How would "newbies" respond to the premiere?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

How would "newbies" respond to the premiere?

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:50 am

There are many people who never saw the original series. Maybe they're 12 years old. Or maybe they're 50 and grew up in a cave. Forget about everything that has been discussed online: What would a fresh set of eyes think about the premiere episode? Who would watch? Who won't watch?
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Re: How would "newbies" respond to the premiere?

Post by BlueChaos » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:47 am

I think the young generation will love it. Especially if they love car action movies like The Fast and The Furious series. I have a 13-years old brother who have never seen the original Knight Rider before (only heard about it but never actually viewed it), and he did enjoy the new Knight Rider greatly when he saw it. I think older people like us who have seen the KR:TOS would have greater expectations. Those who haven't seen it don't have such high expectations, so they can enjoy the show as it is without making any subconscious comparisons in their heads.
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:57 am

If I never heard of Knight Rider and seen this for the first time? Probably get bored of it. The bad music with the playful acting from some characters make it seem too much like a Nickelodeon tv show. It doesn't mean I'd not watch it. I'm saying I would seriously get bored of this real fast.

Keep some seriousness. The old one did, and it was still fun. Drop the bad music, and add some actual songs, rather than that suspenseful racing garbage, like they played when Michael was searching for his package from underneath the bridge.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:52 am

There were some actual songs - in fact it was all songs and score - I'd agree that my ears could have used a break - but overall the tone was right on.

I'm not sure there are any newbies these days. Even though NBC is only advertising really on their own network properties, Knight Rider is tracking the highest of any fall series. This is because even if you weren't a fan of the series, the name Knight Rider triggers the memory of a man and a talking car. It's pop culture - so you don't need to reintroduce Mike or KITT again.

I think this was the right amount of energy to attract the audience of kids, while a good mix of plot & intrigue to keep the fogies interested.

Mango19
Rookie

Post by Mango19 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:05 am

Well, my newbie is six years old and his eyes bugged out of his head at the first transformation into attack mode and turbo boost. Then he immediately demanded one for Christmas. After he saw the truck transform, he spent the rest of the show asking questions about the car and what else it could do.

Dropped him off at school, first thing out of his mouth to his friends was about the super car...

I think they're hitting the mark...

edit: BTW, the sound is mixed a lot better watching it on demand in a home theater set-up.

justinbrueningnet
Operative

Post by justinbrueningnet » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:45 pm

I'm a newbie with Knight Rider. Shocker..but uh..I never even heard of Knight Rider before until I heard Justin landed the role. I had heard of David Hasselhoff though..

I think they are doing a good job of bringing in those who saw the original series, and those who havent. My roomates are also going to be watching the new series and neither have seen the original. My brother-in-law who watched the original is counting down the days for Knight Rider. Everytime I see him, since I told him of the 2hr movie pilot, he asks me for the full update on whats been happening.
Well, my newbie is six years old and his eyes bugged out of his head at the first transformation into attack mode and turbo boost.
My six year old cousin would probably be the same way ;)

Darkeklaw
Volunteer

Post by Darkeklaw » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:43 pm

KnightINSTINCT wrote:If I never heard of Knight Rider and seen this for the first time? Probably get bored of it. The bad music with the playful acting from some characters make it seem too much like a Nickelodeon tv show. It doesn't mean I'd not watch it. I'm saying I would seriously get bored of this real fast.

Keep some seriousness. The old one did, and it was still fun. Drop the bad music, and add some actual songs, rather than that suspenseful racing garbage, like they played when Michael was searching for his package from underneath the bridge.
Hmm.... There were very few serious episodes of Knight Rider, the season ending cliffhangers and the second to last episode where Mike gets married and his wife gets killed, but each episode did have serious moments. This episode had serious moments, but I don't expect them to all be fun and games, especially when Mike starts to get his memory back.