Have yall seen this yet - changes to Knight Rider

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Have yall seen this yet - changes to Knight Rider

Post by KFCreator » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:39 pm

Hardly anything new here, but I figured I'd just post this link from Dark Horizons' website for interests sake:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/081111a.php
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

FordFilly82
Operative

Post by FordFilly82 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:55 am

Well I can't say I'm surprised about the "reboot". But like everyone Else I just knew Graiman was the new Devon. He was older (granted not a Brit), and knowledgeable, and imho had a youthful appeal. Especially with X-Men fans.

While there is something about Rivai that I do like, she is unneeded in this series. Maybe as a recurring or something....
As for Torres: All I haveto say is good ridance! LOL

I look forward to seeing the Classic aspect of the TOS being implmented in 08. :)
Efficient Morphing Mobile Autonomy
KITT: There are not enough hours in the day for me to list everything that confuses you.
Mike: Oh, snap!
Kitt: Yes, Micheal. Snap.

Petition #2507

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:19 am

Bottom line is this. By announcing and executing this 'shake-up', NBC are admitting that the show is in trouble, ergo the show is flawed.
Only the changes were decided only a month after the premiere, when Knight Rider was still doing well enough in ratings and thus not in trouble. We are yet unsure who ordered the 'shake-up' to begin with. Maybe it was the network, maybe it was Thompson's own creative choice.
If NBC were listening to "us", would Graiman have gone? No, since masses of us have said he needs to stay.
I must've been reading a different forum. Outside of this thread, which is pretty much too little too late, people were at best wondering where Graiman was. It's a fact that what we say here is read and, as humanly possible, applied. We are still talking about an industry. A show that's successful in the young demographics will aim at keeping the young cast. Or did we expect them to just sit there and obey every little thing we had to say? This is still someone else's show; not yours or mine. And we've gotten a good deal in return so far. We'll probably get even more in due term.

FX23
Operative

Post by FX23 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:55 am

they have to kill off 3 main characters just so they can pay the hoff to appear for ten minutes in a upcoming episode

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:16 pm

RobWolf wrote:Bottom line is this. By announcing and executing this 'shake-up', NBC are admitting that the show is in trouble, ergo the show is flawed. Now, I'd say, "Do the dignified thing and just pull the plug", but I know that's not how it works in TV land.
I agree that NBC clearly sees the show needed to be shaken up a bit a while ago and we are now learning of the result of that thinking. However, I disagree that "pull the plug" should have been the answer. It takes a big person to accept criticism, but it takes a bigger one to act on that criticism IMO. In that respect, I give kudos to NBC for trying to save a show I thoroughly enjoy.
RobWolf wrote:If NBC were listening to "us", would Graiman have gone? No, since masses of us have said he needs to stay. The fact then that the two young, dynamic, attractive team members avoid the chop (even though they are the most irritating thing on the entire planet) should be speaking volumes to you.
It speaks to me of simple economics. Davidson's paycheck was probably the biggest out of the entire cast. Not only that, out of most of the case he has a consistant TV and movie career, and it would have surprised me if he stuck with KR08 for the long run anyhow.

While Billy and Zoe certainly have been annoying in many ways, there have been many moments that show that the two can be useful and integral parts of the team without annoying the bejeezus out of everyone. "Knight of the Living Dead" was an example of that. As was Zoe's helping Mike in "Iguana". With a smaller cast, the writers now have a chance to help those two break out of the "annoying geeks" category and work them into fully integral and interesting characters.
RobWolf wrote:But that is not going to happen. Now knowing that I'm never going to see Graiman's character developed further,
Hard to say. Just because Davidson will no longer be a regular, that does not dismiss the possibility that he will return as a guest star now and then. Even if (big IF) Graiman is killed, we could still see Graiman in flashbacks. We simply don't know enough about how the 3 characters are being explained away to form a concrete judgement on the storyline.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:17 pm

I don't really know anything about the acting industry and how agents and unions might play into it, but with as much as Hasselhoff loves his role in Knight Rider, would he really demand an extraordinary amount of pay?
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:56 pm

They could always have Charles come back as a hologram that he's hidden in either KITT's programming or something else. <_< >_> Ala, that horrible idea for bringing back Devon after Edward Mulhare died..
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:23 pm

cloudkitt wrote:I don't really know anything about the acting industry and how agents and unions might play into it, but with as much as Hasselhoff loves his role in Knight Rider, would he really demand an extraordinary amount of pay?
Most actors will demand whatever they please for cameos, especially if they know the fan base will go for it (and it could affect ratings). Let's face it, NONE of us here on this board, even the haters, would not want to see Da Hoff back for a brief stint on the show. It's guaranteed ratings. That gives him leverage to negotiate since he has no contractual obligation to the show whatsoever.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:39 pm

You know what they could do? Have it so KARR attacks the SSC, destroys it, and kills the 3 departing cast members. Sarah is believed to be dead also, but she isn't. Mike and KITT gets blamed, so they become outlaws, who, in turn, help protect the innocent in their quest to prove their own innocence. Sarah has to fake her own death in order to help them. Kinda like a cross between TOS & The A-Team

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:45 pm

Kram061-1 wrote:You know what they could do? Have it so KARR attacks the SSC, destroys it, and kills the 3 departing cast members. Sarah is believed to be dead also, but she isn't. Mike and KITT gets blamed, so they become outlaws, who, in turn, help protect the innocent in their quest to prove their own innocence. Sarah has to fake her own death in order to help them. Kinda like a cross between TOS & The A-Team
Very interesting storyline! :D
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:57 pm

Oh yeah, they wouldn't know KITT is KITT. There is just an APB out on MK in a black Mustang.

David
Rookie

Post by David » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:51 pm

Frankly, the biggest change they need to make, apart from ditching as much green screen as possible, is to bring in some writers who can actually write a decent script and who understand the fundamentals of "the world of the Knight Rider."

I know this is Knight Rider, not Shakespeare, but much of the dialogue on the current series is way cornier than the stuff in the much derided original. Not to mention some of the plot contrivances. Experienced actors might be able to make it come off reasonably well, but the current regulars are clearly struggling. I spend a sizeable amount of each episode face-palming and squirming, which is not what I want from my televisual entertainment.

I'm glad to hear the cast will be streamlined, except for the loss of Bruce Davison - one of the few people in the new cast who can actually act worth a damn. Having him alongside the younger cast actually helped lift their games, in the same way Hasselhoff got better by working with the vastly more experienced Edward Mulhare. Who's going to help make JB and Deanna look good now? (in a thespian sense, I mean :wink: )

Overall, "keep it simple, stupid" should be the producers' new mantra. If only they'd adhered to this golden rule right from the start there wouldn't be the need for this emergency revamp. Even TOS came unstuck when they went to the gimmicks to keep people watching: "C button"? - cool! "Barris Pursuit Mode?" not so much. Way to ruin the coolest looking car on TV! (ditto for the currrent Attack Mode KITT)

As much as I never thought I'd say it, I actually might not bother watching the rest of the series as it stands.Why would I bother when I can watch properly realised, well-written and competently acted shows like The Shield, The Office, Heroes, True Blood, Terminator and Dexter instead?

Roll on January and KR2008 V3.0!

Kittsdriver91
Volunteer

Post by Kittsdriver91 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:44 pm

OMG the series is getting back to the roots well it's about time instead the terrorist of the week crap but what is the situation with Bruce Davison's character and how is this going to effect the upcoming and will there be other surprises as the series goes on hummmmm :o :o :)

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:18 am

Glad to hear this. This is what I've wanted from the start. Every episode doesn't have to deal with the fate of our national security. Let's get back to construction equipment owners getting their tractors wrangled away from them. Sadly, watching the episode tonight, Graiman came through as a nice surrogate Devon, so it sucks that he's gone, especially with Billy and Zoe staying. I just don't think I'll ever like those two.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

Nismogtr21
Recruit

Post by Nismogtr21 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:35 pm

RobWolf wrote:PS, to the guy who said the show needs more chase scenes and stunts, I agree. Surely THAT was what KR of olde was all about?

You know what Rob, let's even take out the chase scenes and stunts for a minute, even then, TOS is fun to watch due to the simple fact that Michael and KITT are ALWAYS ON THE ROAD, not some cave or airplane. That alone would make the show more fun, just show the damn car and Michael driving around, KITT learning new things by seeing everyday things and meeting everyday people and solving problems other than the ones that are a threat to national security.

And put on some good tunes blaring from the speakers while Mike travels at warp speed through the desert to get to his destination..remember that? :D

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:43 pm

The desert montage with Men at Work playing from The Topaz Connection is still one of my favorites!
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:50 pm

Army_F_Body wrote:The desert montage with Men at Work playing from The Topaz Connection is still one of my favorites!
Oh wow that was my fav too! :D :kitt:

That scene was great!

Joe

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:19 pm

Although I think NBC chose the wrong characters to axe, cutting down the amount of characters is ultimately a good thing in my opinion.

But I also want to address everyone calling this move a “reboot.” It's not a reboot! Batman Begins was a reboot. The Incredible Hulk was a reboot. Dropping a few cast members is nothing but a smaller scale change to the series. If it were a reboot, we'd have completely new actors and probably a new car altogether.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

tosil
Volunteer

Post by tosil » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:22 pm

:kitt: I think we are going to have a Charles is to Mike as Wilton was to Michael, where Charles is on his death bed and pritty much hands over the keys to Mike and Sara. :karr:

kwsta20
Recruit

Post by kwsta20 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:30 am

check out my version of what should be done on the knight rider reboot...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTMaANlZrtI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:54 am

well, i think the changes that are going to happen are long overdue! it's a good thing that the producers are going to make the new show closer to the classic series. reducing the cast's size, bringing back FLAG and helping the everyman instead of battling terrorists is definately the way to go!
i just don't understand why the producers went in a different direction in the first place?!? wasn't it obvious that viewers watching a show labeled Knight Rider would expect Knight Rider instead of a mix of Transformers, Fast and the Furious and 24 (or any other CIA/NSA crimefighting-agents series)?
i am afraid that they had their chance to win the audience over and they blew it... a change in direction, as promising as it might be, won't reach the masses as well as a series premiere can do.

some of you might remember Star Trek: Enterprise. this show was completely overhauled for season 4, which (IMO) was one of the best seasons of any star trek, still the damage was done in the seasons before and the show was cancelled.
i don't want the same thing to happen to Knight Rider!!! if the producers for once keep their promises i believe the new show can really be what we fans wanted for decades, a worthy heir to the classic Knight Rider series.

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:35 am

i just don't understand why the producers went in a different direction in the first place?!
I see many wondering about this. While I do believe it was incredibly stupid on the production's part not to have decided upon a solid direction from the start (it's unprofessional, if nothing else), I don't see why it's hard to imagine several aspects of the show as it is now.

1) After the post-9/11 shows like ALIAS, 24, a super-spy with the coolest gadget would fit in that style quite nicely, which made the government aspect a no-brainer. Even I, when two or three years ago was theorizing how a Knight Rider show would be now, it was that angle I thought as the most productive. Heck, at some point I was thinking that FLAG would be a covert body altogether (thinking of a reboot, instead of continuation, of course).
2) The original Knight Rider was aiming at young ages, from kids to teens. NBC wanted a show that would be less about depth and more about mindless fun (GST has mentioned that in an early interview, in fact). Best audience to sell a talking car that takes after a kitsch 1980s show is teenagers. So, the plots were oversimplified, the characters too, and the focus shifted to juvenile humor, funky music, fast cuts between shots and sexual imagery. And who better to take over a show like that than the man behind The Fast and the Furious.

Of course, they ended up with a huge slap-mark in their face. The spy/government angle is hard to work in a light show for teens. In fact, the entire premise is now in its twilight (this *is* a genre that became "serious" as far back as 2001- we're near 2009 now), making matters worse. Current audiences are a little too spoiled and consider themselves capable of educated critique, giving the series a very hard time in the press. The promotion was poor. The gap between the backdoor pilot and the actual series was a good eight months. The show has some pretty relentless competition in its timeslot. All problems that they would have foreseen if they were more careful, yes, but nothing all that hard to understand.

TwilightPro101
Recruit

Post by TwilightPro101 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:49 pm

I agree with many of the points presented here. The series was truly in the need of streamlining and I do agree, that Bruce Davison didn't need to go, but the important thing is we're getting back to KNIGHT RIDER basics. :)