NBC READ THIS -- 83% say you should modify dashboard

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

seeker78
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

NBC READ THIS -- 83% say you should modify dashboard

Post by seeker78 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:10 am

anybody working on this show at nbc, show my poll to the powers that be!!!

83% say to physically modify dashboard

There need to be PHYSICAL changes!!!! Not just leave the analog and do CGI over it!!! Buy an aftermarket digital gauge and replace the stock ones!!!

What are you guys, NBC, going to do at car shows when you want people to sit in KITT??? you're not going to do CGI in that situation!!! PHYSICALLY MODIFY the dashboard!!!

--Brian

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Re: NBC READ THIS -- 83% say you should modify dashboard

Post by knightofthephoenix » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:17 am

I have a feeling they want to keep the dashboard as close to an actual Mustang's as possible for product placement.

But I could be wrong.

knightriderfan80
Recruit

Post by knightriderfan80 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:31 am

knightofthephoenix wrote:I have a feeling they want to keep the dashboard as close to an actual Mustang's as possible for product placement.

But I could be wrong.

Im sorry but if this is true, FORD needs to loosen the vice grips. You didn't see Pontiac having an issue with the
Trans-am when they put their KITT modification in. Just because there is CG to replace having to tear apart a car's interior doesnt mean they shouldnt allow modifications. I just hope this isnt true because they really do need to improve the interior at some point.

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:46 am

Am I the only one who doesnt care about a big mess of an electronic dash?
Guess so.
im happy with it as is.
Even more more happy when i read this post from z00story, who actually works for the show and comes to this board...

[quote="z00story"]
As for the analog dials - I think it's cool that KITT can be completely disguised as a normal car. If an enemy were to enter, they'd find little to really discover KITTs identity. Also, in the event that the HUD went off line for some dangerous reason, there are analogue back ups of the primary essentials.[quote]
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:56 am

What bothers me most is, KI3T is a super car, with so many functions and a high tech hologrophic system and so on. And then there are cheap plastic buttons for rear-window heater, windscreen wiper, hazard-warning signal flasher, etc...
This just doesn't fit.
There are so many nice concept car designs with futuristic interior. One of those are something similiar would be more appropriate.

Just a random selection:

If you want more inspiration:
http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl ... =N&ndsp=20

What I liked about KI2T was, that it looked like normal car from the outside (except the scanner), but then when people got in it or stood at the window it was always like "wow, look at that dash". This was cool, this made him special.

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:40 am

To be fair, I can virtually guarantee that 82.9% of those votes were cast before we saw the special effects that have brought KITT to life so well in the premiere. I know that I wish I hadn't cast my vote so quickly, as now I feel that the interior setup looks rather good as it is, thanks to the minor cosmetic modifications that have subtly enhanced the stock appearance that the new series has gone for.

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:43 am

The top picture is from our European Ford Fiesta (sub-compact I guess to the USA?). Coincidentally I am a component engineer at Ford, UK and seen the new Fiesta first hand. The dash and instrumentation is pretty much what you see in that picture. I think the only thing that has changed alittle is the red-pipe lighting. Apart from that, what you see is what you get. The others on show are prototypes of other cars which I highly doubt will be anything like that once in production.

z00story has a very valid point, in todays more savy viewing audience you can't get away with that. However, I am not sure how the updated Mustang (due in a year or so) will develop the interior. To be honest, I think the standard interior on the current Mustang looks very drab compared to the Ford European market showings. I hope they take note of our current designs and transplant some of that DNA into the US market. I know some of that is already taking place on various components (can't say more than that!) but to what degree this influences the interior in the US market, I am not entirely sure.

Anyway, back on topic. I believe things have moved on alot since the original KITT dash. You look at something like an iPod and compare that to the mass of buttons on early MP3 players. Voice command is probably alot more intuitive than finding a button, particularly the banks of buttons required for KITT. Taking KI3T's more independent character, the upgradability of the new car and already numerous functions, you'd need more buttons! KI3T is more likely to make a choice on which function to use before the driver anyway.

KI3T's wow factor seems to be in the exterior than the interior......but you can't say that the heads-up display doesn't have a wow-factor.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Jay
Rookie

Post by Jay » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:06 am

It's not about making something super-flashy but something aesthetically pleasing this time around.
The HUD is superb, the ambient lighting is neat, and the modulator along with it's speakers looks nice, but "POWER OUTLET" right under it is not pleasant. The changes can be small but they would really serve the car well - the concept of hiding the advanced features is great, but they can remain hidden with some cosmetic changes, right?
The buttons right under the modulator along with the entertainment system could be toned down a little and smoothened out, for the sake of uniqueness. They're rather tacky compared to the modulator and HUD.
"Alright Mr. KITT, let's burn some rubber!" Knight Song

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:49 am

Mmmmm gull wing steering wheel from that Nissan interior or the "wheel" from the other concept....

I agree and if KITT goes offline then you're screwed, especially if they're keeping the same issue with TV going offline and the car then being nothing more than a regular car. Besides that, voice command is going to get old fast IMO, at least buttons not only take less time to actually do the same thing but could be back ups. The only issue is that this KITT is obviously a lot more integrated into the vehicle of choice than what the original KITT was, seemed like the original KITT was basically plugged into the Knight 2000 and had control of its functions but could be removed and placed somewhere else and being two separate entities, KITT was in at least part, passive in controlling the car (though he did make calculations and supported Michael in the driving/Turbo Boost). The new KITT is much more integrated, to the point where I dunno if one could exist without the other. Plus, buttons could be used as an over ride which maybe would fall in line with Charles basically saying that it would defeat the purpose of artificial intelligence. Then again, after what happened I could see Torres ordering the installation of overrides and taking some freedom away from KITT.

But yeah, if anything is going to be changed I'd really want to see the stock junk around the snow globe changed, well that, the steering wheel (hey, put some buttons on there!) and the damn Shelby GT500KR writing off the backs of the head rests.

As awesome as the HUD is and I'm even coming around to the snow globe after seeing it in action, the rest of the interior of the car is as visually exciting as a cinder block.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:40 am

Yes please, atleast change those damn stock ford buttons and shifter! The gauges, ok make them CGI and digital, however, so many people hate that Ford stock dash and the stupid outlet cover, please change it NBC!

Joe

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:20 am

That Nissan with the gull-wing steering wheel looks just like what KITT should look like. All red and futuristic, hmmm I dunno... maybe we should let the Japanese auto manufacturers design KITT next time?
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

Jay
Rookie

Post by Jay » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:35 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:The only issue is that this KITT is obviously a lot more integrated into the vehicle of choice than what the original KITT was, seemed like the original KITT was basically plugged into the Knight 2000 and had control of its functions but could be removed and placed somewhere else and being two separate entities, KITT was in at least part, passive in controlling the car (though he did make calculations and supported Michael in the driving/Turbo Boost). The new KITT is much more integrated, to the point where I dunno if one could exist without the other.
Well put. Plus the Knight 2000 also had an onboard computer (which is mentioned a few times) which performs calculations and other things, such as those needed for Turbo Boost.
Somehow, we'll have to wait to see how the integration into the Knight 3000 is made - KITT says "take control of the car" in Shining Armor and seems a little detached somehow. Maybe it's just me but the simple fact he can't prevent the window button from working the window seems interesting.

However, the notion of functionality in case of damage - the Knight 2000's dashboard would still perform because it was physical. Again, the center console could use a little upgrade, and why not a Knight's head logo or something over the Momo logo on the steering wheel?
"Alright Mr. KITT, let's burn some rubber!" Knight Song

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:41 pm

Jay wrote:Somehow, we'll have to wait to see how the integration into the Knight 3000 is made - KITT says "take control of the car" in Shining Armor and seems a little detached somehow. Maybe it's just me but the simple fact he can't prevent the window button from working the window seems interesting.
And yet he managed to keep "Package Man" from opening the door later :mrgreen:
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:21 pm

Loved the purple interior of the top photo. :) The last photo would be more what I would expect of a very futuristic car but I liked the 2nd one - if they replaced the blue with yellow they'd have KARR!

jimknight
Rookie

Post by jimknight » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:15 pm

hmm im wondering where nissan got the idea for this design eh nudge nudge

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:50 pm

FuzzieDice wrote:Loved the purple interior of the top photo. :) The last photo would be more what I would expect of a very futuristic car but I liked the 2nd one - if they replaced the blue with yellow they'd have KARR!
Well that purple dash made it to production. The whole new Fiesta colour range is abit "radical" to say the least. Seems to work in most cases.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:39 pm

Matthew wrote:To be fair, I can virtually guarantee that 82.9% of those votes were cast before we saw the special effects that have brought KITT to life so well in the premiere.
True. Good point.

I agree they have done a good job with the series! :)

However...I just don't feel comfortable with analog gauges being the main readout on the dashboard. There should be smaller analog ones as a backup, yes, but not the main indications. I would like to see it look more like this

That's a Boeing 777 cockpit. :)

--Brian

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:05 pm

Just to clarify Safraz his point.

Both images are of the production Ford Fiesta on sale late this year and 2009 in the US. Stunning little car to be honest!
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

KarlKnightRider
Recruit

Post by KarlKnightRider » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:08 pm

Wasn't the orignial KITT's dash deliberately made to look like that of an aircraft, which is why it had a gullwing steering wheel. I think I remember somebody mentioning the trouble Wilton Knight had with Tanya Walker and crew before the pilot was meant to be something involving an aircraft he'd designed that they stole the plans for. Was this from the original book or something?

Also, not being very up on my KR factual history, was there a book before TV Movie KOTP?

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:08 pm

Faithful Car KRO wrote:Am I the only one who doesnt care about a big mess of an electronic dash?
Guess so.
im happy with it as is.
Well, I certainly want it to appear as if the interior has been modified and upgraded.

Faithful Car KRO quotes z00story:
As for the analog dials - I think it's cool that KITT can be completely disguised as a normal car. If an enemy were to enter, they'd find little to really discover KITTs identity.
ok, yeah, but I think this has been accomplished mainly on the exterior of the vehicle. I think if an enemy is able to enter the vehicle without authorization, they probably used force (by hardware or software), which means they probably know what it is they are forcing themselves into.
Also, in the event that the HUD went off line for some dangerous reason, there are analogue back ups of the primary essentials.
This is certainly a good point. I know some are annoyed by my references to the USN, but they are obsessive about backups. Primary backup, secondary backup, tertiary backup (NASA uses the same terminology I think). For example we once lost power to sonar, which is a very dangerous situation. They ended up having me standing broadband watch -- that's the main "safety of ship" watch where you are making sure we are not about to hit anyone and listening to any bad guys out there -- using the underwater telephone! Which is just one small analog underwater microphone with an analog underwater speaker for output. It can't be steered, doesn't tell you where sounds are coming from, etc., but at least it works off battery power independently of main sonar! Sonar is on the vital bus, which means it will be powered if the boat is being propelled by the battery only (failure of both the nuclear reactor and diesel generator), but we were having some electrical problems. The Captain said "ok, we have course and depth control, we have propulsion, we can hear. so we are safe." (safe is always a relative term on a submarine but you see his point) I'm sure others who were in other branches of the military have similar stories.

My point with this story is that yes, I agree, there should be an analog backup, but normally backups are smaller. The way they currently have the KITT interior, the dashboard's main indication of speed is an analog device. I know Ford does this to make it more "manly", but it's like an analog watch: you only have an approximation of what your speed is. If you're operating an advanced vehicle, you want exact indications. Like this McLaren Formula One car

I was surprised to find out just now that NASCAR apparently uses analog gauges!!! :-O although I think that's because they also ban any sort of computer control in the engine?

--Brian

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:16 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:Mmmmm gull wing steering wheel from that Nissan interior or the "wheel" from the other concept....
I agree!!!!!! :)
Besides that, voice command is going to get old fast IMO, at least buttons not only take less time to actually do the same thing but could be back ups.
Exactly...it's faster to press a button than to speak a command.

Speaking of speed...one thing that hasn't been pointed out, it's cool to move images around on the windshield, but it's probably easier to reach the dashboard! Which is why they need to...MODIFY THE DASHBOARD!!! :)

Well maybe tall people easily reach the windshield, but personally it's a reach for me! I'm 5'7" :)

--Brian

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:25 pm

sarfraz wrote: Anyway, back on topic. I believe things have moved on alot since the original KITT dash. You look at something like an iPod and compare that to the mass of buttons on early MP3 players. Voice command is probably alot more intuitive than finding a button, particularly the banks of buttons required for KITT.
True but if the buttons are relatively few in number and easily reachable, it is certainly faster to press a button than to say "turbo boost". :) imho anyway. :)
KI3T's wow factor seems to be in the exterior than the interior......but you can't say that the heads-up display doesn't have a wow-factor.
oh yes I agree, it is nice looking, and has the "wow" factor, I don't really think it should be the only digital display in the car though. :)

--Brian

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:03 pm

Matthew wrote:To be fair, I can virtually guarantee that 82.9% of those votes were cast before we saw the special effects that have brought KITT to life so well in the premiere. I know that I wish I hadn't cast my vote so quickly, as now I feel that the interior setup looks rather good as it is, thanks to the minor cosmetic modifications that have subtly enhanced the stock appearance that the new series has gone for.

Matt
I'm sorry, but CGI dashboard graphics are just not enough for me. I find it completely unacceptable to leave analog gauges in this car for ANY reason. Two aftermarket neon lights just don't cut it. At least in the backdoor pilot, the analog gauges were covered over with CGI (despite the fact that there was only 1 single shot of them), but it is no longer the case.

The Knight 2000's "cockpit" was inspired by Wilton Knight's previous aircraft designs; and yes, although the Knight 3000 appears to undeniably be designed by Charles Graiman, I still believe a fully functional dashboard is necessary for consistency between cars, if for no better reason.

Those are some awesome pictures of dashboards in this thread and they all COMPLETELY blow away the Knight 3000's. For all this emphasis on "Yes, but can your car do this?" I take one look at a concept car's picture and think it's better-looking.

The dashboard should look like the cockpit of an airplane. Period.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:22 pm

Lost Knight wrote:
Those are some awesome pictures of dashboards in this thread and they all COMPLETELY blow away the Knight 3000's. For all this emphasis on "Yes, but can your car do this?" I take one look at a concept car's picture and think it's better-looking.

The dashboard should look like the cockpit of an airplane. Period.
Right on!!! I agree!

I think one issue is that when the HUD is the only display, it seems as though the driver is not really in control of the vehicle. Think about how much more the original KITT's digital dashboard displayed than the HUD does. Igniters, engine temperature, etc. Yes, KITT can display all that on the HUD, but it should be on the dashboard at all times. As well as buttons that are easier for the driver to reach than the windshield.

Here is the cockpit of an F/A-18 which is used by the USN and USMC. This aircraft has both a HUD and a "dashboard".

Yes, there are analog gauges but they are MUCH smaller than the main digital displays. Clearly backups as opposed to primary displays.

--Brian