Official Online Premier Thread (aka Pilot is UP on Amazon!)

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

calhoun24
Recruit

Re: Official Online Premier Thread (aka Pilot is UP on Amazon!)

Post by calhoun24 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:58 pm

Solid Snake wrote: Also... to the people not getting why the Cobra transformed, if you pay some attention you will notice that the changed Cobra is actually the Knight Research Cobra... not a Ford one... as KITT leaves his stealth mode to enter attack mode he essentially changes from a Ford to a Knight Research vehicle, hence the other Cobra.
I get it, but I just feel like another Cobra sort of cheapens the transformation a bit. It's nice, and it's OK to put it on the car, but on the basketball court wall? Out of place in an area where the name Knight is prominent.

But that's my opinion. I can get used to it, but I still feel like it's out of place, since it is Knight Industries.

And I have to agree that the KR logo on the Attack Mode's undercarriage - very cheesy, and a little too much.
"One man can make a difference." - Wilton Knight
Long live Wilton's dream and F.L.A.G.!

Darkeklaw
Volunteer

Post by Darkeklaw » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:07 pm

Cheesy and over the top? Yep that's Knight Rider...

The show where just like CHiPs they ended on a laugh...

KnightCrusader99
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by KnightCrusader99 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:35 pm

BlueChaos wrote:I wonder why no one has noticed this, so here goes...

Look real close at the RPM meter in the dashboard (the actual one, not the digital one) and you will find that it stays at the exact same position (12 o clock) during the ENTIRE SHOW.
I didn't notice that... but this time around I got the HD version from iTunes and watched it. Did you know KITT drives 100+ MPH while in PARK? Yep, during the chase scene the gear shift is all the way up. I know they need to get as much action as they could in this ep to make up for the Pilot, but I hope in the future when KITT drives on his own we get to see him start up and shift the gears like the old KITT did. Not everytime, but every once in a while to give us a nod to our old friend.

And, if you look closely at the video on the HUD of the convertible chase, you don't see KITT behind them. Just long open road.

However, on that note.... it was nice to FINALLY hear an explanation as to how KITT got a video feed from an angle that he could have not possible been able to get, unlike in the original series when you'd see it all the time. It would drive me nuts, like HOW did they get a camera angle like that? (in the story i mean, i know how it works behind the scenes). Of course the angle of the Satellite feed was a little extreme to get it head on, at least they explained HOW they got the feed and that appeased me to no end.
chrisvillar wrote: In attack mode, KITT's tail lights transform into... two thin, parralel, horizontal lines. That was a long time styling feature of a certain division at GM for a long time. The Trans Am used it for many years. I don't know about '82, it may have been more than 2 horizontal lines that year. When I saw it, I immediately thought of vintage Pontiacs.
Oh yes, when I saw this, I thought the exact same thing! It was so nice!

My other thoughts...

I wonder if they are going to mention how the whole Sidewinder thing in Prague went. Also, I wonder if they are going to put into cannon the changes in KITT's dash and addition of the HUD over the one screen in the center of the dash. I realize that Charles may not have finished all of KITT's systems by the time everything in the Pilot went down and decided to finish them later, but at least in the original series when something on the dash changed, they mentioned it: KITT's modulator going from one box to 3 lines, as well as the change from the Season 1/2 to Season 3/4 dash. Makes me wonder if KITT was perhaps damaged during that mission. We may never know, but it would be nice.

Looks like part of the nanotech skin from the Pilot is still there. When KITT was being shot at on the windshield you could see the cracks in the glass for a second and then heal back up. So maybe this new "transformation system" is an add-on to the nano-tech skin. We don't know, maybe some of the original skin changes will reappear later.

Speaking of being shot at, I wonder if they are going to mention if KITT has any sort of MBS (or lack there of). If not, mention why not. (Lost the formula, only one part remains, thus you can't rebuild it, etc.)

I guess most of my gripes are about what happened over the past 22 years. Of crouse, I realize they couldn't put it all in ~42 minutes, but at some point I hope they address the questions everyone has. This isn't the original series, but hell, it is the best damned iteration of Knight Rider since the original we have gotten, and I'm going to support it 100%! (More if humanly possible hehe).

knightriderfan80
Recruit

Post by knightriderfan80 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:30 pm

I have to agree about the shifter. I noticed that also. I remember when Knight 2000 used to throw his shifter all the way down to 2nd gear many times lol. I can understand the film continuity was a little bad back in the 80's but come on its 2008 and things like that need to be looked at more closely and cautiously. When you have continuity problems in this day in age, it really shows the poor quality of editing and its extremely important to pay attention to these things now more than ever, especially bringing back a hit show where things are under the microscope in order to be successful, remain successful or face a grueling death.

captainstephen
Stranger

Post by captainstephen » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:17 pm

:kitt: I FOUND THE ORIGINAL VOICE DISPLAY IN THE NEW KITT!
OLD IN THE NEW!
OLD IN THE NEW!
kittvoice1.JPG (28.11 KiB) Viewed 25257 times

daroga
Rookie

Post by daroga » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:45 pm

Oh, I missed that the first time around. That would be great if they would make that a bit more pronounced.

cajunknight0153
Operative

Post by cajunknight0153 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:49 pm

it kinda reminds me a little bit of smallville. like especially the cast, mike is like clark, sarah is like either lana or louis, zoe is like chloe, and billy is like jimmy. plus the fact that its a sci-fi super hero show

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:55 pm

I haven't had much free time to catch up on all the threads lately, and there's way too many pages here, so it'll probably be impossible not to repeat things that haven't been said already.

With that being said, wow. First impression is that it hit the ground running and got right to the point. I immediately felt that the show was trying to cram everything it possibly had to offer into the first 5 minutes. There's no way I can say that it bored me or had me lose interest at any point, at least. I know today's younger generation (and I'm 26; man, do I feel old now!) has attention issues, but I think this is kind of insane. I'd say the episode is a cross between 24 and 2 Fast 2 Furious with a drop of classic Knight Rider. The 24 similarities are good (the "K.I.T.T. Cave" would be the equivalent of C.T.U.), but the 2F2F are not. And by that I am referring to the distinct difference in quality between the first film and the second film. The second film gave up on believability and had some pretty poor acting. Well, I'm sorry to say that appears to have happened here, so far, anyway.

The amped up action is good, but it's so over-the-top that Gary Scott Thompson seems to have clearly and deliberately thrown believability right out the window. In the new series' defense, however, of course the classic series had its insanely unbelievable and ridiculous moments, but they occurred sparingly. The Asian chick and the goofy guy (I'm sorry, but I honestly can't remember their names at the moment) are obviously there for comic relief. And eh, well I will leave it at that. Justin, Deanna, Bruce and the actor who plays Alex (was that his name?) were good and hopefully most of the focus will be on them.

As for the car, I wasn't happy when I saw those analog gauges. Yes, I know the windshield graphics make up for that, but I still don't think they have any place on the most advanced supercar on the road, whether it would be redundant with the windshield graphics or not. The underneath "KR" logo...eh. Could do without it, but doesn't bother me all that much. The Attack K.I.T.T. looks good in action and it's becoming a little easier to accept it. I see now that its over-the-top look is a reflection of the tone of this series.

I do also have to add here that I never thought I'd be saying this, but Michael Knight and classic K.I.T.T. do not belong here. These are two different dimensions. Marvel Comics and DC Comics shouldn't merge, and I can't see the connection between the classic series and this one. And I am not talking about the lack of mention of the original characters here, because I am pretty sure that will be focused on later. I am talking about the tone and seriousness (or lack thereof) of the two shows. I did not believe for a second that any character acted as if they were in any true danger (no, K.I.T.T.'s overdone explanations of increasing heart rates, blood pressure, etc. was not enough to convince me).

Some positive things I liked, for one, was the return of K.I.T.T.'s scanner sound. But the problem with this is that it seems to run 24/7. Classic K.I.T.T.'s only made the sound effect at certain times, like when he was scanning something or responding to a comment without speaking. Here, it seems as if you're standing next to him for more than a few minutes, the sound will drive you mad. It's misused here and the "less is more" effect in the original series worked much better. The fact that the dashboard lights turned red during the truck transformation was cool, too, since the red color is more in-tune with K.I.T.T., in my opinion.

The Turbo Boost look/CGI effect didn't bother me as much as it seems to have other people. I like that there are some "physics" behind the process. Some type of real explanation as to how classic K.I.T.T. could do it in the original series was always sorely missed. Though I have to say, if nothing else in the entire episode is even remotely believable, why even bother attempting to show how Turbo Boost works?

I liked the hints of Mike's past and the people he knew coming back to haunt him. The sexual tension/drama between he and Sarah is a redeeming quality of the show. I think both Justin and Deanna have good chemistry together. Val Kilmer's part as K.I.T.T. is also a vast improvement over the backdoor pilot.

I have to honestly say that I am not sure I can take the series seriously if it's going to keep the attitude of "Well, we know this is a silly concept and nobody is really going to believe this, anyway, so f&#% it, why bother trying—let's just have fun!" I'm going to do my best to remain positive and resist adding a "but" to the end of any positive aspects I like from now on. It's impossible for a fan of the original to not have his or her criticisms of the show; however, despite my criticisms, I still support the show and very much want this to succeed. I really don't want to come off like an unenthusiastic stiff here; it's just going to take some acceptance and processing just like when I first heard about the Mustang and saw the Attack K.I.T.T.
Last edited by Lost Knight on Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:57 pm

I do prefer this voice module over the first one on the 2 hour movie.

I'm also glad to see that the car does not have the Fast and Furious seats. The spoiler looks better come to think of it.

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:31 am

I've probably seen the show 7 times since i first saw it on amazon. The second NBC put it online with HD, I grabbed it. That's the version i've been showing my friends.

I only have 2 complaints.
And they are both CGI related.
The bigining tubro boost didnt look realistic enough...but when it hit the ground and you saw it was a real car, that really made up for it.

And the subway scene when Mike jumped out of the back... they need to fix that.

Other than those 2 minor details....dear @&^# god, i love this show.
perhaps even more than the original. this is the type of show my generation longs for, and the fact that it's Knight Rider makes it 100000000000000 times better!!!!
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:50 am

I just noticed KI3T has a power level of 9000!(But the power level of over[/] 9000 goes to the original KITT.)
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Stargazer
Operative

Post by Stargazer » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:01 am

knightriderfan80 wrote:Hello all, I am new the to boards.

As a die hard original series fan, I was disappointed by the 2008 Pilot Movie earlier this year. BUT with that being said I was very excited and happy to see some of the changes and some of the old series things implemented into the new series so far. There are however a few things that I hope are changed...NBC pay attention lol...here they are:

1. First and foremost the background music has got to be cut back dramatically! It is WAY too much and there are moments when things being at a dead silence are way better than hearing music blasting or even just being there at those moments. It is more REALISTIC when like in the old series KITT and Michael would talk to each other, or when Michael was investigating asking KITT to analyze tire or oil tracks, everything is silent except what is being said. Just cut it down a few notches thats all.

2. Secondly, The scanner sound is awesome, BUT it is way to fast and does NOT sync with the scanner itself. Sync it.

Oh, how I agree with this statement after watching it again.

3. Turbo Boost... Good start, but cut back the CG and I sure hope the glowing "KR" on the undercarraige is gone after this episode, that is VERY cheesy. And when KITT starts Turbo Boosting in high speed chases, the CG effect showing the Booster starting up needs to go and KITT's Boost needs to be instantaneous and not delayed.

I'm going to assume that KR on the underbody stands for King of the Road and not Knight Rider. I read a thread about the KR lic. plate, so I will have to find that and read everyones comment about that.

I'm still not a fan of the blue. I'd rather see a red fluid glow from the underneath. I will agree with another comment that too much red is overkill, but I just don't think it would if it was done right. So far I've seen some imagination hard at work and alot of mixes from other shows as Victor mentioned.

4. Transforming KITT is one thing, but leave the pickup truck out of it, seriously KITT's capabilities should be well within range of riding tracks without the need of being a truck.

I was thinking the KITT had to be a truck was so he could ride the rails. It wasn't shown, but my imagination ran with the idea of the trucks that use rail-riders to check tracks out. I assumed KITT was doing the same thing.

5. On the INTRO, show more of the desert, possibly like the old side shot of KITT traveling on the desert.

6. Lastly, make KITT and Michael more personable with each other. The chemistry between them just isnt there. KITT sounds too monotone and Michael doesn't crack jokes with KITT like KITT occasionally does with Michael and they need to look and feel like the old Michael and KITT.

That is all for now, everything else is looking fantastic! Can't wait for Episode 2! :good:

You have good points... just wanted to add to it or my thoughts to them is all.
I didn't see the pop-up stick shift knob... and I was glad of that.... hope it is gone for good. Also glad that I didn't have to hear the horrible noise of Mike shifting thru gears... I hope that is gone for good as well.

On other note(s); I heard KITT mention his scanners instead of scanner. I wasn't sure if the two lights were meant to be a single scanner or what.

How long is the tunnel to the KITT cave suppose to be? During this eppisode, it would seem to be longer than I first thought.

I cannot wait to see what verson of Turbo Boost that Neil saw.

kittfan666
Recruit

Post by kittfan666 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:13 am

captainstephen wrote::kitt: I FOUND THE ORIGINAL VOICE DISPLAY IN THE NEW KITT!
kittvoice1.JPG
Kewl, i didn't notice that before. One thing i did notice though is that the red dot you see on the voice box acts as KI3T's eye. Usually it just sits dead centre of the globe but when speaking to mike, he points his eye towards him.

I thought that was a nice little touch.

DeeKnight
Operative

Post by DeeKnight » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:41 pm

Well even with me being here in Scotland,i have managed to see the show. And first impressions are good,the way KITT is learing seems to be well handled. Like when he was spying on graiman and torres,overall it has real potential i just hope they can keep it going then round the season off with an apperance from the Hoff and Ki2T!

ReddawgKnight
FLAG Assistant

Post by ReddawgKnight » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:22 pm

neps wrote:Looks like iTunes is nearly ready. The SD version is up - but the HD version has nothing to DL yet: Scratch that HD version is live too!

SD (501.8MB): http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... =290983429" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HD: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... =290983426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have the means - download iTunes version, the quality is stunning compared to Amazons.
hell yeah 500th post... im downloading the HD version off of itunes now,thanx for the heads up man. :good:

HisNameisGarth
Operative

Post by HisNameisGarth » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:47 pm

chrisvillar wrote:I can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet.

In attack mode, KITT's tail lights transform into... two thin, parralel, horizontal lines. That was a long time styling feature of a certain division at GM for a long time. The Trans Am used it for many years. I don't know about '82, it may have been more than 2 horizontal lines that year. When I saw it, I immediately thought of vintage Pontiacs.
Actually,

I believe the tail lamps are inspired by the original Shelby GT 500 Mustang (Eleanor from Gone in 60 Seconds):
There ain't no E in Garth, damn it.

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:15 pm

I’m a little sad that they didn’t elongate the K in the opening credits.
shortK.jpg
shortK.jpg (182.85 KiB) Viewed 24627 times
But hey these ads on KRO are awesome!
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:21 pm

Well.........All I want to say is Im very impressed with the new series premiere.

I watched this sucka in HD on my plasma Tv with my HTPC and its so much more immersive, Itunes rocks! lol

Theres a couple of nitpicks, the blue neon for one and Kitt being on fire for so long...

Thats it! thats all I can think of..

For a one hour episode, they did an awesome job with the amount of ground they had to cover.
A huge difference from the pilot (I enjoyed it but it plodded along with very little action) if anything there was so much going on in the series premiere I felt like it was over too quickly!

This is seriously promising for the new show and I wait to see how this season unfolds.

Knight4life
Operative

Post by Knight4life » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:09 am

Hi to everyone on the forum,
i just saw the series premiere i want to say a lot of things,lot of things have already been said,i will try to remain very precise and short/to the point.i like most of the ppl around here would like to see some changes and it is very important that the creators/producers/writers/vfx team from the show should take into notice of things that needed to be changed.

1-The VFX/green screen chroma shots,composting,matte backgrounds,transformations were all very very crude,raw and poor.The KITT to Truck transformations were being the worst(very cartoon like).I highly respect the VFX house responsible working on KR but honestly they need to work really hard inorder to bring realistic cgi effects.Even the CGI KITT model and the digital fire,flares were raw/crude.I am also aware of the TV budget constraints but there are other shows on TV that have very good VFX for e.g. Heroes that airs on a similar network.I hope in future the VFX team will improve over the things being said and i am looking forward to them.

2-The Turbo Boost (TB) was very weak and like all said please loose the Blue KR neon at the bottom.Generally speaking TB is about KITT leaping over other obstacles but as we are in 2008 we need to see a complex TB maybe some "bullet time" camera angles and whatever you can to make TB look cool and realistic in a manner that it impresses not only a viewer but also a CGI enthusiast who is watching the show.

3-Since it's an action show,we cannot expect some very in depth character story telling,but by todays' standards we need some complex and intense story telling and the missions as well.Look at shows like 24,Prison Break,Lost.These serialized dramas have incredible story telling and complex characters.Ofc KR is a show of different nature but i am simply reffering the other shows in terms of their story telling methods.

4-GST told that the show would be dark in nature,well so far it's a roller coaster ride and i haven't seen anything that dark.i could be wrong since only the first episode has aired but i hope the writers will make the show very very interesting coz we all know KR is not only abt action and SFX.It has a mythology that we as KR fans want to see.

For the time being i can only think of these things right now.Hope my voice reaches out to the KR team.We all love the show and want it to be a massive and some what critically appreciated.TC everyone

seeker78
FLAG Recruit

Post by seeker78 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:38 am

Lost Knight wrote: As for the car, I wasn't happy when I saw those analog gauges. Yes, I know the windshield graphics make up for that, but I still don't think they have any place on the most advanced supercar on the road, whether it would be redundant with the windshield graphics or not.
I COULD NOT AGREE WITH THIS MORE!!!!!!!!!!

NBC, DO SOME PHYSICAL MODIFICATION OF THE DASHBOARD!!!!

this would have a few benefits

- you don't have to examine each interior scene to make sure you did, in fact, do the gauges.

- the car does not have a mechanical device as a primary indicator.

- when you take the car to car shows, people can sit in it and recognize that it is KITT, not a stock mustang

- it starts up a market for people to modify their mustangs to look like kitt

--Brian

Knight4life
Operative

Post by Knight4life » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:11 am

nobody seems to respond to my post.

bige12
Rookie

Post by bige12 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:05 pm

Just think about this they did not have alot of time to get the first episode done since you think about the backdoor piolt aired in February and then to me it seem- they did not get word in the like in April that show was going to be made into a TV Series, but know that they got the first episode done they can work on the other Episodes.

I noticed with the the new series the executive producer always writes the first episode. For Example: Episode 1 (Death has a Shadow) First season of Family Guy the creater (Seth McFarlane) written by Seth McFarlane and now Seth is the executive producer of family guy and plus he is also a writer on the Family Guy. I was watching the new Knight Rider Series. I noticed on the credits it says executive producer Gary Scott Thompson and episode written by Gary Scott Thompson.

cajunknight0153
Operative

Post by cajunknight0153 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:24 pm

will episode 2 be on itunes a week early for free like episode 1?

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:17 pm

Nah, the only did that for the premiere unfortunately. We and everyone else was pretty much a test audience, especially us here on KRO.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Deferranfan1
Operative

Post by Deferranfan1 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:33 am

Yea I thought it was great left me thinking I want more. I would assume what is online is the same we will see wed night? How long till the next episode after Wednesday?
K.A.R.R. STILL LIVES
:kittspin: