Live Discussion Thread - Journey To The End Of Knight

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight316
Operative

Re: Live Discussion Thread - Journey To The End Of Knight

Post by Knight316 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:54 pm

I loved the pilot and i liked this episode 100 times better! This really was classic KR. Here's hoping the ratings are on par or better than last weeks (crosses fingers). It makes me even more scared to find out what they are tomorrow. It's be a shame with episodes like this if it didn't last. I wonder how much crow all those reviewers blasting it for not being more like the original are eating after watching that. I wanna see some retractions! Who's with me?

tunerboy101
Volunteer

Post by tunerboy101 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:14 am

Best yet! Gone was cheesy turbo boost (looked a lot better), and gone was CGI driving effects! Loved KI3T's more human nature (part with female voice was awesome), and the acting was much better than before. Props to NBC, I can't wait to watch more.

seeker78
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by seeker78 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:40 am

firstly, to me SSC will always stand for Superconducting Super Collider!!! :-) Would have been the best accelerator in the world, better than the LHC, and it was going to be built on American soil (texas). But they canceled it. anyway back to KR...

Tonight's episode was great, but:

* Well, KITT should not have needed the remote site to activate emergency power. Has no one working on KR seen Terminator??? A few seconds after the EMP, you should have seen on the screen "emergency power activated. rerouting power to all systems" then KITT boots up all the way again.

* I see the analog gauges are still there and the dashboard is still essentially unmodified...argh.

* they need to not use CGI for the races, in the 80s show they would have raced the cars in real life. but I understand budget issues.

btw repeat-backs are a military thing... "Helm, turn right, steer course 230." "Turn right, steer course 230, helm aye. officer of the deck, my rudder is right." This is to confirm (1) the person heard you properly and (2) the action is being carried out. MKII was in the Army so I'm sure they use repeat-backs there too, although it was Special Forces so they might do it differently. I know on a submarine, repeat-backs are so ingrained in your life and training that you find yourself using them in port hanging out with the guys too half the time!! lol...

--Brian

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:22 am

oh I just remembered something else...shouldn't KITT have been able to easily defeat the other car in the first race without going into attack mode? I know MKII told KITT to not go full throttle at first, but upon seeing that situation, he should have said "KITT, give me full speed".

--Brian

calhoun24
Recruit

Post by calhoun24 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:23 am

This episode felt much more together compared to last week.

Loved the new capabilities with the printer (not unusual, with the Knight 2000 having a printer, and the advancement of printer tech, I was expecting this), the matter replicator (I suspect it's not as powerful as those on Star Trek, but it's powerful enough to get the job done), and the new exterior tech display (sure beats opening a laptop on your hood, doesn't it?). Also, I saw the VOX on the Knight 3000 having the old 200 VOX effect more pronounced. Nice work. Please keep this up!

Love the desert scene. The angle with Knight's files is also interesting, as is Sarah and her Bucket List, and the fact that we see the Knight 3000's media player, and her getting into character. (Not to mention the fact that she looked fantastic tonight.)

I even liked the use of the 3000's female voice, and truthfully, I wouldn't have minded a female voice this time around. (Maybe not, but it was still cool.) However, Kilmer carries the role of the 3000 just fine, not to mention hearing more inflection and humor in this ep.

And I also loved the bonding scenes with Michael and the Knight 3000. The old movie scenes and the humor between the two alone make the episode worthwhile.

Right now, if they crank out more episodes like this, then they'll do the name Knight Rider proud.
"One man can make a difference." - Wilton Knight
Long live Wilton's dream and F.L.A.G.!

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:34 am

calhoun24 wrote: I even liked the use of the 3000's female voice, and truthfully, I wouldn't have minded a female voice this time around. (Maybe not, but it was still cool.) However, Kilmer carries the role of the 3000 just fine, not to mention hearing more inflection and humor in this ep.
That was hilarious...
But I'm with Mike, KITT don't ever do that again. :mrgreen:

This episode was great!! Every commercial break had a cliffhanger, it just got worse and worse for poor Mike and KITT. It really felt like an old KR with fight scenes in a dusty bar.
And then the whole desert scene was one huge nod to the old opening.
Sarah was a lot like bonnie here too, caring for KITT and yelling at Mike.
And they really have me hooked with this back story of Mike's.
My usual :good: :good: :good:
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:10 am

calhoun24 wrote: the use of the 3000's female voice,
I had to admit it was kinda funny! :lol:
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

trissybabes
FLAG Recruit

Post by trissybabes » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:12 am

Heh - made me laugh in that preview clip when KI3T and Mike are in midair over that minivan and Mike says that KI3T needs to change back - because he looks too conspicuous!

So, a tricked out Mustang in midair that suddenly transforms to a standard KR500 as it lands is an everyday occurence over there huh??!!

Still looked cool though...

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:00 am

i give it a whopping 8 out of 10. but what ever happened to helping the common man like in the original knight rider for example slamming sammy stunt show or like in not a drop to drink. all they do is help the rich and do
"Mac Gyver style work, what the government can't handle" this is not F.L.A.G. its the phoneix foundation

i just had to point that out. overall it was much better than last weeks episode
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:00 am

Woo Hoo!!

Knight Rider meets MacGyver... what more could a person ask for. :d
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Radicalas
Operative

Post by Radicalas » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:09 am

There was blooper, when KITT back-ups and destroys EMP on his hood (at ~39:35), after that you see Mike fighting and over his shoulder you still see KITT with EMP on the hood (39:41 - 39:46).

TallSox08
Volunteer

Post by TallSox08 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:15 am

I would agree with the fact that last night's episode was exponentially better than the premiere. I programmed my television to flip to it at that time as I was napping and woke up just in time to see Deanna Russo in that bikini...if only I could wake up to that every day. Guess I'll have to rewatch it online when I get the chance.

knightfever
Operative

Post by knightfever » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:17 am

seeker78 wrote:oh I just remembered something else...shouldn't KITT have been able to easily defeat the other car in the first race without going into attack mode? I know MKII told KITT to not go full throttle at first, but upon seeing that situation, he should have said "KITT, give me full speed".

--Brian
I'm glad someone else had a bit of a gripe about this also. All in all, this episode rocked. But I didn't like the fact that KITT had to go to attack mode to catch up with the other car. In the original KITT, even before SPM, was the fastest car on earth period. Turbo Boost is for more than jumping, it was for a speed boost. Also, there was another nod to the original that I haven't seen mentioned yet. When they are racing and the other guy hits his NOS, Mike asks KITT if he has a jet engine or something to that effect, and KITT says the NOS is giving his engine the same ability as a modified ram jet. In the first Goliath episode, after KITT and Michael collide with Goliath, Michael turns KITT's mostly destoryed engine into a ram jet so they can get back to FLAG command. This show makes me even more excited for the next one. I think they are spot on with what they are doing. If any of the production crew happen to read this, I'd like to say that you truly made an episode of Knight Rider. Keep up the good work :kitt:

Taichi
Rookie

Post by Taichi » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:49 am

This was a Knight Rider episode. Far better then the pilot and the 1st episode. Nothing felt rushed, everything played out well. We didn't have so may introductions that it made this a really enjoyable episode. Also I had to grip at only one thing... the truck!

Get rid of it.

Other then that, awesome episode. The music was even toned down a tad.

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:03 am

Can't you do something about the analog gauges, Vertigo?

If you can't blacken it out or overlay it with CGI, then at least make the needles point at zero to give the impression that the analog gauges are off. Putting it as the way it is in the 12'o clock position is just... wrong. I dunno why but looking at it gave a sensation of 'fake'-ness (if that's even a word).
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

3rings
Recruit

Post by 3rings » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:41 am

I was very pleased with this episode. Some good tough villians and a good twist in the episode. I really hope that the further episodes are like this one. :good:

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:38 pm

Rockatteer wrote:Woo Hoo!!

Knight Rider meets MacGyver... what more could a person ask for. :d
too bad mike couldn't dig himself out of that hole with an ice cream spoon...
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:41 pm

Taichi wrote:This was a Knight Rider episode. Far better then the pilot and the 1st episode. Nothing felt rushed, everything played out well. We didn't have so may introductions that it made this a really enjoyable episode. Also I had to grip at only one thing... the truck!

Get rid of it.

Other then that, awesome episode. The music was even toned down a tad.
Actually, I was kind of annoyed at the near constant use of top 40 songs, and very little incidental music- what- a composer for music isn't in the budget?
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

KR4Life
Recruit

Post by KR4Life » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:50 pm

KRAvengerII wrote: Actually, I was kind of annoyed at the near constant use of top 40 songs, and very little incidental music- what- a composer for music isn't in the budget?
You're expecting a major TV network to NOT work every spare moment of advertising in one of their shows?? :shock:

adamtrek
Recruit

Post by adamtrek » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:21 pm

This second episode was a definite improvement to the pilot. O loved the old Knight Rider homage in the desert driving scene, the fast cars and beautiful women.

Couple of nitpicks: The green-screen could be better. It was too obvious. The turbo boost, while good, was kind of fake looking. Many complain about the KR on the bottom of KITT, but I like it. The bottom of KITT's chassis should be covered for protection and to hide the "normal" car parts that the real car would have. I always hated when KI2T turbo-boosted or when in ski-mode, you could see the bottom of the car, rust and everything. It didn't sell the illusion that the car was above and beyond anything we could imagine. Having the billet aluminum plating (or whatever it is) on KITT's underside makes sense to me. I also like the KR. It's very toy-friendly, what with a possible toy KITT (in both modes) coming out in the future with turbo-boost mode with the blue lights, etc. It's obvious.

The editing of the race finale after the turbo boost was odd. I thought the guy in the red car was way ahead of Mike but after KITT lands the next scene is him skidding out, and the red car behind him, where he was ahead and passed the family in the van to the right. It didn't make sense. Maybe I'm missing something. Did KITT turbo-boost over the bad guy too?

Also, Mike's old friend and the truck going off the cliff was cool too. No model work or recycled footage there.

Speaking of recycled footage, they used a 2 second clip from the backdoor pilot, during Michael and Sarah's time in KITT.

All in all a 3 of 5 episode for me. The premiere was 2 of 5.
Watching KITT turbo boost since 1982.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:23 pm

All Im gonna say for the moment is....WOW! :good:

calhoun24
Recruit

Post by calhoun24 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:24 pm

I'm watching it again, and a small thing bothered me. In the second scene in the SSC, Torres mentiones that "the SSC doesn't exist" when they're briefing for Sarah's apparent heist.

The SSC might not exist, but FLAG and Knight Industries does. He should have said that FLAG will deny any knowledge of this, or will not be held responsible, if they get caught.

A small faux paux with respect to writing, but the writers have to remember that the SSC is a location, not the organization. In later episodes, they need to make a little more mention of FLAG.
"One man can make a difference." - Wilton Knight
Long live Wilton's dream and F.L.A.G.!

Lauzzy81
Recruit

Post by Lauzzy81 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:36 pm

Hi guys!

It's been a loooong time since i've posted!

Now I'm from Denmark, so I have to watch the new Knight Rider over the internet!

And I must say I LOVED this episode alot, for me it was like seing a classic episode of Knight Rider! I'm starting to like the new KI3T and even Justin as a new Mike Knight!

This is a huge aprovement from the pilot episode and I truely hope they'll bring back The Hoff for some episodes!

Space
Volunteer

Post by Space » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:37 pm

I liked it but I didn't like it at the same time. I wished the had a way better race in it. I was hoping to see kit race a rice rocket (some type of fast and the furious car)....

Taichi
Rookie

Post by Taichi » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:12 pm

KRAvengerII wrote: Actually, I was kind of annoyed at the near constant use of top 40 songs, and very little incidental music- what- a composer for music isn't in the budget?
Actually I meant the music wasn't as loud or annoying then it was in the 1st episode... it was still a nuisance as far as playing through the whole show.

But I could understand and hear people better then the 1st episode.