BAD NEWS!!!! Actors Move Toward Strike Vote

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: BAD NEWS!!!! Actors Move Toward Strike Vote

Post by cloudkitt » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:44 pm

SAG would be really stupid to strike now. Because they would really have to not want jobs if they're willing to pummel their industry for the second year in a row.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:01 am

cloudkitt wrote:SAG would be really stupid to strike now. Because they would really have to not want jobs if they're willing to pummel their industry for the second year in a row.
There's also the possibility that this is all just a stunt to spook the industry into getting what they want, too.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

SacValleyDweller
Recruit

Post by SacValleyDweller » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:45 am

Let's not go off half cocked!

As far as I know from what I read here at 9thwonders.com from our resident mole in Hollywood, the latest developments are only that SAG leadership is gonna see if there is support from members for a strike.
PetrelliByNature, the Hollywood mole at 9thwonders.com wrote: As for a strike, again, this is only for SAG members to approve a strike if absolutely necessary. First, the members of SAG would have to approve a strike as an option, and only then could the Negotiating Committee advise a call for a strike if needed.

Honestly, given the current economy and the fact that Hollywood is just now staring to recover from the Writer's Strike, it's my opinion that SAG would be stupid to strike. Also, I haven't heard anything from my contacts, and that can only be a good sign.

~PbN.
--SVD
(-
=)

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:32 am

Matthew, there is no need to get furious with me just because I have an opinion. How I choose to defend my arguments is not governed by you or anyone else and whatever article I include should be treated with constructive critisism, not with anger and multiple threats to delete them.

Having that said, I'm very surprised that you thought I was ignoring your request of keeping this discussion related to the topic. I wasn't ignoring, in fact I wanted to continue the very same discussion I started with.
I'm not sure of how you communicate with people in real life but calling me blatant and ignorant when I actually started my post with " - With all due respect..." to a guy only six years older than myself is just portraying your own policy in decency!

"but this kind of *?$# really does my head in" - really? I wonder if you are this polite to people in general?
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

FordFilly82
Operative

Post by FordFilly82 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:58 am

All I have to say on the subject is that to even *consider* a Strike now, after what happened last year, is neanerthal-like and beyond the most stupid thing I have come across in Hollywood in years!

But should it happen (dear God, no), then I will most likely be turning off my TV. I'm so far behind on ones I liked anyway, it wouldn't hurt me to turn off the boob tube! ;P
Efficient Morphing Mobile Autonomy
KITT: There are not enough hours in the day for me to list everything that confuses you.
Mike: Oh, snap!
Kitt: Yes, Micheal. Snap.

Petition #2507

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:47 am

Not to be a debbie downer, or anything, but over at comicbloc forums, there's a topic on the television board about which shows are likely to get cancelled, and "KR" is on the list.
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:17 am

KRAvengerII wrote:Not to be a debbie downer, or anything, but over at comicbloc forums, there's a topic on the television board about which shows are likely to get cancelled, and "KR" is on the list.
What is that based on however? Official NBC documents? "Insider information"? Their own personal hopes? I'd be curious to see that considering the latest statements on this board that NBC was pleased that ep 2's numbers were good.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:20 am

Knight-Armen wrote:What do you mean? Do you have a problem with me expressing my opinions?

I want to have my say about the articles too...
I think, Armen, that in your post you addressed a review on the series - which does not relate to the SAG strike and the reasons for the strike or how it will affect the show. As others have stated, there are plenty of review threads right now that link to and discuss the reviews. Nowhere in the article you posted does Mr. Bianco mention the strike or its potential effect on the TV show.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:22 am

goldbug wrote:
KRAvengerII wrote:Not to be a debbie downer, or anything, but over at comicbloc forums, there's a topic on the television board about which shows are likely to get cancelled, and "KR" is on the list.
What is that based on however? Official NBC documents? "Insider information"? Their own personal hopes? I'd be curious to see that considering the latest statements on this board that NBC was pleased that ep 2's numbers were good.
basically it was a chart that showed the shows that have premiered, and their chances of getting cancelled. I don't know where it came from, originially.
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:43 am

I think, Armen, that in your post you addressed a review on the series - which does not relate to the SAG strike and the reasons for the strike or how it will affect the show. As others have stated, there are plenty of review threads right now that link to and discuss the reviews. Nowhere in the article you posted does Mr. Bianco mention the strike or its potential effect on the TV show.
You're right, there is nothing about a strike in the article. Nevertheless, I still think there is a connection between a strike and how it affects the viewers.

Taken strictly from the article - Actors Move Toward Strike:

"...but industry itself is currently on shaky ground. New television shows that got a rough start last season due to the writers' strike – such as Pushing Daisies and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - are down in the ratings and struggling for viewers as networks work to bring the audience back to their sets."
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:18 pm

If last years strike does have any effect on the current situation, it is actually helpful to KR.

That's because it reduces expectations at the network, and makes these not-so-hot ratings acceptable. When, due to last years' strike, EVERYONE'S numbers are down, KR's numbers start to look decent. They look for different things in the numbers rather than just the ratings--they look for week-to-week and 1/2 hour to 1/2 hour improvement, which they got, and where the show falls relative to it's competition, which is favorable.

The looming SAG strike has NO effect on the show at this point, as far as I can tell. The actors will be done with their 13 episodes within a month. I'd say the chances are very good that they will get the entire initial run 'in the can' before anything could happen.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:38 pm

In addition to having all the episodes "in the can," there will also likely be the occasional repeat, which may extend the show's run longer than if we were to get a new episode every week. So if a strike does occur, the repeats may buy some more time in the season to still have new episodes premiere. A strike might also give the writers time to regroup and perhaps adjust some of the show's complaints more thoroughly.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4: