Official Online Premier Thread (aka Pilot is UP on Amazon!)

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

goldbug
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Official Online Premier Thread (aka Pilot is UP on Amazon!)

Post by goldbug » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Finished watching it and I have to say they did better than I was expecting! I was being cautiously optimistic about it and now I am really looking forward to the rest of the series. I think they needed to throw everything and the kitchen sink into the first ep to hook people, and this should do it.

All the SFX were right there on the screen too and the character relationships are definitely a lot stronger in this episode than the 2 hour movie. I was particularly pleased with the HUD scene when KITT entered the subway tunnel. The darkness totally highlighted everything and I'll agree that I did not miss the "touch buttons" at all. I liked the idea of using the windshield as a touch screen and moving windows around it.

I thought KITT was a lot better and displayed a ton more personality. He's still "young", but I was happy at the emphasis about "worrying" early on and his last "handsome couple" comment certainly shows there's more to him than just being cold and calculated. I also found his recording of Graiman and Torres' conversation (and the scanning of Mike's file) interesting. I get the feeling he'll soon be displaying another emotional trait: loyalty, specifically to Mike and Sarah.

I'm happy the "man that does not exist" factor was worked into the show, and kudos to them for aknowledging "Michael Long" before "Knight". I also have to say I loved the classic "whoosh" of KITT's scanner. I too noticed that it didn't always line up with the movements of the lights, but me being a silly fanboy was so busy gushing over the sound that I really didn't care. :)

I'm hooked and will definitely watch this week to week!
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

KTMCDO
Recruit

Post by KTMCDO » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:44 pm

heres the things i liked about the premire eppy

1 Hud
2 no more Mike Tracuer now last name Knight
3 Kittcave
4 the mystery of Mikes past
5 KITT
not in any specfic order

but im mixed on Zoe
in one of the last scenes she recieved a phone call
not sure who it was from
and what did Carrie whisper in Alex's ear about Mike

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:01 pm

I'm watching it again. :D Couple things I forgot before.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Was I alone in expecting KITT to crash through the doors? It certainly would have made the Zoe "that was awesome" line make more fitting. The make babies exchange between her and Billy was something I kind of forgot, I did like that.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Jay
Rookie

Post by Jay » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:03 pm

That was, per me, fantastic. From the HUD (thanks VFX team!) to character build, really great. Feels like Knight Rider apart from one thing - the music. The theme remix I actually like, but the action music really doesn't even live up to a quarter of some of the more generic mixes Don Peake made (they rarely were, even the less popular episodes have some interesting little tidbit in the action music, like the main theme notes suddenly popping in on a piano and such)... that really needs a change.

And I so feel like punching Torres in the face. Real hard.
"Alright Mr. KITT, let's burn some rubber!" Knight Song

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:08 pm

I forgot one thing in my comments. I really enjoyed the use of "spy gadgets" in the beginning. It's nice to see Knight Research not just develops tech for KITT to use, but also gear for Mike and its field agents. Nice touch.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:22 pm

goldbug wrote:I get the feeling he'll soon be displaying another emotional trait: loyalty, specifically to Mike and Sarah.

Definitely, that's a route I see this going..

After watching it a second time I think I've changed my mind somewhat on the Zoe lines and the scene though some lines seem kind of out of place I liked it more the second time around, I didn't get the same feeling I did the first time, I think I got "the package" thing to a bit better. There's more but I'm drawing a sudden blank as to what else I was going to say. Well, I think I'll bump 7.5 up to 8/10 right now.

Oh yeah, how did Carrie get back so fast? Did she return to the super secret base by helicopter or something??
Last edited by PHOENIXZERO on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:23 pm

Just finished watching it on the Amazon "Unbox". Here's my thoughts... WAY more action than the pilot, which was great to see. I thought the turbo boost from a "revved up stand still was awsome, in that we have never seen it done that way before. They brought back the original "whoosh whoosh" sound effect! :good: The humor was great, especially the whole Michael Long thing! The HUD was very kool, and I particularly like the video parts. The visual effects in this are top notch. KITT transforming was done very well, and worked great within the story elements. The story was well written, and we will definitely see an arch through the different episodes. If I had ONE complaint, it would have to be KITT's voice. I know KITT is supposed to "young" and still "learning", but the sound was just, I don't know, off. It just doesn't have the effect of him talking through the car's speakers like the original did. KITT's voice needs to sound different than the other characters in the show. Overall, they did a very nice job, and it was leaps and bounds better than the pilot. I can't wait to see what develops next week!!! 8)

:kitt: :karr:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:30 pm

You mean two weeks because we'll now have to wait that long to see what happens next. :( But hey! We'll get to watch the first episode again, on TV this time. :P

KTMCDO
Recruit

Post by KTMCDO » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:36 pm

And I so feel like punching Torres in the face. Real hard.
i couldnt agree more he is such a jerk :D
Last edited by KTMCDO on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bige12
Rookie

Post by bige12 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:37 pm

I just got done watching it also. It seems like this Knight Rider series will do good and after watching the first episode I think NBC will defentily order more episodes for the first season and more season to follow

The first episode lived up to my expectations. To me KITT was excellent.

I can not wait until apple puts it up on I tunes, I'm defentily going to get and put it on my iPhone

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:43 pm

I totally expected them to go through the door For me, after watching it a few times now, I think GST hit it near dead on. It was nonstop from the first moment to the last. I wish it was a 2hr episode, I felt kind of spun around it all and then it ended. The character development from the original plot to now was a nice extension of their stories too.

The VFX was great. The HUD was beautiful - I just someone would cover up the stock dash (do I need to read power adapter every time I look at KITTs VM?) Attack KITT transforming at night was beautifully rendered. Hugh kudos to everyone on that team.

The acting was spot on from all involved, and Yancey's character seems to be more evil than he's letting on in the interviews we've seen so that's really interesting. It's also interesting that this KITT is doing things on his own without permission from the foundation. The KI2T was very by the book - but here KI3T is scanning folders and ease dropping - could this lead to some of the rebellion down the road? Perhaps.

My issues are minor ones I feel can be adjusted over time. I always felt the "whoosh whoosh" was the scanner going left to right in one pass, and here it seems to complete the sound in half a pass. The action never stopped, and so too didn't the music - it nearly left me with a headache at points. Not sure how I feel about Smith Cho's character, she seems too shticky - hopefully they can expand her better as the weeks go on. What happened with the cypher and what exactly does he decode.

Worst part of this episode? Is that we have to wait two weeks for more!

Rjaniz
Recruit

Post by Rjaniz » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:51 pm

MUCH MUCH better than the movie. things actually HAPPENED!!! Very cool.

I like the storyline(s), the gadgets, could've used a bit more exposition on the speaking baddies though, I'm hoping that comes in time. Loved the HUD effects, every bit of them, though I couldn't help thinking "he's going to crash playing with that stuff. I know I would." hehe

I'm liking Smith's play with the Zoe character, but I'm not liking the character (her's was the only one that I had any kind of issue with). Like someone mentioned, she looked like her lines were just there to have her have something to say. Still, for a pilot I know it's tough, so it's not like a big deal or anything (yet)

The transformation CG I wasn't liking. The car looks too gray during it. The camera matching and everything is cool, just the car's color is off (or something. Whatever it is, it's small.).

Still don't like Kilmer as KITT, but that's just me. I was hoping I'd like it after they had time to properly record the voice, but his voice just doesn't fit with the rest of the "persona" of the car/show. The car and the show is supposed to be aggressive and fierce... Val's voice sounds soft, mellow and relaxed. Nothing against the guy, I just don't like it.

But overall, VERY good. I think it tied with some of the better episodes of the original series.

Thanks for bringing KNIGHT RIDER BACK! :good: :kitt:

Will
Rookie

Post by Will » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:52 pm

*Huggles the new episode.* It was cute!
If at first you don't succeed...cheat, repeat, until caught...

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:57 pm

Well that was just awesome! I'm sure the next episode will be even better. Big shout out to zoostory, you said to look closely at the voice modulator...
very nice to see the original KITT voice modulator incorporated
...Thanks man!! :good:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:10 pm

Just saw it on Amazon (it's not available on Hulu or iTunes yet last I checked about an hour or so ago).

In short: I LOVED IT!
Yup, I too thought that KITT was going through the doors. I was on the edge of my seat! - Loved the Scanner sound!
- Great work on the truck transformation and it's use! It wasn't all for nothing.
- I liked the way they tweaked the new theme music so it's got more of the original integrated into it, or at least it seemed like.
- I saw a Silver Ford Taurus SE during the chase scene at about 26:01 (the Taurus was coming at the camera). It looks to be a 2000 or 4th gen styling. Glad to see my car represented! (Mine's the older 98/99 styling though).
- LOVED THE HUD!! Great work guys! And the faint old-style 3-bar KITT vox integrated into the globe! :) I noticed when both Sarah and Michael talked to KITT when they were outside of KITT, that they didn't use any bluetooth or comlink. That they just talked and could hear him. Implants or something?? Makes me wonder because didn't at some point it was talked that the original Michael Knight was supposed to have had implants to talk to KITT but then they decided on the watch com-link for the show instead? All in all, I can't wait for the next episode! Also, folks please log in to Amazon.com and get going with the reviews/comments! :) The better it's reviewed, maybe Amazon.com will make more of these available!

Hope Hulu and iTunes catches up soon!
Last edited by FuzzieDice on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:11 pm

BTW, for those that don't know, it's on Amazon.com's Video On Demand for FREE right now!

Taichi
Rookie

Post by Taichi » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:35 pm

Now that I've finished it, I'll give it my 2 cents.

HUD
Turbo Boost is back
The way the voice modulator looks in the direction of who he's talking to.
The faint, but there, 3 bars of the VM
Michael Knight
The way information is being with held on Mike - seems there is a lot more going on.
New intro - although it could have been better.
KITT being more caring and understanding to Mike and Sarah then to everyone at the KR facility. The way he was listening to Yancey's character and Charles at the end, then scanning the files... I feel KITT is going to make a very unbreakable bond with Mike... almost to the point of going rouge to keep what he knows secret.

Dislikes:
Turbo Boost of the under body... that was too much in my opinion...
CG of Turbo Boost, mainly of the car flying through the air. Other then that it was great.
Fire scene went too long.
Driving on the train tracks... for some reason, I really didn't like that scene.
Michael not thinking about his name more.
The music - however! I feel that, like it was mentioned before, that hearing it on the computer is not the best... hearing it on the TV will probably be better.
Zoe and Billy - they haven't grown on me yet.

I think that's it.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:38 pm

Only for the first episode, every episode after will almost certainly not be free, unless they only charge for when you download which I wish they'd allow right now but they probably won't until next week.

EDIT: OOOH! I got you now FuzzieDice! I didn't bother actually logging in and going through the "ordering" it. I did now and I see it in the "video library". Hopefully whatever DRM they put in the file doesn't prevent me from playing it on my PMP. :D
Last edited by PHOENIXZERO on Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calhoun24
Recruit

Post by calhoun24 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:40 pm

First time poster, long time fan.

I just saw the premiere on NBC.com, and I have to say it is better than the TV movie in many cases, but not all.
I liked the return of the famed scanner sound, but I have to agree that it needs to sync up more with the scanner itself. If they can up the speed of the dual scanner, this could easily be remedied.

The transformation thing - I can handle. Seems logical in certain cases, and it's not like the Knight 3000 will be stuck in those modes for long.

The new Turbo Boost - very nice. Basically a controlled nitrous burst, but it worked.

The HUD, I like how they can use the interface like they did with the console in the classic series. However, I have to agree that in some cases we need to see Michael press buttons to activate certain things. Perhaps a Turbo Boost HUD icon would remedy this.

The two techs, Billy and Zoe - OK, but the byplay between them was laid on a little thick at times. I understand why, but it's dangerously bordering on Dennis/Gill territory from TKR. Crank it down a few, and they should be fine.

Michael - I agree that it would have been nice to see him mull over the choice of his new name a little, but it does seem logical to choose Michael Knight.

The reference back to Michael Long - very nice.

Michael and Sarah - this is a little more compelling, especially with Sarah telling him he proposed, and she said yes, even though he doesn't remember. Definitely makes the dynamic between them much more interesting...and makes me root for them a little more now, compared to it being a little force in the movie.

Torres - he might be evil, but then again, it just might be something he can't say. In any case, he has a lot to answer for, especially where Michael, Sarah, and the Knight 3000 are involved.

Knight 3000 - very nice. I'm glad they reiterate the fact he's a learning AI, and scanned that file as well as monitored the conversation between Charles and Torres. Something tells me he'll also start putting the pieces together independently. Also, the humor he showed was spot on.

One thing I also liked was the re-inclusion of the plane set from the movie. When I saw the series was greenlighted, one of the first things that came to mind was that they need a Mobile Unit, since missions would NOT be confined to California. And with the SSC being introduced and showcased in many of the promo materials, I thought they would destroy it, or worse yet, ignore it. I'm so glad they didn't. In fact, it feels more like the classic series with the Knight 3000 backing up and doing 180s as he exits the plane.

One thing that bothered me was that they kept mentioning Knight Industries and Knight Research and Development. I understand that, and there was no real time to say it, but we need to hear on occasion that Michael and others are working for FLAG. Hope they do so in future episodes.

No other concerns that come up at this time. But with all that being said I'd give it an B+/A-. It's the first episode, but they are getting there.

Other than that, this episode has satiated my appetite for the time being. Too bad we have to wait two weeks until the next new episode, but I don't regret it...

:wink:
"One man can make a difference." - Wilton Knight
Long live Wilton's dream and F.L.A.G.!

KTMCDO
Recruit

Post by KTMCDO » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:44 pm

its up on hulu now

jaimetheking
Operative

Post by jaimetheking » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:33 pm

Fancy a Chat tonight? Anyone? I'll be there!

http://www.knightrideronline.com/chat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Let's discuss this new episode..shall we?

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:47 pm

I do fancy a chat, I'm there now. :lol: Where's everyone else?

bige12
Rookie

Post by bige12 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:25 pm

I wonder when it will be put up on iTunes

mykittcar
Rookie

Post by mykittcar » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:48 pm

hello

the new show is awsome .

if you saw it on amazon you can also download it

at fist i didn't like transformation but like it now

i wonder how long its going to be for the next show if its going to be weekly ?

Radicalas
Operative

Post by Radicalas » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:03 pm

The stupid part was when Carrie and Mike was on the plane, then Mike drove out of it wit KITT to the cave, walked into the basketball room, and there was Carrie :D so why does he even had to left the plane? :D