reboot/retool info in the December 15 issue of TV Guide

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Kaine
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

reboot/retool info in the December 15 issue of TV Guide

Post by Kaine » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:44 am

...as found on Kryptonsite:
http://www.kittsite.com/tvguide-dec08.htm

- The January 7 episode is the first episode of the three-part exit of actors Yancey Arias (Torres), Bruce Davison (Graiman), and Sydney Tamiia Poitier (Rivai), and one of them gets a heart-wrenching death scene.
- The show's "streamlined relaunch" begins on January 28.
- After the show's government conspiracy is revealed, "there will be more closed-ended episodes," Gary Scott Thompson tells the magazine.
- Among the guest stars coming up: Shaft's Richard Roundtree on January 14, and Tiki Barber on February 4.

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Re: reboot/retool info in the December 15 issue of TV Guide

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:43 am

I'm guessing that Roundtree is playing Carrie's father.
- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchives.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:11 pm

Gee, another reason why I wish they weren't getting rid of Ravai.
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:06 pm

Knight Rider Archive wrote:I'm guessing that Roundtree is playing Carrie's father.
I can dig it :)

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:30 pm

I just hope we don't get the SHAFT on this one. :D

knightdogg
Rookie

Post by knightdogg » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:38 am

Shut Yo Mouth :D

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:35 pm

I wonder who's gonna get killed in this episode...
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:28 pm

I'm very worried about this so called retooling scheme. It is just to please the 80's fans and it might end up sinking the show as a whole like the Titanic something the haters are waitng and praying for anyway...

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:05 pm

Why? They're going back to the idea of generally helping the little guy, I doubt we'll be getting any "save the hottie of the week's farm" type episodes or anything like that, but they're not going to go out stopping terrorist in every episode. Plus focus is being put more on Mike and KITT, just as it should have been from the start. The government/military angle could have worked better but I still think there always was an intention to go back to more smaller or personal missions. Likely with a big reduction on the T&A and sexual situations. Either way, it's going to be up to the writers to make it work, something that IMO they didn't do that good a job with in the first eight or nine (to be fair, I haven't seen Knight Fever yet) outside a few episodes.

There are plenty of things to worry about, the change in direction IMO really isn't one of them.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:24 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:Why? They're going back to the idea of generally helping the little guy, I doubt we'll be getting any "save the hottie of the week's farm" type episodes or anything like that, but they're not going to go out stopping terrorist in every episode. Plus focus is being put more on Mike and KITT, just as it should have been from the start. The government/military angle could have worked better but I still think there always was an intention to go back to more smaller or personal missions. Likely with a big reduction on the T&A and sexual situations. Either way, it's going to be up to the writers to make it work, something that IMO they didn't do that good a job with in the first eight or nine (to be fair, I haven't seen Knight Fever yet) outside a few episodes.

There are plenty of things to worry about, the change in direction IMO really isn't one of them.
Helping the little guy nowadays require people working outside the law like in the show Leverage, is not the 80's anymore. And in the original show they never worked outside the law so either they become total outlaws to help the little guy or is not going to work. And if they do go outside the law they would need money, resources and equpiment to keep KITT going and that could only come from organizations and regimes that want to destroy our way of life antyhow so it would not work either...

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:35 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:Why? They're going back to the idea of generally helping the little guy, I doubt we'll be getting any "save the hottie of the week's farm" type episodes or anything like that, but they're not going to go out stopping terrorist in every episode. Plus focus is being put more on Mike and KITT, just as it should have been from the start. The government/military angle could have worked better but I still think there always was an intention to go back to more smaller or personal missions. Likely with a big reduction on the T&A and sexual situations. Either way, it's going to be up to the writers to make it work, something that IMO they didn't do that good a job with in the first eight or nine (to be fair, I haven't seen Knight Fever yet) outside a few episodes.

You don't think the "Roadhouse" episode sounds like a "Save the hottie of the week's farm?"

DrWho2005
Operative

Post by DrWho2005 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:06 am

PunkMaister wrote:

Helping the little guy nowadays require people working outside the law like in the show Leverage, is not the 80's anymore. And in the original show they never worked outside the law so either they become total outlaws to help the little guy or is not going to work. And if they do go outside the law they would need money, resources and equpiment to keep KITT going and that could only come from organizations and regimes that want to destroy our way of life antyhow so it would not work either...

God, you have no idea do you?
No wonder the show is a failure.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:41 am

DrWho2005 wrote:God, you have no idea do you?
No wonder the show is a failure.
Oh I have a pretty good idea of how things work nowadays as opposed to the good O'l 80's and just FYI the show is by no means a failure. That is your opinion and yours alone not shared obviously by tons of viewers who tune in to watch the show. :roll:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:20 pm

KRAvengerII wrote: You don't think the "Roadhouse" episode sounds like a "Save the hottie of the week's farm?"
Well, it was a bar, not a farm. <_< >_> Though yeah, I guess it does, especially with the bad guy wanting it because of something more valuable than the property itself.
PunkMaister wrote: Oh I have a pretty good idea of how things work nowadays as opposed to the good O'l 80's and just FYI the show is by no means a failure. That is your opinion and yours alone not shared obviously by tons of viewers who tune in to watch the show. :roll:
What do you call a show that's in a distant third in total viewers and dead last in the two major demographics? Though to be fair it's tied with The Adventures of Old Christine in the 18-34 range but then gets destroyed in the 18-49 demo but then Gary Unmarried comes on and spanks it even harder and beats it in the 18-34 range. It's even getting beat by Telemundo in those two demographics! Hell, Telemundo even beat NBC in total viewers at one point. There aren't "tons" of viewers unless you're adding up the weights of all of the viewers. If you think the show is doing fine as it is then you're just kidding yourself. The only chance it has is a change in direction along with some hopefully better writing.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2008/11/20/we ... or-cw/8499" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:42 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:
KRAvengerII wrote: You don't think the "Roadhouse" episode sounds like a "Save the hottie of the week's farm?"
Well, it was a bar, not a farm. <_< >_> Though yeah, I guess it does, especially with the bad guy wanting it because of something more valuable than the property itself.
PunkMaister wrote: Oh I have a pretty good idea of how things work nowadays as opposed to the good O'l 80's and just FYI the show is by no means a failure. That is your opinion and yours alone not shared obviously by tons of viewers who tune in to watch the show. :roll:
What do you call a show that's in a distant third in total viewers and dead last in the two major demographics? Though to be fair it's tied with The Adventures of Old Christine in the 18-34 range but then gets destroyed in the 18-49 demo but then Gary Unmarried comes on and spanks it even harder and beats it in the 18-34 range. It's even getting beat by Telemundo in those two demographics! Hell, Telemundo even beat NBC in total viewers at one point. There aren't "tons" of viewers unless you're adding up the weights of all of the viewers. If you think the show is doing fine as it is then you're just kidding yourself. The only chance it has is a change in direction along with some hopefully better writing.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2008/11/20/we ... or-cw/8499" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The direction is not the problem but the writting specially the constant voyeurism aspect brought on by Billy and his eternal Asian companion and rival at his side. I fear now that they will totally forget Michael's misterous military background and past in favor of as they say "save the farm girl of the week plots" not to mention that as I said to help the little guy nowadays you would need to do it outside the law period! And honestly I've seen other so called re-tooled shows that all they have done is turn into total fiascos one shinning example being the show Andromeda!

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:16 am

Of course the direction is the problem, the writing and the big brother aspect (which includes the voyeurism part) is part of that direction, the direction encompasses almost everything that's wrong with the show. That change of direction also means more Mike/KITT time, are you saying that hasn't been a problem?

You say the whole "helping the little guy" aspect can only be done outside the law? Why is that? Because if the government is involved FLAG would be used for something other than that? For more important things perhaps? Well of course and the government wouldn't let some non-profit organization do everything shown in the TOS. But here's the thing, even in the original series FLAG worked with but was still mostly separate from the government, the difference is that they weren't in charge or have control over what FLAG usually did but they certainly offered Michael a certain amount of protection in some regards. It could be easily explained as to how that changed over the years, I've done it many times in the last several months and the downfall of FLAG could all easily start with the passing of Devon Miles and his (and probably Wilton Knight's) friends in high places also passing away, going into retirement or just falling out of power in Washington and the surrounding states in which FLAG operated.

Like wise, getting back to that and pushing the overbearing government influence out of the group and allowing FLAG to return could in some ways be also done in a similar fashion, hell let the whole "one man can make a difference" thing come around full circle and now some of those people Michael Knight, KITT and FLAG helped and influenced over the course of 20+ years would now the ones rising into power or already in power and feel that they wouldn't be who they are today if it weren't for Michael Knight and the Foundation for Law and Government intervening in their lives. So they would want the organization to not only continue saving lives and influencing others but also being there to at least to some extent, keep the government in check. Just like we're supposed to be doing in the real world, yet seem to be failing at.

They need to show that Michael Knight in fact did make a difference that was greater than what we saw in the series and that can easily be done with it being 20+ years later and that's not to say that maybe he inadvertently did some bad too since it would be a bit unrealistic that everyone Michael Knight saved turned into productive members of society who went on to lead happy, perfect lives. The government on the Federal, State and Local levels have plenty of bad guys and that's not going to change too much but that doesn't there just as easily could be many good guys there that support the cause of FLAG to where it's a off the books operation that's independent from the government to a degree where there might be some oversight but not to the point where the characters (including KITT). We're at a time that's not too unlike what was happening in the early 80s, especially with the recession. Do you not think people would enjoy "the man" getting what's coming to them today? The problem is that right now, it's the man who is in charge and that IS a problem.

Top it off it could open up the door for Hasselhoff to come back and take the Devon role (though I'm still not sure if I'd want him back full time) where FLAG is restored and functions in a similar way is it originally did and was meant to as per Wilton's wishes. The Knight Foundation can easily still exist to fund FLAG like it did before and certainly money from Knight Industries could also help fund the Knight Foundation.

Naturally not every episode should be about taking down a corrupt businessman, politician, cops, whatever. But that's at least one subject matter more than what the even more limited "terrorist of the week" angle has brought us and that's not to say there still won't be the save the world from terrorist episodes, they just won't be there every week. It's not a bad thing to widen the scope of what the show is going to cover. They don't need the long driving scenes of the TOS, they need to waste as little time as possible, when they need to break some of the monotony of there just being Mike and KITT doing whatever it is they're doing, they can go to Sarah, Billy and Zoe for a few seconds to several minutes instead of pointless time wasters like in your face T&A that serves no purpose, pointless flirting or sexual tension that doesn't work. Getting people to care about the main cast is needed but they also need to give people something more to care about with the missions and so far they haven't done that. Because there's generally been no one else other than the bad guys every week that no one can relate to nor care about. As it is now with the first eight episodes (Knight Fever too) the main characters are just doing their job, they have no real cause or motivation for doing what they're doing, just a job. They need to make it more than a job, to the point where it isn't really a job but mainly a cause, an ideal, the knight who saves the day. Even if one might consider it small scale, it's more than what's being done now.

Or maybe you meant that it can't be done because today people would find it unrealistic? There are many more things in the new series that are a lot less realistic than that. I think that if audiences can accept people with gaining super powers, a show based around fringe science, the CSIs and their super detectives and their unrealistic crime solving abilities or medical dramas where a brilliant yet troubled doctor in a extremely formulaic show pulls out cures for the patient of the week's "mystery illness" from his backside in the last five to ten mentions of a show, I think they can still easily suspend their disbelief of an organization that fights crime and corruption with a man who does not exist and his partner/super car. Television is still full of things that are unrealistic and flat out BS. People will still have a lot more problems with the transformations than they will with that. Unfortunately the show will still probably be considered a Transformers rip off. Though hopefully the writers will stop looking to popular movies to get their plot devices.

You want to know a shining example of a show that went from being a fiasco to a total success? It's another Gene Roddenberry show called Star Trek: The Next Generation. Not only did the retooling of the show in its second season save it, but it was so successful that the show lasted four seasons (7 total) longer than the original which only ran for three. I could run off plenty of shows that were all but ruined due to changes in direction but that was due to interference by people who had no clue as to what the shows were about or the ideas associated with them. Basically suits who don't "get it" and guess what? The people in charge of Knight Rider (especially the higher ups at NBC) are those suits who didn't get it and that's why now they have to make a huge deal out of a change in direction that was at least in some regards, likely planned from the start.

There's no reason that Knight Rider today can't go for four seasons, if not longer unless they keep screwing up and making a show that most of the viewing audience doesn't want to watch and also a punchline for unfunny late night talk show hosts and a easy punching bag for critics.

If you watched the Justin Bruening video Sue posted not too long ago and have read the spoilers for the transitional episodes then you should already know that the arc of Mike's forgotten past hasn't been forgotten nor will it be because it's apparently going to be a catalyst for some of the changes, including his character's motivation for doing what he's now going to be doing. Kind of a cliche but eh, it's better than nothing.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:00 pm

You know something? I have no idea why is it that all is left on this board is the naysayers and haters of the new show. Is like everybody else have vanished into thin air! Probably just waiting for the show to come back in the air to post again. Anyway it doesn't matter. If the show was and is as bad as you say it would have been canned long ago and the news is quite to the contrary. And just FYI I happened to watch ST:TNG and there was never this major retooling/recasting that you speak off! No mayor characters dissapeared overnight as is going to be the case in this show now. They did not change the layout of the ship nor of it's command structure, they did not change the ship's mission parameters of that "To boldly go where no man had gone before..." either. But TNG did suffer from mayor problems none the less that were never solved thru out it's whole life and got worse with Voyager!
One thing that struck is how imbecile and retarded the writers made the 24th century federation! An organization that was so so stupid and inept it would sign extremely detrimental one sided treaties with their worst enemies such as the one with the Romulans not to persue or advance Cloaking tech even though that regime was actively persuing and dvancing such tech! Well it does mirror the UN this days but that is a separate issue.