Knight Rider Season Reduced - from 22 to 17

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

MikeBKnight
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Knight Rider Season Reduced - from 22 to 17

Post by MikeBKnight » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:16 pm

DriverRay wrote:WE NEED TO STOP THE ENDING OF THE SHOW FROM HAPPENING.
WE NEED TO BAND TOGETHER AND SAVE THE SHOW.
WILL YOU ALL HELP?

Wait, let me think . . . . no.

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:30 pm

Even TKR got 22.... damn...

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:47 pm

Well it's not unusual for companies to completely stop production around this time of year. Hopefully come January KR will be doing well enough in the ratings that NBC will want more. My only worry is that NBC isn't going to put as much into advertising this time around as they should. I'm with you DriverRay us fans need to get behind the reboot more than ever. Having such a large and established fan base has probably been a factor in NBC's decisions to keep KR and let shows like MOWE go.
That and the the constant threat of getting piles and piles of crayons in the mail from me. :mrgreen:
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:50 pm

can they even do that once they extend it to a Full Season order without having some sort of extenuating circumstances?
They can do whatever they please! They're the ones footing the bill.

I didn't hate the show, but it couldn't hold a candle to TOS. It's a shame because they really did a number to this show, and it really did have alot of unreached potential. But they waited too long to make the necessary changes, assuming they made the right changes anyhow. I never thought it would get a full season let alone season 2.
It IS too bad, though, because stupid 'sex' scenes aside,it wasn't that bad.

The kid playing Michael Knight is a likeable fellow.

RobWolf
Rookie

Post by RobWolf » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:53 pm

pheonix_knight wrote:Even TKR got 22.... damn...
The difference being, TKR was actually good.

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:57 pm

RobWolf wrote:TKR was actually good.

You have got to be kidding.

RobWolf
Rookie

Post by RobWolf » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:02 pm

Do I sound like I'm joking?

I loved that show, it was no TOS but it was fun, it was humourous, there was not one talking vehicle but FIVE, there was the car that fancied one of the drivers (GENIUS), two lovely ladies, one of whom was Asian and, get this, NOT ANNOYING (can you hear me all the way back there in the KITT Cave, Zoe?) and can you imagine if that clffhanger had been resolved? Oh man!

Happy days!

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:11 pm

You know what? I'm tired of waiting for what is going to happen here. I would much rather that if NBC was going to cancel the show, that they'd just do it and get it over with!! I feel there is no intention of giving it a 2nd season, and that there never was, so if NBC made it official, at least we'd KNOW.

Instead of getting aggravated over it.

...........And maybe even that way, we could get a series finale, unlike TOSv4, with Voo Doo Knight.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:13 pm

RobWolf - I think your entire argument just went out the window with that confession.

The fact of the matter here folks is that this doesn't have to be the end of the world. Sure, I feel pretty helpless cause I don't have a Nielson's box, so part of me doesn't know what to do.

I know we have eight episodes that will hopefully increase viewership and get better story wise. The signs we have seen prove that there is a good chance of this happening.

In some ways we are in a better position than Jericho (found out it was canceled after the season ended) or Pushing Daises (told it was officially canceled) before we need to figure out what random item of support we need to send to NBC. The crew behind KR has 8 episodes to win people over, I just hope NBC does that.

We have two months to do something, just not sure what yet.

Neil

RobWolf
Rookie

Post by RobWolf » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:21 pm

neps wrote:RobWolf - I think your entire argument just went out the window with that confession.
Err....no. They are two seperate shows. My opinion of one has no bearing on the other. I knew someone would try that one (typical and expected snap retort from an unobjective fan)....but no, it doesn't work. So what if I liked TKR? It doesn't in any way affect my dislike for New Knight Rider, or the validity of my arguments against KR08. Big whoop, I enjoyed TKR. Again, going back to an earlier point, that does not make my views null and void. TKR was fun, and it didn't take itself seriously. The new show is taking iteself too seriously, and it is trying to be fun and ending up just being excrutiatingly tedious.

RobWolf
Rookie

Post by RobWolf » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:23 pm

neps wrote: We have two months to do something, just not sure what yet.
My advice, not that any of you are going to heed it:

Do the dignified thing, admit the show is flawed, admit that it is doomed, and let it die a relatively dignified death. No letter-writing campaigns or anything like that, Just let it go and move on (and dust off your TOS box-sets)

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:29 pm

No one isn't saying the show is flawed - however, they have already changed direction of the show and we will see that very soon. I'm not ready or willing to stick a fork in this show until I see that.

RobWolf
Rookie

Post by RobWolf » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:42 pm

When the show IS cancelled, does that mean we can have KI3T removed from the frontpage and site headers and just have KITT again? I mean, none of the other failed sequels' vehicles have equal billing, so why should KI3T once the series is off the air? I think it should be put to a vote, at least....

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:29 pm

I too am depressed that the new show is down 5 episodes from what would have been a pretty full season but it's better than finding out it got canceled. However, I have enjoyed watching this new series, despite its initial flaws and I'm more than willing to give it a second go-round when new episodes start airing again. I only hope that the new direction the show takes irons out some of the rough spots and gives the show the polish it needs to succeed to make it to a second season. I think the show has a lot of potential, it just needs time to find its footing.
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

ghidorah15
Rookie

Post by ghidorah15 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:32 pm

KFCreator wrote:I too am depressed that the new show is down 5 episodes from what would have been a pretty full season but it's better than finding out it got canceled. However, I have enjoyed watching this new series, despite its initial flaws and I'm more than willing to give it a second go-round when new episodes start airing again. I only hope that the new direction the show takes irons out some of the rough spots and gives the show the polish it needs to succeed to make it to a second season. I think the show has a lot of potential, it just needs time to find its footing.
Well said. As long as Knight Rider still has viewers like you, there is hope. :)

Renegade94
Recruit

Post by Renegade94 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:37 pm

RobWolf wrote:When the show IS cancelled, does that mean we can have KI3T removed from the frontpage and site headers and just have KITT again? I mean, none of the other failed sequels' vehicles have equal billing, so why should KI3T once the series is off the air? I think it should be put to a vote, at least....
I must say after hearing the news today I was not very happy, but that still does not mean that this show is dead by no means and until NBC gives us the word after the season finale, I still am holding out hope that we will see a season 2! I am also not the type of poster that bashes anyone as they are entitled to their own opinion of the new show, but I just have to say to Rob, dude you have been the one of the most negative, if not the most negative person about this show from day one. Fist of all, they did not choose the wrong car for the show, and while I am not a big fan of the Transformation feature, the car looks awesome and no matter what happens, the KI3T has earned it's place alongside the KI2T in not only my eyes, but plenty of others as well. I know that when they chose the Mustang, there were plenty of people bashing the choice, mostly Mustang Haters, and Rob I put you in that category for sure. The car is not the reason this show has had it's problems, the writing team, and to big of a cast has really hurt. I for one still really love this show and I am hoping for the best as are the rest of the true loyal Knight Rider fans, just because KITT is not a 1982 T/A any more and now is a Mustang, that is no reason for any one to turn their back on this show. The re-boot is really needed to take this show back to it's roots a little bit, but I do not see this show as a complete failure. We all just need to band together and try to back GST and NBC before we lose our all time favorite show again, and there just may be no next time...

Save Knight Rider :good:
"KITT keep your eyes peeled" Michael
"Michael I do not have eyes" KITT
"Figure of speech KITT" Michael
From Knight In Shining Armor

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:39 pm

I am deeply saddened and angry over this news especially since the last episode will be airing only 2 days before my birthday... :(

I agree with DriverRay. We need to do something to show our support.
That is a computer not a sofa.......Knight of the Drones

A firsthand viewer of Knight Rider '08!
And I LOVED it!

Charlie Brown
Recruit

Post by Charlie Brown » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:53 pm

I think/hope you guys are jumping the gun. Aren't we forgetting something?

Ford, who is KR's financial backbone (no, NBC is not, or we'd be seeing peacocks all over the SSC) is in financial trouble right now. I'd like to think that they need to cut funding somewhere to stay afloat, and sponsorships sure sounds like a good place to do that.

So Season One's episode count is now 17. The cast and crew are currently filming episode 17. If NBC said that KR is done, they would've just canceled it outright, not "reduced the episode count." Right? Who cares whether a dead show gets resolution at the end of the season? NBC gave the KR staff a chance to wrap things up, either for this season, or for forever. I think that's network confidence in the show.

djshag69
Operative

Post by djshag69 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:55 pm

I am in such a bad mood after hearing about this. I keep sitting here hoping something happens, i hope that everyone who turned away from the show can give it another chance, i wonder why nbc wont put as many knight rider commercials on the air as they did my own worst enemy. I've tried to be positive about this show but is it to much to ask for a strong action sequence to end a show, there is so much potential here and i feel like we are stuck in 2nd gear.

i hope we all come together and somehow someway pull out a 2nd season.
Ice rider coming 2009

bige12
Rookie

Post by bige12 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:08 pm

I think the reason why they reduced the season is because they are running out of money to film since you know if they do have to travel to a real destiation it cost money to travel, and build stage sets also cost money.

Don't worry I think Knight Rder the Series will get a second season, I would call Feb. 25, 2009 a Season Finale not a series finale.

Gary Scott Thompson also dose very well doing season finales there is always a clif-hanger at the end, for example the last episode of Las Vegas - that was a clif hanger - I still wondering what happened with Delinda & Danny from the last episode of last episode of Las Vegas. It was a pretty good season finale.

Do not forget starting with episode 10 the show got reworked or rebooted a little bit since couple actors last there job.

Just think about they show the pilot on in Febuary this years, they probally just want to ive the actors a nice long break before the start filming season 2.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
For Example here i another show that I watch called Family Guy
when it first start Season 1 only had 7 episodes then season 2 had 21 episodes and plus this show was canceled two times buy fox, then fox saw the DVD sales then they are like uh-oh we made a mistake so the show has been on for a while now
# 1.1 Season 1: 1999
# 1.2 Season 2: 1999-2000

# 1.3 Season 3: 2001-2003

# 1.4 Season 4: 2005-2006
# 1.5 Season 5: 2006-2007
# 1.6 Season 6: 2007-2008
# 1.7 Season 7: 2008-2009
______________________________________________________________________________________

I would doubt NBC would not cancel GST show since he is a excellent producer that is my opion untill afte couple season of the show

K.R.O
Volunteer

Post by K.R.O » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:15 pm

Please tell me this IS'NT happening :(
Prepare to neutralize

bige12
Rookie

Post by bige12 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:16 pm

If NBC dose order a full 2nd season ( I think they will) I think they will actually add the last 5 episodes to the the list of the full 2nd season that would make season 2 a 27 episode season, it could happen.

And here is a example of family guy again season 4 was 27 episodes if you do not count the Stewie Griffin PresentL the Untold Story, but if you count that in season 4 that would make season 4, 30 episodes.

bige12
Rookie

Post by bige12 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:21 pm

Ford need all of the adversting it can get since you know since it is one of the big 3 automakes that might go bankrupt so I hope NBC will not cancel Knight Rider, since Ford needs all the help it can get.

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:23 pm

Listen, I'm no television analyst or anything, BUT, isn't it worse that NBC would 'renew' a show for a full season, then retract that 'renewal' because ratings were so horrific, than if the show was just canceled ? I mean think about it, it's like they realized their mistake suddenly, "Oh no, What have we done?"

And, by the way, I am NOT knocking the show, it is just how I am perceiving this whole thing.
Does this make any sense?

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:25 pm

You know, bige12 brings up a good point that immediately sprung to my mind when i first saw the news about the episode count but neglected to mention in my last post: Ford, being one of the "Big 3" automakers, is in some financial trouble. To think that this wouldn't have any effect on the series is almost certainly a mistake. While Ford has said that it looks to fare better than GM or Chrysler with the money reserves it has currently, it is still in quite a pinch right now and is still asking for bailout money from the Feds. Couple that with the downward-spiraling economic conditions that even the likes of Hollywood Studios can't ignore and it really isn't a wonder that Knight Rider is getting trimmed a few episodes.

I agree that this doesn't necessarily spell doom for the series. NBC could have simply outright canceled the series at this point rather than trimming it down a few episodes but they didn't. Whether that's because they want to wait to see if the retooling helps ratings improve or whether it's because they're feeling the pinch from Ford and the economy, we don't know at this point. But my guess is, NBC and Ford still have high hopes for the series and I'm sure they're gunning for a second season as much as the fans who support the series are.
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff