Live Discussion Thread: Knight of the Hunter

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

ShadowKnight006
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Live Discussion Thread: Knight of the Hunter

Post by ShadowKnight006 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:12 pm

This is a testament to the awesomeness of the fx, I never even thought about that not being a real vehicle when KITT hit the landmine. Also, the mods to the 4x4 mode make a world of difference (kinda even makes me want a truck, like it is supposed to lol).
Looking for TKR!

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:12 pm

krenigma wrote:Hey! Krenigma from the VFX team. I'm glad everyone seems to like this episode! This was a big episode for us, KITT being thrown into the air, rocket launchers, all kinds of stuff (and some stuff you hopefully didn't even know were VFX :)

I always like to hear what people thought specifically of our work?
I thought KITT flipping through the air was very well done, bravo!
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

TheGHOSTMAN 007
Recruit

Post by TheGHOSTMAN 007 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:14 pm

WOW!!!!!! This was, by far, the best episode yet! I couldn't believe how happy I was with the episode. I did not like the KITT truck from the beginning but I think I am changing my mind. I was not pleased with the effects with the first episode but thought they improved with later episodes. This episode, however, the effects were top notch!! GREAT JOB!!!

This episode really reminded me of the original series. Especially the early scenes with Mike chasing the Hummer. The scene with 4x4 KITT driving through the minefield and even KITTs humor. I knew I would like this show because it is Knight Rider, but with this episode it has now become my favorite current show.
goldbug wrote:I'm really happy with this episode. Like "Hard Day's Knight" everything just came together very well. I was very happy to see Mike and KITT being the focus of the ep with Sarah and gang back at the SCC doing what they're supposed to do - support Mike but not take over his missions.

The interaction between KITT and Mike has definitely gone up a notch. KITT's developing sense of humor (dry as it is) and Mike's loyalty to him were expressed several times in the ep, and that's what we've been needing.

It was also fantastic to see a lot of practical driving and stunt work. Mike's dive onto the truck was excellent and worthy of the Knight Rider name. I felt a lot of genuine tension throughout the ep, and that too is a marked improvement.

In fact, I only have on minor nitpick, and it's one that has been present in all episodes so far. Why can't KITT open his doors by himself? I mean, it hardly ruins the episode for me, but every time Mike had to open the door I kept thinking that the illusion of KITT being a "real" functioning AI is partly sold by small details such as that. I recall KI2T opening his doors by himself many times, and it's something that not only shows the AI is "in the car", but also is an expression of the teamwork that he and Michael had. Still, I emphasize that this is minor and in no way severely impacted my enjoyment of the episode. :)
The only minor flaw with the episode, like I mentioned before and like "goldbug" said, is that KITT still doesn't open his doors for anyone. It should be a simple thing to do and it was done often on the original. It's not a big enough issue to detract from the episode, but it is something I really want to see KITT start doing. I also agree with everything else "goldbug" said.

I really can't express how happy I am with this episode (and series overall). To everyone involved in making the show, THANK YOU!

KR4Life
Recruit

Post by KR4Life » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:19 pm

JJSoCrazy wrote:Oh one more thing I wanted to mention, when KITT was changing his software chips do you think this has something to do with what happens to KITT "down the line"?

Joe

It does seem like the most likely cause/explanation for the (re)birth of KARR. Honestly, since when has it been a good thing when the CPU is different color when they switch it out, Huh??

KR4Life
Recruit

Post by KR4Life » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 pm

KR4Life wrote:
krenigma wrote:I always like to hear what people thought specifically of our work?
The"morphing while flying" sequence was very well done. Kudos! I was just wondering about the shading when KITT morphs. I noticed that, in a few instances, KITT's panels are either really dark or really light when he shifts between forms.

KnightIndustriesTT
Rookie

Post by KnightIndustriesTT » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:58 pm

I agree, the throwing KITT up in the air looked great (especially combined with the nighttime visuals and the special effects for the explosions) and was wonderfully tense.

I also liked how there was more OBVIOUS moments of KITT driving himself which we haven't seen enough of yet (often it hasn't been quite so overt who's driving, this one was another improvement on this as each episode has slowly done). The stunt towards the end with Mike getting out of a moving KITT while KITT drove up behind the truck was pure Knight Rider awesomeness.

The final showdown and the framing of the shots when Michael got out of KITT and walked up next to the hood to taunt the villains was probably one of my favorite moments in entire series yet, not only was the framing of the camera angle great and reminding me of the great partnership built up in the original, but having Mike standing next to the car bragging about KITT as his army and what he can do while KITT (with Mike not necessarily in the car) does something cool was exactly the type of scene I've been looking fowards to. Now they just need to show KITT driving with nobody in him a bit more often (coming to the rescue, etc.) and he'll be his own complete character. :)

As they keep refining the show each episode it's feeling more and more "Knight Rider" so I'm extremely glad they've gotten the go-ahead for the full season!

Oh yeah, I'm sure I'm not the only older fan who's enjoying the new Knight Rider that got a little nostalgic at the wide shot of KITT on the highway driving across the screen that opened tonight's episode.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:15 am

I really loved this episode for the following reasons:

1.Reminded me of Kitt in TOS "Ring Of Fire" How he got all dirty and dusty.I always saw a perfect shiney kitt in all the episodes except this episode.I kind of like a state-of-the-art computer in a futuristic black shiney car not being afraid to get a little dirty.I also like how kitt was in the ditch after mid-transformation it reminded me of the same episode when Michael got kitt floating in a swamp in the episode the producers must have gotten the idea for this episode from.

2.Liked the side story where Billy learns to fight from Zoe and eventually leads to a date for them.I want to see them together more than Mike and Sara.

3.I like how they barely use the laser and missiles in the series.I feel that's where the Team Knight Rider went very wrong making it all about the weapons and less about the relationship between a man and his car LOL.I really mean that its more about how a computer can deal with everyday life such as how often kitt used microjam rather than all the powerful weapons for every situation.

4.The get naked for the bodyheat scene was hilarious to me.To make Sara so uncomfortable.I would have thought that would have been the perfect moment for Kitt to evolve and take the buddy buddy relationship a further level and say,"I'm sorry Sara but visual system mode is down" and lie about that to cover for his best friend.Kind of how Bonnie once said,"Only way way kitt could have damaged the alpha capacitor would be to do something stupid like,tow a car...." and Kitt covered for Michael by saying "No Comment" Michael replied,"Your one in a million pal."

KnightIndustriesTT
Rookie

Post by KnightIndustriesTT » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:28 am

Knight Racer wrote:I really loved this episode for the following reasons:
1.Reminded me of Kitt in TOS "Ring Of Fire" How he got all dirty and dusty.I always saw a perfect shiney kitt in all the episodes except this episode.I kind of like a state-of-the-art computer in a futuristic black shiney car not being afraid to get a little dirty.I also like how kitt was in the ditch after mid-transformation it reminded me of the same episode when Michael got kitt floating in a swamp in the episode the producers must have gotten the idea for this episode from.
Very true, it was real nice to see the car not so spiffy for one of the first times it really made it feel like KITT was really getting into the heat of the battle for one of the first times; dirty, a bit of internal damage, driving himself in teamwork fashion. KITT damaged in the ditch where Michael didn't want to leave really got the tenseness going.

knightriderfan80
Recruit

Post by knightriderfan80 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:40 am

The scanner noise was synced up when KITT was the truck parked in the camp.

calhoun24
Recruit

Post by calhoun24 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:26 am

I loved this ep. I know it seems like it's less like the KR we knew all those years ago, but tonight, it sort of felt like old times. Quick list:

- Mike going old school and boarding the truck in true TOS fashion. I think his father would be proud.
- "Prepare to scream like a little girl." A little late, but we got the desired reaction.
- Cassandra was OK too, and although I liked her, I'm glad Mike respected Sarah not to go further. Just goes to show that Mike really does care for Sarah.
- Rockets! Nice dance moves indeed...
- Great final scene between Mike and Sarah. Very sweet.
- "Mustang Sally" Say what you will, but even you have to admit it fits the current show! Just don't call the Knight 3000 Sally. :D
"One man can make a difference." - Wilton Knight
Long live Wilton's dream and F.L.A.G.!

krenigma
Knight Rider 2008 Creative

Post by krenigma » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:23 am

ShadowKnight006 wrote:This is a testament to the awesomeness of the fx, I never even thought about that not being a real vehicle when KITT hit the landmine. Also, the mods to the 4x4 mode make a world of difference (kinda even makes me want a truck, like it is supposed to lol).
Thanks! Inherently we of course want our shots to be so real you can't tell whether its a "real" effect or a visual effect, but with a show like this there are times when you KNOW its a visual effect (like when KITT transforms). But with a shot like the mine shot, we really wanted it to look REAL.

So that meant applying real world physics to the way KITT flys up and then as he lands, and the way the dust and dirt fly up when he hits the ground, and the flames interacting with the lights and the dust, and even the way the camera jitters with each impact... its gets complicated and we precisely pay attention to every element, but the whole point is to make it so you don't notice any of it, other than to get caught up in the story.

So, it makes me happy to hear you didn't even think about KITT not being real, ha ha...

KRenigma
http://www.masterkeyfilms.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:45 am

This sure was a good episode! Both story wise and the VFX. I sure have no complaints. They earned those extra 9 with this one :good:
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:30 am

I'm going to go against the general consensus a bit.

I think the episode started out strong and was very good up to and including having KITT blow up and get stuck in the ditch. But he stayed in the ditch far too long. We want to see Michael & KITT together as much as possible, yet at times it feels like they're going out of their way to keep that bond from happening.

And I think there is the continued problem of over-complicating the villains: First they're anti-government rebels planning on blowing up a dam. Then they're mercenaries blowing up a dam. Then they're mercenaries stealing gold. It's OK to have just one simple crime planned without multiple levels of misdirects and revelations.

I'd rank it #3, after #1 Fireball and #2 Poison.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

JTurchetta
Volunteer

Post by JTurchetta » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:08 am

Thought it was very well done. Like GST said, give the show time to set up its rules and evolve. Its doing just that. The last two episodes alone have been extremely well executed. Good pacing, good story, well acted, super VFX and a great mix of nostalgia and new mythos.

Its nice to see the team sort of taking on their roles. Sarah staying in the "KITT Cave," playing the sort of role Bonnie did in the original series. Granted she is much more than a mechanic, but having her in the Cave in the absence of Charles is a nice juxtiposition for her.

I enjoyed the banter between KITT and Michael, and at times, especially when Mike re-established comm with KITT could almost hear a little bit of Williams Daniels in the cadence of Val Kilmer. Intentional or not, it was a nice touch.

This episode had a great vibe. A well balanced mix of old and new school. Looking forward to the next ep in 2 weeks.

Cheers for a continued job well done, can't wait for more.
J.

T5x_Prototype
Volunteer

Post by T5x_Prototype » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:28 am

i must agree that the episode was indeed a better one. I was just thinking two things though.
1. when mike said " its a mustang, an American icon" in the promos, when they said an American icon is back, i thought "the American icon" was KITT?

2. KITT with guns. What happened to preservation of human life?

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:12 am

T5x_Prototype wrote:i must agree that the episode was indeed a better one. I was just thinking two things though.
1. when mike said " its a mustang, an American icon" in the promos, when they said an American icon is back, i thought "the American icon" was KITT?

2. KITT with guns. What happened to preservation of human life?
1. The Mustang is very much an iconic American car, so Mike's statement was accurate in that respect. I'm sure there's a double meaning in that KITT is a bit of an American icon in pop culture as well.

2. KITT didn't kill any humans, he simply destroyed their means of escape while showing his power.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:13 am

I LOVED this episode! by far the best one yet!!!!

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:22 am

Anyone notice how turbo boost hasn't been used in a few episodes?

Or that not everyone in the cast appears in every episode these days?

Anytime a series does that I wonder who's either sick,not getting paid enough and might be permanently gone from the show.

nascarnut
Volunteer

Post by nascarnut » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:23 am

I loved this episode. I think this show is getting better and better. The FX was great. I loved the MI3 Agent when the door to the truck opened "who is bloody driving?" Reminds me of some of the old show with people being shocked about what KITT is. Really nice touch to me. I can't wait for the next one! to bad we have to wait 2 weeks for it... :(

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:34 am

I thought when Mike was holding the gun to the girl when he said "That only tells me that you wanna live it doesn't tell me who's side you're on" I thought his voice and tone sounded a LOT like Micharl Sr. in TOS.

bige12
Rookie

Post by bige12 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:54 am

The Next new episode of Knight Rider (Knight of the Living Dead) will air on Saturday, November 1, at 8:00 pm since the stupid Obmama brouth Knight Riders Time slot for Next Wednesday and if you Read GST blog then the mentions next weeks episode will air after Halloween.

Knight Rider
Knight of the Living Dead

Sat, Nov 1, 8:00 PM Run Time: 60 min.
WRC - 34
Genre: Crime drama

* HD
* CC
* TV-PG
* STEREO

A tech is murdered at Knight Industries headquarters; while they are stuck on a flight during a storm, Sarah and Mike must try to stop KITT before it self-destructs.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Knight2000
FLAG Recruit

Post by Knight2000 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:02 am

I enjoyed this ep a bit than the others (except for HDK - "poison").

Loved the driving scene in the desert (God, I miss those) at the beginning. Plot was fairly interesting. Some bits were too drawn out (the jumping scene - they should have shortened it by a few seconds, too much faffing around IMO). A few bits where I just rolled my eyes (getting nakey, the entire "my ride" bit). But still very good.
goldbug wrote:I'm really happy with this episode. Like "Hard Day's Knight" everything just came together very well. I was very happy to see Mike and KITT being the focus of the ep with Sarah and gang back at the SCC doing what they're supposed to do - support Mike but not take over his missions.
Yeah this was much better. I hope future eps are like this (with a little less cheese).
goldbug wrote: The interaction between KITT and Mike has definitely gone up a notch. KITT's developing sense of humor (dry as it is) and Mike's loyalty to him were expressed several times in the ep, and that's what we've been needing.
He's learning, which is good. I just expected him to be a bit better evolved in terms of actively scanning and stating that they were gonna be blocked in. I'd be pretty miffed if I was in that situation and KI3T hadn't warned me beforehand.
goldbug wrote: Why can't KITT open his doors by himself?
KITT Season 4 wrote:KITT suggested the transformation
This bugs me too and for me, counts as part of the above comment - he's still not thinking ahead far enough at times, and other times he's much better prepared. I was hoping KI3T had progressed further from KI2T and more towards Data from ST:TNG.

cloudkitt wrote:reminiscent of Inside Out.
And who else thought they were gonna play "Jump In My Car" at the end there? :)
I was thinking of that ep throughout but couldn't remember the name. And I too thoguht they'd start playing that song! Mildly disappointed when they didn't.
TheGHOSTMAN 007 wrote:WOW!!!!!! This was, by far, the best episode yet! I couldn't believe how happy I was with the episode. I did not like the KITT truck from the beginning but I think I am changing my mind.
I still don't like the truck mode. KI2T was able to handle most terrain surfaces without the need for better traction (except the "high traction drop downs") so I'd expect KI3T, supposedly being far more advanced, to be able to handle the terrain surfaces without needing to transform into a truck.

Michael Pajaro wrote: And I think there is the continued problem of over-complicating the villains: First they're anti-government rebels planning on blowing up a dam. Then they're mercenaries blowing up a dam. Then they're mercenaries stealing gold. It's OK to have just one simple crime planned without multiple levels of misdirects and revelations.
I don't mind the odd episode being highly(and well)-twisted but for this ep, I don't see the need for the entire "anti-Govt." bit when they could have just been mercenaries.

T5x_Prototype wrote: 2. KITT with guns. What happened to preservation of human life?
Does this new KI3T still have the primary program of the original KI2T? If it's not there, then there's gonna be changes.

JJSoCrazy wrote:Oh one more thing I wanted to mention, when KITT was changing his software chips do you think this has something to do with what happens to KITT "down the line"?
Yes, I found this intriguing and annoying (didn't seem to make any sense in changing chips in such an awkward and long-winded fashion). But I did wonder whether it'd be related to a later episode!

shirik
Volunteer

Post by shirik » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:24 am

excellent episode!! it's reaaly imroving very well! i loved it! very intense great action- great music! good job on that one!

knightfever
Operative

Post by knightfever » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:02 am

[quote="Knight2000]I still don't like the truck mode. KI2T was able to handle most terrain surfaces without the need for better traction (except the "high traction drop downs") so I'd expect KI3T, supposedly being far more advanced, to be able to handle the terrain surfaces without needing to transform into a truck.[/quote]

In this episode, I had the impression that the truck mode was more for appearances rather than KITT not being able to handle the terrain, which is supported by the fact that once KITT had repaired himself and went to pick up Michael and "Jane" he was in his regular mode and was able to handle the terrain just fine then.

Another thing that was a pleasant suprise, which I haven't seen anyone mention yet, was the "You're gonna scream like a girl..." scene, and then KITT took of, which was very reminscent of the old KITT going into Pursuit mode. He finally had a burst of speed in regular mode. The whole episode was awesome. No gripes or complaints on my side. The truck mode even grew on me in this episode.

Taichi
Rookie

Post by Taichi » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:07 am

Was it just me... or did Val's voice seem a little more "human"... could just be the way it was mixed... but the voice was clearer and more humane sounding.

On that note... great episode!!!

-Truck mode was actually worth it this time.
-Real time driving with the truck... too bad not with Mustang KITT... guess they don't want the actors really driving that car... lol!
-Liked the KITT/Mike time... although they weren't together all the time... it was them... not all the SSC crew.
-More car driving this go round... very nice
-The VFX were okay... I'm a graphic designer and I over criticize the effects too much. But I still think the color is way too flat, and lighting is not so great, at least with this episode... I think they've been done better in others. And honestly, I think it's the daylight issue that needs to be worked on... the nighttime transformations or inside transformations where studio lighting is present I think it looks great. But daytime shots with natural lighting are more hard, I know, but you can really tell that it's graphics.
-The mine scene though... oh my god! That was incredible!
-Mustang Sally... great cheesy touch... classic.
-Sarah being the "mechanic tech", that was cool... keep her that way for future shows... I know the first 13 have been shot... but from here on out, that fits her.
-The changing of the chips was nice as well... glad we get to see a little more of the inner workings of KITT.

To the VFX crew. You all do a great job, don't take my statement as being downgrading, I know you all are working hard and we do appreciate that you take it seriously and try to please us fans... keep it up!