adaptive camoflauge

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

cajunknight0153
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

adaptive camoflauge

Post by cajunknight0153 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:09 pm

I thought of a good idea for a new KITT feature, Adaptive Camoflauge, like James Bond's Aston Martin Vanquish in Die Another Day

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Re: adaptive camoflauge

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:55 pm

If they're sticking with the nanotech then the car should be able to do that and more. A Predator like camo/near invisibility is something that's wouldn't be much of a stretch, as I've mentioned it several times before that it's something that's been legitimately researched now for several years for the military.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:53 am

They can't use that idea, it's already reserved for something else.

=VK=
:dash:

FX23
Operative

Post by FX23 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:57 am

What u on about

Transparent
Rookie

Post by Transparent » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:26 am

Surely you arent suggesting that the concept of a car camouflaging itself could be considered an individuals intellectual property? Especially since its been done to death....

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:10 am

If Victor's implying that "adaptive camouflage" is one of K.I.T.T.'s features in Glen Larson's movie script, then there could be a conflict of interest. It wouldn't just be any car, or James Bond's car, or the Batmobile using the feature, it would be K.I.T.T. in Universal's Knight Rider TV show, and K.I.T.T. in the Weinstein's Knight Rider movie.
- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchives.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:25 pm

That could be why they adapted the "morphing" nanobots. That's their(NBC's) version of camoflauge abillity for KITT

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:54 pm

I thought the invisible James Bond car took the idea too far. I think it's OK for KITT to turn shades of brown and green if he's in the woods, or have some kind of grid pattern if he's sneaking into some kind of factory. But doing the Predator thing? I don't buy into it.

The earliest adaptive camoflauge I can think of was in Glen Larson's "Chameleons", a dreadful 80s show. The car could change colors with a fiber optic paint job.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:07 pm

The stealth look as seen in the Predator films is too far out there even for Knight Rider, I think. In those movies, the stealth camouflage was supposed to be able to work by distorting and bending beams of light, which is a realm of technology that I think is just a bit too far ahead/sci-fi.

I would agree that simply changing colors and slight shapes is much more practical; after all, K.I.T.T. is already able to make his stripes disappear, so forming some military-esque comouflage designs is practical within the show's ground rules.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:31 pm

Knight Rider Archive wrote:If Victor's implying that "adaptive camouflage" is one of K.I.T.T.'s features in Glen Larson's movie script, then there could be a conflict of interest. It wouldn't just be any car, or James Bond's car, or the Batmobile using the feature, it would be K.I.T.T. in Universal's Knight Rider TV show, and K.I.T.T. in the Weinstein's Knight Rider movie.
That sounds like a pretty big stretch to me. For starters, the original KITT didn't have the feature. And even if it did, the new show is already using lots of elements from the original show: the character of Michael Knight, the name KITT, the Foundation, even the theme music. The Knight 3000 has already demonstrated that it can change shape and color. I don't think the Weinstein Company can say "well we were going to do this new thing, which you've sort of already done, so you can't do it again."

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:35 pm

The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:46 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:How is it out there when it's something that is really being worked on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0-kUEiLWPU
Well that's another issue. Anybody could have an "invisible car", but there COULD be conflicts with how you explain the invisibility. One project could have a force field that bends light waves, another could do nanobots, and that would be fine.

But if you had two cars that became invisible using phosphorescent microbes stimulated by varying the outside temperature of the vehicle's shell to create specific patterns, then that might be a problem. But again, I don't think it will be any kind of issue with Knight Rider.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:29 pm

Without confirming or denying anything I'm going to give you a scenerio to consider here.

Larson creates the motion picture script. NBC creates their tv movie script. Said script came after Larson's motion picture script. Both scripts simular utilize concepts from shows like Futurecars, various Science channel shows, discovery channel shows, and extensive research.

Since NBCU showed the use of nano-technology first, they have the right to say "we did it first" which means anyone else who tries to use it would then be considered "copying" them. Problem is, they didn't come up with it first and it's been registered as such. However since their script went immediately in production there was little that could be done to stop it from reaching the air due to certain legalities and the time it takes to enforce them.

In order to settle said legalities, stipulations were created to ensure that this would not happen again. So if for example NBCU wanted their KITT to turn into a jet and fly, and Larson wanted his car to turn into a jet and fly in the motion picture...because of said legalities if said ability appears in his script then he has the right to claim it first.

This is to avoid conflicts of interest in respects to what KITT can and cannot do in both projects in order for said properties to co-exist.

KITT will not turn into a jet, that's just an example. Just figure it this way, anything that the feature film KITT will do will not be what the Mustang will do and if you don't see the Mustang doing what you think it should be doing, you will understand why.

As far as cloaking technology goes, you bought into it in Die Another Day, you bought into it in Star Trek, you bought into it in Batman the Animated Series, Superman the Animated Series, Justice League, I-Spy, X-Men, Star Wars, it is not outside the realm of possiblity that it is possible to pull off with advanced technology. In Sci-Fi that's the point, to make you believe something you think is impossible at this point and time and make it feasable.

In Sci-Fi nothing is unreachable if you can put it in it's proper context of believability while bending the rules such as inventing a new energy source, technology, discovering some new element, formula, etc. That is what makes it Sci-Fi to begin with and not just a show based on reality as we know it like say CSI or Law and Order.

So do try to keep an open mind. We've experimented with nano-technology but what the Mustang has done in the 08 series is not yet within our reach yet you don't complain about it because in the context of the show...you think it's possible for the car to change shapes and colors on the fly. I won't get into the disappearing scanner and "magical appearing out of thin air" spoiler thing though.

Don't knock it till you see it.

=VK=

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:53 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:
Knight Rider Archive wrote:If Victor's implying that "adaptive camouflage" is one of K.I.T.T.'s features in Glen Larson's movie script, then there could be a conflict of interest. It wouldn't just be any car, or James Bond's car, or the Batmobile using the feature, it would be K.I.T.T. in Universal's Knight Rider TV show, and K.I.T.T. in the Weinstein's Knight Rider movie.
That sounds like a pretty big stretch to me. For starters, the original KITT didn't have the feature. And even if it did, the new show is already using lots of elements from the original show: the character of Michael Knight, the name KITT, the Foundation, even the theme music. The Knight 3000 has already demonstrated that it can change shape and color. I don't think the Weinstein Company can say "well we were going to do this new thing, which you've sort of already done, so you can't do it again."
- Additionally it's not a question of, you did this...now you can't do it again. I think you misunderstand the point that was being made. NBCU did feature and demonstrate nano-tech first, everything they did in the backdoor pilot they can do as many times as the wish because they've already done it. It's the things they didn't do, they may not be allowed to do in the future because they could trespass on other ideas already reserved for the motion picture. In order to prevent such situations, measures were put into place.

=VK=

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:56 pm

For me, the issue isn't so much with the technology but with the special effects. When Bond is first "shown" the invisible car, they filmed an empty platform. But that's not what it would really look like. Even a perfectly camouflaged car with infinite resolution on the paint/fiber optics/nanobots would still have some sort of distortion to it. It would cast shadows. The car might be virtually impossible to detect, but if you were standing in the room you would see SOMETHING.

When it comes to science fiction, my general philosophy is I'll suspend any disbelief you want to set up: 200 foot lizard attacking New York? Fine. 160-pound man turns into 2-ton green monster? No problem. But then given those concessions, the rest of the story should be "real". The cloaked ships in Star Trek work for me because they explain it as bending light around the ship. Fine. The way the James Bond car was explained didn't fit with what we saw on screen.

I was against the idea of the self-healing skin on the Mustang from the very beginning. But once I saw it, I thought "OK, that makes sense to me in the universe they created. It works." They didn't quite get the morphing right however, and hopefully that effect will be updated.

And I realize there are budget and time constraints, so IF IF IF there was to be an invisibility mode, I woudln't mind them cheating he effects from time to time. Just so long as at some point they make an effort to demonstrate how it works.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:05 pm

It's not quite adaptive, but here's probably the greatest example of vehicle camouflage EVER. And if you don't know whose car this is, well then I don't think I want to know you! :D
Attachments
Popoff.jpg
Popoff.jpg (29 KiB) Viewed 14573 times

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:52 pm

Simply put: Giving the Knight 3000 the technology to make itself invisible seems unnecessary if it already can morph and disguise itself. To me, it's not a question of if sci-fi technology can be made to be believable in the story it's presented in, but what is the right balance of finding what limitations the car will have (both in terms of the amount of features and the degree of the sci-fi technology) before the audience goes, "Oh, yeah, right, gimme a break!" As for K.I.T.T. in the motion picture, I have more of an open mind, but I do have my reservations about the idea of the car becoming invisible if that were to be the case.

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:11 pm

I wasn't a fan of the invisibility mode in Die Another Day, and I don't like the idea of K.I.T.T. having it either. In the case of a motion picture, especially a Knight Rider motion picture, people would be paying money to see the car -- not to see the car disappear.

As much as I look forward to the series, I've never been a fan of the morphing. I agree with Mike in that they made it work in the realms of the story-world they were in... but, I feel you get to the stage where you're pushing the envelope just a bit too far. The original series made that mistake with SPM.
- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchives.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:45 pm

victor kros wrote:
- Additionally it's not a question of, you did this...now you can't do it again. I think you misunderstand the point that was being made. NBCU did feature and demonstrate nano-tech first, everything they did in the backdoor pilot they can do as many times as the wish because they've already done it. It's the things they didn't do, they may not be allowed to do in the future because they could trespass on other ideas already reserved for the motion picture. In order to prevent such situations, measures were put into place.
=VK=
Oooh! This was all very interesting about your KITT possibly having adaptive camouflage VK.

“The Mustang” you say. I guess that means yours is not a Mustang. I wish we could call him something short that would differentiate him from KI3T and KI2T. But I’m thinking yours might be KI2T again. Unless you go with KI10T.
...or SHADO :D

-Oh and Mike, that was the Muppet Movie right? Well it was the year I was born, keep that in mind, but I do remember it so phew, I guess you don’t have to disown me.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:07 pm

Well with all being said, I still hope they keep MBS for the new movie. If KITT can tint his own windows, he might also be able to camouflage himself :idea:

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:28 pm

Generally speaking...

KITT has to have the ability to blend in with the world around him. Because of this necessity to stay disguised at times there are only so many ways you can do that. Even if a car is meant to be one of a kind and attract attention one moment, that changes when you're sneaking around spying on the bad guys or evading potential threats.

NBCU is using the morphing technology and color shifting as it's way to achieve this necessity. Therefore other avenues need to be taken from projecting holograms to turning invisable to any other form of diversion or subterfuge.

=VK=

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:50 am

So, if there's an agreement in place where neither side is to step on the toes of the other when it comes to their KITT's functions/abilities would that also cover things from the original show or just new stuff? I'd assume the latter since it seems like at the very least "the classics" would be fair game for both sides, except for when it comes to possibly explaining how it's done, again unless there was an explanation in the original series.

I proudly admit that I have only seen maybe five minutes of Die Another Day, maybe not even that much.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:44 pm

victor kros wrote:KITT has to have the ability to blend in with the world around him. Because of this necessity to stay disguised at times there are only so many ways you can do that. Even if a car is meant to be one of a kind and attract attention one moment, that changes when you're sneaking around spying on the bad guys or evading potential threats.
That's all fine and dandy, but didn't you say the motion picture K.I.T.T. is going to look more along the lines of an exotic car? Or at the very least, certainly a car that will be standing out this time around...

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:28 pm

Lost Knight wrote:
victor kros wrote:KITT has to have the ability to blend in with the world around him. Because of this necessity to stay disguised at times there are only so many ways you can do that. Even if a car is meant to be one of a kind and attract attention one moment, that changes when you're sneaking around spying on the bad guys or evading potential threats.
That's all fine and dandy, but didn't you say the motion picture K.I.T.T. is going to look more along the lines of an exotic car? Or at the very least, certainly a car that will be standing out this time around...
- It doesn't matter if the car is exotic or typical/stock. You still have to cruise around and spy on the villians you're keeping survaillence on and that requires a disguise or diversion of some sort whether it's stealth technology, holographic projections, shape-shifting, or just looking like the average car. The car is meant to stand out but only in certain situations.

Look at the 08 backdoor pilot. The Mustang was identifiable to the villians, even though it was exotic enough to stand out (especially with the scanner in front) so KITT changed colors to evade detection in the situations where it was necessary to do so. Once that time passed he went right back to being the unique sleek black Mustang again.

The type of car isn't a factor in that situation, unless your disguise is being a stock car that completely blends in with the other cars around it.

=VK=

DeeKnight
Operative

Post by DeeKnight » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:31 pm

NBC should be able to do what they want in the series,how can you reserve something for a film thats not near to being out?