry pick what they wanted to keep and what they wanted to change. I can live with Graiman and Mike being Micheal Knight's long lost son as well as a new KARR, even with no references to the original, as long as it doesn't mean they're removing the original from history because there's not a single good reason to do that. If they wanted to do that then they might as well as called this show a remake and not at all connected it with the history contained in the original series in any way. It's not like the show picks up right after the original series ended either and they're completely trapped by it, they have 22 years to work with of information that could be filled in so there's plenty of uhh "space" to move around without writing a major villain from the original series out of existence.. There's enough time there that this apparently new KARR(E) could fit without such a lazy tactic.

If the new KARR works, fine but like I said, there's absolutely zero reason to retcon the original or that he was the original KITT's doppelganger and prototype..
That's the danger with a continuation. Everyone loses their minds over the details. And no matter what the creators do, loads of fans will be upset over the exclusion or altering of something. But there's no better way to sell your product than by linking it to something beloved by fans.

This series is a continuation in name only. They are doing their own thing and taking superficial elements from the original series. If people accept this the better off and less crazy they will be. I don't particularly mind that so long as whatever they do works.

I think people are setting the bar that b/c KR08 has elements of the original it must be a direct continuation of it and set about to criticize it on that level. But KR08 is not really an extension or a direct continuation of the original. They are just using the superficial elements and cloaking themselves in the mystique and popularity of the original. The scanner sound, KARR, turbo boost, etc. {People start to experience mass myopia and can't discern the art of marketing which GST and crew are heavily engaged in by claiming the series is a continuation of the original. The sooner people accept KR08 as its own show apart from the original the better b/c despite what the producers say, KR08 is doing its own thing as evidenced by each episode.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:10 am

If it's not the same AI they shouldn't call it KARR, simple as that. Yeah yeah yeah, both KITTs have the same name, but the first KITT was a SUCCESS, KARR was NOT.

If you want to make fans squee, then make it the original KARR. If you don't care, call it something else. Going 'halvsies' is dumb.

It's not like I'm gonna stop watching the show over it or anything, just saying.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:23 am

cloudkitt wrote:If it's not the same AI they shouldn't call it KARR, simple as that. Yeah yeah yeah, both KITTs have the same name, but the first KITT was a SUCCESS, KARR was NOT.

If you want to make fans squee, then make it the original KARR. If you don't care, call it something else. Going 'halvsies' is dumb.

It's not like I'm gonna stop watching the show over it or anything, just saying.
Maybe this car was a tribute to the original prototype. The Foundation decided to do the same thing as the KARR before, make a new protoype, thought that if they built a working model that didnt go crazy, it would be a good way to honor the idea of the original. The original was flawed by the human's that designed it, not itself. It only followed it programming. In anothing world, KARR could have been the Knight car that succeeded.
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:34 pm

But that's like making a new Yugo to restore the name, NO ONE would buy it.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:43 pm

Or a new naming a new ship Titanic or space shuttle Challenger that "fixes" the flaws of the original but not really.