Which transformation style do you prefer?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Which transformation style do you prefer

Nano-tech (from the pilot movie)
29%
Mechanical (from current episodes)
29%
Combination of both might be cool
43%

Total votes: 49

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Which transformation style do you prefer?

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:48 am

I've just finished watching some of the Pilot movie and I have to admit the way they did the Nano-transformation does look pretty kewl. Which got me to wondering which transformation style the rest of the fans prefer.

I was just thinking about what the race scene transformation to attack mode in Journey to the End of Knight would have looked like if they used the Pilot's nano-transformation. And I think it might actually look better than the mechanical transformation.

Maybe even a combination of both where the Nano transform is used for altering panel shapes etc and the mechanical transform is used for when panels need to be moved/removed. This could mean the attack mode transformation would have the wheels transform mechanically as they do now, while the rest of the car is nano-transforming and maybe the back air wing could nano-transfer to it's attack-mode shape and then mechanically raise to it's attack hight.

These are just ideas for the fun of it. I'm not saying I want to see these changes in the show, or that I'm not happy with the current transformation. Just throwing other fun ideas around for transformation styles.

Whats everyone else reckon?
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Re: Which transformation style do you prefer?

Post by Garthe Knight » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:23 am

I actually like the current mechanical transformation better. But I would prefer a more subtle and realistic transformation, no switching, swapping, flying fenders that look the same after the transformation. This makes it unbelievable, because no engineer would develop such a mechanism.
Yeah, I am a fan of fictional realism :wink:

Hardkore
Volunteer

Post by Hardkore » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:54 am

I really like like the pilot show better. It flows more smoothly. The series transformation seems a bit clunky. I am kinda curious what a combo of the two would be like tho'.

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:25 am

I enjoy the current show's transformation, but would not mind seeing a combination of the two. It would help bridge the gap of believability that so many people are up in arms about when KITT becomes the truck. Most people are complaining about mass, but as we saw in "Journey", KITT clearly has some type of extra mass stored somewhere, and the "morph" effect over some armor panels might help give that visual cue that not only are panels shifting, but they're morphing simultaneously.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:13 pm

I do like the mechanical transformation better, but to be fair, the nano transform in the pilot was far smoother. The CG was better utilized in the nano transform than in the mechanical transform, or maybe the latter is simply more diffcult to create than the former one.
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:05 pm

The new one. The magical appearance of body parts out of shimmering on the car's skin bugged me to no end.

Love the attack mode transformation. Still not too hot about the 4x4 though.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:31 pm

I voted for "Nano-tech (from the pilot movie)." Although we didn't see all that much done with the morphing in the backdoor pilot (basically the car just changed colors), I do think it's a lot more grounded to reality and down to Earth. The nanomorphing technique also helps separate the effects and transformations from the Transformers film.

I am one that's also not very fond of K.I.T.T. being able to morph into a Ford F-150. Not only for the issues of mass and how the truck bed can become the Mustang's interior, but also for the fact that it's a blatant rip-off of Transformers.

Yes, it's cool that the car now appears to have both the nanotechnology and the ability to transform, but I would have rather seen morphing more similar to the way it was used on Viper. At least that show isn't as well-known as Transformers, plus the fact that the morphing could be expanded to other vehicles of the same size as opposed to only different colored Mustangs. If the other vehicles can only be other Ford vehicles that's fine. My main concern would be keeping the vehicle around the same mass.

The transforming is cool, but being able to turn into a truck with flipping parts that seem to come out of nowhere doesn't make much sense to me. I also think K.I.T.T. should never be a truck no matter what form he's in. The transforming also somewhat contradicts the in-depth nanotechnology emphasis in the backdoor pilot and now comes off more like the producers didn't realize the difference between morphing and transforming.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

Post by krfan1 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:34 pm

I think a combo of both would be cool. Keep the mechanical transformation, but have KI3T change his color or part of his body to disguise himself (like in the pilot). I feel it would also show the fans that the nanotech can be changed according to the task at hand. I feel KI3T should be able to change his color and body parts minimally like in the pilot. However, for something as transforming into the shape of a different vehicle (like the F-150), that may need to have a "program" written for it as Sarah did in 'A Knight In Shining Armor."

-krfan1

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:38 pm

I like the mechanical style as well, it's much more exciting visually than what was done in the backdoor pilot even with the ridiculousness of it. :D Besides, as time goes on and if we get a full run or second season, the effects will likely evolve to make it look better and better.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

KnightCrusader99
Operative

Post by KnightCrusader99 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:04 pm

The main reason I like the new transformation is because it is quick, and it reminds me of the transformation of the original KITT to Super Pursuit Mode. The Pilot version was cool too, and I wouldn't mind seeing that effect again for changing colors on the fly.

Taichi
Rookie

Post by Taichi » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:31 pm

Nano-tech. I really liked the fluidity of it... but I can live with what we have... just get rid of the truck.

dcpan
Volunteer

Post by dcpan » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:23 pm

The transformation is very Viper-esque, which I liked.

That said, lose the truck mode...Viper Defender's 4x4 mode was way cooler.

Knight94
Operative

Post by Knight94 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:45 pm

:kittx: While there's a certain mechanical coolness to the current transformation style, I really like the
fluid-like morphing of the pilot. The nanotech does allow a certain flexibility, that might allow both, but
my fave is the morphing style of the pilot.
:kitt:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:06 pm

Just to add one more minor thing: I also think that the "pumping blood" look of the scanner has a very organic quality to it which I think complements the nanomorphing effect quite nicely.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

xmguy
Rookie

Post by xmguy » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:41 pm

Garthe Knight wrote:I actually like the current mechanical transformation better. But I would prefer a more subtle and realistic transformation, no switching, swapping, flying fenders that look the same after the transformation. This makes it unbelievable, because no engineer would develop such a mechanism.
Yeah, I am a fan of fictional realism :wink:
I agree. When I see the transforming of KI3T I want to cringe. I want to see something that is believable. Really I'd rather the car not transform at all. KI2T did not transform (outside of SPM) and he did ok. If KI3T had a similer method that was believable. Then it would help. That is my one and only gripe so far.
LOYAL Knight Rider fan since 1995
:spmgo:

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit

Post by MR2NR » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:10 pm

The Nanobytes really made KI3T look stealthy and the scanner really looked good when it popped out of the hood in the pilot. I think we will see more of it later on but I think in the pilot it was experimental and maybe the reason KI3T was so easily hacked in the pilot. I don't believe KI3t has been shot yet in the series showing him fixing himself so not much Nanotech has been shown. But with both Graimans background I'd say we will def see more. Another reason it wasn't used is attack mode, it is quite a change from the 500KR so I don't think it would look good without tons of man hours and it would take 5 min to transform that much :). The car is more vulnerable now to add in the defenses KI3T will get later on. Still waiting for an ejector seat :).
K.R.A.M. Knight Reformulation Automated Machine 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo.

To the people who made the Knight Rider Festival possible especially Paul Casey. Thank You! See you all and more in 2012 :kitt2:

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:20 pm

They have shown a few bullet self-repairs on the windshield in the first two episodes when he's being shot at.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

TriComEMS2401
Volunteer

Post by TriComEMS2401 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:18 am

I would have to say I def. liked the nano style better. Mechanical just looks to much like a knock-off from Viper. Maybe a mix of the 2 would be pretty cool.

:dash4:

jaimetheking
Operative

Post by jaimetheking » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:45 am

Yes! Get rid of the F-150.

Ki2t did fine in rough terrain.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:53 am

I have to admit I was one of the people who voiced in favor of a more mechanical transformation thinking that a "viper-like" transformation with subtle panel movements and transformations would be better than the "wave effect" they showed in the pilot movie.

However I think the producers have gone over the top with the mechanical transformation and we basically have a transformer rip-off.

I remember when news of a new show was first put out, and we heard about the idea that Kitt would be able to morph, everyone threw up their arms and said "Kitt's not and shouldn't be a transformer!"

And look at the poll at the top of this thread. A total of 71% of voters prefer some form of nano transformation (combination or completely nano) over the current mechanical. I hope the producers will at least think about it.

I think a combination would obviously be the quickest for them to change becasue they could leave some of the stuff they've already done in place.

I guess the other side of the coin is that they actually want to look like a transformer in the hope of pulling in fans of the transformer movie.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dag268
Rookie

Post by dag268 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:54 am

I dont really like either. I prefer the mechanical style of the original when kitt had the super pursuit mode. If Kitt 3000 was in hero mode and the the attack car was the same as the hero with mechanical additions that were realistic I would be happy.

viper_defender
Recruit

Post by viper_defender » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:35 pm

A hybrid system would look cool, much like the earlier Viper system, but admittedly the "Viper" system is now a bit dated since the car could change into different colors. I still say loose the truck and give the car larger off-road tires and call it a day, also lose the dragula look make attack mode look more street ready only bring out the drag mode when it has to be used. Pitty we didnt see ki3t go sub mode.
Knight Rider 1984
Viper 1994
Knight Rider 2008
Men and Machines that make a Difference!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRzKrzXod6Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; See how the Morph!

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:47 am

viper_defender wrote:. Pitty we didnt see ki3t go sub mode.
if by sub you mean submarine, they showed that in knight of the iguana, after kitt was hit by the missle, the next shot showed him underwater. --Brian

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:11 am

I don't think either is needed.

I really don't.

Goldwings
Rookie

Post by Goldwings » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:27 am

Does anyone have a clip of the nano transformation scene from the movie? My DVR died and I was unable to watch it :(