Knight Rider 1982 vs Knight Rider 2008

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider 1982 vs Knight Rider 2008

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:41 pm

Now that we have aa small taste of the series,what do you guys think?

HyperCaz
Rookie

Re: Knight Rider 1982 vs Knight Rider 2008

Post by HyperCaz » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:49 pm

well it's really...

one man can make a difference vs one KITT cave can attempt to make a difference
BEWARE: shipper alert

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:51 pm

I believe that that's a rather cynical answer given that Michael and KITT were only truly alone on two occasions during the course of the entire original series, the first being Michael's attempt to get Tanya, and the second being his need to reap bloody vengeance on Durante.

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:36 pm

I've had some real reservations about the pilot and the new series (especially when it comes to the original mythology) that I've had no problem expressing here. But it does seem like this cast and crew has the best of intentions. Justin Bruening was a fan of the original and Gary Scott Thompson has been studying the old series. Overall, it's not a bad show and I like it much better than Knight Rider 2000 or Team Knight Rider.

I've been watching each week and will continue to support it.

But Knight Rider 1982 always.

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:43 am

:kitt2:

This car can never be replaced. But other than this, both shows are just great :mrgreen:

HyperCaz
Rookie

Post by HyperCaz » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:13 am

Matthew wrote:I believe that that's a rather cynical answer given that Michael and KITT were only truly alone on two occasions during the course of the entire original series, the first being Michael's attempt to get Tanya, and the second being his need to reap bloody vengeance on Durante.

Matt
Alright then. :wink:

One guy + a talking car + a semi + a nice building with up to 3 extra regulars at a given time
- can make a difference with criminals above the law, bring justice to the random innocent...etc...

VS

One guy + a talking car + a jet + a Kitt Cave with up to 6 extra characters (...is it just me or is it getting crowded?!)
- seems to be focused on helping out the military, and I haven't seen any random innocents...

Although I'll have to concede the "truly alone" thing...and those were the only two really edgy moments on TOS. In comparison, '08 is edgier with more carry-on themes. But I still think TOS is more to do with the "one man" concept - I am thinking of the generic episodes where Michael & Kitt spent most of the episode helping out some random group/town/damsel with limited FLAG/semi screentime. With the new series, seems like Mike & KI3T can't do anything without their support group... a support group which appears far too often, with far too many characters.

Stealthwalker
Operative

Post by Stealthwalker » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:28 pm

Knight Rider '82 forever!! & even though KR'08 has been on for a few episodes, it still has some "big shoes to fill", but I'm willing to give it a chance. "Best of Luck to KR'08".
Stealthwalker aka "Tha Lone Crusader"

"We Meet Again". As quoted by Garthe Knight in "Goliath & Goliath Returns"

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit

Post by DevonStyles » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:02 pm

The original had much better writing and much better actors. Everthing seemed to jell togther much better. Much better stunts because they were real. Their was a innocent humor in a story line that started out very dark and mysterious.

The new series has much more technology, better camera technology and better editing capabilities... Even though it's not using either.

By the way what ever happened to having the camera guy sit on top of the car while filming the drivers and their real responses vs. sitting infront of a green screen? That's what they were promoting for the movie.

I stand behind this statement.
If you could imagine all the original episodes shot over again exactly as they were, but with the new camera technology and all the possibilities of today, it would be the most amazing show on tv.
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

Alex
FLAG Assistant

Post by Alex » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:28 pm

I think the television series Knight Rider in 1982 was a great success! I will never forget in my life in the year 1982, the fantastic actors David Hasselhoff, Edward Mulhare and Peter Parros, and the actresses Patricia McPherson and Rebecca Holden and also especially in the future the car KITT will be the greatest story ever!

Alex.

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:42 pm

Problem is the original series got cancelled because viewers weren't tuning in any more. The formula stopped working in its original form. The new series is more of homage its 1980's counterpart but also looks to move things on in terms of the mythology and definitely the technology.

I admit, some of the green screening is a little jarring but Knight Rider was always escapism and about suspending disbelief for an hour. The new show is the same.

I like the 'kittcave' and fact that there are more characters now, the only thing i would change is keeping the characters OUT of the car, or at least just stay in the passenger seat...

I'm curious why Sydney is in the title sequence but has actually only featured in Shining Armor, so far and Smith Cho is not but appears as a 'guest star' every week...??

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:22 pm

DevonStyles wrote:The original had much better writing and much better actors. Everthing seemed to jell togther much better. Much better stunts because they were real. Their was a innocent humor in a story line that started out very dark and mysterious.

The new series has much more technology, better camera technology and better editing capabilities... Even though it's not using either.

By the way what ever happened to having the camera guy sit on top of the car while filming the drivers and their real responses vs. sitting infront of a green screen? That's what they were promoting for the movie.

I stand behind this statement.
If you could imagine all the original episodes shot over again exactly as they were, but with the new camera technology and all the possibilities of today, it would be the most amazing show on tv.
I'm sticking to the original, this new one just does not work and never will.

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:37 pm

TOS rules, KR 08 has the potential to be good but first they have to remove the mental midget that is GST, he is killing KR.

HyperCaz
Rookie

Post by HyperCaz » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:36 pm

pheonix_knight wrote:Problem is the original series got cancelled because viewers weren't tuning in any more. The formula stopped working in its original form. The new series is more of homage its 1980's counterpart but also looks to move things on in terms of the mythology and definitely the technology.

I admit, some of the green screening is a little jarring but Knight Rider was always escapism and about suspending disbelief for an hour. The new show is the same.

I like the 'kittcave' and fact that there are more characters now, the only thing i would change is keeping the characters OUT of the car, or at least just stay in the passenger seat...

I'm curious why Sydney is in the title sequence but has actually only featured in Shining Armor, so far and Smith Cho is not but appears as a 'guest star' every week...??
The formula for the new series is one that has been in TV shows since the late 90s, and it's really starting to bore me. In many ways, I wouldn't mind a return to old formula because it would be a change. And besides, styles move in cycles over the decades anyway... :roll:

As for Sydney's disappearance, I'll say it again - TOO MANY CHARACTERS. There is absolutely no room for that many people and they'll have to constantly push certain characters into the shadows just so they can get the story done. And plus, I'm not seeing much character development because of the clutter. Putting aside my preference for just Mike & Kitt as core characters - i.e., even IF the show was to function properly as having a group of people, we'd need to see some development for ALL the characters. They cannot take the easy way out and just ignore characters when it suits them.

Don't know why they couldn't have just done it like Supernatural. At least that formula works.

youbelong
Rookie

Post by youbelong » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:28 am

The original series is cool and better than that of the 2008 and there is the humor and the action and the humanity and michael knight has a stronger personality compared to his son and in every episode ther isno girls who accompanies michael and kitt in their mission :good:

manlai
Rookie

Post by manlai » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:48 pm

Not really a fair comparison, the '82 is like a first love... it's never quite the same afterwards.

That being said, I believe they have the best of intentions for the '08. It seemed to have mostly captured that Knight Rider feeling and I do appreciate the decision to let KI3T's personality develop in front of us rather than as a matter of fact. I do agree that it is very overcrowded - Alex/Revai and Zoe need to go... and possibly either Charles or Billy as well. Maybe keep one of the taskmaster characters Alex/Carrie/Charles and one of the young weirdos Billy/Zoe. Then, we'd have Mike, KI3T, Sarah, 1 boss and 1 weirdo, with guess characters showing up here and there to give orders to the recurring boss character. I think that's a more manageable cast.

As for the SPX, the green screen is a fact of life. Most every show is using it for the idle chatter while driving scenes. I'm sure it cuts down a lot of insurance, fuel, labor costs - as all those things have gotten quite high over the last few years. I certainly love the real stunts of yesteryear, but I can understand why they mostly can't do that anymore. I can live with the CG and don't really count that against the show itself because it really isn't their fault. They're just working with what they have.

All that being said, I think they had much more polished screen talent in the '82 but I haven't written off the '08 cast yet. I think they have potential and I'll wait to see them tackle some more diverse material before passing a more definitive judgment.

youbelong
Rookie

Post by youbelong » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:01 pm

the original theme sound of the original series composed by stu phelpes & glen a larson was great and more better as the 2008 version :kitt:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:06 pm

Personally, I think at least Torres will be gone by the end of either the initial run or the season, maybe Zoe as well since she's his assistant.

Like manlai said, it's not really a fair comparison since most of us grew up with the original series and aside from that the new series has only had three episodes so far, four after tonight. The first three episodes, not counting the pilot/KotP which IMO is still vastly superior to anything KR08 has shown thus far, of the original series weren't exactly the best either, far from it.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:44 pm

Haters comments aside! :roll: a Vs between the old KITT K.R and the new one is not even funny it is the same as comparing a Commodore 64 to a Centrino based top of the line Alienware full tower PC is just no contest. The New KITT simplu cleans the old KITT's clock by far and wide.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:22 pm

PunkMaister wrote: The New KITT simplu cleans the old KITT's clock by far and wide.
I'm not familiar with that expression, but I assume it means you think the new Kitt is better?
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TwilightPro101
Recruit

Post by TwilightPro101 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:11 am

knightofthephoenix wrote:I've had some real reservations about the pilot and the new series (especially when it comes to the original mythology) that I've had no problem expressing here. But it does seem like this cast and crew has the best of intentions. Justin Bruening was a fan of the original and Gary Scott Thompson has been studying the old series. Overall, it's not a bad show and I like it much better than Knight Rider 2000 or Team Knight Rider.

I've been watching each week and will continue to support it.

But Knight Rider 1982 always.
Feel the same.