Overnight Nielsons for Journey to the End of Knight

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Overnight Nielsons for Journey to the End of Knight

Post by neps » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:30 am

Knight Rider got a 4.6/7 - which is down from last week though it actually puts it in 2nd place for the night.

Bones - 6.7/11
Knight Rider - 4.6/7
Gary Unmarried (half hour) - 4.6/7
New Adventures of Old Christine (half hour) - 4.5/7
Pushing Daises - 4.3/7

from tvbythenumbers.com
Early Nielsen Ratings: Pushing Daisies Six Feet Under

Posted on 02 October 2008 by Robert Seidman

In the early metered market numbers, CBS looks poised to win the night in overall viewers by a wide margin. crime procedurals worked for CBS with Criminal Minds getting a 9.9/15 (household rating/share) and CSI: NY pulling a 9.5/16. Unfortunately the 8pm comedy block isn’t working out well with The New Adventures of Old Christine pulling a 4.5/7 and Gary Unmarried a 4.6/7.

None of the returning ABC dramas fared well at all with Pushing Daisies netting a 4.3/7 (worse than Knight Rider’s 4.6.7). Private Practice scored a 5.3/8 at 9pm - a distant third behind NBC’s America’s Got Talent (7.6/12) and the aforementioned Criminal Minds. Dirty Sexy Money’s debut at 10pm drew a 4.6/8, and the only good thing to say about that is it outperformed Lipstick Jungle’s 4.2/7 on NBC.

With the exception of the CBS comedies which may get a longer leash, look for every show on ABC last night to be on a very short leash. Same for Lipstick Jungle and Knight Rider over on NBC.

Meanwhile it was good news/bad news over at Fox. Bones won the 8pm hour with a 6.7/11, and surely will win the demos as well, but at 9pm it was a full hour of ‘Til Death (one half hour replacing the already cancelled Do Not Disturb) which scored a mere 2.9/5. Ouch.

America’s Next Top Model pulled a 3.3/5 at 8pm on the CW, and a repeat of 90210 got a 1.5/2.

(here are last weeks numbers for reference http://knightrideronline.com/news/2008/ ... _after.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Radicalas
Operative

Re: Overnight Nielsons for Journey to the End of Knight

Post by Radicalas » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:38 am

It's bad :( I don't understand how Bones could win over Knight Rider, there's nothing to watch in Bones.

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:49 am

Ouch? Is it the show that is wrong or maybe the Nielsen's system is rigged.
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

TallSox08
Volunteer

Post by TallSox08 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:59 am

That surprises me, reactions to the second episode have been generally positive. Well, maybe word of mouth will help build an audience.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:11 am

We will have to wait to see the demographic breakdown - but this doesn't scream 'bad' to me. Not great, but not 'bad'.

- It was number 2 for the night against a popular returning series.
- It did better than the season premier of a returning series
- .3 drop is not earth shattering, when clearly there just wasn't alot of people watching TV last night

The problem with the show now I feel is that the critics slammed or didn't get the series, so there was alot of negative press. At this point, people need to spread the word if they enjoyed it as well as possibly having some articles written to say - 'wait, this isn't as bad as I feared.'

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:18 am

neps wrote:The problem with the show now I feel is that the critics slammed or didn't get the series, so there was alot of negative press. At this point, people need to spread the word if they enjoyed it as well as possibly having some articles written to say - 'wait, this isn't as bad as I feared.'
Can KRO do something about this or contribute in any way, Neil? Make an article in a magazine perhaps?

Because the way I see it, weeks after weeks there will only be constant bashings of this Knight Rider show. They failed to see the progress the show is making. It is slow, yes, but it is steady and going towards the right direction, we can see it just now from the 2nd episode as compared to the 1st. When the critics fail to see where the show's headed, the show's only going to one direction: doomed.
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:36 am

I don’t really see Bones as much competition we just have to spread the word. Apparently, according to one reviewer, people don’t realize it’s on yet. If it’s beating America’s Next Top Model, that saying something to me.
Way to go Deanna. :good:
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:55 am

Bones has a built in audience after 3 years, plus all the Buffy/Angel fans that came over with the show with David. But Neil is right a.3 drop is basically nothing. If it had gone down a full point i would be REALLY worried, I think as long as NBC gives it a chance things will pick up. Every single show this year so far has been a victim of the strike from last year and some probably aren't watching in fear that another strike could happen at any time with the stubborn SAG. Look at Pushing daisies, that show drew HUGE numbers last year and this year it fell flat. Hopefully they at least give it a chance for a full Season. It's drawing pretty much on par with every other NBC show. Same numbers as Chuck and Heroes pretty much. I don't think NBC/Ben Silverman want to piss off GST fans again and get litered with items again like they did with LV and the baby bootie campain. I'm all for anything we can do to help the show out!

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:56 am

Man, did I ever have doubts about the new show last week...

Last night's episode was absolutely great! Seriously, I can't even begin to explain what was great about it, you will have to see it for yourself.

Trust me, guys, this show is going to stick around for awhile. When a show is done good, there is no need to bash it (like last week's pilot premiere). And as for the Nielsen ratings system, have they branched out to the world wide web yet? I'm sorry I have to work and miss out on the TV broadcasts, but in my opinion, the internet is really where they should focus on program monitoring.

Which brings out a very good idea that deserves it's own post thread (I don't feel like doing it). Anyone who logs into NBC.com to watch the episodes will notice a big black unused portion of the screen on the bottom half that could easily be filled with pop up ads. Couldn't NBC try to use this space for some revenue? Hey, we all fast forward commercials, or psychologically tune out whatever is not important to us. But to whomever on here that knows who to talk to (NEPS), why don't you drop them the idea, and tell them it was from the fans of KNIGHT RIDER. :kitt:

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:13 pm

zap2it paints a slightly different (better?) picture:
FOX's "Bones" led the 8 p.m. hour with a 6.1/10. CBS' "New Adventures of Old Christine" and "Gary Unmarried" finished second in households, but NBC's "Knight Rider" (4.6/7), which grew a tiny bit from its premiere, had more total viewers. The premiere of "Pushing Daisies" scored only a 4.1/7, well below its average from last season. "America's Next Top Model" earned a 2.7/4 for The CW.
Increasing total viewers is a good thing.

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/ratings/zap-ra ... 7530.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:16 pm

I was about to post some more online reviews for the second episode but they AGAIN were mostly negative. I'm starting to get really annoyed at reading those reviews which seem to miss the point of KR08 completely.....or the original KR for that matter. A lot of it seems to be seeing the original series with rose tinted spectacles! One live blog just does nothing but ridicule KR08 as the episode airs!

I do though think that these negative reviews are driving the ratings down. Can the community suggest what we can do to spread the good word? counter reviews, attack these reviewers whilst spreading the word? sounds aggressive but all these reviews seem to miss the point. I'm quite happy to start shifting through the reviews and pump out links where people can start retaliating? Yes we need to come across as well mannered and constructive in our response but in the same time we need forum numbers and positive opinions???

Ideas?

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

TallSox08
Volunteer

Post by TallSox08 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:18 pm

It just goes to show you, it's all a matter of perspective :)

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:29 pm

I would imagine that most of these online reviews have "comments" sections. If we made sure to collectively hit as many of those and accentuate the *positive* about the episodes, it might help people see a different POV.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:43 pm

more from tvbythenumbers:
NBC’s best effort was America’s Got Talent at 9pm, with 12.55 million. But looking at Knight Rider relative to its 8pm peers, it kind of seems like a keeper for the peacocks if these numbers hold up.

Code: Select all

Time 	Net 	Show 	Viewers (Millons) 	18-49 Rating/Share 	18-34 Rating/Share
8:00 	FOX 	Bones 	9.82 	3.2/9 	2.4/6
	NBC 	Knight Rider 	7.56 	2.4/7 	2.1/7
	CBS 	The New Adventures of Old Christine 	6.86 	2.0/6 	1.1/4
	ABC 	Pushing Daisies 	6.32 	2.0/6 	1.7/6
	UNI 	Cuidado con el Angel 	4.16 	1.7/5 	1.9/6
	CW 	America’s Next Top Model 	4.01 	1.8/5 	2.1/7

8:30 	CBS 	Gary Unmarried 	6.98 	2.2/6 	1.3/4
Viewers went up from 7.3 million the first week to 7.56 this.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:54 pm

goldbug wrote:I would imagine that most of these online reviews have "comments" sections. If we made sure to collectively hit as many of those and accentuate the *positive* about the episodes, it might help people see a different POV.
....thats kinda what I was thinking. Theres already loads of links on the reviews, review, reviews thread. So how do we plan this out?

Sarfraz

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:08 pm

Man do i not understand the Neilson system AT ALL! How can we go down .3 in a rating but we have more viewers than last week? and how can we have a 7 share in the 18-49 against Bones' 6 but have a lower number rating in that area as well? Can anybody explain how ratings work?

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:19 pm

Your not the only one dude, this rating system is really confusing.

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:21 pm

Do we know what the Male Demos were yet? I'd say if we win that demo again this week NBC should be damn happy. I wish we could know what they actually think of the ratings so far. I personally think it has to do a lot wiht the strike from last year as all shows are down significantly.

kitt2k
Operative

Post by kitt2k » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:23 pm

The biggest reason I had to put on the "Knight Rider Event" in Colorado was to use the original KITT to get the word out to that there was a new show on the air. A lot of people do not watch television anymore, and if they do it is not network television, but these same people remember their love of the original show and car from their childhood, and that leads them to wanting to at least "check out" the new show. At my event, people came to see the original KITT car they loved as kids, then I had promo clips of the new show and was able to get them excited for it. Over 80 percent of the folks that came out had NO idea the show was returning. So in one five hour event I informed over 1800 people that the show they loved as a kid was coming back. I know its not much in the ratings numbers but it was a start. Plus in every newspaper and television interview I did I also mentioned the shows return, so that should have also reached more people. As a fan I did everything I could to get the "numbers" up for the show.

One of the BIG problems on the new show is how they are handling publicity. I presented my idea for the event I did in Colorado to the person in charge of NBC publicity, told this person how using the original car could really help them and be the big key to draw people in, etc. I told them I would have two original KITT car replicas at a venue, and asked them to provide me a few shirts, or bumper stickers, whatever to give away and a DVD of some of the commercials, behind the scenes, etc, and was told to basically go away. I got NADA from NBC in help or promotion materials when all I wanted to do was get the word out on their new show. I actually paid for all the t-shirts I gave out for free to promote their show, and Neil made me the DVD with all the stuff for the new show. They actually looked at me as a huge annoyance, yet I got the word out to a lot of people. Believe me I could write pages on how much I grew to dislike NBC publicity when my event was all done. Had it not been for the amazing support of the individual cast members, (Justin especially) I would not have done the event to help the new show at all.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:58 pm

Knight316 wrote:Do we know what the Male Demos were yet?.
Still number 1 in all Male demos.

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:03 pm

The new numbers were a big relief.

Speaking to one of the producers, it seems almost a sure bet now that KR will get it's 13 episode run, and if these numbers hold (or improve) for another week or two, it will most likely get picked up for the "back nine". That decision will be made in the next few weeks.

Episode 2 was much better than episode one, and based on what I hear, we can look forward to more great episodes.

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:10 pm

Bones 9.82 million viewers 18-49 demo 3.2/9

Knight Rider 7.56 million viewers 18-49 demo 2.4/7

New Adventures of Old Christine 6.86 million viewers 18-49 demo 2.0/6

Gary Unmarried 6.97 million viewers 18-49 demo 2.2/6

Pushing Daisies 6.32 million viewers 18-49 demo 2.0/6

The ratings for Knight Rider could be better but thankfully the ratings didn't drop. Last season Bionic Woman had good rating but they dropped for each episode. I think NBC will give KR a chance. I don't think they'll yank it anytime soon. It's doing better than a number of other shows. And creatively it's getting better.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:11 pm

Sweet, thanks for that Shapeshifter. Anything we can do to drum up support? I'm not even in the US, but keen to see this series succeed.

Sarfraz

2knight
Rookie

Post by 2knight » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:12 pm

I don't understand the Neilson Ratings either, but it seems like coming in second place for the night can't be all that bad.

As for promoting the show, how many people on here are on Myspace, Facebook, other social networking sites, have a blog, or are on some other online group or forum? You can always get the word out there. In Facebook there's an option to tell what you're doing right now. You might say "Watching (or talking about, or excited about) the all-new Knight Rider, Wednesday nights at 8pm on NBC" And on Myspace you can post Bulletins -- perhaps post something Tuesday or Wednesday "Don't forget to watch Knight Rider, Wednesday night at 8pm on NBC". You can even write what you like about the new series in your blog if you have one. It's called viral marketing and basically it means spreading the word online through your friends and contacts.

:kittconv:

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:14 pm

sarfraz wrote:....thats kinda what I was thinking. Theres already loads of links on the reviews, review, reviews thread. So how do we plan this out?
Sarfraz
I'd say link to a bunch of reviews in one thread, and then KRO members can take it from there. That's what I did with a couple of the reviews listed for the premiere, most notably the USAToday one, which just irritated me.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)