Overnight Nielsons for Knight of the Living Dead

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Overnight Nielsons for Knight of the Living Dead

Post by neps » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:27 am

Looks like a 3.3/5 for last night. (which follows a 4.3/7, 4.5/7, 4.6/7, 4.9/8 in other weeks). It faced tough competition from Dancing with the Stars (which hurt us opening week) and a new episode of Bones (which always hurt us).

from http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... /524107171" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
Dancing With the Stars kicked-off the evening with a 10.5 rating/16 share at 8 p.m., which was the top-rated show of the evening in the overnights. Comparably, that outdelivered the week-ago performance of regularly scheduled occupant Pushing Daisies (4.2/ 7 on Oct. 29) by a mammoth 150 percent. So long, Susan Lucci.

Second in the 8 p.m. hour was Fox’s underrated Bones (6.2/10), followed by below average performances for CBS sitcoms The New Adventures of Old Christine (4.4/ 7) and Gary Unmarried (4.2/ 5), NBC’s inane Knight Rider (3.3/ 5), and the CW’s fading America’s Next Top Model (3.1/ 5). One year earlier, Top Model averaged a 3.9/ 6.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Re: Overnight Nielsons for Knight of the Living Dead

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:40 am

So much for the theory of ratings going up after the election...
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Radicalas
Operative

Post by Radicalas » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:43 am

Bad, just hope that next episode will be better and the ratings for KR will be much better. I think that such low rating is because of no action in this episode. But the next episode looks very promising.

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:24 pm

I'd argue that the election didn't help this week either. When you don't have a show on for a week, people tend to forget. The shame is that this was one of the strongest eps to date. Hopefully it picks up next week.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:14 pm

I don't think you can blame it on the election, or even the Obamercial as it didn't seem to affect Bones any, of course Bones currently has a stronger base. Though, perhaps it did a little with it "only" being down by two million viewers from usual, I'm sure Dancing with the Stars didn't help. What is the quarter hour breakdown? We'll see how things go next week...

I see Knight Rider was beaten by a Univision show too. <_<
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:22 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:I don't think you can blame it on the election, or even the Obamercial as it didn't seem to affect Bones any, of course Bones currently has a stronger base.
That's the thing, "Bones" already has a built in audience from 2 years worth of programming. It's harder to forget. KR is only beginning to build its base, so if they tuned in last week and saw the Obamamercial, it's easier for them to forget to tune in again this week since there have only been a handful of eps so far. I'm not blaming the election coverage entirely, just saying it probably contributed to the lower ratings.

kitt2k
Operative

Post by kitt2k » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:35 pm

Where I think NBC missed a golden opportunity, is that they should have aired "Knight Rider" after Obama, and gotten rid of "Lipstick Jungle" that night entirely, especially since the show moved to that Friday anyway. I believe NBC had the highest ratings of all the networks that broadcast the "Obamamercial" and an immediate lead in to the episode as soon as it ended would have yielded it its best night to date, but what do I know....just an idea.

Plus doing this you continue to build on the audience the show has been getting....take a new show off the air for a week, and you are starting from scratch again, because viewers are very "fickle" and quickly forget.

Again, I think the inside marketing on this show does not think things through very well.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:44 pm

kitt2k wrote:Where I think NBC missed a golden opportunity, is that they should have aired "Knight Rider" after Obama, and gotten rid of "Lipstick Jungle" that night entirely, especially since the show moved to that Friday anyway. I believe NBC had the highest ratings of all the networks that broadcast the "Obamamercial" and an immediate lead in to the episode as soon as it ended would have yielded it its best night to date, but what do I know....just an idea.
Actually Im inclined to agree with statement, it makes a lot of sense, people who were watching the Obamamercial may have stayed tuned in and enjoyed something that normally they would not look at.

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:32 am

i figured it would only be a matter of time before the ratings slipped, people are finally starting to realize that this show is nothing like the original series, last nights episode was a real boring episode, kitt was on the airplane the whole entire show, and as far as concerns people forgetting that a show was on because it was off air for 1 week doesn't make sense, if people like a show they know when it is on and they watch it.
in glen larson we trust.

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:51 am

Hmph, let's hope the full season remains and we can go on until season 4.

Economic downturn = less money to pay electricity bills = less watching TV = lower ratings.
Maybe people just don't want to invest on watching a new show right now, as opposed to 2.yrs-old Bones.
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

Knight4life
Operative

Post by Knight4life » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:57 am

A drop in 2 million is a very bad sign guys :shock:

FordFilly82
Operative

Post by FordFilly82 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:18 am

weeezl wrote:
kitt2k wrote:Where I think NBC missed a golden opportunity, is that they should have aired "Knight Rider" after Obama, and gotten rid of "Lipstick Jungle" that night entirely, especially since the show moved to that Friday anyway. I believe NBC had the highest ratings of all the networks that broadcast the "Obamamercial" and an immediate lead in to the episode as soon as it ended would have yielded it its best night to date, but what do I know....just an idea.
Actually Im inclined to agree with statement, it makes a lot of sense, people who were watching the Obamamercial may have stayed tuned in and enjoyed something that normally they would not look at.
I second that. Even though I also agree, 2 million people is *alot* of people!!!
But here's my thing: They are re-airing the eps on Saturdays at 7PM CST, so how are the numbers for *that* night?
That could give us an insight to why NBC picked up KR08.
Efficient Morphing Mobile Autonomy
KITT: There are not enough hours in the day for me to list everything that confuses you.
Mike: Oh, snap!
Kitt: Yes, Micheal. Snap.

Petition #2507

trissybabes
FLAG Recruit

Post by trissybabes » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:57 am

I have to say that the premise of the episode sounded a bit... dare I say... naff and gimicky? Plus it was a week late - so the whole halloween theme has passed - Hopefully it'll be back on an even keel next week - especially in light of the KARR revelations...

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:32 am

Yeah, but that's not their fault since there was the whole Obama infomercial that came about at pretty much the last minute. I agree though that they should have just aired the episode after it at 8:30.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:00 am

I wonder if NBC's own on-air publicity department is partially to blame. I watched the majority of NBC TV last night - and Thursday is or was their most popular night. I didn't see a single commercial for Knight Rider, yet I saw half a dozen for Heroes and My Own Worst Enemy. Even one commercial block had Biggest Loser, Life and Law & Order all in a row. You would think that three commercial block would have been perfect to mention Knight Rider - but no, they advertised a reality show on another night.

NBCs own worst enemy (pun intended?) in some respect is itself. The show was off the air for two weeks, there is 0 promotion outside watching NBC, and even then seeing an actual KR promo is hard. How is anyone other than a fan going to know that there is a new episode or even what the episode is about.

Yes, Knight Rider does well on focus groups for being recognizable, but that doesn't tell people where, when or what episode to tune into.

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:20 am

neps wrote:I wonder if NBC's own on-air publicity department is partially to blame.
I'll agree with this. I see more commercials for their other shows including L&O, My own worst enemy etc. than KR. The initial promo campaign was strong and well done, but they need to keep it up.

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:43 am

Humm... true true.. but I know a bunch of us said we don't usually watch much TV. For me it was the non stop radio commercials they did for the BD pilot that got my attention. I'd recommend that strategy again. Somehow it seems to me that people who are in their car a lot listening to the radio are the type you want to draw into the show.
And come to think of it if TV viewership is down as a whole they are gonna want to look for other places to advertise.
They did taxi cabs, have they tried those TVs that turn on while you pump your gas.
(pumping your own gas thats the thing you have to do when you don't live in NJ or Oregon. #%!!#$ mutter mutter.)
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:29 pm

I've hardly seen NBC advertise KR anywhere for a while,so it's time to advertise it now!
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:46 pm

neps wrote: NBC’s inane Knight Rider (3.3/ 5)
Have we gotten the ratings yet without some remark about Knight Rider? Every week it's some sardonic adjective/comment about Knight Rider but not for any other show. It's annoying.

Anyway, I agree with the lack of promotion, especially after a week off.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:50 pm

cloudkitt wrote:Have we gotten the ratings yet without some remark about Knight Rider? Every week it's some sardonic adjective/comment about Knight Rider but not for any other show. It's annoying.
That's no fair! :x
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Muffin
Volunteer

Post by Muffin » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:32 pm

The ratings system should probably be abolished. It doesn't count those who DVR or tape and watch later, nor does it really count how many people are watching something. For awhile I was watching on television at all, but somehow my household was counted.

As for the content of this week's show, it was my favorite so far. There was plenty of action and tech stuff in the complex and for the first time, I really enjoyed KI3T in this version.

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:37 pm

While eating at the Outback Steakhouse tonight, I happened to notice the tv at the bar playing some football game. Normally I wouldn't have noticed but it must have played the Knight Rider commercial 3 times during my meal. I smiled each time.... :D
That is a computer not a sofa.......Knight of the Drones

A firsthand viewer of Knight Rider '08!
And I LOVED it!