The "Parking Lot Transform" REVISITED - From the KR VFX Team

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

vertigo778
Knight Rider 2008 Creative

The "Parking Lot Transform" REVISITED - From the KR VFX Team

Post by vertigo778 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:04 am

Hey there,

A colleauge of mine, z00story, has posted a couple of things from the vfx team here on the show, and I thought I'd post another version of what you guys already saw. As mentioned in z00's post, this was a *very* roughly composited and rendered shot just done as an effects test in our parking lot, but it at least gives you a sense of what you're looking at with these car transforms. Many many more things are coming down the pipe, and as I get permission to post more behind-the-scenes type stuff, I will. Check it out:

As before,too big for me to upload on this server, so for the time being it is running off of one of my sites. If some admin could upload it to this site and swap out the link, it would be much appreciated:

http://knightrideronline.com/knight_rid ... sform2.mp4

-vertigo778

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Re: The "Parking Lot Transform" REVISITED - From the KR VFX Team

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:20 am

First, let me welcome you to Knight Rider Online! :)

That video ROCKED! I had done some 3D in Blender at one point but I'm not any good at 3D. I like how you created the walkaround in the parking lot and showed how you put the car in after. Really cool!

I noticed in the walk-around there were discs on the E16 space. You set those on the actual parking spot so to line up the car graphics, right? How difficult was it to get them all in the right spot and how do you know how to line them up? That seemed like it might have been complicated. I admire how people can put CGI into real-world video. Seeing this gave me a glimpse of how it's done.

Neat stuff! I hope to see more! :) And I do like the transformation thing. Really cool!

Now can you make him morph into a Blue 1999 Ford Taurus SE? (Just kidding! LOL! ;) ) For those that don't know already, I have a Blue Taurus. :)

On the topic of KITT morphing into other vehicles, will they be having him morph into other Ford brand cars, like Taurus, Focus, Contour, etc? We already seen glimpses of KITT as an F150 pickup. Just curious or will we have to wait for the series to be pleasantly surprised! :) I think Ford owners would get a kick out of KITT morphing into a car like what they own. LOL! I know I would!

Mblackphoenix
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Mblackphoenix » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:14 am

FuzzieDice wrote: I think Ford owners would get a kick out of KITT morphing into a car like what they own. LOL! I know I would!
:P
That was my thought too.
To see Kitt transform in my car, too.
(I have a german 2004 Focus Turnier in black with Xenon Headlights)
That would be fun. :D
But thats all a wish and dream.
Greetings

Phoenix / Sabine

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:35 am

Or a 1971 Ford Pinto followed by it getting lightly rear-ended. :twisted: Though I doubt Ford would appreciate a joke at their expense.

Anyway, good stuff, it's cool seeing how that shot and effect came together, welcome to KRO! :D I'd write more but I think I'll spare everyone from yet another long rambling post by me while I'm half asleep.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:16 am

welcome welcome welcome to Knight Rider Online, vertigo778! I'm really happy that you've taken the time out of your hectic schedule to come and chat with us.

This looks amazing, can't wait to see more! The tracking objects - are they just painted rocks? Are the lines not good enough to track with, or is just more is always better?

If people are having trouble with the quicktime - I've posted a flash version here:
http://knightrideronline.com/news/2008/ ... _after.php

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:08 am

Thanx vertigo778, and welcome to the forum. I really like how you broke it down with the different shots, from the ground up to really get a "feel" for how this was done. Very interesting, and it's nice to know there is some great talent in the f/x department!

:kitt: :karr:

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:50 pm

Oh man is that ever COOL!! :D Welcome aboard!

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:07 pm

That was sooo cooool! Do you think you can describe what we are looking at in layman’s terms? What are the different steps involved in creating the final version. Do the different colors signify anything or are they just showing depth?
I’d imagine it was much easier to place KITT into this footage, the clip that z00story posted really showed your talent because the camera moment was so shaky.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

davejames
Rookie

Post by davejames » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:11 pm

Wow, now THAT'S what I was hoping for when I originally heard KITT was going to have a transformation effect in the new movie!!! Not that boring ass morphing crap.

z00story

Post by z00story » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:45 pm

To get 3D footage into a 2D shot, like what you are seeing, one employs the use of 3D tracking software like "PF Track" or "Boujou" or the cheaper, but very effective "SynthEyes." These are specialty programs specifically designed to look for points in your 2D footage and analyze how they move in XYZ space. You then import all that data into your 3D program to recreate a virtual camera that matches your 2D plate to your 3D design.

Another way to do this is to use a motion capture rig on your camera when you are shooting. That's essentially a computer with a gyroscope that measures and captures all that data while you are shooting. Those are very, very expensive rigs.

3D tracking is as much an art form as a science. The programs seldom get it right the first time, so you have to go in and fine tune lots of settings to get things to match perfectly. So as you see in this shot, we placed black and white oval trackers (coffee cup lids actually) on the space to give the program something to help it pick out points to track.

On our first shaky shot, we didn't do that, it was much more run and gun. Oddly however, it took about the same amount of effort to make both shots work? Why? Well one advantage to shakier footage is that things don't have to be as perfect. When you hold on something steadily, it's much easier for the human eye to call out errors. When you add movement, our minds eye processes the movement, essentially overloading on that, which allows many more imperfections to slip through the cracks.

As you guys may have noticed if you freeze frame through things in any type of shot you will find all sorts of imperfections, even in big hollywood movies. That's because you're turning something designed for motion into a still image, and the brain processes the two very, very differently.

Each style poses it's own unique challenges and has its own benefits - which is partly why we did it 2 ways.

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:34 pm

That’s really cool! You know I was thinking they looked like coffee cup lids. Lol! Were you also the team who worked on the pickup truck transformation? I know we were wondering if the mass of the car is remaining consistent or if perhaps some parts have to grow or shrink as they morph.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:03 am

I was wondering the same as Sue.
z00story wrote: As you guys may have noticed if you freeze frame through things in any type of shot you will find all sorts of imperfections, even in big hollywood movies. That's because you're turning something designed for motion into a still image, and the brain processes the two very, very differently.
You explained that very well. I know we have many many times seen some 'goofs' in the original series shows. All kinds of things that we never got to see when the shows first aired. Probably because of DVD being easier to freeze-frame than VCRs, or we just never thought to use pause and look for stuff like that. Also I think DVD is better quality and we notice more. And as kids, we probably are so caught up in the action we don't notice everything. Another thing I noticed is if I watch something the first time, I miss a lot and then noticed it the second, third or fourth viewing.

You guys are getting more technologically advanced these days so it's going to be harder to notice imperfections. I wouldn't even worry about it, really, as most of the time it won't be glaring imperfections. :) I really enjoyed seeing the morphing!

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:48 am

You'll just have to do with usual flubs that happen in the production of a TV show or movie. :P
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:52 am

I can certainly deal with it. :) I just enjoy the final production a lot. But it's fun to see how it was all done.

As an idea, maybe if they put out the first season on DVD (and I hope they put the movie on it too), they could put some of this stuff in as 'extras'? Like "making of KITT Morphing" or something? That would rock!

vertigo778

Post by vertigo778 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:04 am

Hey Fellas,

thanks z00story for posting some more info on that shot, the days been busy. what was I working on? turb . . . something . . . anyway, I'm sure it'll come to me :)

On the first posted shot, we intentionally shot it shaky as we felt it sells it far more when its that documentary style feel (as in something like "Cloverfield", where the handhelp really sold the feel of the CG).

The lines are sufficient to track, but those coffee lids sure help it out in terms of refining it.

The colored lines don't have any particular significance other than how the parts of the car are grouped. We can also use those groups to separate the different layers for compositing later on (if we wanted just the hood to be brighter or darker, etc, or increase just the shadows and not the rest of the image). Also, if you look closely you can see the lights and camera surrounding it, as well as the boxes we projected photos of the surrounding car onto (for reflections in KITT's carpaint).

This is especially helpful for the shots where the car transforms while screaming down the road, as we can selectively adjust reflections and such so it matches the road and surrounding cars.

anyway, it's late, and I need to go to bed, but I'm glad you guys liked it.

transforming into a 91' Ford Taurus? sounds cool to me :)

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:51 am

Great work you guys! And thank you so much for sharing your work with us, makes the show feel promising and knowing you guys are truly trying to make this show work with the respect of where it came from and the fans!

Good Luck!

Joe

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:38 pm

[quote="vertigo778"
transforming into a 91' Ford Taurus? sounds cool to me :)[/quote]

Make that a **99** Ford Taurus SE. :) My car is the bug-like bubble-looking style. Cute too, if I say so myself. :mrgreen:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:41 pm

Haha, I use to own a 1991 Ford Taurus.....

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:54 pm

as long as we don't see a return of 'Knight Alpha....' from TKR...

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:22 pm

I'd be more worried about seeing SID again. :lol:

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?