Jalopnik Drives KITT

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Jalopnik Drives KITT

Post by neps » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:48 pm

Review and pictures from the drive with KITT last month - get the drool cup ready - some purty shots:

http://jalopnik.com/5044028/kitt-first-drive

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Re: Jalopnik Drives KITT

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:46 pm

Definitely some pretty pictures. Although, I can't figure out why Jalopnik would want to do a featurette on the GT500KR when they could have chosen the Attack K.I.T.T. which certainly doesn't have "off the rack" parts. Maybe they're most concerned with vehicles that are actually for sale to the public. I realize there's a big difference in suspension and horsepower between the GT500 they featured once before and the GT500KR, but it doesn't seem like a big enough difference to do a whole new exposé on it. Everybody loves to stress this 540 horsepower fact.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:04 pm

Lost Knight wrote:Definitely some pretty pictures. Although, I can't figure out why Jalopnik would want to do a featurette on the GT500KR when they could have chosen the Attack K.I.T.T. which certainly doesn't have "off the rack" parts. Maybe they're most concerned with vehicles that are actually for sale to the public. I realize there's a big difference in suspension and horsepower between the GT500 they featured once before and the GT500KR, but it doesn't seem like a big enough difference to do a whole new exposé on it. Everybody loves to stress this 540 horsepower fact.
The attack, although outwardly very different, doesnt actually have the gt500kr engine underneath. Nor does it need it as most of the scenes featuring it are going to be using sped up footage. I'd imagine in reality, the Attack Kitt is heavier than the standard car as well as having a smaller powerplant...

Does anyone know the actual stats of the Attack Kitt in reality?

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:08 pm

pheonix_knight wrote:The attack, although outwardly very different, doesnt actually have the gt500kr engine underneath. Nor does it need it as most of the scenes featuring it are going to be using sped up footage. I'd imagine in reality, the Attack Kitt is heavier than the standard car as well as having a smaller powerplant...

Gary Scott Thompson has said that they've gotten it to go up to 377 M.P.H. It's packin' more than just a Shelby GT500KR engine.

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:21 pm

Lost Knight wrote:
pheonix_knight wrote:The attack, although outwardly very different, doesnt actually have the gt500kr engine underneath. Nor does it need it as most of the scenes featuring it are going to be using sped up footage. I'd imagine in reality, the Attack Kitt is heavier than the standard car as well as having a smaller powerplant...

Gary Scott Thompson has said that they've gotten it to go up to 377 M.P.H. It's packin' more than just a Shelby GT500KR engine.
Didn't he say that KITT can drive up to 377MPH in the show?!? As fictional stats.
Which doesn't mean the car can really go this fast. I don't think they ever gave actual values.

jaimetheking
Operative

Post by jaimetheking » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:23 pm

Lost Knight wrote:

Are you serious? He Said that? :roll:

No way it can do 377 MPH! That car would fall apart! :shock:

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:30 pm

thats the car's speed in the show, thats not what i was getting at

Does anyone know the ACTUAL speed away from TV land of the car(s) used in Attack Mode?

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:06 pm

Seems AutoBlog also had time with the car. *ahem* Heeeeeeeellooooo Ford???

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/02/in-t ... -gt500-kr/

My only gripe is the scanner - the car I saw in February (which I think was a ford promo car) had the proper scanner, as did the attack KITT at the Comic Con.

Still - I wouldn't look negatively if I got the chance to get behind the wheel...

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:49 pm

Too bad they didn't modify the interior. But KITT looks really good on the fotos. The hood looks better than the self-made one they used in the backdoor pilot.

Man, I'd love to drive that car :P

King2000
Volunteer

Post by King2000 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:53 pm

The GT500KR is okay, but as far as real life performance, its weight, solid rear axle, and weak straight line speed make it a subpar sportscar for it's price range.
Edmunds Insideline:

Meanwhile, the 2008 Ford Shelby GT500KR is besieged on the starting line by wheelspin. Its skinnier P285/40ZR18 Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar rear tires (a different compound than that of the Vette's tires, plus they're not run-flats) struggle to find grip out of the hole, and it takes a deliberate 1-2 upshift to avoid smoking them again in 2nd. Our best numbers are 4.9 seconds to 60 mph (or 4.5 seconds with rollout) and 12.8 seconds at 114.6 mph for the quarter-mile.

This is hardly the pace of a despot. In addition to the ZR1, Z06, Viper, GT2 and GT-R, the King of the Road is liable to have its ass handed to it by any number of AMG Benzes.
82k is way too much for this car.

ReddawgKnight
FLAG Assistant

Post by ReddawgKnight » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:23 pm

i like how the dual scanner looks in those pix...my opinion it should stay that way. :good:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:12 pm

Garthe Knight wrote:Didn't he say that KITT can drive up to 377MPH in the show?!? As fictional stats.
Which doesn't mean the car can really go this fast. I don't think they ever gave actual values.
It could have been; maybe I misunderstood. From what I gathered, the Attack car is meant for straight speed/acceleration. The way Gary Scott Thompson said it made it sound like they were trying to see how fast they could get the car to go in real-life.

Anyway, regarding speeding up the footage: that's what I've been saying all along. Why continually boast about the fact that it has 540 horsepower when it doesn't actually need to have it?

jaimetheking
Operative

Post by jaimetheking » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:16 pm

Does anyone know how many real Shelby's...the KR Show owns?
My Guess: 2 Shelby's (One for High Speeds), one for beauty shots.
3 Attack Kitts
Other regular mustangs for interior shots and stunts!

Wish I could see the car carrier for the show! I remember when I was a Kid, I had gone to universal studios and I saw one of those car carriers they use to transport new cars, and it was full with KI2Ts! That was awsome!

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:55 pm

jaimetheking wrote:Does anyone know how many real Shelby's...the KR Show owns?
3 Attack Kitts
Well I know there are 2 Attack K.I.T.T.s; one has Lamborghini doors and the other doesn't. The amount of regular K.I.T.T.s is anyone's guess, but I would say at least 5. I forgot the actual amount that was supposed to be used for the show, but some were specifically only tour cars with the Shelby lettering and old fashioned scanner.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:01 pm

They probably only have one or two KRs, we know they didn't use the KR for the Attack Mode version, wasn't really needed anyway. Hell, the KR wasn't needed for the Hero car either but eh, oh well. I too hope that when the newer design, apparently sleeker model is released KITT gets an upgrade. Of course that's assume the series last long enough to make is a possibility.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:34 pm

neps wrote:Seems AutoBlog also had time with the car. *ahem* Heeeeeeeellooooo Ford???

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/02/in-t ... -gt500-kr/

My only gripe is the scanner - the car I saw in February (which I think was a ford promo car) had the proper scanner, as did the attack KITT at the Comic Con.

Still - I wouldn't look negatively if I got the chance to get behind the wheel...
We got a call from Ford that a very exciting vehicle was available for the taking; a replica of the actual Ford Mustang GT500 KR that plays KITT in the upcoming television series.
Finally an article that admits it’s only a replica. But we knew that all along. It looks like it still has that great GPS! I only wish there was a way we could track this cars progress on line. It appears in the most interesting of locations.
I’m guessing that this will be the same car that will appear Sept 13 in Denver as seen in our news section.

I hope someone can get out and take some pictures of him there too. He’s kind of our not so flat flat Stanley :mrgreen:
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:32 pm

Is it just me, or does hero Kitt look more impressive than Attack Kitt?

Not wishing in the slightest to start a debate - but....Kitt looks awesome like this!

Dont get me wrong, I understand the need for Attack Kitt and its aggressiveness and purpose but what is it about the clean lines of these pics eh?

I did`nt convert to the Mustang as easily as I would have liked but seeing these pics, puts Kitt in a new light!

Im now converted.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:36 pm

Sue wrote:I’m guessing that this will be the same car that will appear Sept 13 in Denver as seen in our news section.

I hope someone can get out and take some pictures of him there too. He’s kind of our not so flat flat Stanley :mrgreen:
John (we met him at SDCC) is in charge of the event. He said the Shelby GT500KR that is coming is from the local Ford dealer, and not one with the scanner in place. Doesn't matter to me though - still a hot car with or without the lights.

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:24 pm

jaimetheking wrote:Wish I could see the car carrier for the show! I remember when I was a Kid, I had gone to universal studios and I saw one of those car carriers they use to transport new cars, and it was full with KI2Ts! That was awsome!
I wish I was there to see that...When did they get rid of KITT at Universal Studios?Was it before the 90's?
weeezl wrote:Is it just me, or does hero Kitt look more impressive than Attack Kitt?
Not wishing in the slightest to start a debate - but....Kitt looks awesome like this!
I like the hero KI3T more than Attack KI3T,too...Although I like both very much. :D
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

jaimetheking
Operative

Post by jaimetheking » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:30 am

Sky_Blue_Civic wrote:
jaimetheking wrote:Wish I could see the car carrier for the show! I remember when I was a Kid, I had gone to universal studios and I saw one of those car carriers they use to transport new cars, and it was full with KI2Ts! That was awsome!
I wish I was there to see that...When did they get rid of KITT at Universal Studios?Was it before the 90's?
man, that had to be late 80's. :D

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:44 am

Only KITT I got to see at Universal Studios was that one they had on display, I think that was 1989 or 1990. Wish I had photos but either the film got exposed to regular light or something, I can't remember exactly what happened. I'd have to ask my mother next time I talk to her.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:33 am

jaimetheking wrote:Does anyone know how many real Shelby's...the KR Show owns?
3 Attack Kitts

Wish I could see the car carrier for the show! I remember when I was a Kid, I had gone to universal studios and I saw one of those car carriers they use to transport new cars, and it was full with KI2Ts! That was awsome!
Well this is what old attack KITT and regular KITT look like on one. I’m guessing you’ll be the first to see it Jamie! Keep your camera at the ready! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BYCnOkgGBI
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

jaimetheking
Operative

Post by jaimetheking » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:13 am

Wow...cool video!

Wish I was the transportation captain on Knight Rider.
I would get to driven everyday!

Sue, you going to Saugus next Sat?

Mblackphoenix
Rookie

Post by Mblackphoenix » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:40 am

Interesting Articel from Jalopnik.
I was amazed from the picture of the Hero-Car.
For me it could give more picture of it. :D
Greetings

Phoenix / Sabine