Please tell me I'm wrong on this...

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

walter h. anderson
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Please tell me I'm wrong on this...

Post by walter h. anderson » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:55 pm

I have a deep feeling that the new series won't last too long. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the series very much, but......something just doesn't feel right about it. I'm glad that some of the core elements from KR82 are still in place (KITT still being run by micro-processors, turbo boost, auto pilot, and KITT being able to speak) but some of the stuff that is being shown seems too far out there (like the most obvious fact that KITT transforms to a truck...just like the Viper transforms) and the object generator. I do hope Universal doesn't make the same mistakes that led to the fall of TKR.
If you don't make a difference, you are not the Knight Rider.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Re: Please tell me I'm wrong on this...

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:38 pm

Well, after seeing the rating Heroes got last night (thanks Knight316) I think that if KR holds steady it'll likely get picked up for a full run and then if it still holds on there, I'm sure it'll get a second season. The object generator isn't as far out there as one might think, at least in the way it was presented in the last episode. As for the transforming, it seems like I'm in the minority with not minding it, it really doesn't remind me of Viper since how it was done in that show was rather different, IIRC. I'm going to have to check and see if there's any videos up on YouTube for it.

EDIT: Okay, that wasn't hard to find, just from looking at the old pilot version, I guess a bit though the version used in KR now is a lot more busy and a big less grounded in reality. Though Viper wasn't too grounded with it either.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:02 pm

I think with todays poor performance ratings wise on all TV Shows, not just Knight Rider - KR has a good a shot as any. I don't think there is any ruler to gauge this on, since we've never seen a season be so effected by a strike before. Will be interesting...

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:26 pm

neps wrote:I think with todays poor performance ratings wise on all TV Shows, not just Knight Rider - KR has a good a shot as any. I don't think there is any ruler to gauge this on, since we've never seen a season be so effected by a strike before. Will be interesting...
All the ratings are quite low are'nt they?

I was thinking this also, once the damning reviews calm down, numbers should pick up and more people will watch it. The jump in quality from the 1st to the 2nd episode was impressive and Im really hoping they get better each week, once all they actors settle into their roles and they iron out the small bugs. Episode 2 to me was much more like the classic we all love so much and I'm hoping it goes from strength to strength, heres to Knight Rider being successful! cheers! :good:

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:23 pm

Television as a whole seems like it has seen better days. This article: http://www.cinemablend.com/television/W ... 12540.html discusses Monday night ratings being down overall. It seems to be a trend.

This doesn't surprise me. Nowadays most people I know don't actually watch TV, but rather stream it on PC's or DVR it. Unfortunately, I don't believe the antiquated Nielsen system has the ability to take these numbers into account yet.

Also, the bad word of mouth via several reviews online didn't help. Never mind that half of these reviews are pure rubbish and some clearly show the writer didn't even pay attention to the TV show, bad mouthing will always have some affect on ratings (though it can go up or down). In this case I'm sure more than a few people have not tuned in because USAToday or other sites didn't like it. That's sad because I think people are missing out on a bundle of fun.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

walter h. anderson
FLAG Recruit

Post by walter h. anderson » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:38 am

I hope things do turn around so KR08 lasts a long time. I do have to admit I forgot how close the last episode was to KR82 where KITT seemed to be learning more about working with humans. I thought the crack about comparing Mike to a horse was pure genious.
If you don't make a difference, you are not the Knight Rider.

ex812
Recruit

Post by ex812 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:17 pm

I agree those things are extremely far fetched, but did you actually watch the original series?????? KITT did things that were so far fetched. He made dice roll certain numbers in Goliath, not trick dice, regular dice. He would unlock mechanical locks. He made a lamp move somehow. Those things are just as or more far fetched than anything the new show is doing.

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:18 pm

ex812 wrote:I agree those things are extremely far fetched, but did you actually watch the original series?????? KITT did things that were so far fetched. He made dice roll certain numbers in Goliath, not trick dice, regular dice. He would unlock mechanical locks. He made a lamp move somehow. Those things are just as or more far fetched than anything the new show is doing.
KR has always been far fetched for it's time.It's also far fectched for this time as well.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Glissard
Recruit

Post by Glissard » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:02 am

Look, I know a lot of people are bashing the show. I've got my problems too. However, we haven't had a Knight Rider spin off yet that has been this good. I hope it succeeds and GST gets to tell his story. He seem generally interested in the Knight Rider universe and he'll make good on it in the long run. So I for one am happy to see Knight Rider back on the air in general, and I hope this one is interesting and exciting enough to continue. It's this or nothing else for another decade or so. Personally. I'd like to see where this one is going and hope it has a successful run. Please note I grew up with the 80's Knight Rider but in the long run of negativity, I'm glad to have it back on prime time. I hope some people agree.

lucusjer
Stranger

Post by lucusjer » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:30 pm

I think the show will last. I am still a bit lost on how all the different versions like tkr do or do not work together. But regardless the truck transformation looks like the attack beast regardless. Glad I wasn't the only one to catch that. If I remember right the new show has made mention of FLAG but seems to be separate from it. So why couldn't both organizations be operating about the same time even. I sure how it will last but I had wanted tkr to go longer too.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:50 pm

Simple, TKR and KR2000 don't exist. ;)
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:08 pm

I hope it lasts.

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:14 pm

Sadly I don't think it will last because the fundamentals have been tossed aside once again, KR is about one man and his car and the car is the star not the humans. This show is about a man, his former love interest, her dad, a dubious mission boss, two tech geeks and lastly a car.

TKR and KR2000 also missed the point but from what I can remember KR 2010 came close to the theme of one man and his car even though it had nothing to do with TOS and was otherwise a piece of crap and what's with Knight junior and Zoe sleeping together. Is this what they have to do in order to bring in an audience truly pathetic ,maybe next week old man Graiman can have a go at Zoe and then she can tossed around the SSC going from guy to guy.

The pilot felt much more like KR because a least they tried to make an emotional connection between the audience and characters, I liked the funeral scene and the part where Mike got out of the K3000 after the SUV hit them and he looks at the car in awe because it is undamaged.

Lastly this KITT does not give the impression the it is unstoppable or indestructible at all and seems kind of weak and vulnerable, in a head to head confrontation the K2000 would obliterate this sissy mobile. All the people who make this show probably think that one man and his car theme is old and not worth doing then don't make it at all or call it something else and leave the real KR in our memories.

lucusjer
Stranger

Post by lucusjer » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:44 am

I do understand the one man and his car theme from the old knight rider but there was more to it then that. There was a specific enemy that was themed throughout too that the two together faced off against. TKR had started making that happen when it got cut. And there is still room for that to happen now. We have seen the new KITT involved in small ways with things that in the long run may lead to its bigger importance in making it the two man team its suppose to be. Though admittedly, right now it looks like the arching bad guys would be ghosts from Mike's past but there might also be connections with Knight Industries which could be important and be tied in with KITT