Nielsons for Knight of the Zodiac

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Nielsons for Knight of the Zodiac

Post by neps » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:14 am

Early numbers are starting to come in. We're still not back to what we were pre Obama. We were 2nd to last for the night above Pushing Daisies and behind America's Next Top Model (which had it's finale last night)

3.4/5 (which is slightly higher than last weeks 3.3/5)

from http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... /569105471" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
First in the 8 p.m. hour was Fox’s always reliable Bones, with a 6.9 rating/11 share in the overnights. As a reminder, Bones will be moving to Thursday at 8 p.m. (into returning Hell’s Kitchen) in first quarter 2009. Next were CBS sitcoms The New Adventures of Old Christine and Gary Unmarried, each with a respectable 5.1/ 8, followed by the aforementioned season-finale of America’s Next Top Model on the CW (3.7/ 6), NBC’s failing Knight Rider (3.4/ 5), and ABC’s waiting-to-be axed Pushing Daisies (series-low 3.4/ 6). From a ratings perspective, this was not the best season for Top Model. But versus one week earlier, both The New Adventures of Old Christine and Gary Unmarried were each up by 16 percent (5.1 vs. 4.4/ 7).
Remember: This is the early overnights and these numbers are expected to shift by EOD.

Amir
Operative

Re: Nielsons for Knight of the Zodiac

Post by Amir » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:27 am

Well, at least it hasn't gone down - which would not have surprised me following last weeks episode. But it looks like it will take something really exciting to push it back up again.

Shame, I was looking forward to clapping my hands and saying 'We have movement!'.

knightny
Rookie

Post by knightny » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:59 am

Amir wrote:Shame, I was looking forward to clapping my hands and saying 'We have movement!'.
HAHA! :good:

djshag69
Operative

Post by djshag69 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:21 am

and now we dont have any new shows till dec 31st? no knight rider one week almost killed the show, so now they are going to cut it for a month and a half? and then when it finally does come back, its on new years eve?

i am just really confused how the whole thought process works.
Ice rider coming 2009

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:39 am

i figure 'Knight Fever' is a really bad episode! they pushed it back several time and now they show it on new years eve, where not many people will be watching, so the episode can't do much damage to the show.

i really can't wait for the episodes after it though, i have high hopes for the new direction of the show!

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:42 pm

I really hope that NBC does the smart thing and replays the season so far after the Rosie special next week. And why in the hell couldn't they have put the Rosie special the next week and allow Knight Fever to at least finish out the month. It wouldn't made more sense both ways, air it after all the other ones and give Rosie's Christmas a December date. They're gonna need a HUGE push when it comes back in Jan or we won't get another season. I hope they follow through on their football promise. They'll need a couple Superbowl spots with previews of the new shows and promising something HUGE or we're done.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:53 pm

So it turns out the total viewers was 5.12m which is slightly less than last week (5.34m). The larger share probably has to do with less people as a whole watching tv this week compared to last.
Attachments
Picture 5.png
Picture 5.png (32.32 KiB) Viewed 16151 times

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:02 pm

Looking at TVByTheNumbers, total viewership for this episode was down by about 220,000, still good enough for third place among total number of viewers but looking at the 18-49 and 18-34 demographics it was pretty much dead last though tied with The New Adventures of Old Christine for last in the 18-34 range and it had a bigger share.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

knightny
Rookie

Post by knightny » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:18 pm

Friggin Obama....he didnt even need to be on tv that week, he was going to win anyway

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:18 pm

While it still remained quite stable, the number of viewers is still quite sad, hope it can go back to 7 million viewers soon. Just for a comparison, does anyone know how many viewers we got for the February pilot?
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:30 pm

Argh! I should have refreshed before posting, you beat me Neil! :lol:

EDIT: Should have refreshed again, heh oh well..

I think the pilot had somewhere between 10-12 million viewers for the premiere.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

EdwardKnoxII
Operative

Post by EdwardKnoxII » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:48 pm

I think it was smart that they don't air KR next week. I mean it's the day before Thanksgiving when people are going to be to busy traveling, cooking, being with family, etc to watch TV. So you knew the rating would have been really down.

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:16 pm

Quick question: do the Nielsen ratings take into account all of the other ways in which people may view this episode? For instance, you can watch it through iTunes, Hulu or you could Tivo the show or record it on a VCR to watch later. How does that affect the overnight ratings?
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:22 pm

I'm still skeptical to go either way (cheering or cursing) with these ratings. They've been fluctuating to more or less the same levels. I don't expect Knight Fever to do any good, considering when it's airing, if nothing else.

Ironically, the huge winter break is what KR might need for this "retool". It'll give time for casual TV viewers to get the bad taste off their mouths and time for NBC to pick up their promotional slack and do the show some justice. If the post January episodes deal with these numbers (always keeping in mind what the competition does, of course), then I'll start worrying.

Shredder565
Recruit

Post by Shredder565 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:55 pm

You know what I would like to see? A new Intro, and a new theme song for the 'reboot.'.

I picture it starting off with one long tracking shot in the desert.

Old Kitt drives toward camera with the Hoff at the wheel, side shot of old KITT with the Hoff driving, wiping to new KITT with the new Michael Knight behind the wheel.... trying to mimic the original intro as much as possible while still showing off of all of KI3TT's best action scenes and features....

As for the theme song, I think it's great up until about half way through where it totally deviates from the classic theme into something that sounds more like it could belong on an episode of Baywatch or something...... Stick with all the classic notes if you want to brand it as a Knight Rider show..

But one has to wonder. Do people really have that short an attention span these days thanks to DVR's? Obama interrupts it one week and people forget about it the next?

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:02 pm

Yes, that sort of thing has happened to many shows over the years. Especially when they're rather weak in the first place.

The relaunch is going to be quite important and now with no My Own Worst Enemy NBC should be advertising the hell out of it similarly to what they're going to do with Chuck. Though it goes without saying, Chuck has been a lot better and they need to get more people to just see how good it is. Knight Rider, they need to show people that it will be better than what the previous nine episodes gave and that these changes are going to make it what it should have been in the first place.

knightny
Rookie

Post by knightny » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:58 pm

But one has to wonder. Do people really have that short an attention span these days thanks to DVR's? Obama interrupts it one week and people forget about it the next?
Yes they do. Especially some people who saw the Obama infomercial and were dumb enough to think the show had been cancelled and did not realize it would be back on the following week.

Ontario Knight
Operative

Post by Ontario Knight » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:34 pm

I think that there are some things that we need to remember and one of the most important things that we seem to forget is that Knight Rider has been pulling in 5.2 million viewers the last three weeks however the one thing that I think will save this series is the revenue that Ford is putting into this show. Unlike other shows its sponsership is what drives the continuation and not entirely the viewership..Now I know what you will say "yes viewership matters" and it does, its just that Knight Rider has an ace up its sleave and that is the Ford Motor Company..As a director in a business I feel that with the many ways to view shows like Tivo and Itunes etc sponsorship plays an important role, and as long as Ben Silverman has revenue coming in and Knight Rider is profitable and has steady viewership then the series will continue. NBC viewership is not great anyways and if you took just viewership as an indicator then Deal or no Deal would be cancelled. Well that series has sponsorship behond it and why isn't that cancelled, ask yourself that question. So for the series I am looking forward to the "reboot" however still get the Knight Rider basics back into play..

-More about Michael and KITT and there relationship
-More about FLAG and get that back into play
-More stunts, if you have to get GT Mustangs and dress them up as GT500's then GOD DAMN DO IT!!! Ford you make 80'000 copies of the car its not a collectors item don't wreck GT500's just wreck a few GT''s and make some stunt cars up
-Get rid of attack mode completely

BTW: If you are reading these GST get Caroll Shelby to come on the show before he passes that I would love to see as Ford is making you promote the GT500KR then bring its creator to TV...

Lastly but most importantly: The Detroit Auto Show is coming soon, have Knight Rider as your advertisement for the Mustang and the GT500KR make it fun and you will get plenty bang for the buck if that promoting is done....

Maybe I should ask for a job with NBC and promoting this series...that would be fun.... :kitt:

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:50 pm

its not obamas commercial that caused knight riders demise, its because the show is horrible that the ratings are down. hopefully they will do the right thing with the reboot otherwise this show is done!!!!
in glen larson we trust.

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:38 am

^^ Do you ever come in here to do anything, but bash the show? If the quality of the show was that big of an issue in the ratings so far, last week's episode would've kicked of less -not more- viewers for this week. There are dozens of reasons that make ratings what they are and quality is rarely one of them, as my very good, very classy friend "Firefly" will tell you.

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit

Post by DevonStyles » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:56 am

Sorry guys but if you can't accept the fact that this show is not that good then that's part of your problem there. Just because the show it titled Knight Rider does not give it a golden pass in my book.

I've come to realise that this series is no where as good as the original.
I've come to realise that this series is no where as good as even the pilot. (much more action in the pilot)
Is anyone else realising that Kitt is like the number 3 co-star in the show?
This show is supposed to be for males 18-34? We get no guy/car stuff... No motor talk, No cool burnouts, not much of anything that guys I know would be like that kicks ass!!!
Lame green screen stunts
Lame green screen action stunts
This show is not realistic in any sense of the word.
:kitt:

I do like the T and A
I get a good laugh out of some of the things on there.

Also I don't expect Ford to keep throwing money into the series either. Espically since they are on the verge of bankruptcy and this show is not making me say, Hey I need to go buy a mustang.

(Ohh I forgot my car can run with a new mustang any day of the week.) :twisted:
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:07 am

Sorry guys but if you can't accept the fact that this show is not that good
Not that good? The show's awful. But the argument that the quality of a show is directly proportional to the ratings it gathers is vastly untrue.