Life sized cardboard stand ups at a theater near you

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Life sized cardboard stand ups at a theater near you

Post by neps » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:58 pm

I've gotten word that a life size carboard cutouts/standups will be at theaters promoting the new series - with both Justin and KITT on them. If you are at your local theater, give a look around and send us a pic if you find them!

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Re: Life sized cardboard stand ups at a theater near you

Post by Sue » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:09 pm

Oh goodie! This will look very nice in my garage next to my five story billboard and my new Mustang GT. :mrgreen:
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:15 pm

I find it problematic that a television show is advertising inside a motion picture venue (theater lobby). I think it sends a mixed message to the audience and could prove a conflict of interest as it is walking a very fine line between theatrical and television rights.

=VK=
:dash:

nee716
Operative

Post by nee716 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:25 pm

I agree with VK. I know Regal first look had the 2 min preview in jan/february and show the updated commerical between the first look now. I just came from the theater and saw this same exact unit. But if you look behind KITT there are LED's and a controler of some sort like the scanner is supossed to light up. I was about to take a pic of it and some suit came over, jumped in front of my phone and said "sir you are not allowed to take pictures in here" I just looked at him and said "are you serious" this is in the lobby not the theater itself. instead of causing a scene I just walked away. Hopefully someone else wont have silly teenage security @ their local theater and verify this for me? Thanks!!

Anthony
:kittconv2:

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:43 pm

I worked for Regal. They do not like pictures being taken inside, in the lobby or even of the outside of their theaters. It's company policy. It's something they are touchy about.

As for the confusion about TV show advertsing in their theaters. Regal has promoted a number of NBC shows in the past like Miss Match and Surface. The most confusing one they did was show ads for the TNT Evel Knievel TV movie in their theaters.

nee716
Operative

Post by nee716 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:05 pm

Hey Judd-

Okay cool at least I got clarification on the whole regal takin pics thing Thanks! But I can swear that scanner is supossed to work.

Will
Rookie

Post by Will » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:13 pm

Dudes...they have one over here and I asked them if I could have some swag. There was a guy who had it first so I had to pay the guy 40 bucks for it...but when it comes off the floor its mines! Thanks for tellin us or I wouldn't have known.
If at first you don't succeed...cheat, repeat, until caught...

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:29 pm

victor kros wrote:I find it problematic that a television show is advertising inside a motion picture venue (theater lobby). I think it sends a mixed message to the audience and could prove a conflict of interest as it is walking a very fine line between theatrical and television rights.
TV shows have been advertising in theaters for years, this is nothing new. Why is it problematic? No legal rights are being stomped on here. Heck, it can help promote things too. I'm of the theory that if a theatrical KR project launches and the series is successful they will complement each other. A perfect example is "Transformers" which has a successful TV franchise and now a theatrical franchise, both of which ran parallel to each other. There was no conflict and indeed the two fed off of the publicity established by the other.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:13 pm

i totally agree with victor, nbc shouldn't be allowed to put posters for the tv series in movie theatres, thats not fair to glen larson and his movie. thats really a crappy thing for nbc universal to do!!!!!!
in glen larson we trust.

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:24 pm

knightprobe89 wrote:i totally agree with victor, nbc shouldn't be allowed to put posters for the tv series in movie theatres, thats not fair to glen larson and his movie. thats really a crappy thing for nbc universal to do!!!!!!
Don't be daft,

At this point in time, the Knight Rider movie is still in the pre-production stage, and as such, it isn't even a blip on any radar other than our own right now. You might have had a fair point if the script was already approved, and the budget was set, but until such a time that that's the case, the movie won't even be an afterthought to the corporate suits that are in charge of this kind of thing.

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:08 pm

Not with standees, I'm not talking about the tv spots before movies or posters being strung about or banners. Standees in theaters is strictly a motion picture based form of advertising inside a theater.

It's not like seeing a standee up inside a Blockbuster or major retail store like Best Buy or Target. It's a whole different set of policies with standee locations to consider and that is problematic.

As far as I'm concerned television advertising inside a theater should not overlap with motion pictures. It's bad enough I go to a movie and have to sit through 10 minutes of commercials, then trailers, then actually get to see the movie actually came to watch like 20 minutes after the "start time". Absolutely rediculous.

If gives the impression it's a motion picture that is coming soon, not a television show despite what it might say in small print on the standee itself. It absolutely is an insult to Glen's motion picture and I don't really care who wishes to disagree with me about it, it's how I feel about the situation and that's not going to change.

That is the problem - it gives the impression a motion picture is coming, not a television show you can see for free at home.

=VK=

Shapeshifter
FLAG Recruit

Post by Shapeshifter » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:41 pm

NBC has figured out that the same audience that goes to the movies might be interested in the KR series. I see nothing wrong with advertising in the theater lobby. If the public can't figure out what is a theatrical release and what's on television, that's their problem.

I went to the movies yesterday and bought some popcorn, and the bag was covered in KR promotion. There was also a teaser running in the lobby on the TV monitors and a teaser before the previews. I, for one, and heartened by all the promotion that NBC is doing. It has nothing to do with the KR movie, if that ever gets off the ground. NBC is just promoting the hell out the their property, and why shouldn't they?

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:55 pm

victor kros wrote: That is the problem - it gives the impression a motion picture is coming, not a television show you can see for free at home.
We certainly wouldn’t want anyone to think a motion picture was coming. :mrgreen:
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:13 am

Shapeshifter wrote:NBC has figured out that the same audience that goes to the movies might be interested in the KR series. I see nothing wrong with advertising in the theater lobby. If the public can't figure out what is a theatrical release and what's on television, that's their problem.

I went to the movies yesterday and bought some popcorn, and the bag was covered in KR promotion. There was also a teaser running in the lobby on the TV monitors and a teaser before the previews. I, for one, and heartened by all the promotion that NBC is doing. It has nothing to do with the KR movie, if that ever gets off the ground. NBC is just promoting the hell out the their property, and why shouldn't they?
- With all due respect you've been in league with NBCU's "Knight Rider" since the beginning. Of course you don't mind seeing it plastered everywhere. Regardless, my vantage point remains unchanged.

=VK=

Matthew
Site Administrator

Post by Matthew » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:56 am

Come on now Vic,

We all know that you’re as equally supportive of the movie as Seeker is the series, so this is hardly an argument that will hold a lot of weight with those of us that are observing this thread.

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:33 am

Matthew wrote:Come on now Vic,

We all know that you’re as equally supportive of the movie as Seeker is the series, so this is hardly an argument that will hold a lot of weight with those of us that are observing this thread.

Matt
- My original dispute was regarding standees for television shows in movie theaters. Shapeshifter chose to support his rebutal by citing his admiration for the series as his basis for not minding the advertisements, this did not address the standee dispute itself. That's why I pointed out that liking or disliking the subject of said standees was a moot point. In regards to his latter comment about "It has nothing to do with the KR movie, if that ever gets off the ground", is actually a VERY RELEVANT point to the standee concern because IT DOES HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE MOVIE. Clearly I have explained there is a seperation between Knight Rider properties with respects to television and theatrical rights.

Those exclusive rights to keep the properties seperate gets tainted when you have a television show advertising in a theatrical format venue. They know Glen intends to release his movie in theaters. It's a conflict of interest and I'm not changing that viewpoint.

However this is my opinion, as far as Glen is concerned he's making money on both projects. In my personal opinion, I personally find it disrespectful and out of context inside a movie theater where the standees are meant to tell the viewing audience what is coming TO THEATERS not the small screen. Sure run a wrongly formatted 3:2 commercial on a 16:9 screen if you have to but keep the lobbies the way they're meant to be, showcasing the motion pictures.

I suppose it's yet another example of our modern times making changes to things I just don't approve of.

I remember the days when you went to a theater, bought your reasonably priced concession stand food, watched maybe one add for coke or candy (let's all go to the lobby and get ourselves a snack!) some great trailers and enjoyed a movie. You didn't have to go to the movies to see commercials for things on the tv you can watch at home anyway. Movie theaters were special because they seperated you from your typical lifestyle experience but now that's no longer the case and that's sort of cheapened the movie going experience in my opinion.

There must have been 5 trailers and 3 commercials in front of The Dark Knight before the movie actually started! Ugh talk about irritating! IMAX on the other hand tends to be so much better at limiting their trailers and I've never seen a commercial run in front of a IMAX movie probably because of the limited space on the projectors.

One change I do greatly admire though is the concept of ordering your tickets in advance and having comfortable seating. That's one thing technology has done and done right.

=VK=

chrisjones
FLAG Recruit

Post by chrisjones » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:02 am

All this over a cardboard stand-up that most people at 'worst' will walk past and say "cool! Knight Rider!"

Really no-one gives a crap if a TV show is advertised in a Theater lobby.

Its not worth busting a vein over. :wink:

Since the TV show is airing now it makes sense to push it everywhere possible, be it TV spots, cornflake packets or shock horror, in Theatre lobbys!

If you understand the industry as much as you claim to, you will realize that its very much a 'dog eat dog' industry. Right now NBC are quite rightly looking out for No.1, they wont give two hoots about a movie thats been in the makings for how many years now!?
[b]No way you mentalist![/b]

Solid Snake
FLAG Recruit

Post by Solid Snake » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:15 am

And also... it is not like the KR movie is running in theatres now and thus it competes or something... Its the same idea as movie trailers shown on TV... just this one is in cardboard. Chill :)!
Knight Rider, powered by Ford!

Radicalas
Operative

Post by Radicalas » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:42 am

Solid Snake wrote:Its the same idea as movie trailers shown on TV... just this one is in cardboard. Chill :)!
I would say the same. So if Glen Larson's movie trailer would be shown on TV, then NBC would be insulted? :)

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:27 am

Not even close, standees and movie trailers are a world of difference, you're going off on tangents. If you don't understand the difference after I've already explained in exhaustive detail I suggest you do your own research.

Let's say for example if Glen/TWC released the motion picture at the same time as this television standee was in the theater and they were both in the same space there would be serious opposition because they're rival studio projects. My point is in my view television standees in general do not belong inside a movie theater lobby regardless of the subject matter. It sends a mixed message.

Shapeshifter chose to make it subjective to the rival Knight Rider projects and in that aspect, it is very much a competition and quite disrespectful in my view. I know NBCU doesn't care they just want to plaster their advertising everywhere they can manage to do it and promote their show. That's fine but at least try to respect the sanctity of the boundries between motion pictures and made for television projects.

There was a time that television (let alone car/phone commercials) were not allowed anywhere near a motion picture screen (short of a advertisement for the theater itself, like buying snacks, coke, etc) but like so many other things, times have changed. I've already mentioned the countless commercials and whatnot we now have to deal with when all we want to do is go see a couple trailers and enjoy the blasted movie we pay too much to see in the first place. (then there's refreshments)

I don't need to chill, you need to pay more attention if you wish to get involved with the topic.

=VK=

chrisjones
FLAG Recruit

Post by chrisjones » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:38 am

Im sure reps at NBC will be reading this thread with great interest.

Lets deal with real world facts.

NBC paid to advertise Knight Rider in the Theater(s), owners agreed and the ad was placed.

Punters walk past and think "cool, Knight Rider is back on TV" - The end, thats it, nothing more, nothing less.

Your thinking way, waaaaaaaaaay too deeply about this. Theres no conspiracy, theres no hate campaign involved and there's certainly no way they (NBC) are doing things out of disrespect.

I'm sure NBC were thinking 'Hey lets screw Glen and spend $1000's putting ads for our show in the theaters'. Somehow I doubt that very much.

ITS A FRIGGIN CARDBOARD CUT OUT, its not smack in the face or a death threat. Really, its noooooothing!
[b]No way you mentalist![/b]

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:49 am

Don't you think that when the time comes, and the show is still on the air - TWC will advertise during Knight Rider on NBC. Companies are going to advertise where ever they can find their audience, be it NASCAR or your local theater.

I highly doubt this is the first time a TV series is advertised in a movie theater. But without citing specific examples, I can't be sure of that. I just don't get how this is an issue. I see your thinking Victor, but I don't think its valid. If Movies can advertise on my TV DVDs, why can't TV advertise wherever in the Movies?

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:52 am

victor kros wrote:That is the problem - it gives the impression a motion picture is coming, not a television show you can see for free at home.
Except that it says right on the standee "Wednesdays this fall NBC" with the Peacock logo in bold white lettering. Anyone who makes the mistake you indicate simply isn't paying attention.

You are also not taking into account the fact that KR08 is being advertised in print, television and store venues that have announced its air date on NBC, bolstering the campaign. Public consciousness of this show is high enough that I doubt there is mass confusion over whether this is a motion picture or a TV show.

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:56 am

neps wrote:I highly doubt this is the first time a TV series is advertised in a movie theater. But without citing specific examples, I can't be sure of that. I just don't get how this is an issue. I see your thinking Victor, but I don't think its valid. If Movies can advertise on my TV DVDs, why can't TV advertise wherever in the Movies?
"Bionic Woman" received similar treatment when it first launched, though I don't recall if it had standees (I recall seeing posters and a preview before movies). Advertising TV shows in theaters is every bit as much of a part of "theater culture" now as Coke commercials and ads for local restaurants.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:46 pm

"Advertising TV shows in theaters is every bit as much of a part of "theater culture" now as Coke commercials and ads for local restaurants."

- No, it is not common place with respects to standees in a movie theater. That's my position on the subject and that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned. I'm done trying to explain it in further detail. You just don't "get it" you really don't see the greater picture. It's television advertising in a MOVIE THEATER where MOTION PICTURES are shown, NOT TELEVISION shows. It's like putting up a Ad for Star Wars figures inside a Pizza Hut and never intending to actually sell them there. I don't care if it has "wednesdays this fall on NBC" that's not the point, it's subjective location. Television marketing is invading a territory that has up to now been reserved for motion picture advertising.

It started with a poster here, banner there, then the trailers and commercials, and now this. I just don't care for it and as far as Knight Rider is concerned, its a conflict of interest period. Whether you agree or disagree with me at this point is no longer relevant. You believe and accept what you wish.

=VK=