The Secret is Out...

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

HungarianKnight
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: The Secret is Out...

Post by HungarianKnight » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:45 am

Will this book be available in Hungary?

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:41 pm

If you can order it off amazon.com when it gets listed there, I'd imagine it's availible whereever they ship.

=VK=
:dash:

DeeKnight
Operative

Post by DeeKnight » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:43 pm

I pre ordered this book on bearmanormedia.com,but i received an email today saying my order has been cancelled and they are no longer publishing the book!

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:00 pm

My partner and I feel that our publisher is incapable of giving the book the treatment Knight Rider fans would expect from a book of this magnitude and in color. Their proposal has been to split the book into multiple parts, make it smaller then 6x9 for the sake of saving money and other matters of such an inferior realm of acceptability, I won't even mention them. It's not that our publisher is incompetent, it's simply that they cannot give us the product we need. Our title is too big for their catalog to handle.

Therefore we have dissolved our agreement and are pursuing other publishers/printers that would allow us to give the people what they want, and not something below their expectations. We're not looking to publish a book that is not reasonable, we just want something that would look like it belongs on the shelf with other successful books out there. A book not unlike the graphics you'd find in a school textbook, sans the hardcover. Something of good quality that will last from one generation to the next in full color. I think you, the fans deserve a product that you can enjoy to experience time and time again. Something that's priced reasonably that would hopefully not give you buyer's remorse.

I will not approve a book that does not meet my standards of quality. It's not about making money. If it was about making money I would have approved the protoype we were given knowing it was a product far below the quality you would expect. Publishing this book is about having a quality presentation we can all be proud of, money is secondary.

I would rather see your hard earned money returned to you, then have your disappointment on my conscience. I think that is the proper thing to do at this time. When you see what comes out of this later down the line, I'm sure you'll be once again eager to purchase what at that time WILL actually be released in the format expected and on time.

I really want you to understand that despite these setbacks, I am fighting to present to you, the fans the best book possible. This book will come, like I said it's been delayed to give you what you really want and this takes time and the right people to do it.

=VK=

daroga
Rookie

Post by daroga » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:29 pm

Best of luck, VK. I'd imagine you could find a few publishers excited for it, looking to capitalize on some of the buzz generated by the new series.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Re: Book Progression

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:00 pm

Ok I've always been honest with the community and honestly all I can say about the book at this point is that we are exploring our options availible to us. I can no longer guarantee it will be released in color due to the complications of self publishing limits (mostly finances). I must retract some of my guarantee's short of giving you a product you can be proud of, whether it's in color or grayscale it will have the vital and exciting information you as fans wish to experience. New discoveries, photos, artwork, and information that has been previously unreleased that further expanding the landscape progression of this great cult classic.

What is likely to happen (but I do not guarantee it at this time) is we will release a 680 page grayscale book with clear and crips photos as originally intended and then follow up that release with a 340 page "collectors" edition which will showcase the best photos and artwork in our collection in full color. Because of the high cost of producing color books, we will do the best job we can to give you the best product we can within our power to do so.

I have been informed that in lue of a winter release, it is highly likely our book (in whatever form it takes) will be availible before the new series airs in September. This means you will get a book before the end of the year and quite possibly before the end of next month.

Whether it's released in color or in two seperate volumes is not clear at this time. What I can guarantee you is that no matter color or grayscale, you WILL NOT get a book that does not meet my graphical standards. You will not get another book with newsprint graphics.

It's been a very trying time right now and I am fighting to do what I can for the fans.

I ask you please continue to be patient and understanding, a Knight Rider book of this magnetude has not been released in quite awhile and there are a lot of factors that need to be addressed in order to make a new book possible.

The best is yet to come.

=VK=

Ontario Knight
Operative

Post by Ontario Knight » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:11 am

will this book be available through Barnes and Noble or other book stores in the US and I am in canada so Chapters... :kittconv:

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:54 am

It will be availble through Amazon.com, that's what we know for sure at this time. We are working on getting it listed with Barnes and Nobles and other venues like Borders. I believe you can special order a book through most of the popular bookstore chains as well and they will order a copy for you through their own sources when it becomes listed as availible in their systems.

To avoid any more potential situations of people getting their hopes up and placing pre-orders only to face disappointment, I think it is best not to announce anything more dealing with the book until I have a proof in my possession and have approved it. I believe this is a learning process and despite my intentions to get the "buzz" going, I believe at this point that's been taken care of. From here on out, what I report publically is what should be set in stone.

If some other forum member seeks to announce things early or run off speculation, I won't be held accountable for it. My advice would be, simply wait to hear information regarding the book from me first.

Our last publisher made the mistake of releasing the book announcement early, getting everyone excited to start placing preorders before a proof was approved and assumed it would be. This will not happen again. I will not announce the revised book until its release is official and to my standards of quality (whether color or grayscale). We will do what we can to meet the fans's requests but please understand there are limitations with what we're trying to accomplish.

These things take time so please bare with me.

For those of you going to the Knight Rider Car Show at the Saugus Speedway in CA next Saturday, I will have three prototypes of the book (in grayscale as it was originally created in its entirety) availible for you to see. They will not be for sale, they're just intended to give you an opportunity to preview what is coming.

=VK=

daroga
Rookie

Post by daroga » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:04 am

VK,

Is an electronic release something you've thought of or looked into? I understand the desire to have a physical copy of the book on a shelf, but assuming ebooks have decent DRMs (I've never looked into those), that could be a cost-effective way to go, maybe even to generate some revenue in anticipation of paper release in the future. I know I'd be excited to do that, especially if it meant as a purchaser of the ebook, I could get a discount on the full color, print version down the road.

Mblackphoenix
Rookie

Post by Mblackphoenix » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:07 am

Will it be translated in other languages?
I know at the moment you have work to find the best possibilty to bring it out. ;)
But in near future maybe?
KR Fans are all over the world, but most of them couldn`t understand english. :|
These fans would be pleased. :o
Greetings

Phoenix / Sabine

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:09 am

We feel an e-book might cheapen the presentation and there is no substitute for the portability of a book which requires no electronics to enjoy. We haven't ruled the possibility out as a secondary format release option. Translating the book into other languages depends on international distribution rights and right now we have to get the book approved and released in english first before considering other translation options. Mblackphoenix right now It's just too early in the process to give you a firm answer on that question at this time.

=VK=

Mblackphoenix
Rookie

Post by Mblackphoenix » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:43 am

Its only a reference for a further option. ;)
It would be cool. :lol:
Greetings

Phoenix / Sabine

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:43 am

An e-book can also save a lot of trees too,especially if you're going to print such a big book in many languages. :D
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:13 am

It sounds very good that quality is number one factor in this book release, I'm sure it's worth the wait. I've seen your KR drawings in deviantart and they sure deserve to be printed in high quality & high resolution so the reader can see all the details and work put into them.
Sounds kind of funny how old fashion the book publishers still are if full colour print is even now in the 2000's made very expensive or difficult. It must be the last media with so old fashion printing technology since all the other media today is mostly if not all in full colour and have been in full colour a long time. Haven't seen a magazine or even a newspaper with black & white nor greyscale pics in a long time unless they're old archive photos.
Here's an idea for the book publishers, make new books that contain drawings and photos always with full colour, it might get more people interested in reading books again.
I agree having a physical book is much better than e-book, I also prefer physical DVD:s instead of electronic downloaded file and physical music CD instead of MP3 file :)

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:05 pm

Thank you for the updates. It must be frustrating but I hope we get to see the book you've been working on.

Did you consider releasing the color parts of the book in a magzine format perhaps with a thick cover?

I would like to know if your book will discuss Knight Rider merchandising or any of the KR spin off.

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Post by corlando52 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:55 pm

The book sounds AWESOME, and I'm glad to hear you are holding onto your values. Will there be any way interested parties could be notified when the book is available, or is the best bet just to continue to check back here? I would hate to miss the release.
Thanks again. We all appreciate your hard work on this.

Chris

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:11 am

Judd wrote:Thank you for the updates. It must be frustrating but I hope we get to see the book you've been working on.

Did you consider releasing the color parts of the book in a magzine format perhaps with a thick cover?

I would like to know if your book will discuss Knight Rider merchandising or any of the KR spin off.
- We're considering releasing a higher end collector's edition with a leather bound cover, possibly a slipcase of some sort and 250-340 color images. This would be limited to around 500 signed editions. Again this is just a consideration at this time but I can say at some point we will have a color edition of some sort released which will mostly likely contain new content as well as the best previously released shots in full color. This collector's edition would focus more on presenting photos and imagery then being an actual "guide" like the previous release. I think the term is more along the lines of a gallery or "picture book".

The 680 page book briefly shows mostly the media side of Knight Rider dealing with soundtracks, LPs, VHS, DVDs, and so on. Because of other books out there already covering merchandising material itself (toys, t-shirts, stickers, party goods), we feel that our pages are better spent on other materials not previously covered.

The focus of the book is mostly on covering the original Knight Rider mythology and the different aspects involved with creating, designing, and promoting it to the world.

Only shows containing the original cast are covered in our book. This means the original four seasons and Knight Rider 2000. We also have a brief listing of where Knight Rider stars have made a cameo or guest appearance, playing the characters from the show (parodies, etc.) There is no coverage of Team Knight Rider or KR 2010. Maybe in a second edition we may cover these at a later date.
corlando52 wrote:The book sounds AWESOME, and I'm glad to hear you are holding onto your values. Will there be any way interested parties could be notified when the book is available, or is the best bet just to continue to check back here? I would hate to miss the release.
Thanks again. We all appreciate your hard work on this.

Chris
- The best place to find out about the book's release is either from me or keep your eye on the forthcoming website knightridercompanion.com (still in the design phase due to my heavy workload as of late but will be up soon)

I will most likely make the release announcement myself (new trailer perhaps) or let you know if a press release is coming. If things go according to plan, we could potentially have the book out before the new series airs on NBC, which would be mid September. If we run into more complications, I would probably expect more of a winter release.

Whatever happens I will keep the communities posted.

Thanks for your patience and understanding, it is my intention to release an exciting book(s) that you will enjoy for generations to come. We are Knight Rider fans and it's time the world realizes that our fandom does matter, we can make a difference. This book is just one step in that direction.

=VK=

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:02 am

victor kros wrote:[There is no coverage of Team Knight Rider or KR 2010. Maybe in a second edition we may cover these at a later date.

=VK=
Thank god for that!

If you do mention it, please let that only be a piece on Kro the Ferrari, everything thing else about TKR sucked in a big way! :D , Im not even gonna mention the other one.

Keep up the good work and dont worry about the delays, it certainly wont dull my anticipation for it one little bit!

I sure as hell know your eye for quality and I know you and your co-author want to give us fans the best product possible and for that we are grateful!

Big Respect.

Matt.

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Post by corlando52 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:15 pm

Thanks! I'll keep my eyes open for the website. If there is a way to directly hear from you other than that, please let us know. I don't know if you want to start a list for a bulk e-mailing when it is available, but if so, again, let us know.

Chris

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:41 pm

In all honesty and fairness, nobody should get thier hopes up about this book. Just the like movie, we don't know if it will ever come out. As much as we would like to have both, the book really sounds like a nice addition, and instead of specualte, the best we can do at this point is wait and have patience like VK has already said. :|

:kitt: :karr:

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:11 am

scottab21 wrote:In all honesty and fairness, nobody should get thier hopes up about this book. Just the like movie, we don't know if it will ever come out. As much as we would like to have both, the book really sounds like a nice addition, and instead of specualte, the best we can do at this point is wait and have patience like VK has already said. :|

:kitt: :karr:
All I know is that I have a feeling that book will make it before the movie... :D
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9