Newbie questions: On Knight Rider canon...

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

SacValleyDweller
Recruit

Newbie questions: On Knight Rider canon...

Post by SacValleyDweller » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:24 am

After making a formal introduction at the new members thread, my first thread.

I jumped into Knight Rider this year with the February movie and seeing that a series is set to air this fall.

I see over at Wikipedia on this page that there are numerous incarnations of Knight Rider. This raised some related questions:

1) Which incarnations are considered far and wide by Die hard fans to be canon to the franchise?
2) Is there anything I need to be aware of from the previous incarnations in order to fully comprehend the upcoming series?
--SVD
(-
=)

Radicalas
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Newbie questions: On Knight Rider canon...

Post by Radicalas » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:26 am

2) The new Knight Rider series follows the 1982-1986 original Knight Rider series, it ignores all others (Knight Rider 2000, Team Knight Rider, Knight Rider 2010).

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:59 am

Welcome to KRO. :D

Which is a good thing because all three smell worse than week old roadkill on the side of the road in the middle of summer. But yeah, it just follows the original series, just as it should IMO. Knight Rider 2010 is only Knight Rider as a marketing ploy that shares absolutely nothing with the other incarnations. Obviously to me Knight Rider is only the original series, at best KR2000 and TKR are alternate uhhh "realities" from the original, potential futures if you will, at worst they're just **** that should have never been made in the first place. Well, at least TKR had KRO... But other than that it doesn't deserve to be canon.

I'm sure that even though the new series is going to be a continuation of the original it won't be so anchored in the mythology that you'll need to fully know the original, seeing every episode or anything like that because that would just poor, careless writing that would potentially alienate most new viewers and be another thing that would put it on the fast track to cancellation. I'd say it'll have as much to do with the original Knight Rider as original Star Trek did with The Next Generation. Well, maybe more than that since it's not going to have nearly as big of a time difference between the two shows storyline wise. ST/TNG was like 80 years while KR/KR08 is going to be about 22 years as they're going by real time somewhat. It also won't be like every episode is so into it that without at least seeing the original to know everything.

I'm sure there will be little things that throw back to the original on occasion with possibly a big mythology episode once or twice a season (assuming it goes a full season or beyond) but it won't be a well that's too relied upon too often, just as it shouldn't be because the show needs to stand on its own while acknowledging the past but not revisiting it every other episode. Hopefully the core fan base will get that and not start complaining like loons as like what happened with the choice of car or the TV movie not explaining everything that happened with every character from the original series, though at least in that case it would have been nice to at least have had a little of that in the TV movie but not a full blown "where are they now?" For two hours with a ton of commercials.

I wrote waaaay too much as I tend to do on occasion.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:22 am

Welcome to KRO! I concur with Radicalas and Phoenixzero, don’t bother touching KR2000, TKR or KR2010 with a ten foot poll.
Tell me SacValleyDweller do we need to make a sticky explaining all of our KR Acronyms? Or do you think a first timer can figure them all out. You know things like VM, MBS, NT, KRO... :mrgreen:
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

SacValleyDweller
Recruit

Post by SacValleyDweller » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:20 pm

Sue wrote:Tell me SacValleyDweller do we need to make a sticky explaining all of our KR Acronyms? Or do you think a first timer can figure them all out. You know things like VM, MBS, NT, KRO... :mrgreen:
I could probably figure some of them out, but something like that, whether it be a thread, a post, or a PM, would be most helpful and appreciated :)

EDIT: BTW, am I the first new face here in a while, and the first new-to the franchise-guy to set foot here?
--SVD
(-
=)

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:23 pm

SacValleyDweller wrote:
Sue wrote:Tell me SacValleyDweller do we need to make a sticky explaining all of our KR Acronyms? Or do you think a first timer can figure them all out. You know things like VM, MBS, NT, KRO... :mrgreen:
I could probably figure some of them out, but something like that, whether it be a thread, a post, or a PM, would be most helpful and appreciated :)

EDIT: BTW, am I the first new face here in a while, and the first new-to the franchise-guy to set foot here?
Hi mate, Heres a link to a very informative Knight Rider page, plenty of info on the original series (which it explains quite a bit) & Team Knight Rider & also the Knight Rider 2000 tv movie. Hope this can be helpful to you.

weeezl

http://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/poi ... /id114.htm

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:04 pm

Okay I started a dictionary thread.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11706&p=138175#p138175
Hopefully all my info is correct or I will soon be corrected. :D
And no you’re not the first. I know JustinBruening.net is new to the original series. And I’m sure many more will come soon. :D
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

SacValleyDweller
Recruit

Post by SacValleyDweller » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:01 pm

Thanks, Sue!

And you can cal me SVD for short if you like, or whatever else comes to mind.
--SVD
(-
=)

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:14 am

Welcome to the board SVD! :D Oh,and don't be afraid to ask us any KR questions!
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9