Live Discussion Thread: I Wanna Rock & Roll All Knight

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Xebec
Volunteer

Re: Live Discussion Thread: I Wanna Rock & Roll All Knight

Post by Xebec » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:50 am

First, some general opinions, then I'll comment on the episode...

While I think Sarah is a good addition, I agree that she should't compete with Kitt as Michael's primary partner.

I can put up with the transform mode, but they sure seem to do it at the silliest times and don't do it when it would make sense. And, I certainly don't get why he needs to be in Attack mode to go fast.

For as fast as Kitt is supposed to be able to go, he sure has a hard time catching up to cars he's chasing.

I'm for less soap opera and more Kitt/Michael action.

Graimon (sp?) should stay. The FBI girl and the "boss" should go. And Billy and Zoe should go.

For the re-tool, here's what I think would fly the best (think Airwolf)...

Michael figures out "who he works for". He confronts Graimon. Graimon confides in him and agrees to help. They destroy all of the computer files relating to Kitt's data and specs as well as the mission room (after swiping key technology). They take Kitt to a special undergound hideout that Graimon had been saving for an emergency. Michael and team rethink their mission goals and decide they are going to fight government corruption and other oppressiveness.

Maybe Mike confronts the boss guy and wins. Boss guy admits he was wrong. Agrees to not pursue Team Kitt, and agrees to be the "inside guy" to feed them intell to help them in their fight.

In the hideout, Sarah asks how they're going to be able to afford to keep Kitt and the operation running. Graimon takes them to a room full of gold, jewels, and other valuables. He also tells them he has several off-shore bank accounts to keep them running indefinitely.

Now we're back to our roots

This has gotten long. I'll post my episode comments, separately.

scottab21
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by scottab21 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:52 am

Sue wrote:This one is a pretty close tie with Iguana for the worst episode for me. It was very slow paced the whole way through and like Iguana way to immature. I mean I like the sexual tension but not grade school sexual tension. Mulder and Scully kept that kinda thing going for years and it worked great but they didn't have Zoe and Billy giggling and giving commentary on it. Ah well I had a feeling I wasn't gonna like this one from the commercial. I wonder if this kinda thing sells well in the demographic they are looking for.
At least there are some I like and some I don't it keeps me tuning in. You can't win them all.
I have to agree with you Sue. Certainly not my favorite, in fact, probably the worst one yet. Although, it did have a couple of kool scenes in there like when KITT ran over the bomb like the TOS, and also liked the shooting out the tires in tandem with Mike and KITT working together. Also, what with all these little clues the bad guys are always telling Mike, "you don't know who you working for, do you?" Certainly leading up a big confrontation at the SSC. I hoping that we, as fans, will get some sort of explanation as to reference TOS mythology. We do know that episode 13 will have something important in it. Oh well, here's looking to next week's episode in Vegas baby! (where it all started for Michael Long...) 8)

:kitt: :karr:

Xebec
Volunteer

Post by Xebec » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:13 am

I still like KR and will likely watch it until it's canceled. But, here's what was wrong with tonight's episode...

**** SPOILERS ****

Too much about Billy and Zoe.

The love angle between Michael and Sarah is too blunt. They're supposed to make us wonder if it will ever happen. Tease us.

Enough with the voyeurism! At minimum, Kitt should indicate when they are being observed and when their conversations are secure.

Silly excuse to kiss, just because a cop is looking at them. Nothing illegal about sitting in a car for a few minutes.

When they first confronted bonnie and clyde, they had plenty of opportunity to shoot out a leg or something. There was no way Michael should have allowed himself to be shot. His training should have kept him out of danger.

And where was Kitt? He should have come zipping around to block their escape. In fact, he should have been searching for the car while Michael and Sarah were searching the factory. Good grief, later in the episode, he was able to identify cars in a 100 mile radius based on their OIL! He couldn't scan the cars or use satellite imaging? They had an image of the car, I think, from earlier videos.

The second time they confronted Bonnie and Clyde -- again, where was Kitt? Should be SOP to block the getaway car.

Now the biggest problem. Why in the world did they bring the girl to the command center??? Ridiculous! They knew there was a warrant for her arrest, and even without it, she should have been taken directly to a Fed detention center. Just having her SEE the place was a stupid security risk. But, then they let her spend time away from supervision? They already knew she was an accomplished hacker (even if they assumed it was the other guy, why take chances?). And, she managed to do all this hacking in just a couple of minutes without her dad even knowing she was doing anything -- including transferring the files to his cell phone? Come on.

And, then they say the mission is over because they have the daughter back? Do they think the other guy will just stop blowing stuff up, now? Wasn't that the mission to begin with? How come no one cares about him, now? Stupid!

And, on a minor note, the green screen effects while driving Kitt were really quite bad.

I feel better, now.

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:41 am

So that's it. Let's skip episodes 8 and 9 for now and go right into the 10-11 two parter, get rid of the three cast member and start the rebooted Knight Rider as soon as possible. It couldn't hurt more, could it?
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

chumlee
Volunteer

Post by chumlee » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:28 am

I am new to this site just joined up today. I am a huge fan of the old Knight Rider episodes. I think I have seen them all only missing a couple and the ones at the very end. However I have bought the series and I am waiting for them to arrive any day now since I’m never home to watch it when it’s on TV now a days.

As for today’s episode, a spoiled brat and her boyfriend wanted to expose the corporation ruining the lives of good people who are trying help others. First of all I can’t stand spoiled brats who wana use people to get their way. I think her dad should have let her go to prison with her boyfriend. Especially since she showed him how much she didn’t care about his efforts to help her get out of trouble. Secondly, the episode was good, however I happen to think the old Michael Knight and Kitt were a lot more tough, resourceful, and smart. They had to be because the new Kitt and Michael have all this technology to rely on like satellite tracking, infrared tracking etc. The old Michael and Kitt had to rely on there wits more than anything else. However it will be interesting to see how long this show will last and if it can outlast the original. I also notice they are using a lot of the same titles just adding a word or two to change it.

As for Karr, I think its gona be a lot cheesier than what we expect. I hear there talking about making it a robot instead of a car. Knowing them it will be something like a transformer lol. Actually that would be kind of cool. I would also like to see some episodes with mike and his dad doing some stuff together. Where he can learn from his dad and also learn that he needs to be a lot less cocky and reckless. Notice the first couple missions didn’t go off to well. Yes they were a success but he could have messed things up big time by always hitting on women instead of keeping his mind on the job like in the first episode. If he was paying attention they could have gotten the target the first time instead of later.

Well that it for now hope to hear some replies on this and write some more in the future

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:02 am

Is it just me, or did anyone else think the shower room scene was somewhat pointless ... ?

chumlee
Volunteer

Post by chumlee » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:18 am

I agree the shower scene was pointless. And I agree with everything that (Xebec) says. There were too many missed opportunities that they could have taken down the bad guys and missed. Of course that might have ended the show sooner but I’m sure they could have found a twist or two to make it even more interesting.

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:40 am

BLAH BLAH BLAH - sex is pointless

BLAH BLAH BLAH - green screen sux!

BLAHBUBLAH BLAH - I wish they'd make it BLAAAHHHHH

You guys can't just like this for what it is, can you? NBC just uploaded the latest episode online, and I finally got to watch I WANNA ROCK AND ROLL ALL KNIGHT. This was good. I really liked it. There is no need to get into details in nitpicking, because I was thoroughly entertained.

God, do any of you pick apart every show you root for? Is this like your favorite football team? Give us all a break please....log off KRO and don't come back

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:17 am

KnightINSTINCT,

You don't have any right to tell the people that analyse the different aspects of the show to leave the forum, and as such, you owe them an apology.

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Knight4life
Operative

Post by Knight4life » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:26 am

Dissappointed with the most recent episode,too much sexual tension,no gripping plot at all,green screen was horrid again (they still didn't improve those green screen issue),transformation looked very video game like.we had 3 decent/good episodes but with this episodes everything comes down.Halloween knight with no action was a pretty good episode as compared to the recent episode.I just can't understand why can't they come up with good plots and omit the things that annoy us the most.Why didn't they use the attack mode in the ending chase?The chase wasn't all that great,the BDP had a really entertaining chase.Wasn't KITT supposed to use weapons only in Attack mode?if he can use weapons in normal mode and can go pretty fast in normal mode then what was the point in having an attack mode? I believe that the normal mode should only be for non-weaponry stuff (hacking,scanning,medical,surveilance etc).

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:28 am

It was a... very mixed bag. For starters, I believe that with the character focus KITT got last time and the plot tidbits, "Knight of the Living Dead" kind of rose expectations and upped the ante. This episode, on the other hand, pulled the series back to its very early episodes, which -for a show that's supposedly progressing- is a bad thing.

I'm not going to be as critical, as I can't say I didn't generally enjoy it, but in the end, it's not the episode that would make me tune in next time, were I not a KR fan. Last week's episode, on the other hand, had me drooling over the possibilities.

Now, the bomb thing was indeed very old-school KR and certainly welcome. The action scenes in general weren't bad, all things considered and the Mike-KITT teamwork in the end was pretty sweet. On another note, props for having someone outside the SCC address the long-standing question of Mike's identity. We knew that Mike had supposedly taken up his father's name, but with everyone he knew calling him Mike, we never got the chance to hear someone call him by his name; Michael Knight. You can't say that this tiny bit in there didn't make any old-time fan feel all giggly.

On the other hand, I've said it since the freaking backdoor pilot, I'll say it again: Mike. And. Sarah. Together. Does. Not. Work. It's too much flirting getting in the way of an already too busy show. And in the end, I don't think there are many who give a rat's ass if they end up together. It's way too soon to bother, so it's distracting, instead of meaningful. I can't say I minded Billy and Zoe's duo in the episode, as it was very much within their characters' role in the show, but the romance itself just doesn't do it for me. Early on in the episode, I had to check how much time had passed since it started; I realized that seven minutes in we were still watching Mike and Sarah flirting awkwardly. That was distracting.

By the way, I'm never one to condemn the sexual tension or the nudity in the show; won't do it now either. I usually mind it in other, more serious shows, when they don't serve an actual plot point. Knight Rider made itself very clear about its direction and style, so the fight at the start, the breast shots and all that were perfectly consistent. And Breuning with Russo click for me a lot better than most other actors in such scenes, so I'm certainly not complaining about the eye-candies. Still, even I found the shower scene pretty awkward. Awkward, as in, sticks out like a very, very sore thumb- awkward. All for the sex stuff, just view it to make sure they work, really.

By the way, I don't know who's responsible for all the pictures we see in monitors and all that added post-production, but two things I've noticed and seemed pretty sloppy: there is a scene where KITT speaks, but his voice modulator claims otherwise. Noticed this kind of thing when he was a police car a few weeks back as well. And, when Mike and KITT are investigating the area of the car crash, there is one of these KITT-monitor pictures on the SCC's big screen that shows KITT right-front wheel rolling and turning, as if KITT's driving, when he's actually parked. They kind of stood out.

On a final note, why did they have to expect Rivai to move when she was on that trunk? Wouldn't a heat signature be enough to determine whether she was alive or not?

cjtahoe26
Stranger

Post by cjtahoe26 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:43 am

Does anyone know the song name and artist from the last scene when Billy and Zoe are in KITT together?

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:53 am

NeoRanger wrote: On a final note, why did they have to expect Rivai to move when she was on that trunk? Wouldn't a heat signature be enough to determine whether she was alive or not?
The biggest eye-rolling moment for me (and there were several) was when she moved in the trunk and Torres claps his hands together and exclaims, "we've got movement!" Although, I do the same thing on the john every morning...

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:07 am

Yep, Yancy Arias sure earned his paycheck last night.... :roll:
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:32 am

This episode was somewhat boring IMO. I did like the part KITT came and took care of the bomb though, very classic. As well as the scene when he uses the laser for the door lock "open sesame", I believe that was used in an episode from TOS when Mike said that to KITT. I like the ending part when Mike and KITT both shot at the same time and he states "on my command". I like the relationship between the two and how it is going so far, like partners! I think this will benefit towards the two-parter when he needs KITT the most..... Well have to wait and see. :?

However I don't understand why they don't have KITT coming to Mike's rescue more often. :evil: Like when he got shot by congressman's daughter, KITT could have easily came and taken cover for him, the KI2T would have done it in a heartbeat without Michael even asking him. Thank god they are going to make it more about a man and his car, it is the formula to Knight Rider and what makes it true to its essence. Another thing is that I feel that KITT is only allowed to do commands when Mike says too, he never does anything on his own most of the time.

Anyway, lets wait till next week because it takes place in Vegas, which is where the ENTIRE Knight Rider MYTHOLOGY BEGAN! The producers I HOPE are going to take advantage of this and not screw this up, however I have some faith because GST stated at Comic Con and other various interviews about Michael Long shot in the face and taking place at Vegas. Well See..... :roll:

Joe

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:54 am

Is it just me, or did anyone else think the shower room scene was somewhat pointless ... ?
BEYOND Pointless. That's where they overdue it, too much pointless nonsense, and fifteen minutes into the show, that's all we've seen, and nothing has happened ------>> In the way of story line. It's bad enough you gotta sit through 20 minutes of commercials, but every week they continue to waste precious story time on NONSENSE!!!!!

LeslieGruffod
Rookie

Post by LeslieGruffod » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:08 am

Mediocre.

Mediocre villains I couldn't take seriously one bit (that girl was an awful actor).

Mediocre pacing.

Mediocre action scenes.

Kudos to the shooting scene at the end with Mike and Kitt and Kitt riding over the bomb.

Nothing in this episode apart from those two little gems will ever make this one to rewatch or remember, now, or any time in the future. It will be one to skip over in re-runs. I agree it's tied with Iguana as to the worst so far.

And to think they are Axing Graiman to keep Billy and Zoe. Without Billy and Zoe, and keeping Sarah and Charles at the base as mission and tech co-ordinators, this would be classic Knight Rider.

Billy and Zoe have to elevate themselves to REAL genuine characters soon. Let's see some real emotions coming from them other than titilation and sexual tension. I can get this with any awful teen drama.

As for the bigger picture "you don't know who you are working for do you?" or words to that effect. Anyone get the feeling that the axing of these 3 characters is going to dissolve the SCC and maybe Mike and Kitt and everyone in Knight Industries has possibly been working for the wrong side? Could it be that the real foundation, michael snr and kitt show up, to show Mike Jnr and Kitt that they are/have been manipulated since day one... It would be like Knight Rider's version of Alias (with Knight Industries being SD6 and FLAG being the real CIA)...

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:12 am

Shapeshifter wrote: The biggest eye-rolling moment for me (and there were several) was when she moved in the trunk and Torres claps his hands together and exclaims, "we've got movement!"
Good God, yes, that was pretty awful. It's one of those moments that the director has to be dozing off not to yell "CUT" on top of his lungs.

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:36 am

LeslieGruffod wrote:Billy and Zoe have to elevate themselves to REAL genuine characters soon. Let's see some real emotions coming from them other than titilation and sexual tension. I can get this with any awful teen drama.
I agree. I believe following the "reboot", the 2 should serve much more important roles. Billy needs to be more of the tech while Zoe needs to act as more of a coordinator. The problem with the sexual tension between them is that - well, there isn't any. They just keep teasing each other overtly, and that's really not much fun. Sometimes tension and teasing can just be done with looks, glances, lines of dialogue to other characters etc. While I hate to cite the competition - "Bones" has done a great dance of sexual tension for three seasons now between the two leads. "X-Files" did it for years. KR can pull it off too, but right now everything tension-wise feels like it's being broadcast to us on a megaphone.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:39 am

Okay, let me get away from the negativity for a moment....

Is it just me or there's something quite different about KITT last night? Did they revamp it? I was quite sure there was none of that turbocharger or turbine thing peeking in the engine room before. If they changed it, well, good, it makes the transformation to Attack Mode more believeable since previously, the turbocharger thing on the hood seemed to have popped out of nowhere. And while not everyone may agree, I do like that KITT looks all shiny and glossy black here, even though he may need to look dirty once in while, let them do that in another episode.

Storyline wise, looks like we'll get the deal about Graiman/Torres and "who they are really working for" before episode 13 and it will likely change everything with three of the characters out of the show (either killed or gone).
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:48 pm

Shapeshifter wrote:
NeoRanger wrote: On a final note, why did they have to expect Rivai to move when she was on that trunk? Wouldn't a heat signature be enough to determine whether she was alive or not?
The biggest eye-rolling moment for me (and there were several) was when she moved in the trunk and Torres claps his hands together and exclaims, "we've got movement!" Although, I do the same thing on the john every morning...

:lol: That was certainly terrible, I think my eyes did a complete rotation with how hard I rolled them. Hmm, you haven't seem as gung-ho and positive lately.

I have to agree, the shower scene was totally pointless and there wasn't any rooting for Mike and Sarah to get together, they've already been together,just have them **** already and get over it so they can over this "tension" they're trying and miserably failing at trying to put in there between Mike/Sarah and Zoe/Billy is rather eye rolling as well, though the ending Smith Cho was looking rather cute.

I didn't hate Knight of the Iguana and I still feel like the first episode was worse, but this one is certainly in the bottom three, which KotI is in. Aside from totally missing the mark in several areas, there's just a complete lack of excitement and that's where the tension should be at, the action and I don't mean the action between Mike and Sarah or Zoe and Billy. I thought we would at least get a good car chase out of KITT and the faux Super Bee but no they just wrecked, we got it and some sedan and it really wasn't anything more than drive behind and take their tires out, shooting out the rear tires might be logical and yes it did showcase some team work between Mike and KITT so perhaps it's forgivable but damn if most everything wasn't just flat. I really think that some of the writers don't fit into the genre or are just totally inexperienced with action or inexperienced period. The Drama aspect should not only be at a minimum, Action, Adventure, with a little Fantasy (not of the mystical/magic kind) and a bit of Sci-Fi thrown into mix with only a hint of drama when needed for character development, not "will they or won't they **** each others' brains out). Maybe I'm being a bit hard on the writers since they might just be trying to find their way but this sort of thing seems like it could at least be somewhat worked out beforehand if they know who their characters are, at this point I don't think they do since they're so expendable.

I know budget and a lack of cars is an issue but one could think they could find it in the budget to dress up a few vanilla GTs and wreck the damn things, or make shells for that. Hopefully with the lightening of the budget with the departure of three actors will help in that regard. But IMO NBC screwed up in where they started taking this and it's fairly obvious that someone realized that early on, too bad they didn't before they started filming. I'm still interested in the arc that gets us to where we've kind of known where it was going from the start but I really hope the next episode is better because I have zero expectations out of Knight Fever in two weeks.

The early ratings are in and it doesn't look good, not horrible (compared to everything else on NBC) but not good at the same time. I hope this coming second revamp and placing it after a football game (I'm assuming it's either the AFC or NFC championship) is going to help and it should at least give a boost to the episode that's airing after it but hopefully they like what they see and stick around for the second part because if not and the ratings slide significant;y then I think it'll be safe to say that there won't be a second season, even if they start to get it right and there's a big improvement. I've given excuses last week as to why they lost two million viewers and then this week they went up against the CMAs which I guess is rather popular while but still that's less of an excuse than before, next week though is going to be an even bigger sign since then it'll be back to normal competition. I guess on the bright side at least it wasn't another drop like last week was. Hopefully American Idol finally bombs next year, but I know that won't happen.

I wonder what NBC is airing after the Superbowl....
Last edited by PHOENIXZERO on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:51 pm

KITT was pretty filthy in Knight of the Hunter (MI6 one)
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:22 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote: :lol: That was certainly terrible, I think my eyes did a complete rotation with how hard I rolled them. Hmm, you haven't seem as gung-ho and positive lately.
I'm actually still quite supportive of the series and I know that there are some great episodes coming up. I just thought that by any yardstick, last night's show was not very good. And, I worry about getting those viewers back who might abandon the show. In this TV climate, I'm not sure any series can afford a "weak" episode.

2knight
Rookie

Post by 2knight » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:49 pm

I'm not going to say much about this episode.

I actually enjoyed Billy and Zoe's scenes in KITT while they were spying on Mike and Sarah, and how they tried to tech KITT a bit about human relationships. I also liked the part where KITT came in and smothered the explosion -- very old school.

There's one thing I"m really starting to notice, and I hope they'll fix with the reboot. There's too much watching other scenes on screens and monitors and not enough actual action. It's kind of funny, but also sad, that GST had promoted this show as a non-stop thrill ride with a big wow factor, or something along those lines. The actual action in this series has been pretty limited so far. It's way more drama (and teen drama at that) than action. As many people have observed, there's plenty of opportunity for stunts (even if they are CGI stunts) and for KITT to come in and save they day, but instead he's still parked somewhere off screen.

As many other people have mentioned, I'm really worried about the show and blame it on the direction the writers decided to take the show after the BD pilot. Hopefully the reboot will remedy this. I think the overall concept is great and if the writers/producers can get their act together (or perhaps if they could get better ones who have a better idea of TOS) this show could be awesome.

I'm also looking back and remembering the show Viper. It originally aired a season, but took the following year off to revise its concept. Then it made it another three years after that. I hope if ratings get too bad this season, that NBC will consider something like this rather than outright cancelling the show. It seems obvious there's a great interest in this show from fans, but that the current writers haven't so far been able to do the show right so that it appeals to fans or the general public. Also, it just seems to be a bad time overall for network ratings.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

Bishop37
Recruit

Post by Bishop37 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:59 pm

Stupid episode title and the command centre is about as secure as a child's piggy bank.

2/5