The ONE Thing Missing from KR08 and KI3T...

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KarlKnightRider
Recruit

The ONE Thing Missing from KR08 and KI3T...

Post by KarlKnightRider » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:29 pm

above anything else for me, is KITT springing into action. By this I mean, actually seeing KITT starting up and driving by himself. The Feb Pilot addressed this really well, and you really got the sense of KITT driving, especially when Sarah was in the passenger seat and the car was actually driving along the roads 'by itself'.

The only time so far in the series where I have felt this has been repeated has been when Mike was standing on the bonnet of KITT in Knight Of The Hunter. Most of the time, whenever you see KITT on the move, its with green screen backgrounds, they need to start filming more of the Mustang actually driving along the roads.

Another addition to help this illusion would be to show a start-up sequence like from TOS. The moment from the original 82 pilot, when KITT decides to rescue Michael from Jail when all his lights come on, he starts up and crashes through the doors is a fantastic sequence. Little things, which could be recorded as stock footage could be just showing KITTs accelorator move itself, his gear shift as well as some actual movement from the steering wheel as opposed to it just rocking left and right as we've seen so far.

That said, I don't want this to appear to be a moaning topic. I am a HUGE fan of the new show, and personally, I hope this continues on for as many seasons as possible, never mind just 1 or 2. Its just I know people working on the show read this board and would like to get my point across, especially as its something I'm sure a lot of people will agree with about the new KITT.

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Re: The ONE Thing Missing from KR08 and KI3T...

Post by taoworm2323 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:48 pm

Amen to that brother :good:
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:55 pm

I agree too... They used basically the same start up sequence every time and only really updated it when KITT was updated. Unfortunately with the lack of any kind of actual interior work done on the car I doubt we'll be seeing that, unless it's done with the HUD. I guess they could do a basic version of it with the Mustang and it might work, but it won't be as cool

Another thing, I still wonder what happened to the remote control thing they used in the TV movie/backdoor pilot. Now whenever KITT is supposedly driving either by himself or well anyone is driving during the "action" scenes the windows are just tinted so we can't see inside. With the usual green screened interior shots.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:14 am

Yep...I think KI3T should do a lot more driving by himself! :D But I think we should have 2 or 3 versions of stock footage because people now can record things and they'll end up noticing that.Plus using only one kind of stock footage will get annoying after a while.

And I think they still have the r/c KI3T.I guess they use it only for certain things.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

knightnx
Recruit

Post by knightnx » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:09 am

i totally agree with you guys.
i miss the sense of kitt coming to mikes aid, starting up and driving by himself,
most of all i miss the real jumps and the crashes.

i know the mustang is expensive but this is Knight Rider,

KarlKnightRider
Recruit

Post by KarlKnightRider » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:35 am

TOS would also feature so many little moments in every episode where perhaps Michael was just around the corner, but he'd say "KITT pick me up buddy" and KITT would say "on my way!" and off he'd go. Perhaps only 15secs of actual episode footage, but its that kind of footage and inclusion that would make an incredibly huge differece, than Mike just running round to what then just looks like a normal mustang with a clever talking computer on board.

Gonzaloa
Rookie

Post by Gonzaloa » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:47 am

I totally agree. I wanted to post about this for some time but I never did.
Watching the last week episode, where KI3T drive himself to cover the bomb, it was showed from really weird angles, just the used when you don't have a car who drives itself.

Another thing I always note is that Mike need to open the car's doors, KI3T never does for him, like KITT use to do in the original show. And I guess in the las episode Mike and Sarah had to unlock the doors and close the windows by themselves.

KarlKnightRider
Recruit

Post by KarlKnightRider » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:24 am

Good call! I totally forgot about the doors, and this is another thing that was done from the Feb Pilot. When KITT roared in to save Sarah and opened his door for her, and you can clearly see there is no driver... pure Knight Rider.

These small details are where it counts! Especially when KITT is still looking like a stock mustang based on interior appearance, they could at least try and still make the car feel special.

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:32 am

Gonzaloa wrote: Another thing I always note is that Mike need to open the car's doors, KI3T never does for him, like KITT use to do in the original show.
There were times in the original that Kichael had to open the doors himself.
One that stands-out for is in Trust Doesnt Rust, after KARR breaks out in the begining and Michael is running back to KI2T with the security guard on his shoulder and Michael opens the door by himself.
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

EdwardKnoxII
Operative

Post by EdwardKnoxII » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:28 pm

Faithful Car KRO wrote:
Gonzaloa wrote: Another thing I always note is that Mike need to open the car's doors, KI3T never does for him, like KITT use to do in the original show.
One that stands-out for is in Trust Doesnt Rust, after KARR breaks out in the begining and Michael is running back to KI2T with the security guard on his shoulder and Michael opens the door by himself.
Well to be fair to Kitt he might have been in shock seeing another car that was like him. :lol:

_K3000_
Operative

Post by _K3000_ » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:47 pm

EdwardKnoxII wrote:
Faithful Car KRO wrote:
Well to be fair to Kitt he might have been in shock seeing another car that was like him. :lol:
True That :good:
"We Can Make A Difference" Help Support The Show

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:09 pm

Gonzaloa wrote:Another thing I always note is that Mike need to open the car's doors, KI3T never does for him, like KITT use to do in the original show. And I guess in the las episode Mike and Sarah had to unlock the doors and close the windows by themselves.
You know, the same thing happened down at Comic Con. "It makes me look like I'm waving.", if I recall the comment, correctly.

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:31 pm

the doors on the 'attack Kitt' look quite flimsy IMHO

do they still have the 'remote kitt'??? as i recall, THAT version had remote doors but only looked like the standard car...

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:38 pm

i don't think the remote car is still around.
at least it wasn't used since the pilot yet. instead we got those shaby green screen footage

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:00 pm

Kaine wrote:i don't think the remote car is still around.
at least it wasn't used since the pilot yet. instead we got those shaby green screen footage
Remember they had an auction for the KI3T cars after the pilot?They used three cars for the pilot.The Attack KI3T and Hero KI3T was auctioned off.The R/C KI3T was never auctioned off.I guess it's sitting in some backlot somewhere,or it's used for something else.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:10 pm

Probably, but dammit they need to bring it back... If just so we don't have to see the even more blatant than the original series way KITT is "driving".
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Stealthwalker
Operative

Post by Stealthwalker » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:52 pm

Yes, I totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stealthwalker aka "Tha Lone Crusader"

"We Meet Again". As quoted by Garthe Knight in "Goliath & Goliath Returns"

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:04 pm

I think Remote KITT was used to cover the bomb.

Kittsdriver91
Volunteer

Post by Kittsdriver91 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:15 am

I think seeing KITT driving it self or mike drive to his aide or maybe when KITT can ejcet a person from the roof but I can agree what in the disscussion.

FordFilly82
Operative

Post by FordFilly82 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:36 am

Oh Gosh! Youare SOOOOO right!
For some reason I have been blinded to it!
I mean I know I kinda like the way they reused "stock footage" of KITT; driving on his own, going down the road, just little things that gave the car a personality.

And i don't mean just a snazzy voice. That's what made the TVPilot so good. It so totally captured what TOS was about! And how he could be brought back!
I mean yeah I know that Driving shots are expensive but I know that NBC took the time to make the "right" scenes that could be used agian and agian.
Which led to the "campy-ness" that I like so much with the orginal.
I really think that if the guys wrking on KR08 took the time to watch TOS and STUDY it, I mean really study it, though that could be part of the problem LOL, they might see what is so special about TOS.
Efficient Morphing Mobile Autonomy
KITT: There are not enough hours in the day for me to list everything that confuses you.
Mike: Oh, snap!
Kitt: Yes, Micheal. Snap.

Petition #2507

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:34 am

I agree with what everyone else said that KITT in the TV pilot seems far more capable of driving and acting by himself even though he got no gimmicks such as Turbo Boost etc but that crash scene with the SUV was a damn good one if I may say so.

If they're going to reboot it, no need to look further, just go back to the February pilot. Give Mike the traditional leather jacket (it looks good on him), dress Sarah casually (it fits better with her) and have KITT drive himself more. The only bad thing about February pilot IMO was Carrie Rivai, so with her gone, maybe the show will work. At the very least, I believe so. Seeing Mike dressing casually in these episodes was *blah*, let him wear his father's leather jacket please! I look at the promo poster for the TV pilot and everything seems just right. From Mike's hairstyle (I like that scruffy hair better than his currently spiky hairstyle) to his leather jacket and his style (he even wears a watch there) everything seemed so perfect...

Here's the wallpaper I'm talking about if you want to see it:
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee25 ... 0x1024.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Give Mike THAT look and I'll be a happy camper.
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

steventje
Volunteer

Post by steventje » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:19 am

Absolutely the driving !
Is it not hot anymore to drive a car in real life? Maybe people are used to see CGI and blue, green screens? Especially the younger public because they are used to CGI in the games they play so they don't bother?
If I may say so, I think the producers should call it Knight Rider KID or Young Knight Rider.
I think the producers want to attract a younger public and if I see the episodes I must agree with them.
Here are some examples:
1. The Billy Zoe relationship (do we really like this as adults??)
2. The driving (CGI,...)
3. Mike's behaviour. He is not a man who believes in his cause, does not take responsiblity, not mature enough
Compare it with David Hasselhof and you will see what I mean. David believed in his cause even if Devon decided the case was closed. Michael wanted to get
down to the bottom of a case.
It is actually the immaturity of Mike that disturbs me.

The only exception is KITT. I like him and the last few episodes he is getting better and better, more human.