Season 1 Marathon

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Judd
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Season 1 Marathon

Post by Judd » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:23 pm

Todai I got the first season DVD of Knight Rider. I plan on posting brief reviews of each episode. I haven't seen these episodes in many years. It looks like a fun DVD. 80's TV is different than what's on today. I know Knight Rider is a product of it's time but it's still enjoyable to watch. I'm not going to pan it for being an 80's show.

I'm sure some of the episodes I'll enjoy are ones you don't care for and ones I'll praise aren't your favorites.

It'll be interesting to see these episodes again.

Judd
Operative

Re: Season 1 Marathon

Post by Judd » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:57 pm

Knight of the Phoenix:

That was good. I enjoyed it. I liked the many humerous moments like the scenes with the car thieves and when Mike was stopped by the cops. The stunt work was very good. The acting was solid. The Trans Am still looks cool. I was impressed with the direction, especially when we first see K.I.T.T.. The scene when K.I.T.T. breaks Micheal out of jail was very well done.

I'm not sure about the plot involving the mircochip. It dragged in places. Overall it was well done. It does have the 80's look and style. It's a bit melodramic in parts but that's not a criticism more of an observation on the conventions of 80's TV.

I did enjoy seeing it again and look forward to more episodes. I knew there was a good reason why I watched it back then.

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:46 pm

Deadly Maneuvers:

I enjoy this one. It wasn't great but it did have a straight forward plot. The murder mystery worked. The climax with the test firing range was exciting. I do remember Micheal playing a video game in K.I.T.T. and the woman trapped in the tank. I thought it was funny when the lunch wagon was destroyed. It must had been scary when the car caught on fire after that close explosion.

It was a decent watchable episode. It had some good action scenes and humor. I really like the banter between K.I.T.T. and Micheal. It worked right off the bat.

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:59 pm

A Good Day at White Rock:

I really enjoyed this one. I liked it more than the revious episode. It had the theme of standing up for yourself without being a bully. I thought the acting was very good. I enjoyed the resturant scenes with Devon and Micheal. The gag with the dog sniffing K.I.T.T.'s tires was funny and so was K.I.T.T.'s escape from the inpound.

Anne Lockheart is great. So pretty and talented. I've noticed they used many known actors from other shows of the time. I also heard many sound effects from Battlestar and The Six Million Dollar Man.

I enjoyed seeing it again. The jump over the pond was very well done. I wonder what the car looked like after it landed. It looked like it was going to land on the front tire.

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:04 pm

Slammin' Sammy's Stunt Show Spectacular:

I didn't care for this one. The car stunts were pretty average. There wasn't much action in it. The story was full of cliche's. It was no surprise who the villian was. Micheal was never in any real danger. It was very predictable. K.I.T.T. had a few humorous lines. The explosion at the end which K.I.T.T. stopped wasn't believeable.

A minor thing I noticed. You can see in some shots the regular interior of the stunt car with the round wheel.

This episode didn't appeal to me.

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:57 pm

Just My Bill:

This was better than the last episode. The story still holds up pretty well. The characters were believeable and fun and there were some plot twists. The scene with the helicopter was really good. I like the idea of K.I.T.T. parking himself. I liked this one much more than the Stunt Show episode.

Does Bonnie ever get grease on her suit or hands while she's working on K.I.T.T.?

Reissuleipa
Rookie

Post by Reissuleipa » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:29 am

I like reading your reviews but is marathon the right word since you're only watching like 2 episodes/day :D .

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:31 pm

Not a Drop to Drink:

Knight Rider reminds me of The Six Million Dollar Man in how the series is executed. We have a unique hook along with some interesting characters which sell the concept. The plots are rather straight forward. The tone is kid-family friendly. Knight Rider has more action than a typical episode of SM$M.

This epsidoe was okay. I didn't dislike it but I didn't think it was all that great. The plot concerning a greedy land baron shutting off the water supply to struggling ranchers has been done before.

I did like the scenes when K.I.T.T. chased the villian and pretended he was a UFO and I also like the bull fighting scene.

I didn't buy that K.I.T.T. could pull a back hoe by shooting a grappling hook into the machine's tire. The tire would have been torn apart before K.I.T.T. would have been able to drag it. I also didn't buy how the car was able to create a dam by using a rocket thrust out of it's tail pipe. Huh?

Some parts worked but other parts didn't.

KnightLegend
Rookie

Post by KnightLegend » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:32 pm

Some nice reviews you have there. Keep it up.

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:28 pm

No Big Thing:

This episode was fun and had a serious tone also. The main plot about the corrupt judge and his henchmen was well done. The reporter who's seen better days and has drifted into alcoholism was a unique storyline for the series. It touched upon some serious and mature themes.

Devon had more to do in this than just be a M type of character who gives out assignments. We learn more about his past and the events which formed his character.

There were lots of fun moments too. I enjoyed seeing K.I.T.T. in the gas station. The prison cafeteria fight was amusing. The car scenes were entertaining. I really liked the jump when K.I.T.T. crashed into the camper.

I liked this episode it was fun but also contained some drama.

I'm really looking foward to seeing Trust Doesn't Rust again. I saw a few scenes of it on Sci-Fi not too long ago. Looks good.

P.S. Was Bon Bon ever given anything more to do than just be a decoration?

Showpro1
FLAG Recruit

Post by Showpro1 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:30 am

With the episode Not A Drop To Drink - when KITT is damming up the on coming water in the valley below
they borrowed shall we saythe footage from the original SuperMan Movie that starred Christpher Reeve.

I dont see the the Six Million Dollar Man comparison & SMDM never borrowed from other series or in this case
motion picture (SuperMan).

Also in Trust Doesnt Rust- footage from an episode of RockFord Files( Profit And Loss) is used when KARR is eluding the police at night. :kitt2: :dash:

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:17 pm

I like your reviews, keep them coming :) As for "Was Bon Bon ever given anything more to do than just be a decoration?", you'll just have to watch all episodes ;)

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:55 pm

Trust Doesn't Rust:

This episode was great. It was more than just a evil twin story, which was pretty clever for KR. An evil twin story involving two cars is very clever. This episode was written better. The dialogue was sharper. The characters were more dymanic. The script also touched upon some classic philoposhical ideas. We also had some foreshadowing as to what was going to happen but the plot wasn't predictable. The plotting and dialogue was better than in some of the other episodes.

Bon Bon :) was given more to do in this. She was very resourceful. I'm not saying it was the proper thing to do but I noticed a camera angle showing off her figure while she's working on K.I.T.T.

Parts of this were very funny. Some of the lines cracked me up. "He's got a touchy motor." K.I.T.T. and Micheal were given some great lines. K.I.T.T. is evolving into a more developed character. I laughed when Micheal and Bonnie almost kissed.

I liked the action scenes too. It was fun to see K.A.R.R. leap over K.I.T.T.

As others have pointed out I did see a few brief clips of previous footage. I saw the star stickers on K.A.R.R. at one point. It didn't bother me since it was so brief. I saw the older police car passing an adult theater. That's not supposed to happen in KR.

This is an example of what I remember the series to be and why I enjoyed it so much when it was first on and I'm enjoying revisiting it. :kitt:

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:50 pm

Inside Out:

I thought this was a very solid episode. The opening sequence was well done and so here the scenes in the trailer. The cops were funny. It was a good caper story and quite clever in how they stole the gold from the truck. It was a nice twist when the Col. revealed they weren't going to break into the prison but steal the gold shipment. K.I.T.T. had some good lines in this. I enjoyed the scene with the road block.

The script was sharply written. It had a good pace and it worked for me. I didn't notice any major plot holes or unpractical stunts.

It was well done. I like Trust better but this was really good too.

Gadjet
Rookie

Post by Gadjet » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:28 am

Good day at white rock.

What i allways find funny about this episode is the fact that these well hard bikers are mostly running Honda CX500s and Honda Super dreams.
Now I have a super dream and there not the fastest or the best bike to be running there slow and ride quite like a slug.

The rappor between KITT and Micheal is spot on in this one. My fave bit being:
MK "Any ideas?"
KITT"I thought I would let you go first as it allways make you feel so much better on those rare ocasions you out think me"
MK "Oh thats funny thats very funny."

Yea a good episode. Keep up the good work on your revews!

Gadjet
My youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/gadget127 contains my own vids Street Hawk vs Knight rider, Knight rider/Mad max music vids and lots of high octaine action

Crumbling Down
FLAG Recruit

Post by Crumbling Down » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:52 pm

Ever since I watched Good Day at White Rock I have had the strangest lines from the show stuck in my head. All day it keeps repeating and repeating in my head and I even caught myself saying it out loud. It's from the part where the bikers are getting drunk and partying outside and the one leader dude goes "knock, knock" I believe one of the other bikers says "who's there?" The head biker guy say "Simon Jaunty" "simon jaunty evening!" at which every biker seems to start laughing. I did not understand this joke at all and maybe it was supposed to be an inside joke for the other bikers?
Booonnnnnzzzzaaaaaiii!!!!!!!! As michael turbo boosts to score the extra point. His face is so funny when he yells this and when he hits turbo boost his eyes get huge and he flies back into the seat

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:26 pm

^^It's a pun of the song "Some Enchanted Evening."

The Final Verdict:

For some reason I remember this episode. I kind of liked it. It didn't have a whole lot of action in it and some segments were a bit dull. There were a number of humerous moments which appealed to me. I think the scenes in the fitness club were supposed to be an homage to Benny Hill. The same music was used in a Hill's Angels skit he did set in a health club.

I thought it was funny when Micheal caught in couple in bed and when Marty tried to climb over the fense. The warehouse chase scene was slapstick in nature.

I wasn't sure where the episode was going at first. The opening was like Prisioner in Cell Block H. It started out very serious then had some silly-funny scenes in it. The tone seemed uneven.

I did like the episode for the humor and nostalgia value. It wasn't great but it was watchable.

As these things go it's just my subjective opinion. It's also real easy to be critical of something but very hard to create a fictional narrative story.

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:55 pm

A Plush Ride:

I thought this was very good. The story with the group being trained to be body guards of VIP's was entertaining. It had some good suspense with Micheal trying to discover who the ringer was. There was good tension when he was being chased in the field. The end was exciting when K.I.T.T. had to out manuver the group of armoured cars.

The scenes in the saloon was quite fun. Bonnie looked great in a cowboy hat. The story also had global implications which was a bit different than other episodes. It gives the show some variety. I did remember the opening scene in the trailer.

I also thought David gave a very good performance in this. He had a number of things to do and he was very good in it.

I enjoyed it and thought it was well done all around. The only minor mistake I saw was in a few shots you could see they used a different car for K.I.T.T. The interior had a round steering wheel.

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:42 am

Forget Me Not:

I'd like to forget this episode. As Krusty the clown once said, "What the hell was that?" There was so little action in this and the plot was dull. The scenes with Micheal at the party were boring. It could have been something like The Man With the Golden Gun with a professional hit man vs. Micheal Knight. That could have worked but this was just plain dull. Judy Landers is pretty but she wasn't given anything interesting to do.

This episode was pretty bad.

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:52 pm

Hearts of Stone:

Much better than the last episode. K.I.T.T. has his regular voice modulator and the semi has been done over. Cosmitically it looked better. The plot was well done. I liked the relationship between the brothers. The gun battles and the sparks flying off of K.I.T.T. looked good. The stunt work was effective. I also liked how Michael had to make a choice during the mission and how Devon helped him with that. It had a few touches of humor in it as well.

I thought it was a good episode and way better than the last one.

The style and tone of the series now is more of what I remember Knight Rider being like.

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:04 pm

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death:

I thought this was a pretty good episode. It did drag in some parts but got better as it went along. I did enjoy it. The Dukes of Hazzard references were amusing. I laughed at the scene when Liberty had her mouth taped shut. Some of K.I.T.T.'s lines were funny. There was some good suspense in it as to who was the villian. I noticed a minor error. When Liberty was recording them in secret and the man jumped over the counter after her. I saw a Pepsi logo on the soda fountain. In the next shot it was gone.

All around it was a good episode.

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:26 am

The Topaz Connection:

It's funny what I remember from this episode. I haven't seen it in many years but I did remember the computer code was the measurements of the model. It is was nice murder mystery and it shows the original Knight Rider wasn't always squeaky clean. The stunt with the plane was good and I didn't expect Micheal to fall off and land on K.I.T.T.

I'm not sure about K.I.T.T. being able to outrun a plane headed from LA to Las Vegas. I'm not sure why they didn't destroy the computer along with the files. I did think it was a good episode and it was different than some of the other episodes. I enjoyed the joke at the end when K.I.T.T. complained about the staple in his fender.

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:07 pm

A Nice Indecent Little Town:

A very good episode and lots of fun. The jumps were great, especially the street jump. I enjoyed seeing the older woman being driven around by K.I.T.T. The chase scene during Devon's sppech was fun. The plot about the counterfeiters was interesting. It was a fun episode. The car chase when K.I.T.T. drove on two wheels was fun. The only weak point was the reuse of the jail break scene from the pilot.

I thought it was well done and entertaining.

Romulus9
Rookie

Post by Romulus9 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:18 pm

Agreed on reusing the jail scene from the pilot.

How about seeing Jean Bruce Scott in the episode? (Caitlin from seasons 2-3 of my other favorite show, Airwolf).

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:24 pm

Chariot of Gold:

That was outstanding. I don't remember this at all but it was excellent. I really got involved with the story and was anxious to see how they would get out of it. Helios was a great idea and I was quite interested in knowing what they were up to. The story held up well. The guest actors were better than in other episodes. The characters were more dymanic. The main cast were all great. Patricia conveyed that while she was brainwashed she wasn't entirely sure of what she was doing. David and William Daniels and Edward were great also.

It was interesting to have this group steal and attempt to alter K.I.T.T.'s programming to break into the gold vault. The scene in the parking lot was classic. K.I.T.T. appears to be programmed with Asimov's laws of robotics.

The early scenes when Devon is told he's only an honorary member while Bonnie passes the test were amusing. The fight scene in the pit were well done. The episode had great direction. They used a hand held camera and fish eye lens to great effect.

It was a great episode. :kitt: