Torchwood is a major influence in the new Knight Rider

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Luis
Rookie

Torchwood is a major influence in the new Knight Rider

Post by Luis » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:59 pm

I don't know if many in the KRO community noticed this, but Torchwood is a major influence on Knight Rider. For those who don't know Torchwood, here's the Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torchwood

1. Both have a secret, underground base

The KITT Cave and Torchwood's command center are very similar. Both have sports arenas and living spaces, for example. Both are deep underground.

2. Vehicles are very similar -- Attack KITT / Range Rover

The Range Rover used by Torchwood is a clear source of inspiration for the new KITT. It's full of blue LEDs (both A-pillars) and the body is subtly modified with a dark material that resembles KITT's shell.

3. Both have a bisexual character

Torchwood has Captain Jack Harkness, Knight Rider has Carrie Rivai. Harkness is openly bisexual while Carrie's sexuality seems to be back in the closet.

4. Secret organizations within the government

Torchwood is part of the UK government, a special team of operatives that deal with aliens, the paranormal and everything else in between. Knight Industries seems to be a private company but they have heavy government involvement.

5. They employ a team of operatives

Of course, all kinds of shows use teams as the backbone for the narrative, but the similarities between Torchwood's and Knight Rider are striking. You have the geek, the hot chick, etc.

6. Relatively low-budget

As a spin-off of Doctor Who, Torchwood has a much smaller budget, so episodes tend to be more rooted in reality. This means less CGI and a reduced number of sets. Knight Rider is a sequel to the original 1980s show, which was not high-budget either. Both make the best of limited budgets.

7. GST is a fan of Torchwood and mentions the show in "Knight of the Living Dead"

In next week's episode, Billy dresses up like Jack Harkness, which prompts jokes about his sexuality. GST has mentioned Torchwood several times in interviews both in print and online. It seems he was going for "24 meets Torchwood" when prepping Knight Rider for its 2008 debut.

What do you think? Am I just going crazy? I want to see comments -- lots of them :)

n1elkyfan
Recruit

Re: Torchwood is a major influence in the new Knight Rider

Post by n1elkyfan » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:11 pm

Don't forget all of the other little spy gadget that they both use. The one i think of the most is the Contact HUD

Luis
Rookie

Post by Luis » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:16 pm

Yeah, you're right! I think that's the visual cue that made me realize it. I was watching Torchwood yesterday and noticed the Contact HUD... It immediately made me think of Knight Rider.

Nice rendition of Torchwood's SUV:

Luis
Rookie

Post by Luis » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:21 pm

If if you don't know/don't care about Torchwood, YOU HAVE TO SEE the sweet custom Range Rover pic I added to the post. Come on, I know you want to :)

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by CJaguar442 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:23 pm

I am a doctor who and a torchwood fan too. but I believe that captain jack has lost his way since parting ways with doctor who
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:10 pm

The SUV would be so much better as a Landrover SPORT, still with the blue lights and stuff though...

Luis
Rookie

Post by Luis » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:46 pm

I keep hoping the SUV will do something really cool when darting from one place to the other. I also wonder if the car has any gadgets/performance enhancements of note -- like KITT does.

Samborghini
Rookie

Post by Samborghini » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:49 pm

Didn't TORCHWOOD state they were OUTSIDE the government and beyond the police? However good point but one tackles criminals above the law whereas TORCHWOOD seek out aliens etc (btw fan of TORCHWOOD to and Doctor Who but this is Knight Rider)
Protecting the innocent, the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.

Luis
Rookie

Post by Luis » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:37 pm

Of course, I just think the concept is very similar. GST seems to be a Torchwood fan, so it would make sense that Torchwood was the inspiration for the non-TOS elements in Knight Rider.

triran
Rookie

Post by triran » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:10 am

Samborghini wrote:Didn't TORCHWOOD state they were OUTSIDE the government and beyond the police?
Yes, because have you seen our government and police :twisted:

cajunknight0153
Operative

Post by cajunknight0153 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:50 am

whats torchwood?

triran
Rookie

Post by triran » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:04 am

cajunknight0153 wrote:whats torchwood?
A spin off from Doctor Who by the BBC. Can be seen on BBC America apparantly.