Kitt Modes: Wanna talk product placement?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

dcpan
Volunteer

Kitt Modes: Wanna talk product placement?

Post by dcpan » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:51 am

OK, first, I don't work for Ford or NBC or sell cars.

As a "potential" consumer though, here are my thoughts.

Retire the current attack mode. Especially in today's episode, knight of the iguana, the side panels really looked tagged on and cheap.

Really, most average watcher like me can't afford a Shelby 500 KR. So here's your chance.

Make a new attack mode or stealth mode based on the average mustang model.

Here's your excuse, move the scanner from the engine hood for this new mode to prevent potential damage to the scanner.

Add some pieces that's possible for after market alterations, much like the pilot movie where an average joe could afford to purchase a mustang and add some body kits to look like it, and not be afraid to be laughed at when they go to get groceries.

Even better, have an episode where kitt is damaged so bad they decide to have a "car mode" that has MBS.

The possibility is endless. Frankly, I don't mind product placement shows if you make it believable and enjoyable.

Please, make me want to buy a mustang!

Really, wouldn't the pilot "attack" mode make a good "stealth" mode if nothing else?

So far, the regular KITT mode has been the only mode worth looking at in the TV series!

YMMV.

seeker78
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Kitt Modes: Wanna talk product placement?

Post by seeker78 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:30 am

dcpan wrote: Really, most average watcher like me can't afford a Shelby 500 KR. So here's your chance.

Make a new attack mode or stealth mode based on the average mustang model.
I couldn't afford it either, but I couldn't afford a car at all (I make minimum wage). :wink:

My understanding, though, is that a normal Mustang GT can be modified to look like a GT500KR. In fact, I believe that most of the time, the car we are watching on the show is, in fact, a GT that is modified to look like a GT500KR. :)
Please, make me want to buy a mustang!
I agree, that's one of the reasons why using the Mustang is better than using a Camaro; the Mustang is Made in the USA, and if people buy more, they are supporting American jobs.

--Brian

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:48 am

dcpan wrote:Please, make me want to buy a mustang!
Well now wait a second. That is NOT the show's job and that's what so many of us have been complaining about. This show is NOT a Ford commercial it's Knight Rider. At least its supposed to be. Now I have no qualms with them calling it a Mustang, it's certainly better than the "black t-top," but why do want the show to make you want a Mustang?

Did you watch the old show? Even back when they called it a Trans Am, all the logos had been stripped from it. Not they've apparently replaced the Knight chess piece with the freaking cobra which is bad enough as it is. Go to a Ford dealer and let them make you want a Mustang.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

ex812
Recruit

Post by ex812 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:54 am

Guys Give it a rest. I agree I prefer the Knight Symbol as it makes more sense for Knight Industries. This show is sponsored by FORD!!!!! They are going to play up that angle any chance they get and I am fine with it. The original show was not sponsored by Pontiac and they even told them to stop refering to KITT as a Trans Am. Without Ford we might not even have a new Knight Rider. On the other note, yes you can modify a stock mustang to look like a GT500KR with minimal work. The bumper is about 500 dollars.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:59 am

I doubt that, the producers already said that other car companies came forward, Ford just made the best offer. There would be the new Knight Rider either way. I'm not complaining that KITT's a Ford, I just wholeheartedly disagree that the show should be a Ford commercial. Every car in the show is already a Ford. And if it isn't, you know immediately that the car will blow up or be otherwise destroyed by the end of the episode.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:00 am

Funny, I've wanted the Mustang since its redesign was introduced a couple years ago. I was never fond of the 90's version (the one they used for Domino) but when this design came out, it looked diesel and "classic" enough to whet my car appetite. I wish I could afford one. I joked with a friend that if I was mega rich I'd buy one in 7 colors, one for each day of the week. :)

If you really want to "want" the car, just go to a Ford dealership and test drive one. I was in a parking lot in the summer and parked right next to a black Mustang. It was pristine and when the guy started up his engine, that thing purred like no one's business. Just made me wish I could afford one even more! :)
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

dcpan
Volunteer

Post by dcpan » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:51 am

Yes, I did watch the old show.

No need to get pissy guys. It is what it is, product placement. To say it isn't is deluding yourself. Japanese Anime has been making product placement cartoons for 40 plus years now. What did you think GI Joe or He-Man was for American cartoons?

I'm not saying I want a mustang. I'm simply saying since you want to do product placement, you might as well do a better job of it.

And I doubt the Shelby Hood for the scanner and the painting of the stripes is under $500.

YMMV.

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:14 pm

dcpan wrote: So far, the regular KITT mode has been the only mode worth looking at in the TV series!
Amen to that!!!