Justin Bruening Interview on the set of ep. 17

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Justin Bruening Interview on the set of ep. 17

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:08 am

JJSoCrazy wrote:Sounds more like the original and it should work for us! I like how it sounds and the fact they are doing KITT vs KARR, just hope it is the original KARR CPU! Too bad he didn't say nothing about DH & KI2T.

Joe

Why?? I don't understand everyone's desires on having KITT and KARR's original CPUs embedded into today's state of the art. You do realize what the CPU actually does. If you could actually put an 8 bit NES processor into a WII, you would burn out yesterdays technology. I'm very positive that today's KARR is going to have a background story that is going to make you forget all about the scrap parts that was KARR in the 80's. At least, I hope.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:53 am

Hasn't seen his co-stars at all for 5 episodes? Man, GST certainly is a man of extremes, isn't he?

Anyway, sounds great, this KITT vs KARR jazz sounds exciting. Unfortunately I will be in Japan for the semester and will miss all of it! :evil: :evil:

Totally figures....probably the only time I'll be in Japan in my entire life and a new Knight Rider hangs in the balance...sigh
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

triran
Rookie

Post by triran » Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:18 am

Thanks Sue and co, great work and great interview.

Now I am very excited!

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:42 am

KnightINSTINCT wrote:
JJSoCrazy wrote:Sounds more like the original and it should work for us! I like how it sounds and the fact they are doing KITT vs KARR, just hope it is the original KARR CPU! Too bad he didn't say nothing about DH & KI2T.

Joe

Why?? I don't understand everyone's desires on having KITT and KARR's original CPUs embedded into today's state of the art. You do realize what the CPU actually does. If you could actually put an 8 bit NES processor into a WII, you would burn out yesterdays technology. I'm very positive that today's KARR is going to have a background story that is going to make you forget all about the scrap parts that was KARR in the 80's. At least, I hope.
It would make sense to use the SAME KARR from TOS rather than another mistake that so happened to be called KARR. This is what I mean by original CPU.

Joe

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:30 pm

Well, that's what blows my mind on why people want it to happen. Either way you're looking at it, if they go with the same or create a brand new CPU, they're making the same folly. This time around, the premise of a car before KITT doesn't seem so much like an actual prototype for a car destined to preserve human life and aid it's co-pilot. KARR's purpose now seems like it was made to fight and kill if necessary. The only sense of a prototype I can see in this series is mainly a vehicle that can transform. This time around, we aren't watching twins do battle on each other, and for that I'm very excited.

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:42 am

Is that a nosebleed Justin's having in that picture? Can you tell us what happened, Sue? :mrgreen:
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

lunchmeat
FLAG Recruit

Post by lunchmeat » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:03 pm

The whole KITT vs KARR thing...

Bringing him back into the here and now wouldn't really make any sense, no matter how they did it. KARR's CPU is old, the car itself is old....there really isn't a viable way they could do like, a 1-to-1 thing where it's like "oh look, it's KARR from the 80s!"

The new KARR would have to be an AI comparable to KI3T, with abilities to match...

A lot of people are saying bring the old CPU back, or bring the old body back. I don't think the body would be a great idea....but I think that they could make KARR similar to a virus. He's an AI, right? If they took his chip to study it, they probably would have had to analyze it with computers....and KARR's "mind" could infiltrate or infect said computers. KARR's core programming could merge with a new AI system (what happened to Prometheus?) and create something on the level with KI3T, only with KARR's sensibilities (or lack thereof). Eventually, he could make his way into some type of mobile body and begin to wreak havoc. Maybe, just maybe, he could even hack into KI3T....

I think that'd be the only way to really bring KARR up to date while still retaining his original character. Anything else really wouldn't make sense - as someone said, you can't stick an NES chip into an Xbox360 and expect to get great things. Additionally, you can't expect a Commodore 64 to beat out a PS3... instead of focusing on KARR's body, or physical chip, we need to focus on his core personality and programming. I think it would be a true testament to KARR's resilience if he came back as a virus and either corrupted KI3T or manipulated others into doing his bidding and achieving his ends. Since they've already got the episode made, though, I guess it's moot.

Sorry about all the ellipses.
If I am destroyed... ...so shall you be. -KARR

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:40 am

Neato! Awesome work as always Sue.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

Vegasmike
FLAG Recruit

Post by Vegasmike » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:17 pm

Sue wrote:
BlueChaos wrote:
Sue wrote:I only saw Justin. He tells me it's been mainly him on set these days since after the reboot the focus will be more on him and KITT.
That's great news Sue!
Um, do you happen to have a video of Justin saying that, to please us fans? :mrgreen:
Here you go :D
http://knightrideronline.com/news/2008/ ... ode_17.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm really liking what he said. It sounds like the show will be awesome. :good:
Oh and he's really cute too, but we already knew that. :mrgreen:
Great job Sue! Justin seems really nice. Yes, we already knew that :wink: but it never hurts to be reminded of it. :mrgreen:
Call me Mike.
http://blog.vegasondemand.com/2011/09/l ... lebration/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://blog.vegasondemand.com/2010/01/k ... egas-2010/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:25 pm

AWSOME work Sue and Neil and everyone involved... This show is FAR from dead! The episodes starting in January should be really exciting. I also can't wait to see the "retooled" show, seeing that it's what we, the fans, have been waiting for since this new incarnation began, a return to TOS style of Mike and KITT out on the road alone, helping out the every day man. The future of Knight Rider is VERY bright, now more than ever!!! 8) :good:

:kitt: :karr:

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:59 pm

Sue, I was hoping to see a new thread on that "Channeling Hasselhoff" news.

I love the comparison pics...Looks awesome.

Paul Cambell looks cute there too. I love his character and personality also. Glad to see they kept him.8)

Thanks for the pics...
That is a computer not a sofa.......Knight of the Drones

A firsthand viewer of Knight Rider '08!
And I LOVED it!

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:42 pm

lunchmeat wrote:The whole KITT vs KARR thing...

Bringing him back into the here and now wouldn't really make any sense, no matter how they did it. KARR's CPU is old, the car itself is old....there really isn't a viable way they could do like, a 1-to-1 thing where it's like "oh look, it's KARR from the 80s!"

The new KARR would have to be an AI comparable to KI3T, with abilities to match...

A lot of people are saying bring the old CPU back, or bring the old body back. I don't think the body would be a great idea....but I think that they could make KARR similar to a virus. He's an AI, right? If they took his chip to study it, they probably would have had to analyze it with computers....and KARR's "mind" could infiltrate or infect said computers. KARR's core programming could merge with a new AI system (what happened to Prometheus?) and create something on the level with KI3T, only with KARR's sensibilities (or lack thereof). Eventually, he could make his way into some type of mobile body and begin to wreak havoc. Maybe, just maybe, he could even hack into KI3T....

I think that'd be the only way to really bring KARR up to date while still retaining his original character. Anything else really wouldn't make sense - as someone said, you can't stick an NES chip into an Xbox360 and expect to get great things. Additionally, you can't expect a Commodore 64 to beat out a PS3... instead of focusing on KARR's body, or physical chip, we need to focus on his core personality and programming. I think it would be a true testament to KARR's resilience if he came back as a virus and either corrupted KI3T or manipulated others into doing his bidding and achieving his ends. Since they've already got the episode made, though, I guess it's moot.

Sorry about all the ellipses.
Only those who don't seem to have ever seen or don't remember KITT vs KARR are saying "bring KARR back as a Trans-Am" or maybe they're idiots I don't know. That would be almost as bad as saying KARR didn't exist in the original mythology.

Now in a bout of not feeling like writing another short novel, I'm taking something I wrote before, retrofitting and expanding it to work in this post.

Yes we know that in comparison, KARR's CPU should be a snail in molasses compared to today's CPUs but the AI unit that is KARR or the original KITT is more than just a CPU. In the original series, the AI and the vehicle were two separate entities as the car itself had a computer on board. The AI was there giving instructions to the other processors that were controlling the car. This separation was shown multiple times during the original series with KITT being removed from the Knight 2000 including at least one episode, Sole Survivor in season two where KITT was hacked by a teenager (on a Commadore64 of all things) and removed from the car, which ended up in control of Adrianne Margeaux, operated by said teenager in a hilariously fashion with an Atari joystick. Of course Adrianne went on to reappear in a later episode, Goliath Returns.

Anyway, the point is that, in some ways yeah it'd be odd to just use the original KARR's AI unit, due to potential compatibility issues though they could easily have that sorted out with the body designed for the AI and KARR not having brains advanced enough to handle things that should be more intensive and require more processing power though, from what we saw, KARR(E)'s transforming looked a lot more simplistic than what the new KITT is doing, he could simply just be able to tell the on board computer what to do similar to how KARR and KITT interacted with their versions of the cars they were in before or they could have simply upgraded KARR with the original AI unit, transferred the AI into a newer unit as an upgrade or simply have it be a new AI based on KARR's design. Though since KARR's memory banks (unless the memory bank was contained in the AI unit) were likely destroyed with the car he'd be like a new AI anyway and unlike KITT he had no where to upload himself to at the last moment in a similar way as KITT did in Junkyard Dog. There should be no expectations for KARR to return in a Trans-Am by anyone, that would just be silly since the body was destroyed in his second appearance, but the AI Unit/CPU was still "alive" as shown at the end.

Either way, there's no reason not to have a new KARR that is at the very least, an AI based off the original, maybe developed by the military after the government clearly gained control of KI, thus retaining the history of KARR and maybe even saying the original AI for something else. What would be so hard about that? Hell like I already said, the original AI might not even have access to his memory banks so either way it'd be like a brand new AI.

But I'm sorry, I can't stand by and support the idea that the writers are revising and defecating on the original's history and mythology in such a way if that is the case, nor can I be excited or happy about it because it's a horribly stupid decision. Michael Knight having a son he knew about the entire time (if they're keeping that he did) and Charles Graiman being the real inventor of KITT were bad enough and at least a bit forgivable and still something that could be changed and fixed. It's such a bogus cop out and I'd have to say that I'd be a little disappointed in anyone who is, first and foremost a fan of the original series buying this and being so gung ho about the potential retconning one of the only two villains of the original series had that a lot of people know about, if that's the thing they're really doing. This show was sold as a continuation and not some half-assed pick and choose what they want to keep and what they don't. That isn't a continuation, that's a remake with convenient history. It's stuff like this that would make me give up on it, no matter how much I like the cast or improvements they've made in the retooling or how awesome this new KARR might be.

It really is a good thing I don't have any interaction with the people in charge or the writers, while I could keep it civil, I couldn't let it slide without telling them exactly what I think if they do go the route of removing KARR from the OS history. I'd probably end up getting tossed out. :P

I just hope they keep it vague so they leave things open. Because it sucks that as things go on, the more it seems like those who I thought of as being "Chicken Littles" (except in this case, it's not the sky that's falling) seem to have been correct in what they were saying.

EDIT: D'oh! I was thinking of one of the KARR topics when I made this so long but oh well, it can still stand as a response to lunchmeat...
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Vegasmike
FLAG Recruit

Post by Vegasmike » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:50 pm

My_Friend_KITT wrote:Sue, I was hoping to see a new thread on that "Channeling Hasselhoff" news.

I love the comparison pics...Looks awesome.

Paul Cambell looks cute there too. I love his character and personality also. Glad to see they kept him.8)

Thanks for the pics...
I thought Paul looked cute in the pic too! :)
Call me Mike.
http://blog.vegasondemand.com/2011/09/l ... lebration/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://blog.vegasondemand.com/2010/01/k ... egas-2010/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:32 pm

It really is a good thing I don't have any interaction with the people in charge or the writers, while I could keep it civil, I couldn't let it slide without telling them exactly what I think if they do go the route of removing KARR from the OS history
Yeah, you're right, but just keep in mind that right now everyone involved with this show, including NBC itself, is desperate in every single way to just keep this show going. It doesn't matter if they follow TOS, although they should have done so from the get go. At this point they probably perceive it as that they have nothing to lose by ignoring TOS, so if that's what they need to do to keep this silly show alive, they're gonna have to do it. So if their half assed attempt at a continuation isn't working, and it's not, then they'll transform :lol: it into a remake(?), and since very few people have been watching the show thus far anyway, nobody will notice?