Nanotech confusion!

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Nanotechnology has replaced the MBS in KR08. What's your opinion?

It's great that they're using nano instead of MBS!
71%
Not working. Makes the whole thing look like a videogame!
29%
They should use something else!
No votes

Total votes: 28

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Nanotech confusion!

Post by Knight-Armen » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:49 am

Rockatteer - Very simple. Digital graphics as in digital illusions, CGI or animations.

Okay, for all of you that do not understand I'll explain it again. They're using nanotechnology (or nanotech if you will) instead of MBS, right?
Now, when the car turbo boosts they use CGI instead of a reallife jump from a ramp. On the other hand when Ki3t gets shot at, the producers claim to be using nanotechnology in order to protect the car from the bullets.

My question is whether that is real nanotechnology they're using or not?
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

nextelbuddy
Recruit

Post by nextelbuddy » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:22 pm

no, there is absolutely no REAL nanotechnology used in the show at all. everything CGI and the car used in the show has real black paint nothing special.

anytime you hear nanotech in the show its just part of the show and science fiction in the show and thats where it stops, absolutely nothing nanotech wise is anywhere near the car in real life or on the set.

cajunknight0153
Operative

Post by cajunknight0153 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:43 pm

i didn't vote anything cuz i didnt like any of the answers, my opinion: i like the nanotech, but i miss MBS, i think i like MBS better

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:28 pm

Your vote seem to go both ways and we can't have that.
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:58 pm

Knight-Armen wrote:Rockatteer - Very simple. Digital graphics as in digital illusions, CGI or animations.

Okay, for all of you that do not understand I'll explain it again. They're using nanotechnology (or nanotech if you will) instead of MBS, right?
Now, when the car turbo boosts they use CGI instead of a reallife jump from a ramp. On the other hand when Ki3t gets shot at, the producers claim to be using nanotechnology in order to protect the car from the bullets.

My question is whether that is real nanotechnology they're using or not?
Dude. It's science fiction man!
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:26 pm

Dude. It's science fiction man!
No, you're kidding! Really?

Why do you think they would make such a big fuzz about something if it's all fiction?

According to seeker78 there is:

Yes, there is nanotechnology. There is nanotech armor, nanotech solar panels, nanotech gears, etc. They are even working on nanotech room temperature superconductors. But nanotechnology has not been developed to the point that we have coatings where you could fire a bullet at it and it heals in under a second. So, yes, of course the bullets bouncing off the car is a special effect! It was a special effect in the 80s too, man! Unless you're suggesting that they used a 1982 trans am that had been refitted with high density steel plating!

I'm pretty sure that the original poster realizes that both the MBS and the nanotech coating are elements of science fiction and neither car shown on either series is actually bulletproof.

I actually do think that nanotechnology is superior to MBS coating. The MBS coating cannot be reconfigured to new situations and can't change the color of the car for stealth and even invisibility. For example, if a truck goes by and sprays on a chemical meant to dissolve the coating, nanotechnology can be configured in real time to resist it, whereas the MBS would simply be dissolved.

But nanotech is a buzzword in the high tech world/silicon valley these days. For example, there is a company called nanosolar which has invented a process of making ultrathin, flexible solar panels comprised of nanoscale particles. The coating can be sprayed onto flexible metal the way an inkjet printer sprays ink onto paper. The factory they are building here in Silicon Valley will be the highest volume solar panel production plant in the world.

Nanotech solar ink

--Brian

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:31 pm

seeker78 wrote:But nanotechnology has not been developed to the point that we have coatings where you could fire a bullet at it and it heals in under a second. So, yes, of course the bullets bouncing off the car is a special effect!
I think the Nanotechnology used in KR is devised around Nano-machines which are controlled by Kitt? Where-as real world nanotech is mostly working with materials and chemicals at an almost atomic level to create new materials/chemicals. So as seeker pointed out, the self healing skin is science fiction.

Heres the "official" list of products currently using nanotechnology
Project on emerging Nanotechnologies Database

And heres the Wikipedia entry so you can read up on it yourself.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:47 am

Okay! But what about when Ki3t transforms into another vehicle, is that also special effects?

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:43 pm

NO. They have a Ford Shelby that can actually transform into other vehicles.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:48 pm

Don't be sarcastic! What I meant was if it's special effects or nanotechnology?

Now, nextelbuddy says there is no nanotechnology in the show whatsoever and what do you say about that?

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:09 pm

ok I'm gonna take a shot at what you actually mean here, becasue your terminology of special effects or nanotech is still a bit confusing to me becasue of course it's special effects. Non of the transformation is actually real it's all CGI.

But I think you mean within the storyline of knight rider is it suppose to still be a Nano transformation like the pilot was?

according to what teh SFX guys say in this video, yes it is, they just decided that the mechanical tranformation looks cooler.

I think a lot of your questions are answered in the this behind the scenes exclusive . Go take a look, it's very interesting.

SacValleyDweller
Recruit

Post by SacValleyDweller » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:25 am

Knight-Armen, I think you'd do us all a lot of good if you'd establish the perspective of your question. Are you asking about what's going on inside the fictional Universe of KR (In-Universe perspective) or are you asking about what's going on in the real world to make what we see (Real World perspective)?

If your question is from the Real World perspective: it's a no brainer that it's Special Effects. I don't think you are asking this question, though. (at least I hope not Image)

I think what you are asking about is what's going on In-Universe. Am I correct?
--SVD
(-
=)

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:02 am

Rockatteer - Your first two sentences answered my question!

SacValleyDweller - Sorry to disappoint you but what I actually am referring to is from a Real World perspective. I totally get that it's a no brainer-question and if that made you guys a little confused, I apologize for that but when they actually told us that they're using nanotechnology it made it sound like it was a real life event or science if you will and of course I didn't believe it. But then I started thinking, why they keep talking about nanotechnology when it's all sci-fi?

This is were you guys enter the picture!

There is no real nanotechnology in the series (seen from a Real World perspective), it's all CGI!

Yes, there is nanotechnology in the series (seen from a In-Universe perspective)!

Conclusion: it's all CGI (seen from a Real World perspective) and nanotechnology (from a In-Universe perspective).

I thought this was a clear and obvious question in my topic but I see the confusion. Similarly, it doesn't mean that I (according to Lost Knight) was confused in my own topic! He lot didn't understand the question which made him confused and I guess that applied to some of you guys too.

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:19 pm

To be perfectly fair Armen,

I don’t think it’s a simple case of your question confusing people, because you simply didn’t communicate your intent all that well. The key to avoiding all of this confusion is for us to communicate our intent from the get-go, instead of laying the blame onto others for the misunderstandings that we ourselves have in fact caused.

You really need to keep this in mind when you’re raising the various different points that are confusing you. :good:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:30 pm

Well, I hope my previous post made it clear as to what I was looking for. :D

I didn't get the complexity of it until SacValleyDweller gave me a hint of adding a perspective to my question which would make it easier for you lot to understand.

No hard feelings from earlier disagreements, right?

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:06 pm

Nah, we're cool, :good:

We're all on the learning curve of life after all, so we're bound to make mistakes from time to time. :lol:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

SacValleyDweller
Recruit

Post by SacValleyDweller » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:50 pm

I'm glad I could help Armen! :D

And you can call me SVD for short if you like.

Edit to add: A tip for you, Be sure to establish the perspective of your comments and questions if confusion is or may be generated by your posts.
--SVD
(-
=)

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:49 am

Thanks for your help SVD and for future references I'll be sure to include a "perspective" in questions like this to avoid misunderstandings. :D

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:26 pm

Again what the new Knight Rider uses has more to do with claytronics than anything else when it comes to the so called 3D printer that printed the key in the 2nd episode take a look at Fabbers 8)

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:24 pm

PunkMaister wrote:Again what the new Knight Rider uses has more to do with claytronics than anything else when it comes to the so called 3D printer that printed the key in the 2nd episode take a look at Fabbers 8)
What does the 3D printer have to do with the Nanotech?

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:42 pm

SacValleyDweller wrote:Im confused by all this bickering!

Is or was someone in this thread saying any of the following?

1) Nanotech (as presented on the show) =/= Nanotech

2) "Nanotech", as presented on the show, is really the show's version of another technology entirely

3) "Nanotech", as presented on the show, is just an illusion in-show. Ki3t is actually masking heavy damage and it's still there.
Claytronics is basically the lattest thing being researched in Nanotechnoloy, Nano means basically something microspic even to the molecular level whether molelular level engines, robots or in the case of K.R tons of Atoms or CATOMS that can be programmed to assume just about any shape you can think off...

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:31 pm

PunkMaister wrote:

2) "Nanotech", as presented on the show, is really the show's version of another technology entirely

3) "Nanotech", as presented on the show, is just an illusion in-show. Ki3t is actually masking heavy damage and it's still there.
Claytronics is basically the lattest thing being researched in Nanotechnoloy, Nano means basically something microspic even to the molecular level whether molelular level engines, robots or in the case of K.R tons of Atoms or CATOMS that can be programmed to assume just about any shape you can think off...
Well thats all well and good, but it doesn't even come close to answering the question you quoted.

SacValley.. I think the answer to your question was, no to all 3. The OP was asking if real NanoTech was used in the production of the show.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:22 pm

Rockatteer wrote:
PunkMaister wrote:

Well thats all well and good, but it doesn't even come close to answering the question you quoted.

SacValley.. I think the answer to your question was, no to all 3. The OP was asking if real NanoTech was used in the production of the show.
What? :o :shock: :o No man Nanotech is still pretty much in it's infancy right now just as most of the tech depicted in the classic 80's show was as well. The visual FX are CG obviously but the technical aspects that the show entails are very much cutting edge today's based research, that is what characterized the classic show with it's information superhighway use and I'm glad the current one is following the same angle... 8)

SacValleyDweller
Recruit

Post by SacValleyDweller » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:25 pm

Rockatteer wrote:...

I know that now, were all good, I get it! 8) :good:

The OP just forgot to clarify his perspective, which generated all the whatever you call it back there
--SVD
(-
=)