Reviews, reviews, reviews (spoilers)

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

kitt34
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Reviews, reviews, reviews (spoilers)

Post by kitt34 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:11 am

Knight4life wrote:# Despite the huge promotional push from NBC and the ratings success of the TV movie, "Knight Rider" debuted to disappointing ratings with only 7.3 million viewers. That's not so hot and could mean that this remake is in trouble.

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/fall-tv-progre ... -start--17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and your so right, it's just not that good of the tv show

If they had the new black chevy camaro without the white stripes on it, that would have been interesting.

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:27 am

We all wouldn't mind the Camaro,but GM *does not* want to have any involvement with KR!And also,NBC wants an American car,and the Camaro is made in Canada.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:40 am

Sky_Blue_Civic wrote:We all wouldn't mind the Camaro,but GM *does not* want to have any involvement with KR!And also,NBC wants an American car,and the Camaro is made in Canada.
and sadly this american car in this series does not work at all.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:22 am

Would the success of the original series depended much on if KITT was a Camaro, Corvette or Trans AM? I don't think it would have been so significant. Similarly, I don't believe if the current car was any of the latest versions of the three mentioned car, that the show would be any different. Its in the story, action and humour that makes up KR, not what sports car it is. Its still a shiny black sports car, just a different sports car. To be honest, I think that helps this series differentiate the cars character from the original.

Back to the point, I agree with some of the forum members and that the show needs time to find its place. It cannot be judged on the first show alone, no show should be. I wasn't particularly impressed with the first three episodes of Heroes when it first aired but I could see where it was going. Eventually it got better.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:58 pm

sarfraz wrote:Would the success of the original series depended much on if KITT was a Camaro, Corvette or Trans AM? I don't think it would have been so significant. Similarly, I don't believe if the current car was any of the latest versions of the three mentioned car, that the show would be any different. Its in the story, action and humour that makes up KR, not what sports car it is. Its still a shiny black sports car, just a different sports car. To be honest, I think that helps this series differentiate the cars character from the original.

Back to the point, I agree with some of the forum members and that the show needs time to find its place. It cannot be judged on the first show alone, no show should be. I wasn't particularly impressed with the first three episodes of Heroes when it first aired but I could see where it was going. Eventually it got better.

Sarfraz
But for me, this show is absolutely one of the worst tv of the year, one of the worst I've ever seen.

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:23 pm

kitt34 wrote:
But for me, this show is absolutely one of the worst tv of the year, one of the worst I've ever seen.
Actually, that goes to Do Not Disturbed. Which is the fist new fall show to get the axe...
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:31 pm

kitt34 wrote: But for me, this show is absolutely one of the worst tv of the year, one of the worst I've ever seen.
Wow. How many shows have you actually seen?

And besides, if the show really is that bad, you can replace the Shelby with Jesus' car and it will still suck. Your point is moot.

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:44 pm

NeoRanger wrote:
kitt34 wrote: But for me, this show is absolutely one of the worst tv of the year, one of the worst I've ever seen.

And besides, if the show really is that bad, you can replace the Shelby with Jesus' car and it will still suck. Your point is moot.

But it's the truth, it is a disgrace to the original and it doesn't work.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:59 pm

You think this show is a disgrace after one episode, when's the last time you ever watched Team Knight Rider?

http://www.hulu.com/team-knight-rider" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

DeeKnight
Operative

Post by DeeKnight » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:37 pm

Worst tv show of the year,after one episode! I have watched it a few times now and i must admit it gets better after each watch. And the second episode looks intresting,so bring it on!

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:08 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:You think this show is a disgrace after one episode, when's the last time you ever watched Team Knight Rider?

http://www.hulu.com/team-knight-rider" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I Watched that one and that was terrible too, face it, the original knight rider was brillant, well written and well acted, the rest are just failures and they just don't work and this one does not work, sorry

Better luck next time.

Knight94
Operative

Post by Knight94 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:54 pm

:kittx: So goes the the smashmouth hatin on KR08. Would y'all just chill a bit? It's got some flaws in the slaw,
but it's just gettin off the ground. Some ppl hated on the original, but it turned into a success. Ya just gotta
let it get going good. True, it is up against that new 90210, and Bones, and that makes for a tuff time in the
ratings. I personally think they shoulda put it on Friday nites. They also forget the internet watchers, like me.
I don't get NBC, so the only way I can see it is on the web. But I think we oughtta just chill on the bash-fest.
Give KITT a chance.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:07 pm

Haha, next time, anyone thinking there's going to be a next time for Knight Rider on television is just kidding themselves. Knight Rider will be dead on television if this show fails, probably at least for another 10, 20 years.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:36 pm

kitt34 wrote: I Watched that one and that was terrible too, face it, the original knight rider was brillant, well written and well acted
LOL? I struggle with your standards of what makes a show good. The original Knight Rider was not well-written and it certainly wasn't brilliant. It was cheesy and it thrived on kitsch. And guess what? That's why we liked it.

Complain about the car, the music, the CGI, the actors or even just because it's not a carbon-copy of the original. But seriously, don't pull the "quality" card on any of the dramatic departments of the show; it just doesn't stand.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:52 am

NeoRanger wrote:

You understand me :good: If anyone believes the new show is bad, its not because the car was a Mustang or a Camaro. Like you say, the original was hardly Shakespearian. Apart from very few episodes, the original KR was popcorn TV, something you can switch your brain off and just enjoy the ride.

In retrospect, I don't understand what the reviewers expect from KR? I expect KR08 to be simple fun, action orientated, tongue and cheek humour with loads of excuses to do some car stunts. Is that what happened in the pilot episode, because reading the reports from most of you lot it certainly did.

Sarfraz

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:45 am

Viewers, especially TV viewers, in the '00s are just spoiled. It's been both a blessing and a curse that this decade we've had the growth of dramatic television to a new level. And with a battery of truly quality shows, everyone's become a critic.

... Pretentious of course. Because when you throw something like "Transformers" their way, which from a writing/directing and even acting perspective it was absolute crap, they run to drool over it, because it has $100 million worth of CGI and supposed nostalgia.

Anyway, I digress and -worse- generalize a bit. But that's my assessment.

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:30 am

NeoRanger wrote:... Pretentious of course. Because when you throw something like "Transformers" their way, which from a writing/directing and even acting perspective it was absolute crap, they run to drool over it, because it has $100 million worth of CGI and supposed nostalgia.
The only thing good about the new Transformers is...OPTIMUS PRIME!Now *that* is awesome.Besides,most people only like Transformers for the Autobots.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
Petition #9

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:18 pm

NeoRanger wrote:
kitt34 wrote: I Watched that one and that was terrible too, face it, the original knight rider was brillant, well written and well acted
LOL? I struggle with your standards of what makes a show good. The original Knight Rider was not well-written and it certainly wasn't brilliant. It was cheesy and it thrived on kitsch. And guess what? That's why we liked it.

Complain about the car, the music, the CGI, the actors or even just because it's not a carbon-copy of the original. But seriously, don't pull the "quality" card on any of the dramatic departments of the show; it just doesn't stand.
But the original had heart and soul, this one and the previous 3 lacks any of it.

kitt34
FLAG Recruit

Post by kitt34 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:19 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:Haha, next time, anyone thinking there's going to be a next time for Knight Rider on television is just kidding themselves. Knight Rider will be dead on television if this show fails, probably at least for another 10, 20 years.
But this version is just a big failure, there's nothing in it, no plot, nothing.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:40 pm

We've seen one episode. It's close minded of you to call it a failure after barely seeing anything.

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:59 pm

neps wrote:We've seen one episode. It's close minded of you to call it a failure after barely seeing anything.
Neil's got a point.The story line of the new KR has barely begun!Plus keep in mind they didn't get the luxury of a two hour movie for the series.Just give it a chance,and some of your support!We asked for Turbo Boost,and we got it,we asked for WD and DH,and they said that they can give them an appearence.You should be lucky NBC is even listening to us,the fans,in the first place!We just have to voice your opinions on the show,and NBC might listen.
Plus,this might be the last time NBC might revive KR in a long time,so enjoy it while it lasts.Plus there are a lot of second gen. KR fans(like me)who enjoy the show.
Petition #9

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:00 am

NeoRanger wrote:... Pretentious of course. Because when you throw something like "Transformers" their way, which from a writing/directing and even acting perspective it was absolute crap, they run to drool over it, because it has $100 million worth of CGI and supposed nostalgia.
It's interesting you say that because the reality is quite the opposite. "Transformers" (the film) was heavily criticized in a very similar manner as KITT an KR08 were when it debuted. Images of the Transformers characters leaked online and general public reaction ran along the lines of "Why doesn't Bumblebee become a VW?! A Camaro?! That suxx0rs!!!". I think virtually every character design got that criticism. The CGI (as impressive as it was) received tons of criticism as well, with lots of people complaining that the robots looked "too busy" and they all "looked the same" (hint: Bumblebee is the YELLOW one, Prime is the RED/BLUE one...*sigh*).

Whenever something new comes out nowadays, especially if it's based on something old, it automatically gets hated on and criticized because there has been some odd type of rose-colored-glasses effect that makes what came before so sacrosanct that nothing that comes after could *possibly* be good. People who are bashing KR left and right generally fall back on saying stuff like "KITT should have been a Trans Am!" as if that's a criticism. I have yet to see one newspaper/online news review that actually tries to analyze the ep for its flaws (and they do exist) and suggest how it could have been better.

It just strengthens my belief that most (not all) critics are failed writers who just need to bash someone else's work to make up for their own personal insecurities.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

NeoRanger
FLAG Recruit

Post by NeoRanger » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:20 am

It's interesting you say that because the reality is quite the opposite. "Transformers" (the film) was heavily criticized in a very similar manner as KITT an KR08 were when it debuted. Images of the Transformers characters leaked online and general public reaction ran along the lines of "Why doesn't Bumblebee become a VW?! A Camaro?! That suxx0rs!!!". I think virtually every character design got that criticism. The CGI (as impressive as it was) received tons of criticism as well, with lots of people complaining that the robots looked "too busy" and they all "looked the same" (hint: Bumblebee is the YELLOW one, Prime is the RED/BLUE one...*sigh*).
I was referring to movie critics and the average film audience. I'm part of the Transfandom and I'm well aware of the fan reaction to the movie... prior to its release anyway. I proudly bitched a lot about the robot designs.

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:22 am

For some fun I decided to do a response to various bits of the "review" at: http://io9.com/5051540/not-even-naked-c ... rom-itself

"...Then they're injected with green tempera paint and drive off in KITT..."

This is a pet peeve of mine, when a "critic" or "reviewer" doesn't actually pay attention to the plot and makes things up in their review. No one was injected with anything. The bad guys *threatened* to inject Sarah with the green liquid, but they never did.

"...that engulfs the car in fire. So the only obvious thing to do is to take off all their clothes. It's amazing that two relatively attractive 20-somethings could get half naked and still look awful."

Of course, the reviewer completely ignores the fact that the internal temperature of the car was rising and that the Knight Research team was trying to find a solution to the problem back at base. While taste is purely personal, I think the general consensus is that Justin and Deanna are two very attractive people, so I'm curious what the critic's idea of "attractive" is. That aside, the two are hardly ugly and their attractiveness doesn't sound like much of a valid criticism to me.

"He even doesn't remember "sexy latino lady," who has possibly one of the most ridiculous entrances I've ever seen."

I'm curious what would have been a better entrance? It's a hot girl in a hot car - these are staples of Gary Scott Thompson's style from the "Fast and the Furious" movies, and it's something that's been done in film and TV over and over. As usual, the reviewer gives no indication as to what type of entrance would have been preferable or what could have been done to improve the scene, so this criticism just hangs limp.

"...and what is the voice of KITT saying when he gets excited (I still can't understand Val Kilmer half of the time)."

Considering Kilmer enunciates every word very carefully and doesn't even use contractions, I think the reviewer either needs better PC speakers or a better TV if she couldn't understand him. I never had a problem understanding a word he said, and that was watching on a PC with speakers, never mind my five year old TV at home.

"But honestly you're not made to care enough to tune in next week."

Why? The reviewer never actually states why the story is dull or fails to peak interest. Personally I'm very curious about Mike's past, the "mystery woman", Torres' plans, Sarah and Mike's (potentially) rekindled romance and seeing KITT grow. If the reviewer isn't interested in these story arcs, that's fine - but she doesn't even acknowledge most of them (perhaps she didn't notice half of them?).

"So screw you NBC, I loved Billy."

And here's the crux of my problem with this review. The reviewer seems to have focused more on Billy than anything else. Sorry lady, the actor is playing a *different* character altogether. If you want "Billy" from BSG, watch BSG. He's playing the typical "geek guy" who is inexperienced in field work (and the violence that can be involved) and he did it to good comedic effect.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:51 am

if any one on this board has noticed, im one of those people whose loves everything about this new series, which is why this article scares me....

http://tvbythenumbers.com/category/renewcancel-index
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!