my opinion

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Dukeboy320
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

my opinion

Post by Dukeboy320 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:40 pm

lets look at REALISTIC facts........for most of its SEVEN seasons the dukes used REAL CARS for the stunts!!!! KR for most of its 4 seasons used airfix kits or a jello mould replica fixed to a wooden plank.its dukes all the way, and then some for me :wink:

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Re: my opinion

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:05 pm

I'm washing my hands of this one... If Dukeboy is going to open that door, feel free to run through it! :)

(well, within reason of course!)
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:30 pm

Are you saying the stunts were better in DOH? Or that they were better because they could jump a stock Charger and bend it instead of breaking it into two? :good: Entertainment wise I think both shows were over the top when it came to cool stunts. Any gear head knows the structural integrity between an old Charger and a 3rd gen f-body is like night and day, I think that's partially your point; correct me if I'm wrong. They're two great shows that I grew up loving the best but DOH fell far by the wayside when Knight Rider premiered...all those cool gadgets and WOW a talking car!! lol

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:02 pm

The only competition between the shows was for ratings in the 80`s.

I dont really see how you can compare the two...

The only thing in common - was that the shows featured now iconic cars and the fact they jumped alot.

Totally different shows, does`nt mean I`m against DOH at all, far from it. I loved most of the 80`s shows,Dukes Of Hazzard (technically 1979), The A Team, Magnum, Airwolf, Streethawk, Miami Vice and Automan which mostly featured cool heroe vehicles but if I`m gonna pick one then.....

Knight Rider it is!
:kitt: :kittside: :kittconv: :karr: :kitt2: :kittspin: :spmgo: :kittconv2: all the way baby!

Dukes was cool and I agree they used real cars for stunts, only thing I would say is they trashed so many Chargers theres hardly any left......what a shame. :cry:

Anyway Kitt could have the General anyday! :lol: :dance:

Kitt says "Bring it on General and kiss my MB-ASS!" :wink: :D

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:52 am

Dukes was a really fun show. I wore a Dukes halloween costume one year and had a Dukes birthday party (table cloth, cups, plates, napkins.) The characters are wonderful. I remember watching the Dukes cartoon. The only fault Dukes has is well the same exact thing happens in every episode.

The very first promo I ever saw for Knight Rider showed KITT under a white cloth parked beside a Dodge Charger. The promo basically said "Hey if you like Dukes you're going to love Knight Rider." It's been a while since I've seen it.

Afetr Knight Rider premiered I stopped watching Dukes. I do admit Dukes doesn't look at dated as Knight Rider does. And Dukes lasted I think for seven seasons compared top Knight Rider's four.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:04 pm

Well given the choice between a stock 70s Charger and a stock 80s Firebird I'd take the Charger. But a choice between the General Lee and KITT would go to KITT any day of the week.

I'm not exactly sure what your point is though...That the show was better because it jumped real Chargers? Personally I'd just call that wasteful but like the others have pointed out, a Charger could withstand a jump much better than a Firebird could.

And as for the fantasy cars, KITT could jump on his own volition, the Dukes needed to find a conveniently ramp-shaped pile of dirt. Which...somehow...they always found. And with that in mind I don't know how you think Dukes doesn't look as dated, Judd. In addition to the film quality looking decades older, most episodes are largely indistinguishable from the others.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Dukeboy320
Rookie

Post by Dukeboy320 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:49 pm

don't get me wrong i luv kr but you can't compaire the two there both gr8 shows why would they realse this poster :|

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:02 pm

That poster says it in itself! It's competition between two networks, rival shows. That's all it was, NBC wanted everyone watching KITT and CBS wanted the same for the General Lee. You can't tell me you never ever had at least one schoolyard argument at recess about which car is cooler lol ok maybe not...you're 13.

BoMcD
Operative

Post by BoMcD » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:27 pm

Some interesting reading on "Dukeboy320"

Banned from his own little world of Dukes and other boards.. he comes here to start his crap.

http://www.cglfc.com/wforum/viewtopic.p ... ht=#211066
http://www.knightfoundation.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:03 pm

What happens on other boards, let stay on other boards.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:49 pm

Let me clarify my statement about Knight Rider looking more dated than Dukes.

All artwork is a product of its time. When you watch a TV show one can tell what decade it was made in after watching it for five minutes than includes Dukes and KR. Knight Rider has a very 80s look. The set designs, hair styles and clothing all have a very 80's look. It tried to be a modern, hip, trendy series.

Dukes has dated some but I believe the clothes, sets and hair styles haven't aged much. The country style of the series hasn't changed much over the years. It's changed some. I think one can go along with Dukes better than Knight Rider. Hazzard County could easily look pretty much than same today as it did back then without too much of a problem.

For example, Gunsmoke and Bonanza while a product of their time they haven't aged much.

BoMcD
Operative

Post by BoMcD » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:52 pm

Apologies Mike...
http://www.knightfoundation.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dukeboy320
Rookie

Post by Dukeboy320 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:49 pm

i just have to say i appricate your understanding on my fleeings that showa alot of charter you guys are truly great

Dukeboy320
Rookie

Post by Dukeboy320 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:51 pm

Judd wrote:Let me clarify my statement about Knight Rider looking more dated than Dukes.

All artwork is a product of its time. When you watch a TV show one can tell what decade it was made in after watching it for five minutes than includes Dukes and KR. Knight Rider has a very 80s look. The set designs, hair styles and clothing all have a very 80's look. It tried to be a modern, hip, trendy series.

Dukes has dated some but I believe the clothes, sets and hair styles haven't aged much. The country style of the series hasn't changed much over the years. It's changed some. I think one can go along with Dukes better than Knight Rider. Hazzard County could easily look pretty much than same today as it did back then without too much of a problem.

For example, Gunsmoke and Bonanza while a product of their time they haven't aged much.
yep because the KR stayle was more the main streem style at the time where dukes is country witch hasen't changed since well...the real cowboys

Stuntman Lee
Rookie

Post by Stuntman Lee » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:43 pm

BoMcD wrote:Some interesting reading on "Dukeboy320"

Banned from his own little world of Dukes and other boards.. he comes here to start his crap.

http://www.cglfc.com/wforum/viewtopic.p ... ht=#211066
That's some nice work, Colombo. :mrgreen:

:spmgo:
Love child of The Hoff.

Showpro1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Showpro1 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:21 pm

Lets face it Dukes Of Hazzard & Knight Rider resorted to using models so that there is guilt if you want to see
it that way.
There are many reasons either shows producers would opt for that one, usually economics certainly not for artistic reasons because both actors & the stuntguys were not thrilled with that one.
Also ten out of ten times it was painfully obvious that models were used, I was a fan of the Dukes but when Knight Rider with its new sleek Trans Am came on the scene I had to switch to Knight Rider.
And when Knight Rider was in re-runs I would check out the Dukes, hey its all good fun both shows had serious action, cool car stunts etc...
As for another reason The Dukes producers went to models is that a Dodge Charger was quickly becoming an endangered species which sad, just look at how expensive they are now.

D. Doggett. :kittspin: :dash:

HisNameisGarth
Operative

Post by HisNameisGarth » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:38 pm

Showpro1 wrote:Lets face it Dukes Of Hazzard & Knight Rider resorted to using models so that there is guilt if you want to see
it that way.
There are many reasons either shows producers would opt for that one, usually economics certainly not for artistic reasons because both actors & the stuntguys were not thrilled with that one.
Also ten out of ten times it was painfully obvious that models were used, I was a fan of the Dukes but when Knight Rider with its new sleek Trans Am came on the scene I had to switch to Knight Rider.
And when Knight Rider was in re-runs I would check out the Dukes, hey its all good fun both shows had serious action, cool car stunts etc...
As for another reason The Dukes producers went to models is that a Dodge Charger was quickly becoming an endangered species which sad, just look at how expensive they are now.

D. Doggett. :kittspin: :dash:
The one thing I will say is that the Dukes of Hazzard stunt men were crazier than the Knight Rider ones.
The General Lee set several world record jumps throughout the show's run. KR never jumped the cars nearly as far.

As for the model shots. The Dukes of Hazzard only starting using models during the last season / Season 7 (their budget was cut to nothing). Knight Rider began using models in the Season 2 premiere. So for overall "cheesy" model usage -- KR was far more guilty (Models used in 75% of the show's run for KR / versus around 10% model episodes on DoH -- only the last 17 episodes had models out of 144 made).

Not really the producers fault on KR. The KR writers jumped the shark often in the scripts -- real cars wouldn't be able to do many of the stunts written about (smashing into the side of an aqueduct or jumping into a high rise condo).
There ain't no E in Garth, damn it.