Knight Rider Season Reduced - from 22 to 17

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

wheresmurphy
Volunteer

Knight Rider Season Reduced - from 22 to 17

Post by wheresmurphy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:16 pm

I just saw this on http://www.ew.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; "http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2008/12/nbc ... st-un.html
Low ratings have prompted NBC to trim Knight Rider's order from 21 episodes to 17. As a result, the show's season (and possible series) finale will be broadcast Feb. 25..
Man... they are going to have to get a move on if they are going to have the Hoff and Kitt back.

Knight316
Operative

Uh...guys...bad news

Post by Knight316 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:17 pm

From Ausiello on EW...Re NBC's Mid-Season plans

• Low ratings have prompted NBC to trim Knight Rider's order from 21 episodes to 17. As a result, the show's season (and possible series) finale will be broadcast Feb. 25.

That is definately NOT a good sign.

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Uh...guys...bad news

Post by KRAvengerII » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:32 pm

Well, I wasn't sure we were going to get 22 episodes anyway, if the actor's strike went through. I can't say I'm really surprised by this- NBC is just cutting their losses.
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:43 pm

So are any of you guys that constantly moaned and groaned about the show any happier now?

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative

Post by Joe Huth » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:47 pm

This site calls it the "Season Finale":

8-9 p.m. -- "Knight Rider" (season finale February 25; new show beginning March 4 to be announced soon)

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39308

Joe
Knight Rider Historian - visit my website: http://www.KnightRiderHistorians.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Co-author of Knight Rider Legacy

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:05 pm

Well that sucks... That's five episodes they and we have lost, really not a good sign... I wonder if that signifies NBC giving up on it or is Ford pulling out?
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:07 pm

Isn't that four eps we lose? Or do I need to give my head a shake?

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:09 pm

The initial run was 13, then NBC ordered four more scripts which was followed by going ahead and ordering the full back nine to make it 22 episodes. Now, if this is true, they've gone back to only those four they ordered or something to that effect. Hopefully those seven (10-17) are good and NBC is going to be promoting the hell out of them and give the show the promotion and attention that it should have had in the first place instead of My Own Worst Enemy.
Last edited by PHOENIXZERO on Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:11 pm

can they even do that once they extend it to a Full Season order without having some sort of extenuating circumstances?

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:14 pm

Depends on how episode 17 was written I guess. If it was written after they got picked up for the full back nine then that might mean we could get a wonderful non-ending "finale" or even worse, a cliffhanger.

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:16 pm

Knight316 wrote:From Ausiello on EW...Re NBC's Mid-Season plans

• Low ratings have prompted NBC to trim Knight Rider's order from 21 episodes to 17.
Oh ok, the quote is wrong stating 21 episodes.

neps
Site Administrator

Re: Knight Rider Season Reduced - from 22 to 17

Post by neps » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:29 pm

This is definitely rough news to hear.

It means they'll be running a new episode every week from 12/31 until 2/25.

The word I just got is that episode 17 is currently filming and will be the last for now. It being written and directed by GST. They will be shooting through next Friday.

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:29 pm

Yikes, that isn't good.
I hope they don't cancel it.
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:29 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:The initial run was 13, then NBC ordered four more scripts which was followed by going ahead and ordering the full back nine to make it 22 episodes. Now, if this is true, they've gone back to only those four they ordered or something to that effect. Hopefully those seven (10-17) are good and NBC is going to be promoting the hell out of them and give the show the promotion and attention that it should have had in the first place instead of My Own Worst Enemy.
Well, i wouldn't hold my breath; there was a letter in today's tv guide from a guy who complained that the show wasn't "Family friendly." The only way NBC would be able to lure the casual viewer back would be to admit they heard the fans complaints and have made the necessary changes- i.e., more action, less T&A. Frankly, I'd like the shows producers to come on here and explain some things like whether or not they really did "get it" as they claimed they did in San Diego, why they went in the direction they did, why there weren't more stunts as promised- (You're going to get sick of all the turbo boosts<") or something to that effect- and their decisions about the actors that were let go- did they really want to write for Bruce and Sydney?) but if all but one of the episodes are completed, there really isn't much hope of anything being done to entice the viewer back again. Still, maybe the last nine eps will really impress Us, so we'll tell all our friends to tune in, but SOMEBODY's gotta step up, and admit they screwed up for that to happen. Do you think NBC"S been screening the episodes and telling the producers to ramp up the action, and tone down the adult content? Wishful thinking, on my part.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:50 pm

Hmmm, speaking of TV Guide prompted me to look into it since I have a subscription for some reason. I guess the new one is in the PO Box still, I'll get it tomorrow.. The two week issue for last week and this week though had a mention I didn't see (because I rarely read the stupid thing) in a section called "Breaking News: TV Gets a Tune-up". Old news to us now and annoyingly refer to the show as just KITT a couple times, but anyway.

THE BREAKDOWN
The revival of the kitschy '80s classic Knight Rider has been picked up for a full season but still isn't getting any ratings traction.

THE FIX
In the desperate hope to get at least one new NBC show to work this season, KITT is undergoing a major rebuild. Cast members Sydney Tamilia Poitier, Yancey Arias and Bruce Davidson are out. KITT will veer away from world-saving missions and gear up for adventures with regular folks in peril. NBC thinks that's the way to make Knight Rider a better fit with Life and Law & Order as the network makes prime time crime time on Wednesday.

They have a chance to redeem themselves and I hope they really have taken advantage of it, including toning down the unneeded sexual situations and excessive T&A because I can certainly see that turning parents off and not letting their kids watch it.

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:26 pm

Well it was always going to happen, and I wouldn't exspect another season either.
And some of you thought I was just mkoaning in other threads???

Well there goes your proof in a nutshell

RobWolf
Rookie

Post by RobWolf » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:35 pm

Stylez wrote:So are any of you guys that constantly moaned and groaned about the show any happier now?
Too right! To celebrate, I shall immediately crack one out, and then tomorrow evening I will buy a round for everyone in the pub, and I mean EVERYONE.

BEST CHRISTMAS PRESENT EVER!!!

Although I will be a bit miffed if they don't do the KARR episode. They've trimmed the number of episodes, so they should re-jig the episode order and make sure they get that KARR episode in.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:35 pm

Good for you, now go throw a party and celebrate the likely death of Knight Rider across all mediums. What great fans you are.

DriverRay
Volunteer

Post by DriverRay » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:40 pm

WE NEED TO STOP THE ENDING OF THE SHOW FROM HAPPENING.
WE NEED TO BAND TOGETHER AND SAVE THE SHOW.
WILL YOU ALL HELP?

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:43 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:Good for you, now go throw a party and celebrate the likely death of Knight Rider across all mediums. What great fans you are.
Come on you never thought it was going to make season 2 did you?
GST got Knight Rider and completly killed the concept stone dead, along with any chance of the series having a decent run.

He probaly has other plans, so killing the show has got him off the hook.

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:51 pm

This is very sad news indeed. While I enjoyed the show, I know that it had its problems. I was hoping it would get to prove itself after the soft reboot. :(

As for those who are celebrating its death, I find it very sad that such spiteful people call themselves "fans". Some of us enjoyed it, and celebrating other people's unhappiness is just not cool IMO.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:54 pm

Regardless of what I thought of its chances for a second season or my uncertainty and questioning of GST being in charge or my dislike of certain choices that were made I wasn't here constantly bitching and counting down the days in eager anticipation of bad news. Especially its potential cancellation, unlike some here who were doing it before the first episode even aired. Who's to blame is irrelevant at this point, as a fan of Knight Rider I did not want another failure, one that will likely be KR's last chance. The show being sub par but lasting a couple seasons with a chance to improve is still better than it being canceled after less than one and not having that chance. The change of focus might even do that and actually improve things all around, until we actually see those episodes we won't know, but if they do this gives the show five less episodes to build on it and achieve a bigger audience.

RobWolf
Rookie

Post by RobWolf » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:04 pm

Hey you know, look at it this way. It's like Thunderbirds. Some douche decided to do a big movie remake, everyone was worried how it would affect the reputation of the original.
The movie died on its arse, it's abot £3 on DVD, everyone's forogtten about it now and are raving about the original series coming out on Blu Ray, plus Gerry Anderson HIMSELF is going to do a PROPER REMAKE.

Bottom line, old Knight Rider will still be revered, this will go down as another failed attempt to bring it back, failed mainly due to bad writing, the wrong car, stupid transformations, too many cast, bad decisions on NBC's part, and of course the ever annoying RC3 Twins. And now the way is clear for Glen Larson and Sir Hoff to show everyone how it should be done.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:10 pm

Yeah, except for the fact that Hasselhoff has NOTHING to do with Glen Larson's film. If you actually think this is going to prompt the suits at TWC or anyone to risk putting money into a movie that's going to probably cost upwards of 100M+ if this show officially is canceled, you're either smoking some powerful stuff or an idiot to think that they're still going to take the risk, no matter how good Larson's script might be. A canceled show that doesn't make it out of the first season hurts the future of Knight Rider as a whole, but seems like a lot of you don't get that.

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:11 pm

You know, I'm really starting to get tired of all the people who come on here claiming that the only way to save the show is to bring David Hasselhoff on board. I was never a big fan of his the first time around, and frankly, I'm not chomping at the bit to see him come on here now.