News

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Radicalas
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

News

Post by Radicalas » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:47 am

It looks like nothing is happening with Knight Rider movie by Glen A. Larson, there's no news for a long time. I don't understand, script is already written, the writers strike is already ended, but nothing's happening. :( :?:

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Re: News

Post by Victor Kros » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:51 pm

The script was written, it had to be revised and Glen is doing so in Hawaii. I'm not going to give updates without having something concrete to say that I can deliver on. It's not my intention to give people false hope.

When Glen returns from Hawaii, he intends to get the production moving again as he has been working on the revisions and apparently TWC is pleased with what he's done there. When I have more substantial news, I will report it accordingly.

=VK=
:dash:

epc1122
Rookie

Post by epc1122 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:53 pm

hey victor, long time reader, but i don't post much. i was just curious, if the new knight rider television show is more to the vision that glen larson had envisioned, would he be so against it? from the interview with gary thomas, he wants to make the car more futuristic looking and appears to want to take the show to more of what the original had intended the show to be. i'm a long time knight rider fan and would just like to say that i appreciate you taking the time to answer the questions of the fans. personally, i would love for both the television show and the movie to be sucessfull. i cant get enough of cool looking cars that talk. i think one of the best episodes of the series was when kitt lost his body to some nerd. not that the nerd took over the car so easily, but there were some really good moments between kitt and michael. it showed how close they were, more like brothers. well, thanks again.

Evan

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:51 pm

epc1122 wrote: i think one of the best episodes of the series was when kitt lost his body to some nerd. not that the nerd took over the car so easily, but there were some really good moments between kitt and michael. it showed how close they were, more like brothers. well, thanks again.

Evan
Nice to meet you Evan.

- I believe that episode was called Soul Survivor. I like it too just because it shows that Kitt is not the car, but the CPU inside it just as Glen had intended back in the pilot. If you ask him he will always say the "car" was the Knight 2000 and K.I.T.T. was the name of the CPU inside it.

I think if Glen and Universal sat down and really discussed eachother's needs, they could get along. Money is usually the great equalizer but I know for a fact for Glen it's not about the money anymore, it's about the principle that he is planning to make a motion picture that relaunches the franchise and Universal chose to compete with that goal.

I know that Glen feels Universal has unfairly stolen his properties from him, however keep in mind that Glen doesn't own the television rights, only the feature film rights. Universal has a right to do anything they want with his television properties as long as they give him the option to executive produce or have some sort of involvement, unless he decides to opt out of it.

We all share a love affair with automobiles in some form or another. I honestly want the new series to succeed as a Knight Rider fan but I believe Gary Scott Thompson has a lot of work ahead of him to bring it to where it needs to be and it starts by listening to what the people want (within reason). I am pleased that he's addressed the blatant decline in design with the car so I guess we'll see what they come up with.

I do my best to report what I can as accurate as I can do it, when I'm allowed to do so and those who appreciate it make it all worth while. I'm limited in what I can say and more often then not trying to report things in advance backfires due to plans changing from day to day (like announcements in the trades). Now I just sit back and wait for something concrete to say, it's better that way.

=VK=

epc1122
Rookie

Post by epc1122 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:15 am

thats understandable. i'm a huge superman fan, so i'm always over at bluetights.net and superherohype.com, hoping for some information. i'm used to rumors being false or misinformed. you seem to know what you're talking about, and its appreciated that you try to give the information that you can give. it's probably really difficult to keep some of the information in, i know i would just want to give away the secrets and news, but when you're in the industry, there has to be limits. it's a shame that there is so much going on in the background. movies and television are so different, i really don't see why the two parties cant agree. with the movies, you ultimately have a remake of the original, and the television show is like a continuation of the series. ultimately, both are fresh starts on knight rider. well, thanks for the quick reply. have a good night, or day, depending on where you're from.

Evan

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:41 am

I'm also a very big Superman fan, that's why I was so incredibly disappointed with Superman Returns. I won't get into that whole discussion though. I had the good fortune of actually meeting Brandon Routh and he was a stand up guy. When it comes to spoilers, the important thing to remember is that many of the things you either change from day to day, week to week, or are just not reliable.

I tend to read latinoreview and superherohype because they tend to be more reliable then AICN, CHUD, etc. Really though Hollywood is in a constant state of change and revision so what might be true one day, can change the next and so on. There's some movies I like to be spoiled on and others I just like the mystery like Indy IV and The Dark Knight. I know just enough to know their going to be worth watching when they come out.

With movie prices so rediculously high these days, you really have to pick and choose what you go to the theater to watch anymore. These days I wait for things to come out on dvd or if I'm lucky catch a screening at Glen's place. As far as projects getting along and whatnot, it still comes down to both money and ego.

A creator wants to be in control of their creation, where as studio execs don't tend to care much about the creative side of making a movie, all they see is how much it's going to cost them to make. Especially with set design and visual effects.

Also when you create something, it's your world and you understand how it operates and how your characters should act. When you have to share that world with other writers, producers, etc. it becomes a conflict of interest. You want to make sure your vision is preserved as best as possible and it's clear that Universal has not done that with Glen's creations.

In my opinion you don't have to work with an original creator to make a project work but with something that has as large a following as Knight Rider and it's own mythology, it helps to stay consistant with the history that has been created, rather then try to revise it.

I'm in California BTW.

=VK=

epc1122
Rookie

Post by epc1122 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:03 am

well i couldn't sleep lol. personally, i loved superman returns, but yeah, this is a knight rider forum so i won't be getting into it. although i will say that i've been a superman fan since i was three, so i can find something good about any incarnation of superman. but back to knight rider. i totally understand how a creator would want their creation to be treated with respect and taken to the next level; but i kind of feel like the new knight rider television show is trying to do that. to me, the two hour back door pilot felt like it was treating the original with respect, but trying to add something new. at first i wasn't all thrilled with the mustang as the choice for the car, but it really did grow on me. i can see the car not being a trans am or some futuristic car that does not really exist. i'm seeing about four mustangs a day on the road and have grown a real fondness for the car. was the interior as high tech as i would have liked it? probably not, but i always felt that; when it becomes an actual television show they will enhance everything, that goes for the characters as well as the car. i remember the original series kept adding to the interior of the car. from the voice modulator to even including green lights that light up on the gas pedal.

Waveride iNC
Volunteer

Post by Waveride iNC » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:39 am

God i really hope this movie comes together, i really want to see Glen pull this one off an show everyone that he's the man and only he can bring the Knight back.

DeeKnight
Operative

Post by DeeKnight » Fri May 02, 2008 3:37 pm

This is a chinese democracy of the movie world!

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Sat May 03, 2008 5:55 pm

DeeKnight wrote:This is a chinese democracy of the movie world!
woah woah....let's not say things we can't take back 8) It's cool to have another Gunner though! Let's hope THIS will be our year.... :wink:
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DeeKnight
Operative

Post by DeeKnight » Mon May 05, 2008 4:01 pm

tamatt27 wrote:
DeeKnight wrote:This is a chinese democracy of the movie world!
woah woah....let's not say things we can't take back 8) It's cool to have another Gunner though! Let's hope THIS will be our year.... :wink:
lol and we can all get our doctor pepper!

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:26 pm

Okay, so as you know, I talk a lot, :lol: but nevertheless I’m still kinda new. I haven’t really been paying attention to this movie thing, but here are my thoughts if they interest you:

First, as to the pesky little problem of this new TV show…
Yes there have been other KR relaunch attempts without GL. …And we fans hated them. …But we like this one. And I think that really says something. -Even if the rest of the world hasn’t caught up with us yet.

Now there is always the possibility that they end up changing the new TV show in such a way that we all hate it. Then I guess the movie could do anything. Then again the average joe out there will say to themselves, oh come on they are remaking KR again, give it up already.
Now if the show is a hit… I’m kinda already attached to these new characters. But I guess Dave Andron owns them? That complicates the matter.

As you might know I have very little love left for DH, which I guess would please you movie folks. But… just look at justinbruening.net and I as examples… If this show is huge, us girls will accept no substitutes.
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:55 pm

Okay, so as you know, I talk a lot, but nevertheless I’m still kinda new. I haven’t really been paying attention to this movie thing, but here are my thoughts if they interest you:

- Always open to hearing fan input, even if they don't agree with my response to it.

First, as to the pesky little problem of this new TV show…
Yes there have been other KR relaunch attempts without GL. …And we fans hated them. …But we like this one. And I think that really says something. -Even if the rest of the world hasn’t caught up with us yet.

- I disagree partially. The ratings slump during the second airing shows that while people may have liked watching the premiere once, many didn't come back to view it a second time. Don't get me wrong this does not mean that people "hate it". There were a lot of new viewers out there who liked the idea of bringing Knight Rider back to the small screen but it's proven that they also felt that while there are things the backdoor pilot did right, there were a great number of things that left a lot to be desired before it could really go to a full series.

I believe fans new and old want Knight Rider back on the air, but they want to be assured that what comes on isn't going to crash and burn before it's had a chance to really develop properly. I have great faith that Gary Scott Thompson will at least take some of our concerns into consideration when revising and reintroducing Knight Rider to the small screen once more this September. It is my hope as a fan that the second time out, things will be more impressive and lasting. I don't expect perfection from a pilot of any sorts but I do want a reason to keep watching and how that is achieved is what really matters. Don't exclude the history or mythology of Knight Rider, work within what you can and avoid revisionist history at all costs when it comes to the original four seasons.

Because it's a continuation and not a complete reboot, it must adhere to certain rules to maintain its existance as a credible branch of what came before, rather then deviate entirely away from it. I want that "wow" factor that keeps me wanting to see what happens next and I want to believe that when Mike Tracer interacts with KITT, it feels like KITT is really there responding. That's one of the greatest testaments to David's career, he really helped sell the idea that KITT was right there talking back. The illusion was handled so well in editing, there are people who just now realize where KITT's voice box really was, which was above the steering wheel and not off to the side of the dash.

Now there is always the possibility that they end up changing the new TV show in such a way that we all hate it. Then I guess the movie could do anything. Then again the average joe out there will say to themselves, oh come on they are remaking KR again, give it up already.
Now if the show is a hit… I’m kinda already attached to these new characters. But I guess Dave Andron owns them? That complicates the matter.

- If you look at say Smallville and Superman Returns (yeah but this is the closest example I can use really). Superman Returns was the return of Superman to the big screen while Smallville continues to explain his pre-Superman suit days. Both deal with the same character but handle him in different approaches.

While Superman Returns left a lot to be desired, some people still like elements of it because at its core it's still the story of Superman with all the familair elements we've come to expect from the Fortress of Solitude to the S shield on his chest and the characters reprising their roles such as Lex, Louis, Clark, Jimmy, etc.

Different actors, simular design aspects but still the same genre. Smallville takes itself into another direction and yet you still have these connections that exist between both worlds. Smallville just recently introduced the "S" shield from Superman Returns as well, rather then the classic DC comics version.

It's true that unlike Knight Rider, these two properties are owned by the same studio, but they still took different directions with their approach to both television and theatrical presentations.

I believe with the concept of Knight Rider, it is possible for two different visions to co-exist as long as there is an agreement of what is and what is not acceptable to the overall intention of the concept. This being for instance, Michael Knight won't kill people for no reason, KITT won't be red white and blue, KITT won't be some sort of bike, Devon Miles is Wilton's assistant, not a younger street-wise teenager, Garthe Knight won't be "the good guy", KITT will not willingly endanger human life etc, etc.

Certain aspects of Knight Rider must translate from one vision to the next for it to remain Knight Rider and not be some concept "in name only". The biggest being the car MUST talk, that's the #1 thing that makes Knight Rider set apart from any other show out there, especially at present. Is it just that? No, the second element is the relationship between the owner and the car. Mike and KITT, or Michael and KITT you must believe these two interact. Lastly but most importantly, One Man Can Make a Difference. This must be the recurring theme whether it's a continuation or a reimagining.

I guess the last one which is arguably exclusive to Knight Rider is turbo boost. People can debate whether it's cheesy or dated or whatever but there is nothing that sells a KITT car more to us as fans then seeing the sucker jump over anything in it's way. It's just a technological marvel, modern cars still cannot achieve without the assistance of a ramp. (Yeah I know the stunts used ramps, but I'm talking "story" here not effects work).

In the world of Knight Rider we believe a car can jump just like in Superman, that a man can fly.

These are staples of Knight Rider mythology that cannot be changed for the sake of "new directions" or "updating dated material". So in that sense, I hope people can embrace the idea that two visions of Knight Rider can still manage to co-exist, rather then compete.

It's really going to be up to the audiences themselves to decide which they prefer or if they prefer both. I think one deciding element will be the design of the car and the "wow" factor it has. Who is going to "get it" and who is going to miss the mark.

I believe all the rights to the television version of the 2008 Knight Rider belong to Universal and NBCU. Andron's creative rights really depend on the terms of his contract. He didn't "create" Knight Rider, he "expanded" on it so he may have limited rights to the characters he invented independent from the original series.

I believe both visions of Knight Rider can branch off in their own directions and still keep the fans satisfied enough in Knight Rider itself. I mean really think about this, you have not only one KR project returning from the ashes but two and that's two opportunities to get it right and one of them is by the creator himself.

Whichever the fans prefer, I promise you this much...you haven't seen everything yet. By the time this year is over, there will be no doubt that 2008 was the year that Knight Rider resurrected itself back into the spotlight and the years to come will only make the torch we've carried for this cult favorite burn even brighter.

It is back and it is back in a big way.

As you might know I have very little love left for DH, which I guess would please you movie folks. But… just look at justinbruening.net and I as examples… If this show is huge, us girls will accept no substitutes.

- It's no secret that NBCU wants to cash in on Justin's sex appeal, not to mention reach a broader audience with it's lesbian ties to Carrie Rivai but that's show business and these days sex and violence sells. It will take more then a pretty boy driving a "hot" car to make the show last, that's where the sex appeal ends and the writing begins.

I think Justin has a lot of potential but its up to the director to get it out of him and the rest of the cast.

I do not dislike "David", I dislike his "Hoff" persona. As humble David he no doubt made Knight Rider the hit that it was along with the supporting cast and crew. Collectively he did carry that show by making us believe K.I.T.T. was more then a stageprop and some post-production voice work. David, when he wishes to do so can bring a lot to the table and I wish he would really understand how much the fans look up to him not for Baywatch or his music but for the role model he protrayed on tv that every guy wanted to be growing up and that was Michael Knight.

Not Lt. Mitch Buchannon, Not "The Hoff, not even David Hasselhoff...

...Michael Knight.

=VK=

epc1122
Rookie

Post by epc1122 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:11 pm

hey victor,

i know you cant give details of any kind about glen larson's knight rider movie, but of what you know about the script; what do you like about it? is it a remake of the original show but with today's technology or is it more of a new movie but with some subtleties of the original show. i understand if you cant really go into detail or even say anything about it. i was just curious what you think about the script, from what you know about it.

Evan

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:03 pm

I have not read Glen's new revisions yet so I cannot comment on the script at this time. From what I know there have been some significant changes from the version I read back in November. I'm only at liberty to disclose what Glen allows me to say because I greatly value and will not betray his trust.

=VK=

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:14 pm

Hey VK, I know your busy and such but I wanted to know if you can answer the question I directed towards in another thread. If you have seen Iron Man, can we expect some cool things derived from that movie that will allow ideas into creating KITT (unique HUD, Jarvis's personality and capabilites, etc.)

Also, I saw in another thread there is some news coming very soon, do you know when exactly we will be able to get it? I am very anxious as are others to see how Knight Rider will be reinvented towards the bigscreen and in today's culture/technologies, especially if it is in Glen's hands! Who better than the creator to make the film!

Thanks!

Joe

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:28 pm

Hey VK, I know your busy and such but I wanted to know if you can answer the question I directed towards in another thread. If you have seen Iron Man, can we expect some cool things derived from that movie that will allow ideas into creating KITT (unique HUD, Jarvis's personality and capabilites, etc.)

- Until I've read the revisions, I really don't know what he has in mind at the moment other then the general storyline direction. These questions can be better addressed when the production moves into the "pre-production" artwork phase when we deal with storyboarding, prop design, concept art, and so on.

When I have a better idea about the direction, I'll shed more light on this. There's just been a lot of revisions made from the original completed script submitted to TWC before the WGA strike and also in light of the NBCU backdoor pilot's debut, certain elements needed to be changed to remain unique.

Also, I saw in another thread there is some news coming very soon, do you know when exactly we will be able to get it? I am very anxious as are others to see how Knight Rider will be reinvented towards the bigscreen and in today's culture/technologies, especially if it is in Glen's hands! Who better than the creator to make the film!

- I have to meet with Glen first to see what direction he wishes to go in with respects to interacting with his fans and what details he will allow me to reveal accordingly. If I had to make a guess on when I can start disclosing things (with his permission), it could be tomorrow or it could be July, you just never know because it's up to him to decide what he wishes to say and when he wishes to say it. I've said this before, I am not some person looking to dish out spoilers...I am an insider and I will not say or do anything to jeapordize his trust in me.

I ask his fans to pleae be a bit more patient, I have no doubts the fans continued support of Glen and his vision of Knight Rider will be rewarded before this year is over. 2008 is shaping up to be a very good year for Knight Rider fans and the best is yet to come. I have been working very hard on a new Knight Rider project for all the Knight Rider fans out there and details will be released about it later towards the end of the month.

It does involve Glen and it has his blessing.

Sorry I can't be of more help at the moment but please bare with me. I am doing my best to gather more reliable info I can share with you.

=VK=

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:46 pm

No Problem VK! Thanks for the info! Believe me I think all of us are willing to be patient! BTW definetly a great idea to stay unique and apart from NBCU Pilot!

Joe

tamatt27
FLAG Assistant

Post by tamatt27 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:35 pm

victor kros wrote: 2008 is shaping up to be a very good year for Knight Rider fans and the best is yet to come. I have been working very hard on a new Knight Rider project for all the Knight Rider fans out there and details will be released about it later towards the end of the month.

Sorry I can't be of more help at the moment but please bare with me. I am doing my best to gather more reliable info I can share with you.

=VK=
So the Kittrules thing is related to the new KR film eh?
KNIGHT RIDER RELOADED is a series of movies on Youtube to represent a different creative avenue to the Knight Rider we knew in 2008-09.
http://www.youtube.com/user/tamatt27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:08 pm

So the Kittrules thing is related to the new KR film eh?

- No, I can tell you with absolute certainty that neither myself nor Glen have anything to do with kittrules.com

=VK=

epc1122
Rookie

Post by epc1122 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:53 am

victor kros wrote:Hey VK, I know your busy and such but I wanted to know if you can answer the question I directed towards in another thread. If you have seen Iron Man, can we expect some cool things derived from that movie that will allow ideas into creating KITT (unique HUD, Jarvis's personality and capabilites, etc.)

- Until I've read the revisions, I really don't know what he has in mind at the moment other then the general storyline direction. These questions can be better addressed when the production moves into the "pre-production" artwork phase when we deal with storyboarding, prop design, concept art, and so on.

When I have a better idea about the direction, I'll shed more light on this. There's just been a lot of revisions made from the original completed script submitted to TWC before the WGA strike and also in light of the NBCU backdoor pilot's debut, certain elements needed to be changed to remain unique.

- I have to meet with Glen first to see what direction he wishes to go in with respects to interacting with his fans and what details he will allow me to reveal accordingly. If I had to make a guess on when I can start disclosing things (with his permission), it could be tomorrow or it could be July, you just never know because it's up to him to decide what he wishes to say and when he wishes to say it. I've said this before, I am not some person looking to dish out spoilers...I am an insider and I will not say or do anything to jeapordize his trust in me.

I ask his fans to pleae be a bit more patient, I have no doubts the fans continued support of Glen and his vision of Knight Rider will be rewarded before this year is over. 2008 is shaping up to be a very good year for Knight Rider fans and the best is yet to come. I have been working very hard on a new Knight Rider project for all the Knight Rider fans out there and details will be released about it later towards the end of the month.

=VK=
so theres a knight rider tv show, knight rider movie, and you're also working on a knight rider project?

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:01 pm

That is correct.

=VK=

epc1122
Rookie

Post by epc1122 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:01 am

thats pretty cool. i wonder what its going to be about. can't wait for the news. it must be some online thing? i dunno. its not a movie and its not a tv show, what the hell (in a good way lol). :D can't wait for it.