EL voice/sound activated Knight Rider shirt

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

dustindustries
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

EL voice/sound activated Knight Rider shirt

Post by dustindustries » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:06 pm

I have been working on an EL (Electro Luminescent) Knight Rider shirt for a few months now and I finally got my hands on a sample today and I must say it was not a let down. I am still messing around with it and want to make sure that it looks the part before going ahead with the final design. It is based on the Season 1 dash with the 4 buttons on each side AIR/OIL P1 P2 etc. and I was just wondering if people would prefer the later season dash with the 5 square buttons . I figured I would start with the original first as that`s where it all began, I watched a bit on Karr today on Youtube and he has the same dash but with yellow voice lights moving in different directions. I am working on posting a vid on Youtube but I just need to get hold of some more sound bites and a nice backdrop. I would also like to get some opinions on anything I should change as It is just a prototype at this stage but still a fully working piece. I guess it`s hard to comment without seeing it and I hope to get something happening in the next day or two. Hope you like it as much as I do, later. DUSTINDUSTRIES
DUST doesn`t RUST!

KnightGTP
Recruit

Re: EL voice/sound activated Knight Rider shirt

Post by KnightGTP » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:59 pm

That sounds awesome. I really liked the season3/4 dash the best. But that's just IMO. The dash is just more smooth to me. We can we expect to see this? Looking forward :dance:
1998 Pontiac GTP

dustindustries
Recruit

Post by dustindustries » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:41 am

I am watching Season 3 right now `Knight of the Drones` and K.I.T.T. still has the original 4 button dash. I tried filming some footage of the shirt earlier and hope to post it on Youtube this evening if all goes well with my camera and upload. DUST
DUST doesn`t RUST!

dustindustries
Recruit

Post by dustindustries » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:54 pm

I just posted a short vid on Youtube of the EL panel and the shirt. I paused and cut it with the episode Night of the Drones. You can check it out at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1oQgddu6o8

Though it took me a while it is a bit dodgy but still shows the shirt in action and I wanted to make it a little entertaining atleast. I will likely work on another vid tomorrow to show the shirt a bit more. I am currently watching season 3 where K.I.T.T. gets the new dash and I may put that design together next. Any suggestions or feed back would be great, DUST
DUST doesn`t RUST!

KnightGTP
Recruit

Post by KnightGTP » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:49 pm

Ha! Thats great! How much will it cost? Will the shirt be heavy? Are you programing Kitt phrases into the shirt or is that just macthed up with the dvd? At any rate I want one. I really liked it. I can't wait to see the season 3 voice box. Keep up the good work. :mrgreen:
1998 Pontiac GTP

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:55 pm

Great shirt and even greater idea. I have a question about the AIR/OIL/P1/P2 buttons. I see they're the correct orange but why do they turn green when the shirt is activated? Was that a color limitation? Voice box looks great as well, it's wider then it should be but still does the trick.

Good job, keep up the good work. I prefer the season 1/2 dash myself.

=VK=
:dash:

dustindustries
Recruit

Post by dustindustries » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:26 pm

REPLY to Victor: I made the design from scratch in a printshop deluxe program so the dimensions may be a little off but I think it shows the voice box a little better. As for the colors you are correct it looks Yellow then when it lights up it goes green, I will ask my friend about this as her company made it for me. Also I can adjust the sensitivity of the lights and I have it down low it won`t light up the voice box so I thought of removing the buttons from the shirt and just having the voice box, any thoughts?
DUST doesn`t RUST!

dustindustries
Recruit

Post by dustindustries » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:53 pm

REPLY to GTP: I am looking at around $60 for the shirt at this stage. I would have really liked to add voice phrases directly from the shirt but not sure if that`s possible. It already has internal wires and a battery pack that sits in a small pocket on the left inside the shirt. It is not heavy to wear but you have to be a bit careful when taking it off because of the wires though they are sewn in to a fabric tube also.

I am an Australian currently living in China and all my collectibles and Dvds are in storage so I had to go and pick up a Knight Rider Dvd here hence the Chinese subtitles on the vid. I was also on my own when filming so didn`t wear the shirt in th shot. I have had the idea for the shirt for a while now and this is the first prototype I received and may still make changes.

The panel is attached to the shirt by a velcro square but I don`t like this as the panel starts to curl up a bit and doesn`t sit flat on the shirt, I will likely ask her to sew it on directly. I am glad you liked it and I will let you know of any progress. :dash: DUSTINDUSTRIES
DUST doesn`t RUST!

kopiikat
Rookie

Post by kopiikat » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:23 am

This is amazing! Please keep us posted! And I know someone who taught in Shenzhen... Do you know Nolan?
KITT: 请别叫我‘汽车’或是‘几只轮子’,我是奈特工业2000号!

dustindustries
Recruit

Post by dustindustries » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:03 am

Thanks for that Kopiikat, I don`t know of this Nolan you speak of. I taught a bit of English from home but not full time. I have been here setting up my own clothing line and have a website at http://www.dustindustries.com . I need to film some more of the actual T-shirt in action as the first vid I made was mostly a KR slice. I had a friend over earlier for dinner but not enough time to film something so it looks like I will do it myself. I will keep you posted. DUST
DUST doesn`t RUST!

KnightGTP
Recruit

Post by KnightGTP » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:57 pm

Hey Dust is there anyway I could buy just a 3rd/4th season panel of you that I could put into my GTP? Then I could hide the battery pack and have a talking kitt in my car :mrgreen: It would be real awesome if I could link it up to the music on my cd player some how. Just curious. Would love to have one.
1998 Pontiac GTP

dustindustries
Recruit

Post by dustindustries » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:24 pm

I am still working out the bugs in the first season dash panel at the mo and am waiting another sample that I hope will improve the color of yellow lights and also reduce the over all size of the panel and get the lights working the way I would like.

I am also only making about 100 of these to begin with so my costs will be much higher than If I made larger quantities so please excuse my projected price. If all goes well with the first design and I am happy with the way it looks and works then I will likely go ahead with the 3rd/4th season dash. I would like to put together another vid within a few days with the update panel as I wasn`t real happy with the first one but can`t seem to delete any vids from Youtube for some reason. Anyone know how to delete uploads?
DUST doesn`t RUST!

KnightGTP
Recruit

Post by KnightGTP » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:46 pm

dustindustries wrote:I am still working out the bugs in the first season dash panel at the mo and am waiting another sample that I hope will improve the color of yellow lights and also reduce the over all size of the panel and get the lights working the way I would like.

I am also only making about 100 of these to begin with so my costs will be much higher than If I made larger quantities so please excuse my projected price. If all goes well with the first design and I am happy with the way it looks and works then I will likely go ahead with the 3rd/4th season dash. I would like to put together another vid within a few days with the update panel as I wasn`t real happy with the first one but can`t seem to delete any vids from Youtube for some reason. Anyone know how to delete uploads?
So does that mean you could sell me just a panel? LOL. I could settle for a first season voice panel. Do you add voice clips to it? Or does it just randomly move?
1998 Pontiac GTP

dustindustries
Recruit

Post by dustindustries » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:29 am

Ok latest update of frustration in communication. I asked the company today when the new sample will be ready and it seems that she misunderstood my meaning and wants me to send her new measurements etc. and I can`t work out what she is talking about with regards to my requests to adjust the lights. I really need to brush up on my Chinese or hire a translator. She tells me the sample will take 4 to 5 days, I personally am tired of waiting and if I include sample time, testing and actual production I am looking at another month, no thanks.

I have also mentioned that this is a prototype and any input, suggestions, even telling me this sux or is too large or just not worth all the trouble would be better than nothing. I have decided to cut the Air/Oil buttons etc. from the design and just have K.I.T.T.`s voice simulator bars. If you would like just the panel I am sure I can hook you when I get the batch. I have 2 panels now with the Air/Oil but they are 200mm by 60mm and probably too big to place in your Gtp.

Excuse the rant here, I like to deliver on my word and the dates keep changing. DUST
DUST doesn`t RUST!

dustindustries
Recruit

Post by dustindustries » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:56 am

Ok wheels in motion so to speak, I am looking at approx. 12 days for finished production of 100 shirts. The new design is of K.I.T.T.s voice box as I wasn`t satisfied with the lighting color or the movement and really want to stay true to feeling of K.I.T.T. and the buttons lighting up when the voice box does didn`t seem right but I still liked the look of it. I will update the vid when I get the shirts but will only have 100 shirts at this stage so if anyone really wants one and to be the first before someone else jacks my idea I suggest you contact me and I will put one aside for you. DUST
DUST doesn`t RUST!