Turbo Boost

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

MURDOCK
Rookie

Turbo Boost

Post by MURDOCK » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:54 pm

This is how turbo boost should be,its from larsons other great show the fall guy,man those jumps looked cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAIDqyi2 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

n1elkyfan
Recruit

Re: Turbo Boost

Post by n1elkyfan » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:28 pm

I liked the one where the truck went through the panes of glass. What was that show about?

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:36 pm

Well to be honest I have no problem with the trubo boost except that it looks like is ejecting plasma to "jump" and plasma is basically super hot ionized gas and that would most likely end up killing anyone nearby KITT, a pneumatic system (air) sounds like a safer bet than a plasma one, just my opinion anyway. I love the show but I hope that that thing the boost ejects is not plasma though it looks eerily like it...

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:19 pm

I only dislike the fact that entire conversations are taking place while the car is in the air :roll: I don't get that :?: The car appears more like it is flying than jumping when people are talking so long. Other than that it's not bad.......

Knight94
Operative

Post by Knight94 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:24 pm

:kittx: I gotta say I am a Fall Guy fan, and the vid of the jumps was really cool, but you forgot who did
Turbo Boost b4 either KR or FG: the Dukes & the General Lee(DUH).

cajunknight0153
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by cajunknight0153 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:14 am

i have to agree with Knight94 i think the dukes was the first show to do that. unless starsky and hutch did it which idk cuz ive only seen the first 2 seasons and so far, no jumps. but that vid looked like a cross between dukes of hazzard and knight rider. i really like the truck tho.

actually i just realized somethin, dukes was not the first to do that, aren't we forgetting about the Bandit! i'm sure the dukes was the first tv show but i'm pretty sure the bandit was the first to do a jump like that "turbo boost" so to speak

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:10 am

actually the one thing I didn't like about TOS turbo boosts was that quite often the car went nose down and you could see that it was gonna smash on impact. If they can smooth that out with CGI so the car jumps in a smooth arc it'll look better.

I think Dukes actually had weights in the back of the car to stop it from going nose down while jumping.. could never work out why KR didn't think to do that.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:58 pm

Rockatteer wrote:actually the one thing I didn't like about TOS turbo boosts was that quite often the car went nose down and you could see that it was gonna smash on impact. If they can smooth that out with CGI so the car jumps in a smooth arc it'll look better.

I think Dukes actually had weights in the back of the car to stop it from going nose down while jumping.. could never work out why KR didn't think to do that.
Actually even thoug thety made the car jump it never jumped that far or that high in reality, check out Mythbusters they debunked this by repeating the same stunt to see if was possible and the car ended smashing itself when it reached the other end, you would not only need a sistem that catapults you into the air but also allows for a smooth and safe landing...

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:21 pm

Dukes of Hazzard broke several car jump records, and re-set their own.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:24 pm

PunkMaister wrote:
Rockatteer wrote:actually the one thing I didn't like about TOS turbo boosts was that quite often the car went nose down and you could see that it was gonna smash on impact. If they can smooth that out with CGI so the car jumps in a smooth arc it'll look better.

Actually even thoug thety made the car jump it never jumped that far or that high in reality, check out Mythbusters they debunked this by repeating the same stunt to see if was possible and the car ended smashing itself when it reached the other end, you would not only need a sistem that catapults you into the air but also allows for a smooth and safe landing...
It's a well known fact that KR jump and smashed a lot of cars in KR. Thats why they used so many stunt cars.

Heres a youtube video clip which shows some of the landings.. ouch!

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:15 pm

Mythbusters has the habit of doing somethings half assed and sometimes no assed at all, the biggest issue I have with the show is that they go into pretty much everything with the preconceived notion that they're going to bust the myth and end up leaving out several factors in their quest to bust it that might make the myth true. Hell, look at the episode where they ran a car up a ramp onto the back of a semi. They were actually surprised that it worked even though it was clearly done in Knight Rider with no "magic" aside from the expanding insides of the trailer to the set, heh. They certainly did jump the cars (before going to the models) a lot and many times that car certainly did go quite high in the air, which as Rockatteer pointed out, resulted in a lot of smashed cars, specifically the bodies since they did also use different chassis.

There's a good reason why the stunt driver(s) who did the turbo boost stunts f'd up their backs as the result of all the jumps and it wasn't from doing illusions.
Last edited by PHOENIXZERO on Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:17 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote: There's a good reason why the stunt driver(s) who did the turbo boost stunts f'd up their backs as the result of all the jumps and it wasn't from doing illusions.
:D

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:21 pm

Man, I should have reworded that a bit when I went back and edited my post to add a bit more to it. I think "as the result of all the jumps " could be removed, hmm... I think I'll still try to do it.

Then again, nevermind... I don't care. :P
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Stuntman Lee
Rookie

Post by Stuntman Lee » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:46 pm

From watching part 3 of the George Barris video, i dont see why they cant do proper jumps in the new Knight Rider.

As shown in the photos, make up a space from, put a fibreglass/rubber shell over it and as its the 21st century, instead of damaging stuntmens backs, they can use remote control to drive it.

Gotta be easier than pissing about with cgi surely? Even if they did it properly 5 times during the whole season it would be worth it. And appreciated!
:kitt:
Love child of The Hoff.

HyperCaz
Rookie

Post by HyperCaz » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:57 pm

Or if they do it properly 2-3 times and film it - they can repeat those clips over and over, like in the good old days...
BEWARE: shipper alert

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:04 pm

I think we should worry more about the show getting re-commissioned for a second season for now.

They may well just get a bigger budget and can afford to make some stunt cars.

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:40 pm

weeezl wrote:I think we should worry more about the show getting re-commissioned for a second season for now.

They may well just get a bigger budget and can afford to make some stunt cars.
At least let them make the 17 episodes they've been asked for first, then hopefully we can get to 22 and beyond....

I'm looking forward to Ki3t becoming the 2009/10 shape mustang as the series progresses

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:36 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:Mythbusters has the habit of doing somethings half assed and sometimes no assed at all, the biggest issue I have with the show is that they go into pretty much everything with the preconceived notion that they're going to bust the myth and end up leaving out several factors in their quest to bust it that might make the myth true. Hell, look at the episode where they ran a car up a ramp onto the back of a semi. They were actually surprised that it worked even though it was clearly done in Knight Rider with no "magic" aside from the expanding insides of the trailer to the set, heh. They certainly did jump the cars (before going to the models) a lot and many times that car certainly did go quite high in the air, which as Rockatteer pointed out, resulted in a lot of smashed cars, specifically the bodies since they did also use different chassis.

There's a good reason why the stunt driver(s) who did the turbo boost stunts f'd up their backs as the result of all the jumps and it wasn't from doing illusions.
Actually it's just occurred to me that the Mythbusters where probably looking to see if it was in fact possible for a car to jump without being smashed.. in other words if what we saw on the screen could happen in real life.

Not if the cars where jumped while making the show.