Original KITT in new Knight Rider

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

kitt1987
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Original KITT in new Knight Rider

Post by kitt1987 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:01 pm

Just wanted to express a small thought I had about the possibility of the original KITT maybe making an appearance in the new program...especially if the Hoff is guest-starring. I'm wondering though what are the odds that KITT won't be the car that we remember? Think about this...sure we'd all like to see the old car in action one last time but there are a LOT of adventures that Michael and KITT were involved with after the series ended in '86. Who's to say that KITT didn't go through more upgrades and facelifts? Especially on the dash? It's not like he didn't go through those upgrades through the original series after all. In any case the more I thought about it, the more it truly doesn't make sense to have KITT appear as we'd last seen him in 1986. If for any reason I can see his technology placed in a newer car of some type and if not maybe a completely new dash? But really I just cannot see the Hoff driving the car in exactly the same format 22 years later. Maybe some flashback or something showing the classic car in action before an upgrade or so.
Just posting a thought and am interested in knowing what everyone else thinks of this.
Thanks for your time!

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: Original KITT in new Knight Rider

Post by Matthew » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:29 pm

Hmmm,

That's a really interesting point actually. Whilst I could see an updated dashboard being developed, I'm not sure that many exterior changes would go over very well with the majority of us.

For instance, had the show been renewed for a fifth series, I believe that KITT would have still remained inside the 1982 model of Trans Am with turbocast rims and bowling ball hubcaps, even in spite of the fact that the top level of car was now the GTA with wire rims.

Whilst I wouldn't be adverse to the idea of a later model third generation Trans Am, like the GTA, being cast as KITT, I think it would be fair to say that they really wouldn't be able to get away with doing much more than that.

Matt

Image Image Image Image
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:29 am

I can understand what you both are saying. On one hand KITT should have been upgraded you'd think but on the other hand, it shouldn't have been too much.

However, we DID see the KI2K in the new pilot that looked *exactly* as the '82 - '84 T/A so it would probably be understandable if (IF) they did bring the old back for a cameo, it probably would look much the same as it did in the KR2008 Pilot and thus much like we last remembered him.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:42 am

I think I mentioned something like this before about how after all this time KI2K could be a lot different than in 1986. But I don't know if it would actually be a good idea for them to change the car, aside from maybe just using a later Trans-AM like Matt suggested, maybe even a 4th Generation TA. Only thing is, would they want a car that visually outclasses their "star" in KI3K?? :lol:
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Matthew
Site Administrator
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Matthew » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:57 am

I think the key to any upgrade that’s made is to ensure that KITT remains visually identifiable in comparison to what we saw during the original series.

I know that the fourth generation Trans Am has been a popular choice for KITT in fan fiction and whatnot, but I really don’t think that it shares enough similarities with the third generation model for it to be immediately identifiable, especially for people who are only loosely aware of what car was used from 1982 to 1986.

I honestly believe that the only real option is for them to stay within the established parameters if they decide that an upgrade is necessary.

Matt
Welcome aboard the Knight 2000.

Thank you. What's all this, it looks like Darth Vader's bathroom?

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:25 am

Matthew wrote:I think the key to any upgrade that’s made is to ensure that KITT remains visually identifiable in comparison to what we saw during the original series.

I know that the fourth generation Trans Am has been a popular choice for KITT in fan fiction and whatnot, but I really don’t think that it shares enough similarities with the third generation model for it to be immediately identifiable, especially for people who are only loosely aware of what car was used from 1982 to 1986.

I honestly believe that the only real option is for them to stay within the established parameters if they decide that an upgrade is necessary.

Matt
I have to agree with you Matt. Having KI2K come back as anything other than the 82-84 body everybody knows wouldn't even warrant a return, and definitley wouldn't be identifiable as the original KITT everybody remembers. Although I'm still trying to think of how to work that into the storyline of the show... :?:

:kitt: :karr:

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:28 am

I think if you see K2000 make an appearance, it will be in a flashback story, told by Charles Graiman, on the missions they (Michael and KITT) went on, maybe even the story of their last mission. :?: :idea: :idea: :idea: :?: :?: :?: :idea: :idea: :idea: :kitt2: :dash: :dash4: :kitt2: :dash:

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:29 am

The way i see it is that KITT should pretty much be what we remember, i like to think that KITT is quite accustomed to his appearence and would be happy for it to stay as it is. Also if KITT is indead still with Michael i would have thought he may not feel quite the same about a new look KITT.
It's a bit like plastic surgery for someone who doesn't need it. Any improvements of KITT should be with his systems not his appearance, i for one love the look of KITT as is and i imagine if we were to be rewarded with a KITT's return to find out we in fact given a new KITT we would all be pretty unhappy.

I don't know what KITT will have been upto in recent times, i doubt he would be active like the old days in a similar status to KI3T because then surely he would have been what KI3T is now. I reckon KITT will have some important role to play but it is revolved around his fully developed AI and not his shell so staying as he was could still be quite plausible
Michael: "Devon, someone tried to kill me last night!"
Devon: "I have an alibi"

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:36 am

a possible way for KITT to return in the form we all know and love
Niggle Snoosh wrote:KARR's cpu could have been saved, he would therefor resurface in some shape or form, with improvements but not to the extent of KI3T, i quite like the idea of him being considered obsolete and knowing it. However why should that make him less dangerous, he AI is cold, ruthless and logical.

He Knows how to manipulate a situations , he could lead KI3T to question his loyalties to Mike, to the foundation and to himself. Perhaps KARR could procure information that the government have plans for KI3T is be adapted to their needs, robbing of his sentience.
Niggle Snoosh wrote:
PHOENIXZERO wrote:Excellent post Niggle Snoosh and yeah, KARR should remain dangerous even in a state of being obsolete. I was going to disagree about being able to make the new KITT question his loyalties and everything but after thinking about it a bit more I think it could work since the new KITT shouldn't know about KARR and it seems like something FLAG and Knight Industries would have kind of swept under the rug. I could see KARR telling his story (while leaving out certain details) in how he was cast aside, thrown away as he was nearly murdered before he escaped and how they went after him. All while KARR makes it sound like he's the victim. Which isn't too far off...
KARR wouldn't necessarily have to get KI3T to trust him. Just place the seeds of doubt. Using his current state of obseletion to add weight to his story along with KI3T's possibly lack of knowledge of KITT and KARR.

The files about them could be classified to him specifically, although he should have the abilty to hack in seconds we find that he has an in built directive that forbids him for doing so with files that have a particular digital signature. Thus making it easy to assume he may indeed be an expendable puppet of the government.
Further fuel to the fire comes from the fact that no-one will answer his questions about KITT or his wherabouts. Rather suspicious when KITT is surely a huge success story and deserves to be honoured or be of importance somewhere

This could be a multi episode story arc that ends with KITT coming out of hiding for a possible showdown with his successor that ultimately assures KI3T of his worth and importance to those around him. It is possible that KITT (in his current state) may also be obselete in comparison to KI3T but is still willing to sacrifice himself and it is that act convinces him both of them are more than just machines and have a true purpose.

perhaps not at this juncture but it will be left open to find out what happened to KITT since FLAG disbanded, revelations of which are sure to be epic :)
Michael: "Devon, someone tried to kill me last night!"
Devon: "I have an alibi"

scottab21
FLAG Recruit

Post by scottab21 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:49 am

Sounds kool Snoosh, I could see how that could work and be very entertaining. The one thing I would change, and it's really not a change at all really, is I would involve more of the human element to it. You could bring back the original Michael Knight, and Garthe (complete with greying hair on the sides to show the age), and have it be revealed that Garthe also had a son. And he could be the reason behind KARR's return with the original cpu but an upgraded body. It could get really interesting, it's all in my head, but maybe for another time...

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:35 am

KITT complained at the beginning of knight of the juggernaught that he felt he wasnt looking up to date, its unlikely he would tolerate 22 years without having been upgraded and/or transferred to a newer body...

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:37 am

pheonix_knight wrote:KITT complained at the beginning of knight of the juggernaught that he felt he wasnt looking up to date, its unlikely he would tolerate 22 years without having been upgraded and/or transferred to a newer body...
Good Point!

I wonder what those upgrades might include....

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:30 am

having said that, dya think they might make use of the TA bodies that were in Graimans garage at the beginning of the pilot in february?

Kram061-1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kram061-1 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:15 pm

just hopefully he won't come back as that stupid Knight 4000.........

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:09 pm

I'm sure the tomato at this point isn't in good enough shape to be KITT again. It was kind of looking crappy in that CHiPs 2000 movie from nine or ten years back, I can imagine just how bad it looks now unless someone has been taking good care of it.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:23 pm

Well my guess is seeing that they`re ignoring Knight Rider 2000 altogether in the series (quite right too!) , I dont think we`ll be seeing the the Tomato ever again. Yey!

knighthazzard
Recruit

Post by knighthazzard » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:17 pm

I am loving this topic right now and the generation of ideas that have been introduced to the thread. One thing that I remember from the episodes "Lost Knight"and "Junk Yard Dog" was that the original spec of KI2TS CPU used to seperate Memory from Personality traits- 'In Junk Yard Dog' and 'Lost Knight' KI2T still retained all his knowledge. However one interesting play used in both episodes was that he lost his personality traits and characteristics momentarily until Michael intervened and re implanted Backup memory modules to make him the KI2T we all know and love. Utilising similar plot arcs could be interesting for future episodes in the new series.

One idea that I had in mind myself for introducing KARR and KI2T alike to the new series- What would you say if one or both parties no longer assumed the role or function of AI for a car but were utilised for another purpose? One idea I had in mind for KARR would be that after his CPU had been recovered from the Dam by FLAG agents was that the operatives became aware of KARRS function for self preservation. On this basis they utilised car as a HAL for Government systems for System Protection for Government servers and files to preserve its own systems and prevent government attack (An Internet Security Guardian- posing no threat as it could provide no other purpose than protecting itself and the systems it was governed to protect... Fast forward 23 years... the blue prints of K3000 are sold by the criminals shown in the pilot to a rogue organisation to the highest bidder one of whom works as a mole for the government. The Blue prints are handed over in a jail to the mole by the Lead Criminal seen in the pilot episode- he has had them all along! Cue back to pilot flashback "This isnt over!" scene. By chance; the mole obtains files uncovering KARRS origins, puts two and two tegether and merries the Blue Prints and data together into the Mustang GT500 car model (Bodywork already sitting nicely prepped in Bay 3 workshop of Knight Research Museum) without an AI (interject to insertion of KARRS CPU recently ripped off by the mole that had been workinf for the Government and working closely with the 'KARR server'

In the producers mind this evil KARR would have to give off the impression to the audience that he offers equal threat to that of KI2T. What better way to do this than use a Mustang (albeit with less features than KI3T ) but some others to compensate. The car is activated and the Mole is left for dead by its KARR speeding off into the desert from (Bay 3- Nod to trust does not rust there).... Cue the intro....

KI3T could be momentarily disabled or its CPU badly damaged by a counter attack by KARR during a chase scene. FLAG realise they need help while KI3TS CPU is rebuilt-"Like the integration of the KARR trying to deceive KI3T into making him believe that Knight Research is the enemy"- KARRS Deception could be a ruse to allow KARR enough time to destroy KI3TS CPU Mike must seek KI2TS original components- Cut to scene- Residence of Professor Bonnie Barstow... Introduction of an old friend from the past- Its KI2T who has been stored in mothballs since the abadonment of the FOUNDATION in the 1990s in Bonnie s attic. Michael Knight (aka Traceur makes a dash against time to instate KI2TS CPU in the Mustang as a temporary solution to KI3T... it is a race against time to stop KARR in his menacing pursuit of revenge and vengeance against the Foundation and Everything it represents. Can Michael Knight stop KARR in its tracks? Will KI3T ever be the same again?...
Last edited by knighthazzard on Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dag268
Rookie

Post by dag268 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:20 pm

The last time I saw the 4000 it was on an episode of scare tactics. It had been painted in a CHP black and white paint scheme and had a light bar straped to the top. If you go to http://www.jayohrberg.com they have more current pictures.

trissybabes
FLAG Recruit

Post by trissybabes » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:36 pm

dag268 wrote:The last time I saw the 4000 it was on an episode of scare tactics. It had been painted in a CHP black and white paint scheme and had a light bar straped to the top. If you go to http://www.jayohrberg.com they have more current pictures.
That's a great website!

Check out the concept dash board for the Knight 4000 (One was even based on a Volvo design??!!) and even the car for Knight Rider 2010 looks way more interesting in the drawing phase than it ever was in reailty...

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:31 pm

:lol: Well, on the bright side, it certainly did look better in black, even with the absurdly long looking front end.

Just looking at the list of cars here, he's certainly a lot better than Harald Belker. >_>

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:53 pm

pheonix_knight wrote:KITT complained at the beginning of knight of the juggernaught that he felt he wasnt looking up to date, its unlikely he would tolerate 22 years without having been upgraded and/or transferred to a newer body...
I think that NBC would want KITT to stay as a TransAm,but only with a couple of minor changes,or they might use a 5th. Gen TransAm.But what would FORD say about this?
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

dag268
Rookie

Post by dag268 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:18 pm

who cares what ford has to say about it. Its not like they even make the car anymore hense no competition. :dash4:

zero
Rookie

Post by zero » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:11 pm

The new series dash designers should take note of the concept designs for the Knight Rider 2000 movie on the above website and what they did for that car. 100 times better than what they've done.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:46 pm

Well, something or anything (the snow globe doesn't count) is better than zero... Err, I'm referring to what they've done to the dash, not you. :lol:

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:08 pm

dag268 wrote:who cares what ford has to say about it. Its not like they even make the car anymore hense no competition. :dash4:
I had that in mind,but to FORD,anything non-FORD means competition.Even if it means putting a TransAm on the show.They probably see it differently from all of us.TransAm=GM,and FORD will generalize by saying non-Ford=Competition.It's probably leading Ford to be thinking that even putting a car that's out of production on the show will still at least interest people into buying a GM car.And Ford wants to be secure from that.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9