How many 1:18 models did Ertl make?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

PBH
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

How many 1:18 models did Ertl make?

Post by PBH » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:17 am

I personally know of 3 KITT's (Most notable difference are the fog lights) & 1 KARR.

Out of curiosity, were there others?
Phil
On Facebook & MySpace :-)

"One man can make a difference. Like Orville Redenbacher"

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Re: How many 1:18 models did Ertl make?

Post by KITTfan » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:57 pm

They did also the fully chromed "chase car" KITT model.

Yes the foglights are the most visible changes they made, also the base. I guess not so visible changes were made to the scanner during the production run.
First KITT had the amber foglights and silver base, next the amber lights were changed to clear but all foglights had black attachment dots in the center, maybe with this change the base was changed black also. The 3rd version had all clear foglights and the black dots were gone.
KARR was always the same to my knowledge, all clear foglights and yellow voicebox painted.
I have the original 2004 KITT model and bought another one in 2007, I also have the KARR model. The original KITT had no voicebox painted in it but the new KITT model had voicebox painted red by ERTL similar way as KARR's. Anyone else have this kind of KITT model?

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:07 pm

KITTfan wrote: Anyone else have this kind of KITT model?
I own all 3 black K.I.T.T.'s & K.A.R.R. Never really cared for the chase car. What was the idea behind the series of chase cars and why were they called 'chase' anyways?
Phil

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:27 am

Far fetched guess but maybe the idea for the chase cars are from computer / console games, for instance Gran Turismo where if you drive a time trial, you can have the "ghost" car visible which represents the car from your best lap.
Here's pic of my 2007 KITT's voicebox, does any of your KITT model have factory painted voicebox like this? It's just that I never heard they started painting the voicebox before I got this one so I wonder when they started doing that?
Here's KARR:

Original KITT had no painted voicebox so I made it myself from 80's neonred sticker, made also the autocruise light and the top countdown lights from stickers & peace of plastic. Here's pic of it:
This first 2004 KITT model I've modified to make it more true to the show but the 2nd KITT I'll keep as it came from the factory, except I took the tapes off from the body. I've modified KARR too, don't know should I buy another KARR to keep stock as well...

Oh yeah and let's hope the new company that licensed AMT / ERTL modelkits & diecast models would improve the 1:18 KITT model, bring us a version with 1tv dashboard, SPM & C-mode models and also would re-release the original MPC KITT plastic modelkit :)
http://www.spotlighthobbies.com/amt1.htm

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:43 pm

KITTfan wrote:Oh yeah and let's hope the new company that licensed AMT / ERTL modelkits & diecast models would improve the 1:18 KITT model, bring us a version with 1tv dashboard, SPM & C-mode models and also would re-release the original MPC KITT plastic modelkit :)
http://www.spotlighthobbies.com/amt1.htm
Sweet! I didn't realize that a new company took over! That explains the new HIGHLY detailed General Lee from their 'American Muscle Authentics' line which has over 200 parts!!! I hope they do the same to K.I.T.T.!!!

COURTESY - http://www.hollywood-diecast.com/
www.hollywood-diecast.com wrote:Thanks to my (http://www.hollywood-diecast.com) sponsor Pro-Models, I now have in my hands RC2's new American Muscle Authentics version of the General Lee. Boasting 200 parts, I had to do a side-by-side comparison of the Authentics version to the earlier American Muscle version. At first glance, the cars appear to be very similar. But when you put them side-by-side, the first thing you notice is the richer, deeper orange paint job on the Authentics version. Then you notice the text on the roof of the car is blue, as opposed to the black font on the older model. Popping the hood, there are noticeable differences in the details of the engine. I tried to compare the trunk interior on both cars, but the older version's trunk didn't even open. And finally, you really see the attention to detail when you peek at the interior of the car. The older version doesn't have a back seat! The Authentics version has a fully-detailed interior, complete with seatbelts. And finally, I discovered the headlights rotate to be either exposed or concealed. In summary, the new Authentics version is the ultimate version of arguably one of the most famous cars of all time. The price is fairly reasonable to have a car of this amount of detail. I'm sure this car will sell out quickly.

Phil

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:24 pm

I seriously cannot WAIT for a 'American Muscle Authentics' version of KITT :shock:
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

GarthKnight08
FLAG Recruit

Post by GarthKnight08 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:00 am

Ive never heard of KITTs voicebox being painted, i just bought mine & it doesnt have it. Yours must have been made when KARR was made to have the voicebox painted. The General Lee looks awesome, did they announce KITT? Speaking of which anybody want to trade my KITT 1:18 with the all clear fog lights for KARR 1:18 or Smokey & the Bandit 1:18? If so hit me up in PM.
Founder of OKA (Original KITT Anonymous)
If you need to get out feelings of loss for the Original KITT then we can help!

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:07 am

GarthKnight08 wrote:Ive never heard of KITTs voicebox being painted, i just bought mine & it doesnt have it. Yours must have been made when KARR was made to have the voicebox painted. The General Lee looks awesome, did they announce KITT? Speaking of which anybody want to trade my KITT 1:18 with the all clear fog lights for KARR 1:18 or Smokey & the Bandit 1:18? If so hit me up in PM.
Thanks for the information, I had a feeling the painted voicebox may not be very common.
What's the serialnumber / production code in your model's box? My original KITT has 2914SS00, new KITT 3086WY00 and KARR's 1685SS00. The fourth number, does it tell the manufacturing year or design / revision year? If production year, then KARR had been in storage almost 2 years before I purchased it.
What the other numbers & letters mean in the code, can someone tell? Maybe the first three numbers mean production week and day in the year the fourth number tells but what the last 4 letters and numbers mean?

That General Lee looks AWESOME! I also hope they'll treat KITT and KARR models the same way :)

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:27 am

What the other numbers & letters mean in the code, can someone tell? Maybe the first three numbers mean production week and day in the year the fourth number tells but what the last 4 letters and numbers mean?
That doesn't make sense either, there's no 8 days in a week LOL Anyone knows what the code means?

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:26 am

GarthKnight08 wrote:Speaking of which anybody want to trade my KITT 1:18 with the all clear fog lights for KARR 1:18 or Smokey & the Bandit 1:18? If so hit me up in PM.
You may also want to let people know which K.I.T.T. you are looking to trade. The one that has 6 clear fogs with black dots in the middle of each light or the one with 6 clear fogs (Identical to K.A.R.R.) and the painted voicebox.
Phil

J-Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by J-Knight » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:19 pm

Another thing is that the "6 clear fogs" were shabily glued on to a small indentation on the body. Where as the ones with black dots were held on by these black rods through to the inside of the body.
Devon-"Shall we drink to the start of.."
Michael-"Of what?"
Devon-"One mans Dream"

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:27 pm

PBH wrote:
KITTfan wrote: Anyone else have this kind of KITT model?
I own all 3 black K.I.T.T.'s & K.A.R.R. Never really cared for the chase car. What was the idea behind the series of chase cars and why were they called 'chase' anyways?
A "chase" item is a collectors term applied mostly to collectable cards and figures. It means a limited edition of something that is short packed as in one per box or case.

The term "chase" mostly refers to collectors buying various card packs and boxes to find that rare card which was typically either an autograph, hologram, sketch card, or some other specialty item applied to the card (chrome/foil stamping) that was produced in a limited run. You also find this term used recently in the Master Replicas .45 scale lightsaber line in which the "chase" lightsaber was a gold plated one, packed 2 per 50 cases or so making them incredibly hard to find.

I believe there were 2 "chase" KITT cars in the vacuumized chrome packed 2 per case shipped. I'm not entirely sure how many cars were shipped to hobby stores in each case because it varied from country to country.

I ran across these collecting dust on the shelf as well and always thought to myself, "Why would I need a silver car that looks like a cylon?" So I passed on purchasing them. I think they would have been smarter to make the "chase" car a KARR with the proper amber light in it and some other bonus feature you couldn't find or maybe a few redecos like the Junkyard Dog or Battle Damaged variants.

They were trying to make collectors hunt for the "chase" variant of KITT/KARR but the chrome angle just didn't make any sense so it really backfired.

Hope that helps shed some light on the subject.

=VK=
:dash:

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:16 pm

victor kros wrote:
Hope that helps shed some light on the subject.

=VK=
Does it ever! Thanks Victor!!!
Phil

GarthKnight08
FLAG Recruit

Post by GarthKnight08 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:00 am

KITTfan wrote:
GarthKnight08 wrote:Ive never heard of KITTs voicebox being painted, i just bought mine & it doesnt have it. Yours must have been made when KARR was made to have the voicebox painted. The General Lee looks awesome, did they announce KITT? Speaking of which anybody want to trade my KITT 1:18 with the all clear fog lights for KARR 1:18 or Smokey & the Bandit 1:18? If so hit me up in PM.
Thanks for the information, I had a feeling the painted voicebox may not be very common.
What's the serialnumber / production code in your model's box? My original KITT has 2914SS00, new KITT 3086WY00 and KARR's 1685SS00. The fourth number, does it tell the manufacturing year or design / revision year? If production year, then KARR had been in storage almost 2 years before I purchased it.

That General Lee looks AWESOME! I also hope they'll treat KITT and KARR models the same way :)
My code is 3644SS00 & its the one with all clear fog lights with the black dots in the middle & i dont believe they made a version KITT other than the chrome one with the all clear fog lights with no black dots.

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:27 am

GarthKnight08 wrote:
My code is 3644SS00 & its the one with all clear fog lights with the black dots in the middle & i dont believe they made a version KITT other than the chrome one with the all clear fog lights with no black dots.
Is it a KITT or KARR that you're talking about (3644SS00)?

I have 3 versions of KITT. The last release had NO black dots in the fog lights.
Phil

GarthKnight08
FLAG Recruit

Post by GarthKnight08 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:41 am

PBH wrote:
GarthKnight08 wrote:
Is it a KITT or KARR that you're talking about (3644SS00)?

I have 3 versions of KITT. The last release had NO black dots in the fog lights.
I was talking about KITT, do you have pics of the last release? Ive never seen one without the black dots except the chrome version.

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:52 am

GarthKnight08 wrote:...do you have pics of the last release? Ive never seen one without the black dots except the chrome version.
Unfortunately, my KITT's are in storage, so I can't take a photo. However, I did find this photo on-line. It's basically the same fog lights as found on KARR or the chrome chase KITT.
Phil

GarthKnight08
FLAG Recruit

Post by GarthKnight08 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:20 am

Wow i dont think to many people are aware of this just as the voicebox, good finds guys!

KnightGTP
Recruit

Post by KnightGTP » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:09 pm

Can anyone tell me wher I can find these? Are they even in stores anymore. I just see them on ebay for $50-75! :cry:
Also any news of future releases? Also check out what this guy did with his Kitt,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2ZCC7-V ... re=related

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn69xVsIA24&feature=user
1998 Pontiac GTP

cajunknight0153
Operative

Post by cajunknight0153 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:09 pm

i wanna know how to make my KITT model do that and how to make my KITT model into a SPM model

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:17 pm

Does anybody have any pictures of the chase KITT?

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:50 am

weeezl wrote:Does anybody have any pictures of the chase KITT?
Took me ages to track this down but here you go. Hopefully it will be up long enough for you to check it out.

=VK=
:dash:

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:02 am

Took me ages to track this down but here you go. Hopefully it will be up long enough for you to check it out.

=VK=
:dash:[/quote]

Thanks Buddy.

cajunknight0153
Operative

Post by cajunknight0153 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:02 pm

wow yall are dumb, that chrome KITT is not that hard to find. just go to like pretty much any diecast car website, for instance, i know for a fact that idcow.com has it

cajunknight0153
Operative

Post by cajunknight0153 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:05 pm

what i wanna know is how to make my diecast ERTL KITT's lights light up and how do i turn it into a SPM model like if i got another one, one for the lights and one for SPM?