Old Kenner Toy Ads

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Joe Huth
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Old Kenner Toy Ads

Post by Joe Huth » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:34 pm

Just bought these on Ebay...thought I would share with you all:

Joe

DeeKnight
Operative

Re: Old Kenner Toy Ads

Post by DeeKnight » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:43 pm

Wow very cool!

killem2
Recruit

Post by killem2 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:57 pm

HAHAHAH i remember this I got one when I was like 10 at a garage sale (26 now)

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:28 pm

My mother never bought me a KITT :( and used the black Hotwheel Firebird/Tran-AMs (can't remember if they had the Phoenix logo on them or not) as KITT with a little imagination, maybe that was for the best because I had a habit of destroying those cars by smashing them all to hell. Sometimes I'd do it with a hammer so I could have KITT return from the dead. I did the same with with Legos a few years later but at least every time I did that it was to rebuild with a new and improved design, plus it was a lot cheaper. :D
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

killem2
Recruit

Post by killem2 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:41 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:My mother never bought me a KITT :( and used the black Hotwheel Firebird/Tran-AMs (can't remember if they had the Phoenix logo on them or not) as KITT with a little imagination, maybe that was for the best because I had a habit of destroying those cars by smashing them all to hell. Sometimes I'd do it with a hammer so I could have KITT return from the dead. I did the same with with Legos a few years later but at least every time I did that it was to rebuild with a new and improved design, plus it was a lot cheaper. :D

Hey I was there too. If it wasn't a dollar at a garage sale for something big or 10 cents for something small I didn't get it LOL. I too used a matchbox firebird.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:11 pm

I'm looking around for a pic of the version I use to use, I found a blue one but it's not the same model, close but the front end and hood are not right. I'm pretty sure now that it was a version without the Firebird logo on it. I sometimes would "trade up" and use other cars that I thought were cooler looking for KITT as well. Guess, that shows just how little I was hung up on the whole "KITT is a Trans-Am" thing, even back then. :P Or it might have been from the model I used being discontinued. >_>

You'd think there would be an online museum or something with a list and pics of all the Hotwheel and Matchbox cars produced through the years but that doesn't seem to be the case. Even the official sites show nothing but the current models, lame.

I have a sudden urge to build something with Legos......
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:36 pm

I must have been with you guys in spirit because I used to use a nascar or racing car with the letter s STP on it and it was covered in logos it was yellow and another color I forgot.I got it in camp.I used to cover it in layers of white out when I was a kid and then imagine it was junk yard dog.Then color it with black permanent marker,crack shell of white out and redo it.I still have it and i remembers breaking the right window trying to see whats inside or open the windows.I too wrecked my toys and made my own better toyrs from different things I collected.

I also had this porsche I don't have anymore but it was black and for somereason i thought that was kitt as a kid.

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:41 pm

I played with my brothers Matchbox and Hotwheels cars when I was little, they make fantastic booby traps on a wood floor. (Legos were for booby traps on carpet, preferably in summer when people go barefoot)
We never had KITT as far as I can make out. We did have some Hotwheels track thing... if you took the launcher off the track and just aimed the business end of it upwards, it was fun to launch cars over a Lego wall, or launch them at someone's head as they came through the doorway.
Wonder why mom always sought to get rid of those cars...
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:06 am

God bless the '80s and all the wonderful childhood memories I had, especially from toys like this. :)
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:22 am

I had (and still do) Majorette black Pontiac Trans-Am toycar which substituted for KITT since I too never got an official KITT toycar. Thank goodness I didn't wreck it but it still has now quite rough paint from the turboboosts and ramming into other toycars etc. "stunts". I can imagine that Kenner turboboost cars are nowdays pretty rough condition too :D
Man, the talking Kenner KITT would've been supercool in the 1980's :) Wish ERTL would've used the space under the hood in the 1:18 diecast KITT for additional electronics instead for the engine we never saw in the series in order to make the model talk with William Daniels voice and maybe even flash a red led behind the voicebox in sync with the voice :D

KnightLegend
Rookie

Post by KnightLegend » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:14 am

A very nice buy. Colour me jealous.

Judd
Operative

Post by Judd » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:28 pm

I felt Kenner kind of screwed up with the Talking K.I.T.T. toy car. The interior is nice and it's well made and comes with a decent (for the time) figure of Micheal. The talking gimick is fun. I don't know why they put those huge, red Knight 2000 letters on the doors. I also thought they could have installed a front red light in the toy.

Does anyone else share the same opinion. I would have bought the toy back when the series was on but it didn't appeal to me for those reasons.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:56 pm

Judd wrote:I don't know why they put those huge, red Knight 2000 letters on the doors. I also thought they could have installed a front red light in the toy.

Does anyone else share the same opinion. I would have bought the toy back when the series was on but it didn't appeal to me for those reasons.
That giant red "Knight 2000" lettering always annoyed the hell out of me as a child, too. It was especially frustrating when I'd play with it while watching an episode of the series as it only made me have to pretend it wasn't there even more. If you want to cover the lettering up, a simple strip of black electrical tape works perfectly and it's reversible. I tried that out a few years ago when I reacquired the Voice Car on eBay, but I have to say that since it's a large toy, the car actually looks somewhat dull without it.

I think the reason for the lettering was to distinguish the Kenner toy line from all of the other Knight Rider toys. If you notice, all Kenner K.I.T.T. toys have the same red westminster font on the doors. As for the scanner light, I remember the night my father bought the car for me and he told me that the scanner didn't light up and I told him I didn't care because I was eager to play with it. So for some reason the fact that it didn't light up never really bothered me.

I do, however, remember trying to find the voice modulator on the dashboard and never being able to find it. As I didn't even know where the real one was in the series, I didn't know that it was supposed to be above the steering wheel. Years later, I realized that Kenner never included the voice modulator on the dashboard sticker at all, for whatever reason.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4: