Knight In Shining Armor? One Word: Terrible

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

GNR2K6
Volunteer

Re: Wow - how bad can this new show be?

Post by GNR2K6 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:51 pm

Now after seeing what this new show is going to be like, my question is when is KITT going to battle Megatron? He might as well after how this show is closer to what Ford's version of Transformers is than anything close to what Knight Rider is supposed to be. The biggest problem with this show no longer even has much to to with the Trans Am/Mustang debate, as it does now the ridiculous writing and whole concept this show has apparently taken. Even in the 80's when the original series took place, the features on KITT were always still in the realm of possiblity which made the show believable and much more fun to watch because of knowing that fact. Watching this show where it's currently far too unrealistic and instead borrowing features that are closer more to the 24th century era of Star Trek, makes this show much more cartoonish than anything and not even close to as fun as the original series was. Just one example of this would be in the tv movie. In the original series when KITT went into SPM, there were at least the extra body parts visibly coming from inside the cars body when activated. In this tv movie and when the similar feature was engaged, parts would just spontaneously materialize out of thin air. I'm not even going to get started on how cheesy, ridiculous, and lame the whole KITT transforming into a F150 pickup truck is in this show. It's crap like that and true lack of good writing with complete disregarding and disrespecting of what made the original series great , which is why this current version seems to have lost all the magic and feel that made the original a true classic and inspire a following of fans everywhere like it had captured. As much as I and many others would love to see the Original KITT make an appearance sometime this season, if so far this is going to be what Knight Rider is going to be like, then I would just rather it didn't and leave the original show's integrity intact.

GT500KR
FLAG Recruit

Post by GT500KR » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:01 am

ok i am getting ticked off about ppl bitching about "they should of used a Trans-Am" HELLO THERE ISNT ANYMORE PRODUCTION TRANS-AM. Because pontiac dont have the balls to bring it back, since the downfall of the comeback of the GTO. Even using an 2000 T/A doesnt even make sense, because its not a new thing on the street

Mustang isnt a "girls car",with that statement u just disrepected the man, Carroll Shelby, for creating a Shelby mustang back in the day..............Also think about it, it is about the $$$,

GM is involved with Transformers, so that knockout of the Camaro(also it isnt even out yet) and Corvette,
The challenger wasnt even out yet for Dodge, during the backdoor pilot.

So Ford jumped on the project back when they were filming the pilot because it was a chance to introduce the GT-500KR to us............which it is a GREAT looking car

The KR is a great selection for the show.

So shut-up, sit down and watch the show or turn the TV off.
"My wife asks me, why you do those burnouts? Well.....you do it for the kids, you know, Im not being immature. You just.....well you do it for the kids."
~Jay Leno

goldbug
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by goldbug » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:32 am

ericole wrote:I think the new technology added into the show is cool, but I think it is carried WAY too far. Not only is KITT updated, but he is also a Transformer. This wouldn't be so bad if he didn't seemingly create matter from nothing. A mustang and a full size Ford truck do NOT have the same amount of material, nor do they have the same wheel size. Come on - you are using technology in the show, in a current time setting - don't also mix magic.
The thing is, you assume that the matter is from "nowhere". The fact is, we have no idea what technology is behind it other than nanites being involved. What if the nanites can split up to form a wider mass of armor? What if there is a compartment with "extra mass" stored for such situations? We simply don't know enough about the technology to know where the mass is being pulled from.

As for "magic", the fact is, we're talking about a show that is a sequel to a show about a car with a bullet proof shell (that was never explained outside of being "molecularly bonded"), that could rocket into the air and land without a problem (something the poor stunt cars couldn't quite do) and that had an AI that could talk, care, worry, show loyalty etc. to its driver. I don't care how advanced modern every day cars are, they cannot do any of that. Seems to me the original KR already had its fair share of "magic" by your definition.

To me, that is not a criticism of the original show. All scifi needs some suspension of belief. The "magic" they needed was to have KITT not just be a car, but a person as well, and they did that. They needed him to have larger than life abilities, and they did that. I accepted it with the original show, so I accept it with this one.
ericole wrote:Also, it seems like the writers must be a mix of sci-fi junkies and T&A lovers. EVERY scene seems to have some overt sexual reference - if people are not simply taking their clothes or jumping into bed. Good grief! Trust me, the show would be fine without this mess. The original Knight Rider was, for many seasons! You could have called the original KR a family show, this one definitely is not. That's too sad.
The original KR was written in the 80's when sensibilities were different. Many episodes ended with a quip and a bunch of characters laughing, it doesn't mean it's something that's done on modern day prime time.

Frankly, I'm having a hard time thinking about any scenes involving sex. When Sarah and Mike stripped down, it was to save their lives. Would you rather they stayed in their clothes and boiled to death? Sure the scene was partially set up to show us how sexy the stars of the show are, but it's not like they were making out in the car while boiling to death, they were genuinely worried the whole time. And when did any characters actually go to bed and engage in intercourse?
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

bige12
Rookie

Re: Knight In Shining Armor? One Word: Terrible

Post by bige12 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:41 am

To people that do not like the new KR. They would of use a trans am but the problem there is GM dose not make it anymore. For CGI it possible less expensive the doing stuff. I know in a tv series needs couple cars or you would not be able to all of stuff that they wanted to and the reason for if something happens to one cars like the car gets destoryed then they have another car to fall back. To custom build a car for show can be expensive. You should know each TV series has a Budget, for example family guy series ( the creator of show says it kind costs them 1m or a lttle less to do 22 min show and that is a animated show and they do use Cgi graphics. I know in orginial series of knight I do not how many cars they had everytime turbo boost happens I know car dose take a beating, if you that in real life you would defently ruin you car and possible damage it big time.

Andyuk
Volunteer

Post by Andyuk » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:47 am

give the show a chance to shine as we have only seen episode 1 of the new series, all shows in their first season are not as good as the second season take star trek voyager for example the first season of that was rather boring compared to the later episodes. you need to give the charactors time to develop and for the writers to come up with better storylines.

bige12
Rookie

Post by bige12 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:12 am

That is what I'm trying to say to the people that did not like the first episode, There are more writers on the staff.

I enjoyed the first episode since my Friday Night show Las Vegas is gone and since GST did that show also that show got canceled do to the strike last year, So I'm hoping that Knight Rider will good and will be on for several season and this show is my replacement for NBC Canceling Las Vegas

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:42 am

give the show a chance to shine as we have only seen episode 1
Seen one? Seen them all!

There won't be anymore significant changes to the show. They simply can't change anything at this point unless they start all over with new ideas. When I first saw Knight of the Phoenix it was amazing and right away I felt that WOW-factor. So far I haven't recieved that WOW-factor from the new show and as it turns out I don't think that I will have one at all.

So why is the new show lacking of the WOW-factor?

Well, in order for an audience to recieve that WOW-factor you need to give them something they've never seen before and so far we've been bombarded with the same thing from the original series only WORSE. Instead of minimizing the usage of CGI (dudging from the pilot) they went on and did the exact opposite. The CGI won't create a WOW-factor because we all know that you can do a Knight Rider show without all that animations. Just look at how they did turbo boost in the original series! It was fenomenal because it was percieved as a realistic jump and the same thing goes for the SPM. It was also percieved as something real because the car didn't look like a cockroach when it was transforming into SPM. Some vents came out from the sides, the rear wing went up and that was basically it! The new "Attack Kitt" doesn't even look realistic when you look at the screenshots. It looks like a heavily photoshopped Ford Mustang and if you listen to the interview in "KITT Bytes of the Week" you will hear the same kind of arguements. That Gary Scott Thomphson is according to me not suited for this show at all. Hasselhoff ment the very same thing in his interview with KZZP magazine (http://knightrideronline.com/KZZP_DAVID ... 9-3-08.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and he was trying to tell them that this wouldn't work but they kept running their own agenda and now look were it brought us. Some of you will argue that they wanted to attract a new generation but that's very vague if you ask me. Do they really think that they can lure a new audience with newbie characters and CGI? Knight Rider is all about what it brought to us in the 80's and as far as I am concerned they can continue their poor rated show as long as they change its name for something totally different because this is just demeaning to the original cast and its creators.

P.S. Don't feel offended by this post, it's just what I think, nothing more nothing less. Your opinion should be equally respected...
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:59 am

KnightINSTINCT wrote:I'm going to agree that there were too many introductions. Let's take a look at the transformations: KITT in attack mode was probably seen on screen for maybe even a minute. It was ridiculous to show off to the viewers that he can turn into a pickup right away.

I felt they also crammed the story line in the pilot and the premiere. KNOCK IT OFF! This is like listening to a person speak with a scrambled mind. All this information to swallow is just not good for 42 minutes. The story yesterday was good, but there was too much to tell. Let me bring up another example to point at: Mike and KITT leave the plane after Mike was told by Carrie his identity as Mike Traceur is no more. KITT demands to know where Mike is racing off to, and no more than twenty-five seconds later (with the same music playing), he ends up back at the KITT cave where he find Carrie playing basketball. This point right here should tell everyone that they crammed way too much inside a small alotment of time. Either that, or they have piss poor editors working on this series.

The green screen car sequences suck. I don't like the look of it. PERIOD.
I wanted to read the whole thread, but since on page two the discussion about Trans-Am and Mustang began, I am now referring to the firsts three posts, which pretty much sum up my opinion.
There are many details I would change, starting with KITTs dashboard, the attack mode, no cheesy logos etc.
But those are details and maybe there are people whith other opinions there (though I get the impression its more a common opinion that those need to be changed).
But again, lets not talk about details. I could certainly love the show even if KITT was not 100% what I imagine.

But the story was hard to follow because of bad editing. I never had the feeling that the scenes fit together (like you said the basketball scene).
When the woman in the blue car drove of, Mike was watching her. CUT. Next scene he is sitting in "green screen" KITT and talking to the cave people ;)
I never got the feeling that this was a pursuit.
In the original Michael would have run, jumped over KITTs hood and got into KITT to drive off. Then was the cut and Michael was in KITT, calling Devon and giving the impression of a fast-paced pursuit.
That small actions to connect the scenes are so important for the overall impression.
This is the one thing I liked more in the february pilot, there they had time for those scenes.

I just hope they really improve, because otherwise I doubt we'll get more than 13 episodes. And I really want to like it, I try to like it, but right now I just can't. But since it was just episode no. 1 I give them the benefit of the doubt.

HisNameisGarth
Operative

Post by HisNameisGarth » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:02 pm

T/AWS6 wrote:Don't ever compare a P.O.S. Ford Mustang to a Trans Am. It is apples and oranges, to hell with "production" and what have you, this is about history. Its like making a squeal with a different main actor. And for the record if they had not stopped producing the T/A it would be far superior to the Mustang. I have a 00 T/A WS6 (formula) the updated Kit if you will and it looks and is much better and would have looked a lot better in this "Makeover". And for the record all mustangs are girl cars and Kit is supposed to be a bad ass car. Cant have a girl car playing this role.

:kitt:
LOL.
Just another fanboy blinded by insanity.
Reality Check: There are dozens of cars that have been built since the days of the creaking F-bodies of the 1980s and 1990s that are faster, better looking and more reliable. Yeah, been there and done that. But personally, I like cars whose headlights work all of the time. Half the time, my old T/A's lights got stuck down.

Congrats on owning a Trans Am -- do you have the mullet to match?
They were good cars during their heyday, but even Pontiac is trying to put the days of the Trans Am behind them.
I can appreciate what they were -- but they are history now.

I love cars of all makes -- the faster the better.
Just let it go, man.

...and it weren't for the huge sales success of your so-called "girl car" (1964 1/2 Ford Mustang) -- your beloved Trans Am would have never existed. After all, the Camaro/Firebird was GM's Mustang Rip-off (to be blunt about it).
There ain't no E in Garth, damn it.

SacValleyDweller
Recruit

Post by SacValleyDweller » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:59 am

Dunno about anyone else in the tread, or these boards, but I'm a set of Fresh-to-the-Knight-Rider-Universe eyes. Here's my 2 cents:

On the gripe that a wee bit too much story was packed in to the Ep, I agree, and time allotted to elements was a little mismanaged to boot.

"Transformations = WTF? Bad Idea!" I suspended my disbelief on that one, and it doesn't make much difference to me. Goldbug hits the nail on the head with regards to this:
goldbug wrote:
ericole wrote:I think the new technology added into the show is cool, but I think it is carried WAY too far. Not only is KITT updated, but he is also a Transformer. This wouldn't be so bad if he didn't seemingly create matter from nothing. A mustang and a full size Ford truck do NOT have the same amount of material, nor do they have the same wheel size. Come on - you are using technology in the show, in a current time setting - don't also mix magic.
The thing is, you assume that the matter is from "nowhere". The fact is, we have no idea what technology is behind it other than nanites being involved. What if the nanites can split up to form a wider mass of armor? What if there is a compartment with "extra mass" stored for such situations? We simply don't know enough about the technology to know where the mass is being pulled from.

... All scifi needs some suspension of belief. The "magic" they needed was to have KITT not just be a car, but a person as well, and they did that. They needed him to have larger than life abilities, and they did that. I accepted it with the original show, so I accept it with this one.
Highly advanced tech, I'll chalk it up to a parallel universe to our own with better tech or something Image. I like it :good:

With regard to the concern of "too much suggestive content" it didn't bother me too much. Whozit in the short skirt bending down in front of, Billy was it, the only think that got an "oh brother" from me, the rest was innocuous and ignorable.

I like the pace of the show so far, hopefully the writing will get more coherent and less congested as the show progresses. They could stand to let the tension build a little better, but right now beggars cant be choosers.

Overall, though, it's a solid B show for me right now :good:
--SVD
(-
=)

msKEN
FLAG Assistant

Post by msKEN » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:51 am

HisNameisGarth wrote:Congrats on owning a Trans Am -- do you have the mullet to match?
Wow. :roll:
The Knight Rider Fan Game Project:
http://www.theknightrider.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Slayer2004
Volunteer

Post by Slayer2004 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:02 am

I though I would also add my thoughts also. I am yet another fan of the original series, even now I still dream of owning a transam all decked out. But....and here it comes...we need to accept that the original was released in the 80's. Thats twenty years ago. There is no way everything was gonna remain the same because we as people and as a culture are completely different. What people expect has changed. If you listen to What GST has said in relation to making the new series from the pilot, the have made significant changes according to what fans wanted. But in the end you are not gonna get a trans am, the hoff playing the lead or technology that wasnt possible. In the end that is what made KR so popular, the things that Kitt could do was immense but at the same time a lot was a tad unrealistic. Not saying the new series is realistic as in the end its still entertainment, however a lot fo the technoilogy they claim to be using etc, is in fact being looked into by the milatary as well as companies across teh globe for release in the next five or so years, so that when this show becaomes a classic, there willl be a sense of I can do that with this that or the other.

Sorry for my Rant, but I personally think the show needs to be given a chance, its being knocked because of a 20 year old predecessor and not given a chance in its own right.
Slayer2004 - Life, an infinate energy beyond scientific understanding....

Starship
Recruit

Post by Starship » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:33 am

Well, so far, I like it. Yes, I do have some minor complaints. My main issue is with the "nanotechnology" transformations. I realize that any show like this requires some suspension of disbelief, but to me, these transformations just take it too far. As far as I can tell, the show takes place in present day, and this technology seems just WAY too far-fetched. Sure, the A.I. in the 1982 Trans Am was way ahead of its time, but back then, personal computers were really beginning to catch on, and there were even A.I. simulations you could buy for your 64K computer (I think one was called Eliza -- it was supposed to be a simulation of a counseling session -- I never tried these programs, but I heard about them). So, you could easily figure that, "Well, if I could do this with just my little 64 kilobytes of memory, imagine what could be done with military technology!" But this shape-shifting stuff just seems too far in the future -- like someone else said, more like 24th century Star Trek.

But, I'm giving it a chance. You can talk about the writing, but let's be realistic. Let's not look at the original series through rose colored glasses, because in reality, the writing for it was pretty shallow and campy. For me, what caught my imagination with the original series was the car. Heck, I even wrote a college paper on KITT! So, I'll see what they do with the Mustang.

As for the big "KR" on the car, maybe it's because the car is a Mustang GT500KR? I don't know, just a guess. But I do find it an interesting coincidence that the show Knight Rider (K.R.) uses a GT500KR.
I try to put a little KITT in any car I own!

Space
Volunteer

Post by Space » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:52 am

Kevin Knight wrote:I have just finished watching episode 1 of Knight Rider 2008. For years now, I have been far away from the KR online world after the destruction of KnightRegistries.com. First, hats off to NBC for allowing the episode to be available at places like iTunes for free download in standard res and HD, without commercials. Also for wanting to revitalize one of the few wholesome, hour-long, action franchises, which allowed the network to pay the Seinfeld and Friends casts their outrageous salaries for so many years. Your giving it a go! Would I expect the series to be successful with David now? No, but I wouldn't have minded seeing a go at it, as a better transistion. David the actor, and his character, and that Trans-Am as K.I.T.T. are like 3PO and R2-D2. The kind of team you cannot bare to see one without the other. We are in 2008, so sure go with another car manufacturer. The Mustang. OK fine I'll let that one go. It's not sleek, it's muscle. It' not brains, it's brawn. Can let it go. So what is the problem?

First lets take a journey to February with the FBI Agent Carrie Rivai character. Don't ask, don't tell? It did actually nothing for the character or the storyline to reveal that she was a lesbian. With a lack of maturity. To be engaging in a one night stand? Not only at her age, but as an FBI agent?! It is moments like this throughout the inital pilot and Episode 1 that have me constantly outloud asking the television; "What the hell?!" The Knight In Shining Armor episode had me constantly yelling,"Are you F@#$%^& kidding me?" You don't really expect the viewers to believe this do you?!

Guys, kudos! You gave it a shot. But you have some serious re-imagineering to do if you want it to be successful. There are very few people in the Knight Rider community that can honestly convey and communicate the reasons, and feelings invoked, as to why the original series worked. These people are difficult to find through all the moaning and complaining that it isn't David, or a Trans Am, or this part of the dash. Yada yada. I will say that in my opinion, the only thing the producers got right was the scanner sound effect. Unmistakable. But that's a nod to us old timers. Which makes me sound like I want the old series back. No, that's just how far off everything else was. The CGI HAS TO GO! Completely 100% no CGI. I think my first ,"Are you F@#$%^& kidding me?" or RUFKM? moment was this K.I.3.T. transformation to Attack mode (which I had seen online previously) It looked terrible. Remember: "Just because you can do a thing, doesn't mean you must do a thing" Fenders flipping arround?! Really? Really?! Definetely "More Than Meets The Eye." The headlight and tailight covers, AWSOME look guys. I can even understanding the need for the rear wing. But aerodynamics, that wing being so high up is not helping keep the rear of the car down. Was the really a need for racing slicks? Super advanced huh? K.I.T.T. was able do 377MPH on Goodyear Eagle GT 15's. A shape shifting CS Shelby logo to Cobra emblem in a show based around the name KNIGHT? RUFKM?! Let's revise this whole Attack Mode. "Preservation of human life." No attacking! For fears of being quite long winded, I'm gonna start with the broad strokes. The CGI just looks terrible guys, absolutely terrible. We don't need to see the engine internals, or "how" turbo boost works. The salad shooters on the hood? "Just because you can do a thing... " That's what you call a turbo boost? WAIT?! A KR light up logo on the bottom of the car?! RUFKM?! Bring back a land based transport. Getting off the C-4 looked terrible, and was just as bad when used in Team Knight Rider. Thank you for the expertly performed reverse 180's.

Val Kilmer gave a great performance, and I actually hate his acting. Sounds good though. The KI3T cave? Get rid of it. It really doesn't add anything but 0's to your budget. I guess one man no longer can make a difference. It take a team of 30 to do one man's job nowadays. Mico-management anyone? You need to actually place cameras on the outside of an actual vehicle. These green/blue screen driving sequences take away from the realism when you want our attention to be on dialogue. Lastly, and most importantly. MOST importantly. Drop this "transforming program." Please!? I watched the first 7:45 praying that is was a dream sequence or a simulation of some sort. You had us almost OK with the color changing nano-technology of the pilot. We could see how it could be usefull in writing. To end on an up note. Kudos to your editors and director of photography. The opening sequence was great, just great. " Deanna Russo is an attractive woman, but her acting.... was great. Very impressed. I hope you give her the respect in storylines of an intelligent woman that very rarely, if ever, has to use her looks. She pulls it off famously and leaves soap-opera-buff boy in the acting dust. You might just have a breakout star on your hands with ONLY her! Additionally good acting out of the chancters Zoey and Billy. Lastly boys, you best have some REAL tricks up your collective sleeves because you pulled up to the starting line and I'm afraid you'll be caught in the dust and all you'll remember seeing is a sleek, black t-top, and the words CALIFORNIA KNIGHT.

With Respect,

Kevin Knight
formerly of Knight Registries
k.knight@snet.net
Wow man You gust said every thing I was thinking, but I didn't know how to word it ....

RobWolf
Rookie

NBC's New Knight Rider...should have called it 'Sh*te Rider'

Post by RobWolf » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:30 am

Okay, so I woke up this morning to find the first episode had been downloaded by my brother and was awaiting a viewing. BTW, I hated the Pilot, but for some stupid reason, I thought I should give the series proper a chance....big mistake.

My second mistake was not turning it off at the 7 minute mark (I had a battle with my left-click finger) where it TOTALLY jumped the shark with that transformation into the Attack Beast- style pickup (I'd say 'come back TKR, all is forgiven', but I actually enjoyed that). Now, the 'Attack Mode' transformation was implausible enough (and why is it called 'Attack Mode'? No weapons, he just speeds up...err, 'Pursuit Mode anyone?), but the pickup transformation was way OTT. Mechanically IMPOSSIBLE, worse than the classic SPM, worse even than the impossibly large cockpit in the boat from Thunder in Paradise . WHY did NBC get rid of the nanotechnology? If they had kept that, transformations would be much more plausible and acceptible, to me anyway.
So anyway, I watched the whole thing, far too much innuendo than is necessary, the whole 'missing memory' thing was predictable and I knew where it was leading....'Michael Knight', yes they actually changed his name, like that was what was wrong with the pilot (HINT: IT WASN'T). Also, I love how NBC's only concession to the disgruntled old-series fans was to give S.H.I.T.T the old scanner noise. How about, I don't know, getting a better car, since reaction to it in the pilot was so bad?

I heard that NBC have been hinting at the return of KITT (again, an 'oh dear we f*cked up' Emergency measure), well I'll keep an ear out 'til that happens but until then, I will be avoiding Sh*te Rider like the plague. I'm going for a hot shower now, followed by about six episodes of the old series, in the hopes that it will cleanse me.

NBC: you're doing it WRONG. Yet further proof that in general, NBC NEVER know what they're doing. I heard they are talking about remaking other shows now, including my beloved Airwolf (as a precaution, I think I may start a petition AND write to Belisarius Productions to ask them not to let NBC do it).

This is the worst thing to happen to Knight Rider since the Davilex games (in fact, it's much worse.) I hope the show is up on jumptheshark.com soon, because I'm ready with a big fat vote for 'jumped on day one'.

To every old series fan who supprots this cr*p- what are you on? Seriously?? It's people like you that made New Doctor Who a success, when really it deserved to crash and burn.....

trissybabes
FLAG Recruit

Re: NBC's New Knight Rider...should have called it 'Sh*te Rider'

Post by trissybabes » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:38 am

Good Lord Robbie - if you don't like it, turn it off and let the rest of us get on with being up to date!

RobWolf
Rookie

Post by RobWolf » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:58 am

'Robbie' is dead, Trissy. And isn't this supposed to be the forum for the negative comments, rather than the crawly-bumlicker comments (for those of you who are being 'up to date')?

bige12
Rookie

Post by bige12 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:26 am

DId you know that NBC did the 1980s knight rider series so I say NBC knows what they are doing and Do Not FORGET the new series is 25 years after the orginial series and you know back in the 80s they did not have smartphones or iPods and technology dose change every year and in the 80s there were touch screen technology but know there is.

Sometime the first writer is mind so so. I know the next episode is written by a different writer.
I think GST did a good job of writing the first episode. I know he will be writing more but each show has couple writers.

The nanotechnology is still there like when they were shooting at attack KITT and the car healed it self after the bullets hit

CallMeIshmael
Stranger

Post by CallMeIshmael » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:14 am

Usually writers and viewers have an unspoken agreement whereas the sometimes reality can be bent to tell a better story. When this falls apart is when writers simply break the rule and viewers are left saying "WTF!"

I was thrilled that the infamous "Turbo Boost" had come back. I hated how it was introduced. In a half second scene, KITT is seeing "levitating" over a bunch of guns with guns. Where did that come from? The two small exhaust ports on the side of the car?

The lady cuts a man's thumb off in her car. No blood? I tried to pretend he was a zombie. I cut my finger last year at Thanksgiving and blood was everywhere. But he had his thumb removed and the lady doesn't have a drop on her.

The FBI agent mows down Michael in the subway and the thumb-cutting, super secret agent standing next to him simply walks onto the subway and vanishes. What kind of training did that FBI agent receive?

And Michael Traceur is the reason why texting while driving is outlawed. He is starring at this video of him making out with a girl in Beirut. Then he's watching surveillance video from the subway or the interior of another car or what not. But he never paid attention to the road. I tried to pretend KITT was driving until KITT said "Michael, you had better slow down or I will be forced to take control."

And does anyone besides me find KITT's bloodshot eye in the car just a bit creepy? It reminded me of an Edgar Allen Poe story.

I can forgive the numerous incidental problems with the story and how it was edited. But to try and make us believe this entire show is based in some form of reality with some science fiction mixed in needs to be seriously reconsidered. If they want to blend the two, fine. But those immutable laws of reality can't be simply brushed off.

Cars can't levitate.
People do bleed.
People need to look at the road every now and then while driving.
And someone get some Visine for KITT's eye. CREEPY!

Will
Rookie

Post by Will » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:37 am

TL/DR

who wants to read about someone complaining about the first episode. I mean I hate the first episode of the original. I mean it didn't even have KITT in the first episode of the original. But the rest was just beautiful. (Don't forget that the originals pilot was two episodes long)
If at first you don't succeed...cheat, repeat, until caught...

MR2NR
FLAG Recruit

Post by MR2NR » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:16 pm

I loved it!!!!
K.R.A.M. Knight Reformulation Automated Machine 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo.

To the people who made the Knight Rider Festival possible especially Paul Casey. Thank You! See you all and more in 2012 :kitt2:

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:21 pm

I think this thread should be deleted. Just watch the show and see how it goes and give it time to grow. The first episode needed to show everything the series can do so people can get sucked in to watch as well as give MT his new name of MK, can't have KR without a MK, even though DH might return.

Now if you don't agree with the show so be it, IMO you need to let it settle and see where it goes. I am totally up for the show and can't wait till next Wednesday to see where it goes, the cast's relationships among themselves, their backstories and history, most of all why KITT is evolving and certainly what happened with everything from the old mythology.

Joe

Highlander1976
Volunteer

Post by Highlander1976 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:06 pm

JJSoCrazy wrote:I think this thread should be deleted. Just watch the show and see how it goes and give it time to grow. The first episode needed to show everything the series can do so people can get sucked in to watch as well as give MT his new name of MK, can't have KR without a MK, even though DH might return.

Now if you don't agree with the show so be it, IMO you need to let it settle and see where it goes. I am totally up for the show and can't wait till next Wednesday to see where it goes, the cast's relationships among themselves, their backstories and history, most of all why KITT is evolving and certainly what happened with everything from the old mythology.

Joe

The thread should NOT be deleted. This forum is for people to discuss thier thoughts and view on Knight Rider and everything that it encompasses.

I am probably in the minority but I actually enjoyed the 2-Hour Pilot earlier this year. It really gave me some hope that not only would Knight Rider return on the air, but if they were able to make the story work and continue from the 80's, that would be great.

The problem I had with the first episode besides the really bad CGI Turbo Booast (Don't worry, I harp on this), the story did not make any sense once so ever. Things were happening that not only didn't make sense, they were unnecessary. The story direction had so many holes in it added with a bunch of "WTF" moments is what really turned me off to the story. One that comes to mind is when the agent (I can't think of her name) shoots Michael to give the illusion that he is dead completely caught me off guard. Even after watching it 3 times, it didn't make any sense to kill off the persona Mike Traucer to give others the false impression that he is dead.

I could go on with the story but those who have watched it can hopefully see where I'm going with this. Though no one may believe me, I want this show to succeed. But with the bad story telling and obvious plot issues, this series could easily go the way of the Bionic Woman.

blowersho
Operative

Post by blowersho » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:25 pm

Saw it last night, can't judge the future episodes but this was garbage. The only thing worse then the Attack K3000 is that pathetic pickup, the CGI is laughable , the sexual innuendos would be ok if they were done in a creative way but they are so forced it's sad.

The acting is terrible, somebody give Justin a shot of B12 or something to perk him up, he has the same stupid look in every situation and that asian girl has got to go, she is as useless as RC3. Hey GST did you watch the first season of Knight Rider or some other show.

Is the K3000 a product of human or alien intelligence, the transforming thing does not work just looks fake. I know the original was far from perfect but last night I realized that the spirit of that show can never be duplicated and thats ok. The powers that be best change their approach or this will be the final nail in the coffin.

T.A.H.O.E.
FLAG Recruit

Post by T.A.H.O.E. » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:08 pm

from a aero-dyanamic standpoint

BOTH KARR/KITT are/were vastly superior....even the competitior car -VIPER is/was better looking & had a modicum of sucess ( the series that is )..... A NEW STANG.....= BRICK....But, I'll let it slide.

A Morphing truck....it's been done......a better title would've been "an armored Knight"

( Pontiac RAGEOUS* )
" Silence....we have an intruder... "