Hasselhoff in final talks to guest star?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

LadyV2000
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Hasselhoff in final talks to guest star?

Post by LadyV2000 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:37 pm

DJGM wrote:We clearly have a troll in our midst, one that is clearly stuck in the past. We have fed it
more than enough. It is perhaps time to cut off the supply, and ignore it completely.

Eventually ... it might go and crawl back under a pile of discarded Trans-Am tyres . . .

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :lol:

But seriously, some people just need to learn how to accept change. If not, then just be quiet about it. This is one of the reasons I took break from posting around here. I was just getting sick of the same complaint over and over again in multiple threats.
Flyer Guy: "You really a talking car?"
KITT: "No. I'm a tight end for the Chicago Bears!"

FX23
Operative

Post by FX23 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:32 am

we can have change in a new show but still keep hoff and the real kitt in the lead roles

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:36 am

FX23 wrote:we can have change in a new show but still keep hoff and the real kitt in the lead roles
sorry to disappoint but Michael Knight is well into his 50's and is not a real person, he is an ACTOR (don't really want to get in to his singing...) and that ACTOR is not as young and as physically fit as would be demanded of in a lead action hero role anymore

KITT, surprise surprise is not a real AI unit either (who would have figured!) it as another ACTOR who is (to my knowledge, at least) in his 80's and in semi retirement (ironically "semi retirement" is something the character of KITT wouldnt really mind)

Your suggestion that we can still keep the original DH and WD in their lead roles is, at best, idealistic but in reality, totally impractical now. Sorry but its a case of 'get over it' now for all of us...

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:25 am

'Round n 'round we go! This is getting crazy when every post by FX is the same in essence and so is every reply to it...or did some posts get deleted or am I just having deja vu? lol I don't get it.... *facepalm*

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:34 am

Stylez wrote:'Round n 'round we go! This is getting crazy when every post by FX is the same in essence and so is every reply to it...or did some posts get deleted or am I just having deja vu? lol I don't get it.... *facepalm*
Sorry mate, i know. I'm getting frustrated at reading it all meself. Even more frustrated that I dignified it with a reply....

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:39 am

FX23 wrote:we can have change in a new show but still keep hoff and the real kitt in the lead roles
I got bored last night and looked through to posts you have made...
And I noticed something. You say the same stupid thing in every post and you never realize even though everyone here tells you the same thing. Give up.

There is no Hoff.
There is no KI2T
Get over it.
We've all moved on, made peace and are excited about what could be a wonderfully amazing show.

If you dont want to except this, go watch the TOS DVDs and leave us who are trying to be positive for this new series so we might see the real Micheal Knight again.

The Hoff has already said he's too busy to do Knight Rider anymore and it's time for the torch to be passed on for the this next generation to embrace the ideas that we all love.
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:53 am

pheonix_knight wrote:
Stylez wrote:'Round n 'round we go! This is getting crazy when every post by FX is the same in essence and so is every reply to it...or did some posts get deleted or am I just having deja vu? lol I don't get it.... *facepalm*
Sorry mate, i know. I'm getting frustrated at reading it all meself. Even more frustrated that I dignified it with a reply....
No worries! It's like our replies go unheard anyway. I just don't get the people that post in the "NBC New Knight Rider 2008" section just to bash it. It's not the 'be all, end all' for KR with this continuation, we may not agree with all of it but it's not like the show we loved will disappear or be wiped from existence. It's something new, I've seen every ep of TOS multiple times, something new is refreshing, if I want to recreate TOS I have a dvd player and reruns. I don't want something that we already have. Let Jr. and KI3T have a go at it, it's more mythology! If we don't like it we can just smear it as an alternate timeline like TKR and KR2000 but let's give the new show a chance. I'm pretty positive that EVERYONE feels the same way about the Hoff and KITT and that would be the ultimate having them back in original character as leads, but unless someone has a time travelling Delorean forget it! Phew time to turn the record player off! lol

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:12 am

Here is what I agree as GST stated "Have them back side by side KI2T, KI3T, MK, and Mike Tracuer", which will hopefully happen at the end of the season if NBC can go around all the conflicting schedules.

Having Hoff back as a regular? Maybe appearance here and there but I don't disagree with as a regular however if they are trying to go in a new direction I don't see why this would hurt. Also for the people saying he is too old please for the sake of all KR fans keep it shut because we all love the original and are dying for anything to see KI2T and the original MK. Btw look at Rocky Balboa, Terminator 3, they were old and did the job, also William Daniels did the MIO GPS thing so I am sure he wouldn't mind this.

Joe

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:36 am

Being realistic, the studio would never go for Hasselhoff in an action lead, it's too risky, but let's play devil's advocate. If something were to happen that put him out what would they do? Replace him with another actor to take over the character? Cancel the show? Remember Justin has already injured his knee filming the pilot, where would that same injury put David? I doubt he would be as resilient and that could very well put the show in jeopardy. From a financial standpoint, all NBC wants to do essentially is make money, it's not a game. Is David in the budget to begin with? What would it cost NBC to have him back as the lead? If anyone cares to debate I'm all ears but let's stop the crying after all we're an average age of what, 30 or so? Come on people geez.

I'm all for Hoff and KITT in the new series to expand on the mythology, GST said himself that he would use the opportunities wisely meaning it won't be a frivolous cameo.

There are also differences between big budget movies and a weekly series, they can postpone shooting a film if someone is injured and resume without really a hitch.

knight56
Rookie

Post by knight56 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:42 pm

Well kitt from the 80s could make a comeback in the new series just write in that his voice chip has been updated...i mean Kitt from the 80s would have been updated in todays times because computers need to get updated theses days... would it been funny to see the 80s car today and still have pac man and all the 80s games in his computer bank lol....I would think that would not be kool..maybe have new games! what do you all think.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:40 pm

Having someone else voice the original KITT should be nothing more than a last resort if they can't get WD to do it for some reason or he passes away, at the age of 81 the odds of that happening is pretty high. Those I think are the only two "acceptable" options for getting someone else though the former is only barely acceptable and if they can get someone that can mimic the voice perfectly, or close to it. Granted WD sounds different now than he did 22 years ago but I'm sure that could be sorted out at least to some extent with some "studio magic".
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

FX23
Operative

Post by FX23 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:16 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:Having someone else voice the original KITT should be nothing more than a last resort if they can't get WD to do it for some reason or he passes away, at the age of 81 the odds of that happening is pretty high. Those I think are the only two "acceptable" options for getting someone else though the former is only barely acceptable and if they can get someone that can mimic the voice perfectly, or close to it. Granted WD sounds different now than he did 22 years ago but I'm sure that could be sorted out at least to some extent with some "studio magic".
thats what i think, they could record him saying a bunch of stuff and have a computer mimick his voice for the show

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:28 pm

FX23 wrote:thats what i think, they could record him saying a bunch of stuff and have a computer mimick his voice for the show
As much as your repeated requests for the impossible dream of having WD and DH back in their lead roles may have grated on some on this board (admittedly, myself included) I think you may have hit upon a decent idea there...

How difficult would it be to have a speech software with WD's voice??

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:11 pm

In the UK a phone company recorded Tom Baker speaking all of the sounds known in the English language so the customers could use his voice to make up their own messages.

I also think they could use audio clips of William Daniels from Knight Rider or even other shows he did. There's a Star Wars parody called Vader Session where some fans dubbed over Darth Vader's dialogue with audio clips from other James Earl Jones movies. They also muffled it a bit so he sounded more like Vader. It's pretty funny.

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:30 am

Yeash you guys! Poor William Daniels! Your predicting that he’s about to drop dead any second, you don’t like the sound of his voice, and now your having a computer take his job from him! Man, maybe those actors should go on strike.

He was in Blades of Glory only last year, and voice over work is a lot easier than acting. (Humm how bout that so was Will Arnett…. )

If KI2T does come back I don’t see why Daniels couldn’t do it.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

ilana
Rookie

Post by ilana » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:05 am

Stylez wrote: Remember Justin has already injured his knee filming the pilot

I wonder WHEN he managed to injury his knee in a movie without stunts. While walking? Or talking? It was just a story to get more attention to the new movie. They wanted to drew a paralel between Justin and David.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:09 am

This story is pretty easy to find, it was in the scene near the end when they fight off the bad guys, he planted his foot and turned his leg/knee the wrong way while moving.
Sue wrote:Yeash you guys! Poor William Daniels! Your predicting that he’s about to drop dead any second, you don’t like the sound of his voice, and now your having a computer take his job from him! Man, maybe those actors should go on strike.

He was in Blades of Glory only last year, and voice over work is a lot easier than acting. (Humm how bout that so was Will Arnett…. )

If KI2T does come back I don’t see why Daniels couldn’t do it.
At 81 you the chances of you dropping dead at any second are certainly higher than when you were 20 years younger, though for all we know he could live to be 110, obviously I nor anyone but WD, his family and his doctor have any idea as to what kind of shape he's in. If he doesn't want to do it for some reason then they're either going to have to "kill" the original KITT or find a way to replace WD, which would be hard to accept. It's only his job if he wants to do it and I'm sure everyone does. It's not about liking his voice, it's about the fact that voices change and if needed they could do a little tweaking in the studio to help him sound closer to how he did during the original series. Certainly voice work is less demanding than physical acting but there's still the issue of if he'd come back at all to do it. Obviously he's still the number one and pretty much only choice but if for some reason he doesn't want to do it then there's only two, maybe three options of what they could do. Get someone who can pull of a excellent impersonation, "kill" the original KITT off or have KITT just not talk. All three of those options suck, especially the last one, but they're going to have to have all bases covered.

I forgot William Daniels was in Blades of Glory and yeah, if he was up to voicing KITT in the Bench Warmers then there shouldn't be much reason for him not doing it in the new show. Well, unless he doesn't like the show or its direction, still he did Bench Warmers and Blades of Glory....
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:44 am

OMG I cant believe people are talking about WD dropping dead, how morbid.

Theres nothing wrong with his voice either, he still sounds just like the Kitt I remember, just a little deeper.

Mio`s gps has made him sound slower than usual but thats not how he really sounds, I truly believe its a pitch issue that could easily be corrected, thats apparant when listening to the pitched up version on youtube, made by a KRO member Taoworm

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=q8FGKjRf5GU

If you listen to the Benchwarmers clip with Kitt in he obviously sounds deeper but not slow, its still Kitt.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nWOt6lQIzpw

I`m sure that if he voices Kitt again in an episode from the new series it will be fine any I think any change in tone will fit rather well. Compare it to Peter Cullen voicing Optimus Prime in the cartoon and how he sounds now voiced in the 2007 CGI movie, its still Prime just with a different tone, Cullen adapted Prime to make up for this and also gave him more character.

WD has done massive amounts of voice work and is also experienced enough to do the same thing, he could adapt Kitt in the same way, after all how do we know how Kitt would feel after being mothballed for 25 years, maybe weary also disheartened for being older technology compared to KI3T, who knows? WD could adapt Ki2t to suit this perfectly.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:32 am

If I'm not mistaken there's a slight pitch issue even in the original series if you compare the PAL vs NTSC versions, PAL version was slightly faster so KITT's voice may sound a little bit higher than in NTSC version, also for instance the intro is a bit longer in NTSC.
I sure hope William Daniels is the voice of K2000 if they bring him back in the new series.

I also hope no changes have been made to K2000 since we saw him in the 1986 because if they changed him to modern technology I'm afraid it might mean KITT would now have stock TA dash with the crystal thing as a voicebox, no buttons, one touchscreen on the dash, maybe even the rounded steeringwheel with airbag from the 90's Firebirds :/
The original K2000 design is so cool and brilliant that the changes could only go to worse from that IMO.

I also hope Hasselhoff's Michael Knight would still wear the trademark black leather jacket if he makes an appearance with K2000 in the new series :)

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:11 am

KITTfan wrote: I also hope Hasselhoff's Michael Knight would still wear the trademark black leather jacket if he makes an appearance with K2000 in the new series :)
That's one thing i liked from the pilot, JB was wearing an updated version of what DH used to wear, albeit with a 'hoodie' underneath.... I thought it was a nice touch

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:49 am

KITTfan wrote:If I'm not mistaken there's a slight pitch issue even in the original series if you compare the PAL vs NTSC versions, PAL version was slightly faster so KITT's voice may sound a little bit higher than in NTSC version, also for instance the intro is a bit longer in NTSC.
The pitch issue there is because PAL has less frames per second thus speeding everything up a notch. I have a few KR dvds in PAL and some scenes where KITT is talking sound very chipmunkish. lol

The Mio GPS issue with WD sounding lower pitched has got to be an error with how Mio encoded the audio files over to what the GPS handles, it even sounds slow. I do not think it is an accurate representation of how William Daniels sounds today.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:13 pm

It was and apparently MIO has fixed it.

dag268
Rookie

Post by dag268 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:19 pm

Willaim Daniels voice is very distinctive. I dont think a pitch issue would make a difference. Think pilot episode. Very monotone. The voice became more human as the series continued. As time has gone on(25 YEARS) his voice may have changed more. I just hope someone dosent get a hair brained idea, find another similar voice and try to play it off. Let it be Daniels or let them write a reason for a completely different voice. :kitt:

FX23
Operative

Post by FX23 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:05 pm

they could record his voice into a computer and then have the computer simulate him and im sure david would mind reprising his role as lead character if asked, its all possible!

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:13 pm

This thread is about as on topic as the chat room. :D Oh well.
ilana wrote:
Stylez wrote: Remember Justin has already injured his knee filming the pilot

I wonder WHEN he managed to injury his knee in a movie without stunts. While walking? Or talking? It was just a story to get more attention to the new movie. They wanted to drew a paralel between Justin and David.
That knee injury was no publicity stunt he was in a lot of pain. He could barely walk but they were already advertising the movie so he had to finish it –what a trooper. You can tell they really had to work around it to get the rest of the movie in the can. When they reshot the fight scene he did it all kneeling, and instead of having him climb out a window they cut and had him already outside. And I swear that when Sarah says “oooh be careful” after the crash scene that she is breaking character to warn Justin. I’m sure they are going to be extra careful about what stunts they let him do now.
Here’s the video of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OptexCC6Sc
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.