What kind of car is Kitt REALLY?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

What kind of car is Kitt REALLY?

Post by pheonix_knight » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:31 pm

Kitt has an 'automatic' transmission unless he's switched off (like in the feb08 pilot we saw the 'stickshift' suddenly appear) but Shelby gt500kr's are MANUAL transmission only....

So why have the seats/headrests etc emblazened with "GT500kr" and, if i'm not mistaken, the Shelby signature????

KITT can't be an actual gt500kr (i mean in reality, not the KR universe)

What's the story???

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: What kind of car is Kitt REALLY?

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:44 pm

I assume that some of the Cobras are probably Mustangs with Shelby body kits,like in the pilot.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:43 pm

Okay Knight Rider nerds, let me give you a little review on KITT's assisting role for Michael Knight:

KITT's programming requires a human pilot to delegate certain decisions that KITT just can not do by himself. I'm not talking about killing, I'm talking about scenario's where KITT is not able to complete the mission on his own. He is a car, his role is to transport. Bottom line. We all see KITT in TOS has three separate apparent modes: Normal, Cruise, and Pursuit. What is Pursuit? It's not to allow KITT to just drive faster, it's to drive with Mike behind the wheel. Certain sharp turns, braking procedures..KITT assists Mike. That's why the old gull wing steering wheel made so much sense back in the day. When you hear Michael Knight in both series' order KITT at full power, or to hold back, it's because KITT is the assisting driver. ....like an angel guiding Mike's hands.

So why have KITT go into manual mode when he is shut down? Because Michael Knight will need full control of the vehicle, that's why. Automatic's without advanced A.I. is just a slow vehicle.

Here endeth the lesson

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:46 pm

KnightINSTINCT wrote:Okay Knight Rider nerds, let me give you a little review on KITT's assisting role for Michael Knight:

KITT's programming requires a human pilot to delegate certain decisions that KITT just can not do by himself. I'm not talking about killing, I'm talking about scenario's where KITT is not able to complete the mission on his own. He is a car, his role is to transport. Bottom line. We all see KITT in TOS has three separate apparent modes: Normal, Cruise, and Pursuit. What is Pursuit? It's not to allow KITT to just drive faster, it's to drive with Mike behind the wheel. Certain sharp turns, braking procedures..KITT assists Mike. That's why the old gull wing steering wheel made so much sense back in the day. When you hear Michael Knight in both series' order KITT at full power, or to hold back, it's because KITT is the assisting driver. ....like an angel guiding Mike's hands.

So why have KITT go into manual mode when he is shut down? Because Michael Knight will need full control of the vehicle, that's why. Automatic's without advanced A.I. is just a slow vehicle.

Here endeth the lesson
OK. Now you have that off your chest perhaps you'd like to go back and read the original question and give us and answer on that.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:53 pm

OK. Now you have that off your chest perhaps you'd like to go back and read the original question and give us and answer on that.
I already answered it. When KITT is off, the Shelby GT500KR is left.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:08 pm

Yeah, KITT is an automatic because the computer can handle the transmission better and more precisely than a human can.

If you're trying to argue if he's automatic he can't be a Shelby...well I'm pretty sure Shelby's don't have sentient talking computers in them or transform either.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:11 pm

pheonix_knight wrote:So why have the seats/headrests etc emblazened with "GT500kr" and, if i'm not mistaken, the Shelby signature????
Because Charles Graiman gets kickbacks from Ford!! :lol:

Seriously, I think Charles probably liked the GTKR and chose it as the way to make the car look to be able to blend in with other cars out there. However, as we are learning bit by bit, KITT is anything but a Mustang GTKR, he merely looks like one. Last week he even mentioned he doesn't have "sparkplugs", so clearly he may resemble a car but internally he's something completely different.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

Knight94
Operative

Post by Knight94 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:21 pm

:kittx: KITT's a Mustang alright, but the Shelby GT500 stuff's prob'ly custom stuff bought or made, or donated
by Ford/Shelby gear. Shelby uses stickshift in it's cars, not auto trans. The reason for auto trans is to have the
remote(autopilot) mode. You can't get a manual with remote start, auto tranny only. Then again, they prob'ly
got some Shelby 'Stang's, swapped trannies, and were good to go.

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:36 pm

Knight94 wrote::kittx: KITT's a Mustang alright, but the Shelby GT500 stuff's prob'ly custom stuff bought or made, or donated
by Ford/Shelby gear. Shelby uses stickshift in it's cars, not auto trans. The reason for auto trans is to have the
remote(autopilot) mode. You can't get a manual with remote start, auto tranny only. Then again, they prob'ly
got some Shelby 'Stang's, swapped trannies, and were good to go.

That's not the reason at all. Sure, the remote KITT was an automatic GT with a Shelby body kit, but that's the only fact you have with that. KITT switched to a manual in the pilot, did you forget?

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:00 am

well if you think about it, Kitt HAS to be auto transmission. How is he gonna change gears when driving himself if it's a manual?

Could be a very funny scene with Micheal fighting to get handcuffs on a bad guy in the passenger seat and he has to stop and change gears for Kitt.

or...

"Kitt I need ya!"

"I'm sorry Micheal you left me out of gear and I'm unable to move the gear-stick myself."
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TriComEMS2401
Volunteer

Post by TriComEMS2401 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:19 am

It would seem that Kitt has an auto transmission. Then again even if he was a stick I'm sure Kitt could still drive himself. Ki2t drove himself and he was auto he still moved gear shift into drive or reverse on his own. I'm sure even though Ki3t AI is still learning he seems advanced enough to be able to shift gears himself. Then again I maybe way off.

:spmgo:

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:21 am

Well of course he could move the stick himself. But then wouldn't he just count as an automatic anyway?
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:36 am

cloudkitt wrote:Well of course he could move the stick himself. But then wouldn't he just count as an automatic anyway?
KI3T - redefining automatic transmission for a new generation!
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:32 pm

As a kid, I was just amazed at my family's Chrysler 300m with it's shift system. You guys know what I'm talking about: Primarily an auto trans, but you can switch the mode to where you can toggle through the gears just by bumping the gear shifter. If I didn't shift when I was suppose to, the car would automatically just shift the gear for me anyways. I thought it was a fun way bringing the aspect of video gaming to real life.

KnightRiderKR
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightRiderKR » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:19 pm

He is a highly advanced GT500KR period.

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:39 pm

hmm isn't an automatic transmission doing the same thing as a manual, except automatically? That is to say, it still goes from 1st to 2nd etc., but the gears are switched automatically? So there doesn't seem to be anything illogical about manual backup. Just like gauges, the windshield is the main digital gauge and the analog is a backup (I still think the dashboard should have a digital indication that is bigger than the analog backups).

A manual transmission control for such a car might be no different than buttons, sending electrical signals to the motor, or it could be a hydraulic valve. The helm control on a submarine has a similar backup mode.

--Brian

RobWolf
Rookie

Post by RobWolf » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:29 pm

Just out of curiosity, was the 'KR' in Shelby GT500KR added because the car was going to be in Knight Rider, or is it just a coincidence (or god forbid, the reason why the car was chosen, "Oh, it has the initials KR, it's PERFECT!")

GT500KR
FLAG Recruit

Post by GT500KR » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:14 pm

RobWolf wrote:Just out of curiosity, was the 'KR' in Shelby GT500KR added because the car was going to be in Knight Rider, or is it just a coincidence (or god forbid, the reason why the car was chosen, "Oh, it has the initials KR, it's PERFECT!")

KR in GT-500 KR is actually King of the Road. Shelby making about 1500 KR to mark the 40th anniversary of the 1968 Shelby GT-500 KR
"My wife asks me, why you do those burnouts? Well.....you do it for the kids, you know, Im not being immature. You just.....well you do it for the kids."
~Jay Leno

89IROCNDoug
Operative

Post by 89IROCNDoug » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:21 am

RobWolf wrote:Just out of curiosity, was the 'KR' in Shelby GT500KR added because the car was going to be in Knight Rider, or is it just a coincidence (or god forbid, the reason why the car was chosen, "Oh, it has the initials KR, it's PERFECT!")
I believe it was just a coincidence, since the GT500KR was the top of the line Mustang that was already planned for production by Ford. (Ford also had KR (King of the Road) Mustangs in the past)
One man did make a difference.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:02 pm

He is a highly advanced GT500KR period.
LOL! He's like any other Shelby GT500, only with a red light bar at the front.

Yes, I know the attack mode "looks" highly advanced but that's just some fiberglass added to the car which you can buy right off your dealership.

The rest is computer graphics!
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway